Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is one of those series that seems like it will probably never end. The scale of the plot is just so massive. I don't know if they've stated it outright, but it also seems like people in the world of Tower of God live at least hundreds of years or are immortal or something. They've talked about decades as being a short amount of time to travel up X floors.

Are there any other Korean web-comics that are as good as this and Magician?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm under the impression that Wangnan is actually reasonably competent at fighting; it's just that most of the other prominent characters at this point are hyper-competent. I mean, he did manage to get up to floor 20 (or whatever that floor was where a bunch of people get stuck) and those bombs must be good for something. Not that this means he'll be able to fight against the two who just showed up, because he definitely won't.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I didn't realize Rachel was an irregular. I thought that she entered normally and didn't open the door like Baam.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He's probably going to be saved by being summoned by Koon, like Koon mentioned for his/Leesoo's plan. I'm OK with this, since it wouldn't really make any sense for Baam to be able to free himself here; FUG planned this out with the fact that he's an irregular in mind, and them simply overlooking some aspect of Baam's abilities would be a pretty lame way for this situation to be resolved.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

It was almost outright stated that he's the prince of Zahard, yeah. SIU has said that he hasn't unlocked his true power as well.

Holy crap, really? Can someone point me to where this was hinted at/stated?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

It's kinda hard to see why Baam and friends would need protection from Wingtree against FUG, they're becoming a pretty large and formidable group themselves.

As strong as some of those people are, they're still no match for most rankers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Do any of you read FUG as "fugg"? Because I do, and it always feels really goofy referring to this really menacing organization with a word that sounds like some slang insult, like a portmanteau for "fat thug" or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Wave posted:

To that end, if someone wildly reckless and pathetically weak like Wangnan doesn't die in the world of this manga, then who will?[/spoiler]

I'm under the impression that Wangnan isn't actually unusually weak; he just has had the misfortune of being pitted against abnormally strong people. With advice he was still capable of getting behind and beating those bee twins, and if you go back to the beginning of volume 2 he breaks Lurker's arm/knocks the shinsoo container out of his pocket despite Lurker trying to attack him. While he definitely had some sort of advantage in both situations and wouldn't have been able to win either on his own and without advice and/or the element of surprise, the enemies were both really strong and he wouldn't have been able to do even that much if he wasn't pretty competent.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Reiche posted:

He really, reeeaaalllly needs to finish this arc and take off as much time as he needs to get surgery and fully recover. He's even said himself that his wrist doesn't allow him to tell the story quite how he wants, especially with fights. I've definitely noticed a drop in the quality of the action scenes and it's a little bothersome as a fan.

I wonder how much pressure him/other Korean web comic artists get from Naver. I imagine it's not quite like webcomics in the US where they're self-published.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm catching up on the last like ~100 chapters and was wondering something: how are Baam and all the others paying for food/lodging while they train for all these tests and stuff? Is Khun really rich? Given Wangnan's back story it doesn't seem like regular's get all this stuff automatically paid for.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Another question that popped up: Why did Androssi (and I guess other people like Anak that are also super old) wait hundreds of years to start climbing the tower? Like, they were hundreds of years old when the story begins, so they had to have been doing something during that time. I would say "training so they could climb more easily", but it seems like climbing itself is way more time efficient on that front.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shakugan posted:

The main thing that makes no sense is how there are so many people on each floor. Because each person on a given floor has to have passed the floors below, yet passing each floor is some super difficult thing.

Are there quintillions of people on the lower floors, because it's the only explanation for how there are enough people for a crowd to exist at say, the workshop battle.

To be fair, you could have, say, a million people on floor X and have that be only a tiny fraction of several billion (and we know the tower is some huge planet-sized entity).

That being said, it doesn't make since how people like Androssi and some of Baam's other companions have managed to have trouble with tests while other mooks have supposedly passed the same tests.

edit: I just got to soon after Baam joins up with that martial arts guy. I like him, he seems pretty chill.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 21, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hm, so I'm guessing part of the reason Androssi is so much stronger than most other regulars is that she had a few hundred years to train before being selected as a regular. Was she chosen as a Zahard's Princess before becoming a Regular or after? Also, even though she's a lot stronger, it seems a lot more impressive for some of the other, younger Regulars (like, say, Hatsu) to be a fraction of her power at like 1/10 of her lifespan.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm at the part where Baam is losing his poo poo and Wangnan and Yeon are fighting Cassano.

