Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Gener's Gone, in case anybody forgot.

(Haven't listened yet. At work.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
I'm just so happy to hear from Aaron at all. After the lukewarm reception to Marvelous Clouds, I was sorta terrified he would find he didn't want/need the performing life in sobriety. Or simply that he couldn't do it anymore for Reasons. He said it right there in the interview, he wasn't even sure if he'd cut another album again.

Disheartening as it is to see him clam up on the topic of Deaner, it will make the dream of the Ween reunion all that sweeter. They're brothers in spirit and for that reason alone I hope they mend their fences one day, music notwithstanding.

But there's a proper Aaron Freeman album on the way and that's enough for me!

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Harminoff posted:

How about some FREEMAN the band. http://www.freemantheband.com/

Really enjoying the new track. New album July 22.

http://www.freemantheband.com/

Team Deaner, Team Freeman, what cd will be best?

Oh man. Yay so much. Freeman is back.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Harminoff posted:

Freeman is out. Not as weird as I would like, and opening track is pretty :( but pretty solid album.

Where? I have a vinyl preordered, but the site still says July 22 release.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

PopZeus posted:

Blanking on La Cucaracha and Pure Guava options.

It's categorically un-Ween, but "Sweetheart in the Summer" is nothing if not poppy/pretty.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Allen Wren posted:

So this is probably the sort of thing that could get me strung up, but while I definitely dig the more psychotic moments in the guys' back catalog, I think the first sound of theirs that really made me sit up and take notice back in the day was the back-to-back soft-psych-rock pairing of Ice Castles and Back to Basom on White Pepper. Is there any other material, maybe lurking in stuff I might not have heard, that's got them looking at a mellower mood?

Mollusk has some really great songs in this vein. I don't hear a lot of praise for "Pink Eye (On My Leg)" but I love it. And of course the title track.

How old do the Shinola tracks date? I know it's stuff that didn't make the cut from multiple albums, but I wouldn't guess any of them were older than, say, Mollusk. Also I know Deaner wanted to close Quebec with "Someday".

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Fuckin right, Glenn would rather be with (Dean) Ween. That's enough for me.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Somebody fed me some some shinfo about Ween and Prince having made an album together that got put away in Prince's big ol' vault, I was a bit disappointed to find out it was not true. The story Dean told to Rolling Stone about being tossed out of Paisley Park was kinda funny, though.

Between this, the Santana story, and the Ask Deaner archives (did anyone think to save these?), Deaner must have a ton more in his own vault. Dude needs to write a book.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I gotta hear the Santana story, link or just c+p it?

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=660411920707014&set=a.660411887373684.1073741829.596658890415651&type=1

Doing this from my phone so my bad if the link is hosed. Google it if all else fails.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

caligulamprey posted:

Front-rowed that poo poo. Stumbled out of the venue not knowing what to do with myself after that Fluffy.

Oh man they closed with Fluffy? Was it ten minutes long like the poo poo Creek version?

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
I'm happy for you Deaner, even if you did post a video of you torching a copy of The Kids Are Alright.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

me your dad posted:

Overall I'm happy with the album. It doesn't feel very 'album like', but what Ween album ever has, except the country album.

Obviously what one considers "album like" is highly subjective, but for my money? Everything from Country Greats to Quebec is a solid, coherently themed album. Not a proper "concept album", because Ween are above that poo poo.

Mollusk is a no-brainer: the deep, green nautical album. Ocean Man, Blarney Stone, Mutilated Lips, the title track, Golden Eel, Polka Dot Tail, Pink Eye, She Wanted to Leave are all obviously linked to this theme, either in lyrics or in sound (warbly guitars, lots of reverb that makes it sound like you're hearing it underwater, etc). I think the only tracks that outright deny this are Dancing in the Show Tonight, Waving My Dick in the Wind and Jonny on the Spot. That's only 3 of 14, and because they're still as Ween as the rest of the album, they fit in just fine on it. Could be argued that their "traditional" style makes them the anchor holding the ship in place. Or just whatever.

White Pepper is the "pop" "throwback" record. I know, I know, it's hard to call that a distinguishing feature; Ween have ALWAYS been in the business of stylistic homages and unforgettable hooks. But WP is definitely their "cleanest" record to date, their closest attempts to truly emulate the giants that influence them. Is it a coincidence that they (sort of) toned down their dirtiness to do that? Yes, probably. But I'm free to interpret as I like. :colbert:

Quebec is the yin-yang album. Equal parts light and dark, cheer and despair. Gene and Dean obviously had a lot of demons to purge when making the record, and they balance that with a lot of saccharine brightness in the sound, as if they're trying to make it clear that the brightness is a front for some seriously nasty poo poo. (Happy Colored Marbles, anyone?)

What makes Ween great is that they never changed the way they write songs to fit these themes. They just do what they do in the general direction of a theme. Or, probably more likely, they do what they do and the theme sort of reveals itself. All three of these albums are brown, but they're each a distinct shade of brown.

After a killer trilogy like that, is it any wonder La Cucaracha is kind of a letdown?

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Beastie posted:

No man I loved La Cucaracha. It took like a year but it's fun. Lame as hell but fun.

How could you not love Woman and Man, Your Party, Shamemaker?!

Ahhhhh, I guess I came off pretty hard on it. "Let down" and all.

BUT I like Cucaracha! I really do! It's just not as coherent and amazing as the other three I talked about.

When I saw Ween live in 2011 they played "Learnin' to Love" and I danced like a drunk ding dong, it was great. I love Ween.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Allen Wren posted:

I do think Shamemaker is really really bad, but I like a lot of the other parts on that album.

Shamemaker, Fruit Man, and Spiritwalker are all kinda duds to me. But I adore With My Own Bare Hands. Also, sorry Gener, LP Friends > EP Friends.

Oddly enough I love everything else on the Friends EP.

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 21, 2016

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
And this is purely my speculation, but it probably is MUCH easier for Gene to stay on the wagon this way. Hard partying on long tours got him to rock bottom.

I just hope they do another album someday.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

me your dad posted:

Got tickets this morning to the Charlottesville show :woop:

Edit: RIP King Billy
http://www.factmag.com/2017/01/18/william-onyeabor-dead-70/

Never knew that's who inspired the tune. Having a really good time getting into his stuff. Pity it took his death for me to discover him.

Friends EP is great, but I prefer the album cut of "Friends".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Every piece of Ween history that surfaces increasingly frustrates me. It's always so good and makes me wish the boys would take 6 months and literally write the book of Ween.

But I'll take what I can get.