Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
He looked pretty good on the solo tour after marvelous clouds came out. He was in shape and you could tell he was clean. He looks like dogshit now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

From where I was standing, Gener looked like he was having the most fun onstage. And that's saying something considering this happened for a split second:

Sure, Gene Ween looks like a melting wax figure of Gene Ween, but those two dudes had to be dragged offstage, they didn't want to stop playing. Apparently the rest of the band was tying up officials trying to pull the plug on the show while they played Fluffy Cloud. Heigography or not, that show completely destroyed me, it was outstandingly stupid, utter loving nonsense and I loved it very much.

EDIT: ultimately in regards to Gener's looks, I just take it as a warning sign not to get into heroin. He seems to be in a good place mentally, which is where it matters most.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 20, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

For a man that’s been reported dead I think he looks fine. Sure beats the hell out of dead or fat Gene.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Truly, the real miracle of these Edgefield shows is that we didn't get Mr. Richard Smoker on either night.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

From where I was standing, Gener looked like he was having the most fun onstage. And that's saying something considering this happened for a split second:

Sure, Gene Ween looks like a melting wax figure of Gene Ween, but those two dudes had to be dragged offstage, they didn't want to stop playing. Apparently the rest of the band was tying up officials trying to pull the plug on the show while they played Fluffy Cloud. Heigography or not, that show completely destroyed me, it was outstandingly stupid, utter loving nonsense and I loved it very much.

EDIT: ultimately in regards to Gener's looks, I just take it as a warning sign not to get into heroin. He seems to be in a good place mentally, which is where it matters most.

drat. Wish I had seen the Sat. show. Friday was fun but Saturday sounded epic.

Kinda hilarious. I hadn't been around a jam band crowd in about 20 years. We were were surrounded by these frat looking kids doing weird sexy/grinding/lapdance? hippy dancing and twirling. Made for fun people watching. My wife and I liked it very much.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

sporklift posted:

drat. Wish I had seen the Sat. show. Friday was fun but Saturday sounded epic.
From my experience (these were my 9th and 10th shows), Night One tends to be the straight-forward warm-up night and Night Two is where all hell breaks loose - super brown, full of jamming and constant loving around (What the gently caress, Enter Sandman?!). But then again the only night 3 I've been to was Vegas, and that was a total shitshow mess.

Here's a couple more shots, mostly from the first night! I didn't get many pictures night 2 due to bird drugs and all.

sporklift posted:

Kinda hilarious. I hadn't been around a jam band crowd in about 20 years. We were were surrounded by these frat looking kids doing weird sexy/grinding/lapdance? hippy dancing and twirling. Made for fun people watching. My wife and I liked it very much.
The traditional Jam Band scene is absolutely not for me, but Ween crowds tend to be the goofiest, friendliest fuckers I interact with at any shows I go to. And they're all handing out pins and stickers and staging puppet shows.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

From my experience (these were my 9th and 10th shows), Night One tends to be the straight-forward warm-up night and Night Two is where all hell breaks loose - super brown, full of jamming and constant loving around (What the gently caress, Enter Sandman?!). But then again the only night 3 I've been to was Vegas, and that was a total shitshow mess.

Here's a couple more shots, mostly from the first night! I didn't get many pictures night 2 due to bird drugs and all.

The traditional Jam Band scene is absolutely not for me, but Ween crowds tend to be the goofiest, friendliest fuckers I interact with at any shows I go to. And they're all handing out pins and stickers and staging puppet shows.
Rad pics man. Yeah we could only go Friday. It was fun but we were kinda stuck in "Little Beaverton" withe the dudebro hippies. It was funny watching this chick grind her crotch in her boyfriend's face to a Ween song. And we got to hear the soundcheck of party wich was cool.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Can someone recommend a good quality live recording on Browntracker?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Can someone recommend a good quality live recording on Browntracker?

I had a great Live at the Orpheum album, see if you can track that down.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It ain't Browntracker, but Archive.org has some real nice recordings of the Portland shows:

8/17
8/18

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

caligulamprey posted:

It ain't Browntracker, but Archive.org has some real nice recordings of the Portland shows:

8/17
8/18

drat thanks for the heads up on these, they're great!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nice, getting those.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

thepokey posted:

drat thanks for the heads up on these, they're great!