So am I correct in thinking that, say, Quant (as a ranker) could wipe the floor with every one of the people involved in this fight? I'm wondering why FUG doesn't just send a single ranker along to completely nip any problems in the bud. Like, it's hard to think that anything going on is "serious business" when none of the parties involved can or are willing to devote rankers to the issue.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I think I'm able to put my finger on one of the few kind of inconsistent things I've noticed about Tower of God's setting. It seems really bizarre that Baam and the other main character have come into contact with so many 10 Family members. Even if the elder Koon (who I think is supposed to have the most wives) sired a child every single day, it still wouldn't explain coming across multiple of his children in both a relatively limited time and while traversing floors which supposedly have millions of regulars on them. I understand it being much better from a narrative standpoint to display the characteristics of some of the different families and what have you, but it doesn't jive with Tower of God's stated scale.

The one potential explanation for this that I could see being valid is if irregulars like Baam literally draw other important people to them through through the force of their fate, or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

Compared to other Irregulars we've heard about Baam's progress has been pretty relaxed.

Didn't Mazino take 100 years to climb the tower? If so, I think Baam is more or less keeping pace with him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

The real question is whether or not the other irregulars have shinsoo manipulation to the level baam has in that it appears living. Baam's weird situation before he entered the tower and being the main story does suggest he might be a creation of the tower

I think that it was stated at some point that being able to manipulate shinsoo without a contract with a guardian is something typical to regulars. If anything is unique to Baam, I would assume that it's his ability to easy copy anything, including things not related to shinsoo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Well, to be fair isn't Jinsung a total monster who is ranked in the top 100 or something?

Hypocrisy posted:

I was just thinking that the other irregulars we know of went straight to Zahard's palace or killed a Guardian. Compared to that, Baam's journey is pretty normal!

I don't think Enryu just appeared out of nowhere and suddenly killed a guardian. It doesn't seem to say anywhere how long he took to climb the tower, but there's no reason to think he hadn't already been there for 100+ years before killing the 43rd floor's guardian. Phantaminum is the only one that, at least from the descriptions given, sounds like he just appeared out of nowhere and attacked Zahard's palace.

Speaking of Phantaminum/Enryu, it seems kind of weird to me that Phantaminum is ranked #1 just for defeating a bunch of guards in Zahard's palace (who were all presumably weaker than Zahard himself), while Enyru is #2 despite killing a guardian, which is a completely unprecedented thing that not even the heads of the 10 families could accomplish.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 3, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Was it mentioned that Hachuling would be helping Koon/them out or was that supposed to be a surprise? Either way, I like those little reminders that this bigshot Hoaquin guy is still completely outclassed by a ranker. I find it helps to put Tower of God in perspective if you imagine all the Regulars in the same way you would children in school; the strongest kid in 4th grade is still no match for an adult.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

On the last panel of the latest chapter, is Baam using that skill that Mule Love was using (with the shinsoo discs)?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I don't totally understand is how anyone other than Baam and the other irregulars could become a slayer nominee. Don't you have to be an irregular to kill Jahad?

Also, it seems like Hoaquin (and his brothers) might be the sons of Arie Hon or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

i think most slayers are just for killing family heads, it only requires an irregular to kill zahard. which of course is still dumb they're potentially killing the only irregular they have control over assuming hwa ryun isn't part of fug

Ah, good point. Even though being willing to kill Baam is dumb as hell, I think it's been pretty solidly established that a bunch of people in FUG aren't exactly rational actors and are primarily loyal to whoever their "king" happens to be (for example Karaka in the case of the train conductor guy).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

its odd that rachel being an irregular seems to be completely ignored since baam isn't exactly quiet about his relationship

For whatever reason she doesn't have all the irregular-typical advantages that Baam has (like the huge shinsoo resistance and ability to instantly memorize techniques) and appears to be pretty average at combat. I think they took notice of Baam not only because he was an irregular, but also because he has some very powerful/unique abilities.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

while most irregulars are insanely powerful the real reason fug are interested is because they're the only people capable providing the killing blow. there is nothing to say rachel would be useless properly trained

She's not useless, but she has been more or less properly trained and advanced at a pretty average rate; judging from her recent fight with Koon, she seems to be in the ball park of his skill level (though not as good). So it makes sense to focus on Baam (though it would make even more sense to focus on both of them, which might actually be what's happening).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm super curious about what is going to transpire between this guardian guy and Baam and what he's supposedly going to teach him. Also, Baam continues to have balls of steel.

