Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Hell yes. Ween are so good to their fans. It's always cool to hear their songs that didn't make it onto the albums, and they're still really good.

I hope they release a new album soon. It's been too long since La Cucaracha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
They really deserve to be more famous. But hey, maybe in this day it's better to have a smaller group of dedicated fans than a widespread fanbase that only cares about a few of your songs.

I'm stoked for Gene's new album! I can't believe they haven't put out anything new since 2007...

Also, I saw them last April and Gene was doing pretty alright. I think he's gotten his act together since the Vancouver show.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I don't care what they do, I just want a new Ween album, period.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Methodis posted:

There's only 1 song I dislike on the entirety of Quebec and it's only because I don't think it fits in as the opener of the album.

I used to think that too, but then I thought about why it's there. "It's Gonna Be a Long Night" works perfectly as an opener for Quebec because that album is basically Gene spilling his guts about his substance abuse, drug addictions, and divorce. And the opening song is a hard rocker about sex and drugs. I see the rest of the songs as kind of an aftereffect of that song.

I love the Friends EP but La Cucaracha is kind of a let down. I like some of it though. It starts strong and ends strong. "Woman and Man" and "Your Party" are fantastic.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
The Mollusk -> White Pepper -> Quebec -> Shinola Vol. 1 is pretty much a perfect run of albums, and are definitely the ones I listen to the most.

There was a recent interview with Gene where he said he's trying to convince Dean to put together a Shinola Volume 2. If that's as close as we're getting to a new Ween album right now, I'll take it.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

global tetrahedron posted:

I'd definitely make a case for "Exactly Where I'm At" as the best Ween song.

My vote goes to Transdermal Celebration. It's the song I like to show people if they've never heard of Ween before.

I also started out hating The Pod and now it's one of my favorites. Something about it is just so captivating.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Mutilated Lips was the first Ween song I ever heard, and I immediately bought The Mollusk without even hearing the rest of it. Then I was hooked on Ween for life.

It still holds up as my favorite album by anybody.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I started out not liking all their music, but this band has a tendency to grow on you like a parasite. I think my respect for them shot up even more after I saw them live.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
"If You Could Save Yourself (You'd Save Us All)" is a wonderful piece of songwriting and has Gene's best vocals.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I don't know about the office thing but the song is basically about Dean's lovely job working at a gas station before Ween took off.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
The album is very nice sounding, especially the title track. But I feel like I would be enjoying it more if Gene had actually written the songs.

Abu Dave posted:

That said, give us a new Ween album now.

This too. It's been way too long. I'd even settle for a Shinola Volume 2 at this point.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
gently caress. This makes me very sad. Ween will always be one of my favorite bands of all time. There's just nobody else like them. I'm really glad I got to see them live last year. It was a terrific show.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
So now I suppose the award for the longest standing genre switching humorous alternative rock duo goes to:

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Link: http://soundcloud.com/a-freeman

This is more like it! These are the kinds of songs I expect from Aaron. If his next solo effort is made of songs he actually wrote, then it should be much better than Marvelous Clouds, which didn't grab my attention.

"Ribbit" is my favorite of the bunch.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Wow, what a clusterfuck.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Or maybe if Ween were to continue, he can learn some loving self control and not overindulge in drugs because that's what "Gene Ween is supposed to do." Maybe he should learn from Deaner, who seems to have managed to be a responsible drug user the entire time.

This whole situation must be crazy embarrassing for him.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Yeah but saying "have some self control" isn't gonna work with someone who's obviously medically an addict. He needs to remove himself from the triggers that have caused him to relapse time and time again. As a fan it sucks, but as someone who would rather not have another Ween tour than to see the dude dead in 5 years, it's understandable.

I know. I'm just too overly hopeful that perhaps we'll get Sober Ween sometime in the future. Even if it means we'll get more La Cucarachas.

shmee posted:

Is this the first comments (such as they are) from anyone else connected to Ween since he left? Mickey has been silent about it (save the Facebook comment) hasn't he?

That's right. Also, I think Deaner was the one managing the Ween facebook page? I could be wrong. But there hasn't been an official update there since Aaron's announcement.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Haha... I'd actually gladly pay to see Wayne Coyne replace Gener as the vocalist, even though I know he'd have a lot of trouble hitting the notes. I just like Wayne that much.

Unless they wanted to do setlists of mostly Dean songs, I don't think using him as the vocal replacement would work well. He just doesn't have the range that Gener has. But finding a replacement might just be a good idea. That is, if the whole band would rather continue without him.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Oh I'm aware. That doesn't stop me from enjoying his performances, though.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
That's a nice video. I hope he does more of them.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
This is the part of the interview that sticks out the most:

quote:

And the next thing I know I read in Rolling Stone that he said that he was breaking up the band. And I was heartbroken. I still am. It’s only been a month. And I also knew, you shouldn’t make a decision like that, the day you get out of rehab or the week you get out, and I think he regrets it. I don’t think that you’ve seen the last of Ween. I wouldn’t be surprised if we played before the year is over to be honest with you.

