Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe it's Dancing in the Show Tonight? Theres a little bit in the solo that sounds like some kind of weird flute like instrument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Nope and nope. It's much higher and squeakier than those. The song was along the lines of I'm Fat style-wise. It's not so much a melody as it is someone blowing as hard as they can into a penny whistle or recorder or something, and then sped up on tape.

snorch fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 16, 2012

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
So, is there anywhere you can get the Live at Chicago DVD for reasonable price?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New Aaron Freeman track. An actual song, not that weird spoken word thing https://soundcloud.com/a-freeman/genene

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 18, 2012

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

snorch posted:

It's not so much a melody as it is someone blowing as hard as they can into a penny whistle or recorder or something, and then sped up on tape.

I just love that this can be a description for a Ween song, and that it still has big fans scratching their heads as to what it could be.

Do you know if the recording sounded professional or did it have the sound of a demo/unreleased type track? Would help into knowing if it's something from an album or something else.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Sleepstupid posted:

Ha, drat, I bought mine on Amazon for like 8 bucks a few years ago. Looking at the prices now, I'd almost be willing to part with it.

Nah.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah I had no idea it was out of stock/worth anything now.

Looks like Mickey is looking to use kickstarter for the moistboyz project. Might be the first kickstarter that I throw money at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCFq_OoVFC4

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Sleepstupid posted:

Wow, I got my copy of Live in Chicago at a used CD store for about 7 dollars last summer. I can't believe the price shot up like that.

If you can find a copy of it, it's definitely worth getting. The concert is fantastic.

Harminoff posted:

New Aaron Freeman track. An actual song, not that weird spoken word thing https://soundcloud.com/a-freeman/genene

It sounds like it's about Aaron's transformation from Gene Ween into somebody new.

weirdojace fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 18, 2012

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

thepokey posted:

Do you know if the recording sounded professional or did it have the sound of a demo/unreleased type track? Would help into knowing if it's something from an album or something else.

Could have been a demo, could have been on an album. Sounded like their typical 4-track tape stuff.

e: Found it. It was I Saw Gener Cryin' in his Sleep

snorch fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 18, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

snorch posted:

e: Found it. It was I Saw Gener Cryin' in his Sleep

Makes sense now. I know just the part you're talking about but never would have thought of it otherwise. I always thought it was just plain ol' whistlin'.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 18, 2012

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

weirdojace posted:

It sounds like it's about Aaron's transformation from Gene Ween into somebody new.

Into a woman?

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Possibly.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
And now it's gone.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

And now it's gone.

The song? It's there, but all comments previously posted are gone.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.

Harminoff posted:

It's way better than I thought it was going to be before I clicked, but it's only ok.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I'm trying to work out what other band/sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMWBGBX8Oco
I can't for the life of me place that sound :mad:

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

toggle posted:

I'm trying to work out what other band/sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMWBGBX8Oco
I can't for the life of me place that sound :mad:

I really wish there was a better quality version of that song because it rules.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
All I've done over the Christmas holidays is listen to Ween and smoke weed.

Honestly, these holidays > 2006 in Bali

edit: my favourite song is Pass The Bong. "Ooh la, ooh lalala"

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got Quebec on vinyl and had a hearty laugh at them listing the lyrics and personal for every song, but once you get to The hosed Jam it just says "Nope."

:worship: Ween

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

I got Quebec on vinyl and had a hearty laugh at them listing the lyrics and personal for every song, but once you get to The hosed Jam it just says "Nope."

:worship: Ween

When Pure Guava first came out, they had a note to send a request and maybe a dollar for lyrics so I did. They sent back some photocopied sheets of handwritten lyrics. Some songs had "??????" in some spots where I guess they didn't even know what the gently caress they themselves were singing.

I wish I had kept that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woah that sounds amazing. drat.

It seems all the albums have gone OOP, and I don't have a ebay account so i've been trying to track them down. Just managed to find Quebec so far :(

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

me your dad posted:

When Pure Guava first came out, they had a note to send a request and maybe a dollar for lyrics so I did. They sent back some photocopied sheets of handwritten lyrics. Some songs had "??????" in some spots where I guess they didn't even know what the gently caress they themselves were singing.

I wish I had kept that.

I'm sure they didn't considering that album was recording while on a ton of mushrooms.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm currently listening to Live at Stubbs for the first time. What a kick rear end show that was!

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

It seems all the albums have gone OOP, and I don't have a ebay account so i've been trying to track them down. Just managed to find Quebec so far :(

Can't you just order them from http://www.chocodogmerch.com/ or am I misunderstanding something?

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
They're out of stock if you actually try to buy them.

The only one I'm missing on vinyl is Pure Guava. Seems like I'll never be able to find it for a decent price. Still kicking myself for not buying it that one time I saw it in a record store.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

weirdojace posted:

They're out of stock if you actually try to buy them.

The 'Shinola' vinyl isn't out of stock.

Incidentally, guess which was the only thing I tried to see if there was stock.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I like Shinola but I want a copy of The Mollusk and White Pepper. :(

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
The Mollusk, 12 Golden Country Greats, and White Pepper can still be found in some record stores, I would think.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
The copy of The Mollusk I have came in a bad rear end marbled aqua colour. Also, the record shop I frequent had Pure Guava last time I was there...along with most of their other albums. I know where I'm going after work!

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
There's two pressings of The Mollusk out there, the original 1997 pressing on black vinyl, and the Plain Recordings reissue from 2010, which is on the badass marbled aqua colored vinyl. Also, the Plain Recordings version of White Pepper is on white vinyl, and 12 Golden Country Greats is on marbled brown vinyl.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Well I guess my vinyl box set with 12 Golden Country Greats, The Mollusk, and White Pepper is worth way more than the $100 I paid for it last year

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That boxset goes for like $300. It's nuts.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe you guys can help me; Does anyone have a copy of The Mollusk? Is it teal colored? I just got mine today but it's not teal, it's black. And I can't find any record of a US released Black version of it on Discog. Worried I got a counterfeit. :ohdear:

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Weird! The only black version of The Mollusk that I know of is the original pressing from 1997. And if that's the case, you struck gold, cause I've seen that go for a lot of money on eBay. Does your record say Plain Recordings on the back? All of the Plain Recordings copies should be teal colored.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it's a Plain Recordings version. It sounds fine, but it's weird that it's not teal. I got White Pepper from the same retailer and that one is white also. :iiam: Thank you for answering though.

Quartknee
Mar 20, 2009
They really messed up by not releasing chocolate and cheese on brown/yellow. It's 2 LPs for fucks sake!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

It came from Reddit

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
That's pretty neat. I was just talking about Quebec yesterday when I was reminded how good it was. Synchronicity! Or something.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So Quebec is from that game, The Pod is adapted from Leonard Cohen's Greatest Hits album, and Chocolate & Cheese is inspired by a Commodores cover. I wonder where the others came from...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Pure Guava was a made from a Gerber baby food flavor (Guava, obviously), and the typeface and graphic was ripped exactly on the album cover . I wish I had saved the labels, the ones they make now have a different design and font.

HerzogZwo fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 19, 2013