:yossame: Great shows, great recordings, those are pro clicks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just announced: Ween will be playing the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in San Francisco running October 5th-7th which is free to the public.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
thanks so much for those links. only up to "The Rift" on the first one but this is already so drat good

always wished Ween had more live albums, though if there are this many high-quality recordings on archive.org, who needs 'em

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't listen to many live albums, but downloading these works for me due to a sense of deprivation born from wishing there were twice as many albums in their discography, and that some of their better songs seem like they have concepts that could have been stretched to an album's length if they were lazier/not lazier. That, and the live versions of some of these songs are pretty significantly different from the studio tracks, it's like a new take on the same good-rear end music.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The live Country Tour Sampler from 1996 (unreleased) is some of their best live material in my opinion:

Playlist video - not sure how it will embed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LEpWTXVDBg

There's also live at the Orpheum 2003, which has awesome audio quality and a great set list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUDT_CMAHC0

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

me your dad posted:

There's also live at the Orpheum 2003, which has awesome audio quality and a great set list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUDT_CMAHC0
This, then: https://archive.org/details/ween2003-10-03-flac16

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
One of my favorites:

https://archive.org/details/Ween1999-11-07

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

This was the recording I was referring to above. I was phone posting at the time so I couldn't hunt it down.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I wanna single out this very specific post-meltdown version of Spinal Meningitis that runs eight and a half goddamn minutes that is so good/horrific, I wouldn't be surprised if I've linked it before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UaxDlJEc3k

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Ween loving Rules

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Best poopship. It turns into something really special at 1130 and could stand on its own. Kind of surprised this is the only time they did this but then again it's ween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diSCBdOD0gQ

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Harminoff posted:

Best poopship. It turns into something really special at 1130 and could stand on its own. Kind of surprised this is the only time they did this but then again it's ween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diSCBdOD0gQ

This is great.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Yeah. That's dope as gently caress.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I was at that show.
Yeah I was

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 30, 2018

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Great DWG show on the harbor cruise tonight, was anyone else there?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This fun. Ween is fun.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Naw Gene looks like poo poo. Dean looks fine. But, I mean, sometimes people just age terribly without the help of drugs or alcohol.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ahahaha, even Deaner had to talk some poo poo about that awful Metallica clip where they play When Doves Cry:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

Ahahaha, even Deaner had to talk some poo poo about that awful Metallica clip where they play When Doves Cry:

That legit sounded like one of those old Shreds videos at the beginning

And at the middle, and the end

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Anyone know of any heavy live versions of Can You Taste the Waste? I'm surprised it's not a bigger live song. I could see it sounding like the Melvins live.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

me your dad posted:

Anyone know of any heavy live versions of Can You Taste the Waste? I'm surprised it's not a bigger live song. I could see it sounding like the Melvins live.
It's definitely at the top of my want list considering It's only been played once. In Australia. In 1995.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Shintaro Sakamoto sounds a bit like the Zoloft side of Ween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLa6Gan_lIE

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Schnitzel Records on FB is currently hyping a re-release of Live in Toronto on vinyl! :dance:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

quote:

ween—basel, ch — So……if you think you’re down with the brown….old school……this is the reality of Brown. We rolled into Basel Switzerland while promoting our first album by touring Europe from September of 1990 to March of 1991. We lived in our tour manager’s apartment (Rene De Wever) in Eindhoven, Holland for 6 MONTHS and would jump off to other countries in his Renault Le Car with our tape deck and play gigs for gas and shelter, the three of us. This is us in Basel, Switzerland in front of NO PEOPLE (except Rene), until the end of the gig when we had 5 people. Our sound guy was named Pidah, and this is the best Ween show of all time. On my birthday I GIVE IT TO YOU. I’ve submitted this for consideration as a live Ween record and no one has ever gotten back to me — so here it is…………..I humbly lay this at your feet………listen up and learn what Brown can do for you…..this is pure Ween……..

https://archive.org/details/WeenLive1990BaselCh

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The Basel recording is awesome. It's cool hearing the GWS material right around when it came out. They still had the same energy to do some of those songs properly. Nowadays some of those songs can sound pretty ridiculous when sung by a 47 year old Gener.

With Spotify now accepting uploads from artist, it would be great if Deaner would start uploading some of this stuff. He said he shopped this recording around to get it released but was generally ignored.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 1, 2018

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

me your dad posted:

Nowadays some of those songs can sound pretty ridiculous when sung by a 47 year old Gener.

The funniest part for me is watching the sound guys work with 100% earnest professionalism when they're performing a song like Nan on stage

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

While they're still listed as unconfirmed, I'm gonna assume that Ween will be streaming from the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival tonight at 5:50 PST: http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2018/webcast/sun-swantowers.shtml

EDIT: Now they're confirmed to stream! Woo!

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
My brother and wife are there and said they'll playing but who knows.

Also props to whoever came up with Doobie Decibel System.