Oh really?

Really.

There you have it. Deaner isn't wholeheartedly convinced that Ween is over. I'm not going to get my hopes up or anything, but the dude seems pretty aware of what's going on.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
From I've read, it looks like Aaron wants another Shinola to come out, but Mickey doesn't because he just hated the work that went into making the first one.

Let's put together fake wishful Shinola 2 tracklists.

1. Beacon Light
2. All That's Gold will Turn to Black
3. Now I'm Freaking Out
4. Hello Johnny
5. Eye 2 the Sky
6. Little Miss Mandee
7. Cornbread Red
8. Ambrosia Parsley
9. Vinnie the Eel
10. Ooh Va Lah
11. Love Come Down (9-11-01)
12. I'll Wait

weirdojace fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 1, 2012

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Argus 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCaOJtOF_HE

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
That's really cool of Deaner to do. I hope he keeps it up for a while!

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Pure Guava is probably my least favorite Ween album. It's cool that it put them in the spotlight, but it's the only one of their albums that's hard for me to listen to from start to finish. I always thought the 2nd half of it was kind of a mess, especially. And boy do I hate the album version of "Touch My Tooter."

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Funny thing is they got a $200,000 advance to make Pure Guava. When you're on a major label, you get the advance to use as your album budget, and then you get to keep whatever is left over.

Pure Guava cost maybe a total of $42 to make.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Shinola is actually my 3rd favorite Ween album, right behind The Mollusk and Quebec. Even though it's a rarities comp, it's just as good as any proper album of theirs. Gabrielle is definitely the best song on there.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Quebec is a really good album. I don't know why maybe it's just put together well but I like it a lot.

Quebec is their most emotional album and it's essentially Gene Ween spilling his guts about his substance abuse and unstable relationship and eventual divorce. There isn't anything really "funny" about it like a lot of their albums, and it goes a pretty good job of delving progressively further down Gene's drugged out and depressed mental state, keeping you on edge, until the album just bursts out in tears at the end. "It's Gonna Be a Long Night" being the first song on the album really makes a lot of sense, too. They were in a very dark place in their lives when they were making that album, and it turned out to be one of their most beautiful and honest records.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Excavation posted:

Speaking of solo albums, I'm really looking forward to Deaner's upcoming one. He's been as open about it as he's been secretive, but I'm pretty sure from what he's described on his page so far that it'll melt my skeleton. The man's as talented and inspirational on guitar as gigolos are on saxophones. I'm not being blindly optimistic, he's doing what he does best and I can't think of a single lovely Deaner solo off the top of my head so yeah, I'm more than happy to play the waiting game as much as I want to hear it right this second.

I'm looking forward to Deaner's solo album as well, but I hope it isn't too Moistboyz-ish. I was never able to get into that stuff... I'm kinda hoping his solo material rides the line of being at least a bit Ween-like.

But either way I'm 99% sure I'll like it more than Marvelous Clouds... please Aaron, make an album where you actually wrote the material.

JAMOOOL posted:

It was a little jarring to find out that a lot people didn't like Quebec. When I first got it I thought it was obvious that it was either their best or 2nd best. The "brown" material isn't so hot but otherwise every cut is top notch.

In my experience, most fans generally like it. I haven't seen much negativity towards Quebec. La Cucaracha is the album that gets a lot of flack.

weirdojace fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 30, 2012

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Hard question to answer since they're so all over the place.

Album wise, I would (and I think a lot of people would too) tell you to start with The Mollusk. It's often cited as their best album, it's Dean Ween's favorite they did, and it really is one of the finest psychedelic rock albums ever recorded.

