Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
"If You Could Save Yourself (You'd Save Us All)" is a wonderful piece of songwriting and has Gene's best vocals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Been watching the whole Red Rocks gig on youtube again, but man 'Did you see me?' just floors me on this performance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkp6-Dv8ZGQ&feature=related

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

nevermind

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 12, 2012

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I don't know about the office thing but the song is basically about Dean's lovely job working at a gas station before Ween took off.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

thepokey posted:

Been watching the whole Red Rocks gig on youtube again, but man 'Did you see me?' just floors me on this performance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkp6-Dv8ZGQ&feature=related

Jesus Christ, that intro O___O.

TheGreatDave
Apr 27, 2009

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/03/01/aaron_freeman_of_ween_on_his_solo_record_and_the_road_to_recovery.html

Interview of Gener and also a preview of one of the songs off the new album!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
thanks for that. it's great that he's getting well (though, isn't this his 2nd or 3rd time in rehab?) and doesn't seem to resent the whole "mythology" of Ween with respect to getting hosed up. can't wait to hear this record.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

not enough love for Buckingham Green which might be my all-time Ween favorite.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Buckingham Green" and "The Golden Eel," which are pretty similar to me, are the songs that sold me on Ween. The Mollusk in general is what got me into them. Especially the jump in genres nearly every song has on that album.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"Buckingham Green" and "The Golden Eel," which are pretty similar to me, are the songs that sold me on Ween. The Mollusk in general is what got me into them. Especially the jump in genres nearly every song has on that album.

Their oddball stuff is why I've heard of them, but the jumps in genre on almost every album are what keep me sold on their skills and songwriting. I probably got on board during their ubiquitous Chocolate & Cheese era with vague memories of seeing the "Push Th' Little Daisies" video too often in my mind. If we're doing a PYF I have the most fondness for "Birthday Boy", "Gabrielle", and "If You Could Save Yourself (You'd Save Us All)", but there's just so much I like in their whole collection I can't say for sure. And The Mollusk and White Pepper are truly remarkable albums when taken in completely.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

TheGreatDave posted:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/03/01/aaron_freeman_of_ween_on_his_solo_record_and_the_road_to_recovery.html

Interview of Gener and also a preview of one of the songs off the new album!

Christ. He's about to turn 42. He looks 20 years older than that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Gener just put Marvelous Clouds (his solo project) on soundcloud. It's very... different. Not really any ween style put on it at all. http://soundcloud.com/shore-fire-media-1/sets/aaron-freeman-marvelous-clouds

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Harminoff posted:

Gener just put Marvelous Clouds (his solo project) on soundcloud. It's very... different. Not really any ween style put on it at all. http://soundcloud.com/shore-fire-media-1/sets/aaron-freeman-marvelous-clouds

Unsurprisingly given the source material it reminds me a lot of the singer/songwriter stuff from the 60's. Like Simon & Garfunkel without the vocal harmony (or John Denver/James Taylor/whoever) and with some synths. A non-Brown folk 12 Golden Country Greats perhaps.

The album's title track would fit just fine on a latter-day Ween album, but the rest is pretty much just uplifting pop-folk or whatever we're calling that genre now. One By One could be on the Friends EP I suppose. Fortunately, Aaron's voice works pretty well with that style.

I think I'll end up buying a copy to support the great cause of Gener sobriety, but I don't think it'll see as much play as a non-Cucaracha Ween album for me. It's still quite pleasant in any case.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I preordered a copy at a record store and really am digging the stream he put up. It's definitely different and not very Ween-like. But I like that he's done something different enough to not just be trying to be a solo version of Ween.
I admit I would prefer to have him write his own stuff, but he said he would be for the next one. Marvelous Clouds (the song) is great.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the album. It's not remarkable or anything but it's a very "pleasant" listen. That said, give us a new Ween album now.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
The album is very nice sounding, especially the title track. But I feel like I would be enjoying it more if Gene had actually written the songs.

Abu Dave posted:

That said, give us a new Ween album now.

This too. It's been way too long. I'd even settle for a Shinola Volume 2 at this point.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

weirdojace posted:

This too. It's been way too long. I'd even settle for a Shinola Volume 2 at this point.

Me too but it doesn't sound like it's too likely to happen any time soon.

Dean Ween posted:

We put out [the unreleased-songs compilation] Shinola, and I had really mixed emotions about doing it. I don't like to do anything that feels reflective or retrospective when we're still making new records. It's not a healthy thing to do. We called it Volume 1, but I don't know if I want to go through that again anytime soon. The songs on that record are songs we regretted not putting on other records. There was no going through tapes trying to find stuff.
From an A.V. Club interview.

:smith:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Missed this somehow, but Gene also recently made a soundcloud page with some solo stuff. Pretty weird stuff http://soundcloud.com/a-freeman

It's some weird spoken word stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did anyone buy the album and know if Mickey played on anything? Spotify doesn't have album linear notes.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Did anyone buy the album and know if Mickey played on anything? Spotify doesn't have album linear notes.

