Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

TheGreatDave posted:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/03/01/aaron_freeman_of_ween_on_his_solo_record_and_the_road_to_recovery.html

Interview of Gener and also a preview of one of the songs off the new album!

Christ. He's about to turn 42. He looks 20 years older than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Did anyone buy the album and know if Mickey played on anything? Spotify doesn't have album linear notes.

I don't think he did. I was actually fishing with him a month ago and mentioned Aaron's album because we were talking about 12GCG and they were produced by the same guy, but Mickey hadn't even heard any of it at the time

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Thanks guys thats a shame. Hope there isn't a serious riff between them :ohdear:.

Whodat you have to tell us about fishing with him. Is it as amazing as it sounds?

It was fun. We went for my friend's bachelor party. Mickey is super awesome and real funny. We didnt catch anything though. He was pretty bummed out about it because he only has 2 or 3 days like that. I think the groom and me and another guy are gonna go again next year and hopefully have more luck. Haha, Mickey said he wants a shot at redemption

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

I just feel bad for Mickey. It's not like he doesn't have anything else to do since he goes fishing every day, but he told me last month that he thought they were gonna start trying to do 2 or 3 night stands in different cities and avoid festivals, etc. Seems like he was letting Aaron do his own thing for a while but still wanted to go back to touring with Ween soon.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

If anyone listens to Bullseye with Jesse Thorn, Gene is on the most recent podcast, but he pretty much just talks about some Bob Marley song the whole time. Basically it's not worth listening to and I don't even know why it was included on the show.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

weirdojace posted:

A local record store had Live in Toronto on vinyl in stock for the longest time and I just never got it. It's gone now and I really regret not getting it now.

You can buy it from the Ween site

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Well dang. I thought they had some on Friday.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

toggle posted:

I'm trying to work out what other band/sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMWBGBX8Oco
I can't for the life of me place that sound :mad:

I really wish there was a better quality version of that song because it rules.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Well I guess my vinyl box set with 12 Golden Country Greats, The Mollusk, and White Pepper is worth way more than the $100 I paid for it last year

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Slackerish posted:

Oh. I figured the "it'll be released soon" meant it was actually recorded in August.

We'll see. I hated Marvelous Clouds/kinda hate Gene for how he went about all of this so I haven't been following him- is he doing any solo shows? any interviews?

He was on Bullseye with Jesse Thorn (podcast) for about 5-10 minutes talking about some Bob Marley song he liked when he was a kid. Other than that, nothing I know of.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

me your dad posted:

Saw the Dean Ween Group in DC last night. It was a great show but I was very disappointed Glenn wasn't there (I read somewhere he was part of this tour). I got wayyyyy more drunk than I had planned and I only remember bits and pieces of getting home. Finally shook my hangover around 2:00 this afternoon (while taking care of our 7 month old twins, no less).

Does anyone know who the new vocalist is who filled in for Gener's parts?

I think his name is Scott something. I thought it was Glenn with longer hair, but I was kinda farther back on the balcony at that show.

The band was great, but that was by far the smallest crowd I've ever seen at the 9:30 Club. I've gone to a pretty fair amount of shows there over the last 5 years, and I'd say most of the ones I've gone to sold out. There were maybe 30-40 people on the balcony, which is usually pretty crowded, and there was a lot of empty floor space. It was kinda sad. Maybe a lot of people just didn't know Deaner was touring, but I can't help but wonder if the turnout was so low because Gener wasn't there. I just feel so bad for these guys that they're probably touring and playing these songs because they're broke after one of the band members unilaterally ended everything 3 years ago, and people aren't coming out to see them. But maybe it was just a small crowd in DC.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Pittsburgh was totally jam packed.

That's good. Guess there just aren't a ton of Ween fans in DC

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

me your dad posted:

It really is, and the last two times he's been in the area he's gone to Baltimore. I don't recall how the audience sizes stacked up, but I hope he'll continue to come to DC for shows. An hour's drive home after a good show is a pretty big barrier to a rowdy night.

I think they would've been better suited for Black Cat on 14th St, or maybe even U St Music Hall. Gener played at Rock and Roll Hotel last October, but that place definitely would've been too small for DWG. I don't think Deaner should play 9:30 Club again unless Ween reunites. It was kinda cool being at a show that wasn't packed like the usual 9:30 shows, but you don't wanna play at venues where you can't fill the room.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Well, hm. I don't think I'm going to have the cash to land tickets, especially with travel costs. I hope this means they're actually on speaking terms again and it's not just "gently caress, we could use some dollars."

It's absolutely the latter

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

me your dad posted:

I hope they keep expanding single-night tours. I'm in the DC area so if they come here or Baltimore I'll be able to see them again.

I think they'll hit DC at some point for sure. I went fishing with Deaner about a month before Gener broke the band up in 2012, and he said their touring approach going forward was probably going to be just playing multiple nights in fewer cities, which seems to be in line with what they're doing now, so they'll probably end up doing a couple nights at 9:30 Club in the not too distant future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

I went fishing with deaner in 2012 about a month before ween broke up and he talked about doing multiple nights in one city going forward vs the standard tour thing even back then. It makes way more sense economically. The US is a huge country and bands waste a lot of time and money driving from city to city, and many will probably tell you they make the most money from weekend shows in NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, etc, so it sucks if you don't live near those places, but good on them for taking care of themselves.