One thing I found interesting about this chapter is that it finally confirmed to us that Baam is weaker than Urek was at this current point in the Tower. Before, while Baam is obviously weaker than the current irregulars, it wasn't really clear whether his current strength was normal for an irregular. Chances are that Enryu was also stronger at this point, since he's ranked about on par with Mazino. Of course, Baam is still a huge badass that is stronger than pretty much any Regular with the same amount of experience, but he's not some demi-god like the other irregulars have been portrayed as.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe the cave Baam was in at the start of the series was actually the womb of the tower and Baam is actually a baby tower and will one day grow into a new tower

Did I just blow anyone's mind

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm super interested to find out what is up with Baam, and it looks like they might reveal something soon. I'm also curious about who the combined Hoaqin "siblings" are - maybe Arie Hon's child?

I'm wondering about what Yuri is going to do. I'm sure she can beat that FUG ranker (the conductor), but I don't think she would involve herself in the fighting among the regulars (not that she's allowed to in the first place). I feel like she wouldn't be there unless there was a good reason, but I can't think of what she might actually do. What is she wanting to meet Baam for in the first place (other than boning him)?

Regarding Rak fighting, I think the reason he doesn't fight that often is partly because it's kind of difficult to draw an interesting fight that involves his role as a spear bearer. He's mainly supposed to just snipe people with his spear and isn't really specialized in close melee (even though he can definitely hold his own).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Avulsion posted:

Also she wants to ask him how to make that stupid needle work.

I thought she already knew or at least had an idea that it's due to the needle only being into guys.

If she's coming to ask him to join Wingtree, I'm curious about how Baam would respond. My guess is that he would reject her offer, even though from our perspective it seems like a good idea to accept (from what we've seen, the Wingtree people seem like pretty cool folks). Baam doesn't really have any interest in escaping the tower or figuring out its mysteries.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nahxela posted:

I'm left wondering if Baam will actually get the opportunity to come back and finish his self discovery. I partly expect him to get thrown off track, yet again, because of one thing or another (or Rachel pushing him off a cliff)

Yeah, I'm expecting the same. Which is a shame, since it sounds like this revolution thing is really important. Ideally we just get a page after this is all done that says "and Baam went back to that guy for another few weeks before continuing on."

Speaking of which, Baam's buddies must have been bored as gently caress during those 3 weeks. I'm imagining them just sitting around playing word games and stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

He's not going to complete it for a while since that would put him on par with Zahard and the family heads.

I'm pretty sure that, if anything, it would just put him on par with Zahard and the family heads when they were at the same level of the tower, not magically make him as strong as they currently are.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pinegala posted:

When are we going to see Black March or the rest of the month weapons? They teased them with the workshop battle, but nothing happened

Probably not for a while. only a handful of the strongest folks (Zahard Princesses, I think) come into their possession, and the main characters aren't exactly at a level where they get much of a chance to interact with said characters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yuri is just so excited to see Baam :3:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Koon is such a cool character.

I'm proud of Baam for not freaking out and trying to jump in and save Rachel or something. Might not sound like much, but I could easily see him doing something so dumb in the past.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder if Vicente following Wangnan is related to Wangnan's uncanny ability to get people to trust/follow him.

This next game seems really complex and bizarre. Only 30 dallars for winning, but it costs 15 (or more) to close/open doors in the maze. I have a feeling this is going to last a really, really long time, given the scale of the game and how many people are involved. I also feel like there's a good chance Baam's team will lose, considering Khun won the previous round and comics like to alternate who has the advantage.

i wonder how much Rachel actually cares about what happened with Khun and Hoaqin's insults. While it sort of seemed like she was upset about it, Rachel is a strange character and I imagine she should have a fairly realistic understanding at this point of how underwhelming her own combat-related abilities are compared with most of her FUG peers and adversaries.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

uzek marino owning some fug people to leave baam alone would let him continue climbing without their presence and i don't think ToG would be worse off for fug not interfering with baam

I dunno, FUG and their relationship with Baam is a pretty massive part of the story. If you removed them from the picture, there's little overarching plot aside from "Baam climbing the tower." FUG is an interesting antagonist because they don't want to kill Baam (or at least most of them don't); they want to use his power to accomplish their goals.

