Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask, but Ween did a surprise show in the basement of a sushi bar in Charlottesville, VA called Tokyo Rose. Anyone have this show? I can't find it online. I saw them right before I got into them, so I'm really interested to hear it. Let me know if so. They allow pretty free distribution of their music, so I don't think this would count as :filez:

Also, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but there's a book out that chronicles the making of Chocolate and Cheese. It's a good, quick read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yep, saw that, just can't find the show anywhere, wasn't sure if the thread had any active traders that knew anyone that had it. I was amazed at Dean's guitar playing, as well as how quickly they went through a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
From the Caesar tapes? Oh my little country garden?

Maybe something off the Mollusk? Know how it goes, or any words? Since Ween deliberately parody (and execute) a lot of different styles, do you know what kind of song it is?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I love that Dickie Betts jam. Wonder if he's playing that with his current band? Says "by Ween", but..yeah.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I was reading a book that I thought would be interesting to this thread for anyone that hasn't seen it. There's a book series, 33 1/3, by various authors, that tell the story of specific landmark albums. Paul's Boutique, Reign in Blood, etc.

There's one for Chocolate and Cheese if you're interested. I've enjoyed reading it, and I'm sure many of you would too. It's a quick read.

Mickey is doing fishing charters now. I'm not terribly far away, I've thought of going up there and doing that.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Happy Hippo posted:

Dean wrote a song telling his fans to leave him the gently caress alone when they see him in public.

Which one is that?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

LOL thanks. I'm a longtime fan, but I've never listened to this album as I heard it wasn't their best work so I wasn't familiar with the song. Guess I've got it on my list now.

Edit: Oh that songs off the demo

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks for this, saw them a few times on this tour.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Those posters are amazing!

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
If Chocolate and Cheese has an anniversary coming up, definitely read the 33 1/3 book on it, it's really insightful. I think it mentions that Dean cried when he got his hands on the record because he was on the same label that The Doors were on (Elektra) and just couldn't believe it. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Those guys have lived pretty hard for quite a long time. I can only imagine how much constant touring takes a toll on a person, especially someone who's been drinking and smoking their way through it for roughly 40 years. When Gene left the band, Dean continued touring and started a charter fishing business, which ain't easy.

Not to repeat my story from this thread, but I saw them at a surprise (?) show in '97 or so and they were chugging Jack Daniels. I couldn't believe how someone could drink through liquor that fast.

With that said, I wish them the best. I visited Philly for the first time this weekend and when presented with a breakfast menu at the hotel, ordered the pork roll, egg and cheese.

Also the 33 1/3 book on Chocolate and Cheese is a must read for any fan.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 8, 2024