From there I don't know which albums to tell you because the ones you like the most will vary depending on whatever your music tastes are. So here's a rundown:
GodWeenSatan, The Pod, Pure Guava - Early Ween albums are like a completely different band. They're lo-fi, amateurish, druggy, bizarre, and loaded with a mixture of emotions ranging from songs dealing with sadness and anguish, to songs that are basically for comedy. Their experimentation with genre hopping is still here, but not as prevalent as later albums. Some people listen to them and instantly connect with them, and for other people (like me) it takes longer for these to grow on you. But now The Pod is one of my favorite albums of theirs. I found that these albums were easier to appreciate if you already respect Ween as musicians from the later stuff, but there are certain types of people who can listen to an album like The Pod and just get it. So what do I know.
Chocolate and Cheese - The bridge album between early Ween and later Ween. Lots of genre hopping, a switch to a full studio production and real drums. You can hear them truly blossoming as artists here. The genre hopping began to really take hold. Styles range from rock and roll to psychedelic to acoustic/folk to soul to a Spanish ballad about a Mexican guy getting revenge on the murder of his brother.
12 Golden Country Greats - A solid country album, recorded with actual Nashville session musicians. This is probably their most polarizing album. I've seen a lot of people who insist it's one of their best, and others who say they almost never listen to it. This album runs through just about every style of country music and is basically a playful homage/tribute to country music that also satirizes it.
The Mollusk - Almost universally considered to be their best. A tongue-in-cheek psychedelic rock album. It's the closest Ween has come to making a concept album. Almost every song on it relates to the ocean in some way. If you do psychedelic drugs, listen to this album on them because you won't regret it. Also you'll feel like a pirate after listening to it.
White Pepper - People often call this their most "normal" or "commercial" album. It has a lot of pop songs on it. Of all their albums (barring Country Greats) it's probably the least "druggy" sounding. Gene started getting into cocaine here, as evidenced in the lyrics...
Quebec - A pure work of art. This is their darkest album, with almost every song being about Gene Ween's depressed mental state and substance abuse. He went through a divorce while they made this album, and the music is driven by feelings of depression, paranoia, and anxiety. Lots of "druggy" psychedelic stuff here. Like The Mollusk and Country Greats, this album is actually pretty consistent with the way it sounds.
Shinola Vol. 1 - A rarities compilation that's as good as any proper album of theirs. It's a bit scattershot of course. But it has lots of good material, made up of songs that span their entire career. It has full band numbers like "Gabrielle" and "Monique the Freak" as well as drum machine ridden early Pod-like songs like "Big Fat gently caress" and "Tastes Good on Th' Bun."
La Cucaracha - The album that got made after Gene went to rehab. It's bizarre and all over the place. Highly inconsistent. Some people like it, a lot of Ween fans call it their worst album.

Also, here's a rundown of individual songs that could help determine if you'll like this band or not. Maybe.
Gabrielle
Transdermal Celebration
Buckingham Green
Mutilated Lips
The Arugs
Even If You Don't
Baby Bitch
Your Party
Flutes of Chi
Ocean Man
If You Could Save Yourself (You'd Save Us All)
And everybody's favorite, Push th Little Daisies

weirdojace fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 30, 2012

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Good! Glad you're digging the songs. Keep listening because Ween grows on you. Like a parasite.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

me your dad posted:

I think La Cucaracha has a bunch of good tracks - just as much as other albums. Really the only terrible songs are Friends and Spirit Walker.

Sweetheart is the standout track on the album for me. It has a good breezy seventies feel about it.

See, I actually enjoy Spirit Walker. I found it to be a playful satire of autotune. The album version of Friends sucks, the EP one is way better. The thing about La Cucaracha is that a lot of the individual songs are good, but the album is so all over the place that it just doesn't flow at all. There doesn't seem to be a mood transcending it, like the rest of their albums. But yes, a bad Ween album is still a pretty enjoyable album.

safety dan posted:

I thought it was Gener's favorite, unless it's both their favorite or I'm just wrong.

Maybe it's both their favorites. I know Dean has said The Mollusk is his favorite on multiple occasions. The only interview I saw with Gene where he was asked what his favorite album was, he said "Oh I dunno. I like them all." But it was from a long time ago.

TheNintenGenius" posted:

The only problem I have with the album version of "Friends" is that the EP version is infinitely better, so I can't help but feel disappointed whenever the Cucaracha version pops up when I'm listening to music on my computer. Actually, to be honest, I think part of the reason I was so disappointed in La Cucaracha is because The Friends EP was almost perfectly "all killer no filler." Then the album drops and it has poo poo on it like "Shamemaker."

Aw man I forgot about The Friends EP in my post. Yeah, it's actually pretty good. Those were all just songs recorded during the La Cucaracha sessions, too right? Supposedly they recorded like 50 songs during that time. I'm really curious to hear what they've been keeping locked away. But yeah "Slow Down Boy" and "King Billy" are personal favorites of mine.

weirdojace fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 30, 2012

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Ween endorse the taping of their shows and posting them online, so yes, it would be fine.

Not sure about a bootleg from that show. But according to Browbase, it was on August 6, 1997. Here's the setlist: http://brownbase.org/setlist.php?show_id=583

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Not sure. Maybe the people on BrownTracker or the Ween forum would know.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
That's an awesome version of Big Jilm, and a great recording of it too. Is that entire concert recorded like that?

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
A local record store had Live in Toronto on vinyl in stock for the longest time and I just never got it. It's gone now and I really regret not getting it now.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Pure Guava is out of stock too, and it's the only Ween studio album that I don't have on vinyl.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Sleepstupid posted:

So, is there anywhere you can get the Live at Chicago DVD for reasonable price?

Wow, I got my copy of Live in Chicago at a used CD store for about 7 dollars last summer. I can't believe the price shot up like that.

If you can find a copy of it, it's definitely worth getting. The concert is fantastic.

Harminoff posted:

New Aaron Freeman track. An actual song, not that weird spoken word thing https://soundcloud.com/a-freeman/genene

It sounds like it's about Aaron's transformation from Gene Ween into somebody new.

weirdojace fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 18, 2012

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
They're out of stock if you actually try to buy them.

The only one I'm missing on vinyl is Pure Guava. Seems like I'll never be able to find it for a decent price. Still kicking myself for not buying it that one time I saw it in a record store.