While I guess Baam would help his buddies climb the tower, it would make for a much more boring story if the main protagonist had no motivation other than "helping his friends accomplish their goals/dreams."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

i think the problem with fug is either baam becomes a true irregular and fug can't touch him or he's hamstrung for the rest of the story to keep fug a threat. baam becoming a true irregular like has been hinted at would be good though

Baam being an irregular along the lines of Urek Mazino wouldn't mean he's untouchable; he might be the equivalent of a regular one or two ranks above his current rank or something, but Rankers would still be able to easily beat him until he reaches, at the very least, the higher parts of the tower.

nimby posted:

If fug loses to Baam but proudly proclaimed him as the new Slayer, Baam might get the established families after him. Could be a new source of conflict.

I hope Yuri doesn't end up misunderstanding Baam's situation (and thinking he willingly joined FUG) and becoming his enemy. Yuri x Baam is the best pairing for maximum creepiness (since Yuri is like hundreds of years old and Baam is a teenager). Actually, doesn't this also apply to Endorsi/Androssi (no idea how to romanize her name)? Baam should date Ehwa since she's the only girl around his age who has shown interest in him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Inflammatory posted:

didn't he fight a ranker more or less to a standstill early in part 2?

If you're talking about Mule Love, that was a game rather than a fight and Baam mostly just took him completely off guard (sort of like if you're an adult and you're about to fight a toddler, but it turns out the toddler is actually as a strong as a 5 year old and kicks you in the shin and it really hurts).

For a more recent example, I think that Daniel guy who Baam had a longish mostly-even fight with is just a really strong D class regular. From what we've been told, I think current Baam (ignoring any possible "power-ups" from talking to that guardian guy) is as strong as the strongest D class regulars.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Useless Name posted:

Even with FUG's hidden guys everyone they haven't come off as that powerful. 2nd and 20th floor admins are just in charge of the regular testing area, it's someone else who rules the entire floor. It just seems like the other powers don't really care about the lower floor testing areas. Most of the house family members probably reacted like Koon first did when hearing about a slayer candidate on the 20th floor, team princess only took notice of the FUG team until after they announced they killed Koon.

FUG can't even do secrecy right. The Zahard light bearer princess seems to generally know what they're up to, and at the end of workshop arc we find out that the head of one of the houses had been observing the entire event and had allowed FUG to get the thorn in the first place. As everyone climbs into the mid tier floors I think we'll see more of the power and influence of the Great Houses. Back on the second floor they made a big deal out of the consequences of helping an irregular, it would be nice to see that dark side of the tower.

I would clarify this - FUG is clearly quite powerful (I think their top person is one of the top 10 strongest Rankers), but also clearly not remotely a threat to Zahard/the 10 families.

logger posted:

I doubt Yuri will fall for the trick. The only reason the conductor told her that was because he thought she was acting under the orders of Jahad, when she actually belongs to Urek Mazino's group.

She still clearly reacted negatively to hearing that he was a slayer candidate, though; even though she doesn't identify with the 10 families, she still probably dislikes FUG. I also doubt that she'll end up being influenced by this, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Useless Name posted:

It would be cool if more info on the contracts of the tower were given. That's what has been said to really give the families their powers. By contract Zahard can't be killed by anyone born in the tower, and the contracts also give great power to the rankers and family members. Despite now being on the 36th floor, all the power-ups have been from training or gaining an item. We have seen that having the blood of a great family gives you certain extra powers like Ran's lightning spears and the mad dogs being bad rear end, hopefully this will be explained later on.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I'm pretty sure that being a Ranker doesn't inherently give you a power-up; it's just that you need to be super strong in order to become a Ranker in the first place. The same goes for the family members; the 10 family heads are really strong because they're all irregulars and the oldest humans in the tower, not (with the exception of Zahard's immortality) because of a power-up from a contract with the tower guardians. The family of the 10 family heads gain extra powers just because Tower of God seems to assume that a lot of the 10 heads' abilities would be passed down to their offspring genetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

Uzek marino climbed the tower faster than anyone by a long way so its probably safe to assume that he was probably close to being a ranker either when he started or about where Baam is. Baam is specifically unusual as an irregular in that he isn't insanely powerful from the start. How high someone is doesn't necessarily equate to how strong they are but i'd like to see baam show he's in fact really strong with this new thing because something has to give in the FUG plot

like i don't think baam is about to start curb stomping everyone if only because its not his personality

He climbed faster, but not insanely so; I think it said it took him 100 years (whereas I think it took Leroro 500), so it's not like he was just able to easily and instantly pass every test he encountered.