I don't think he did. I was actually fishing with him a month ago and mentioned Aaron's album because we were talking about 12GCG and they were produced by the same guy, but Mickey hadn't even heard any of it at the time

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Abu Dave posted:

Aside from Aaron, the other listed musicians are Carl Byron, Ryan Shmedly Maynes, Paul Masvidal, Lucas Cheadle, Robert Peterson, Kevin Jarvis, and Gwendolyn and Brandon Jay. And while I'm at it: Produced by Ben Vaughn, Engineered by Alfonso Rodenas and Kevin Jarvis, Mixed by Rich Mouser.

I had to transcribe that from the CD case since the pdf booklet that came with the mp3 download version doesn't have a credit page for some reason. It does have handwritten lyrics and many bonus doodles though. So that's nice.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks guys thats a shame. Hope there isn't a serious riff between them :ohdear:.

Whodat you have to tell us about fishing with him. Is it as amazing as it sounds?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I think the album's pretty good! A little campy, but it has a nice, lightweight pop feel, kind of like what would have happened had they made a hard turn in the direction of White Pepper. Feel like this is the type of album that Elvis Costello would have done (poorly) and I can't help feel its a little tongue-in-cheek.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Thanks guys thats a shame. Hope there isn't a serious riff between them :ohdear:.

Whodat you have to tell us about fishing with him. Is it as amazing as it sounds?

It was fun. We went for my friend's bachelor party. Mickey is super awesome and real funny. We didnt catch anything though. He was pretty bummed out about it because he only has 2 or 3 days like that. I think the groom and me and another guy are gonna go again next year and hopefully have more luck. Haha, Mickey said he wants a shot at redemption

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
And they're done. Officially. I'm literally very depressed right now.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God loving damnit.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/aaron-freeman-closes-the-book-on-ween-20120529

The article for people who don't know.

e; Mickey posted on facebook that he didn't learn about it until just now. Ugh.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 29, 2012

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I'm gonna take this with a grain of salt, for one, he said it's 'pretty much' over. No bands break up forever these days. At the moment it seems like they were on a hiatus anyway. That's what bands do now, 'hiatus' instead of break up. Also, it's the kind of quote that seems to need a bit of context. And didn't Claude say he was quitting awhile back? But then play every show with them anyway? I dunno, just seems weird to come out and say it in Rolling Stone.

Also, where are people seeing this on Facebook? I don't see it on the Ween page.

edit- found it:
https://www.facebook.com/ween/posts/10150851696028564

global tetrahedron fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 30, 2012

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Just found out about them breaking it up. It makes me sad, I've associated so much of my life with certain songs of theirs. Have this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGlTZp_mbRQ

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

My Little Puni posted:

Just found out about them breaking it up. It makes me sad, I've associated so much of my life with certain songs of theirs. Have this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGlTZp_mbRQ

That same show also has the most mind-blowing Zeppelin cover I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uG7VoLvWQ

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

That show is terrific, the very best of Ween, I think. The nailed every song and made it more amazing than any recording. Man, this news has made me really really sad.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Boognish never dies.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I was hoping for a farewell tour, at least :(

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

me your dad posted:

I was hoping for a farewell tour, at least :(

As a huge fan I'm more pissed about the way this info came out than the news itself, but you could argue that it's been a long farewell tour for a while now with Gener's escalating on-stage antics and lack of recording. After the release of Quebec Deaner said they would never take that long to make another record (nearly 4 years), but they eclipsed that mark a long time ago. He sounded pretty disillusioned with the idea of recording again, but I figured some time off and letting Aaron do his thing would eventually bring everyone back in the fold. Instead we get a quote in a loving Rolling Stone article and the public gets to find out just like Mickey. I'm hoping there's more to the story here or it's just a really lovely move on Gener's part

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Gene probably associates being in Ween with being hosed up and if he's making an honest and serious effort to get clean then all bets are off on rational, decent behavior regarding Ween.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
After a long, lovely work day I get a text message from a coworker that Ween has broken up. It really can't get too much worse than this.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

lovely news indeed but I'd rather have Gener remain clean and alive. Getting up on stage and singing Booze Me Up And Get Me High probably won't help much on that front.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah this is really lovely, but like others have said I doubt it spells the absolute end, I'm sure they'll ride once more down the road eventually. But even so. But yeah the way it came about and Deaners facebook reaction to it kind of sucks. There seems like a lot of that with them lately though, like when Deaner released the Caesar Tapes and Gene came out and said it was a shock to him that he did and he wished he hadn't. Seems like communication may have fizzled a little in the break.

I'm hoping maybe after Aaron gets another record or 2 under his belt that they might start thinking about it again "well back in 2012 it seemed like the right thing to do, but it's 2017 now and it just feels right to bring back ween".

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Happy Hippo posted:

Boognish never dies.

The Boognish is dead, long live the Boognish! :(

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Yeah, of any band that's in a fractured state, I think Ween is one of the most likely I'd nominate for a reunion down the road. In the meantime, I guess I finally have an excuse for picking up the Ween albums I somehow don't own.

This news comes right in the midst of my recent obsession with The Mollusk, too. I've been listening to that drat thing at least twice a day while in the car and I'm not even remotely tired of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
It's shocking how old Gene looks. We're the same age. In fact he was born three days before me, but then again my biggest vice is having a cocktail when I come home from work. He looks 10 years older.