Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I liked it but it didn't flow as well as the others (for obvious reasons). There are some top notch tracks on there but all the other albums had some sort of unifying vibe to them. I think Gabrielle was from around '89 and Boys Club was from about '97, I'm pretty sure Tastes Good On Th' Bun was from the Pod sessions or thereabouts and Someday started being played live from about 2002 I think. Another 3 are from Craters Of The Sac so there's some continuity there. Not sure about the others but to me it didn't flow well as an album. All their other albums have a feeling to them that lasts the duration so if I'm going to listen to something from start to end I'll avoid Shinola, but if I put my collection on shuffle and am looking to be surprised then I'm always happy to hear some of the Shinola tracks pop up.

Out of all of their work over their career though I think Gabrielle is the most radio-friendly. It did really well in Australia and helped convert a lot of people who thought they were bullshit, so I'm glad it saw the light of day. It warms my heart when someone asks me who I listen to and I mention Ween and they not only don't break into Daisies but can have a conversation about the band. In fact I'd say the band's commercial resurgence after Shinola was released was what got them to play here for the first time in 10 years. I missed the show, naturally. One of my many regrets in life.

I could bang on about Ween for hours. Man I love those guys, even with all the poo poo of the last year. They're one of the few bands I've gone out of my way to own every CD of, including all the ones through the website (Toronto, Stubbs, All Request etc), I've owned at least 7 or 8 shirts/hoodies of theirs over the years, and I held off quitting smoking for a while when I saw they had a Boognish zippo for sale. My teeth currently look like a corncob that got fished out of a bin, but hey, Ween lighter.

edit: actually what year WAS gabrielle from? i have a feeling it may have even been a c&c demo but i'm not at my pc to check.

Excavation fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I agree with weirdojace, it really had a Gener song vibe to it, with all the reflective tracks that are as pretty as they are bitter and overall with less goofiness than the other albums. It's a shame he didn't put a fraction of the love or effort into his solo album, but after the poo poo he's dealt with (mainly substance problems I guess) and quebec being the most draining album for them it's not hard to see why he'd avoid that kind of thing for a while and do something less taxing on his wellbeing.

Speaking of solo albums, I'm really looking forward to Deaner's upcoming one. He's been as open about it as he's been secretive, but I'm pretty sure from what he's described on his page so far that it'll melt my skeleton. The man's as talented and inspirational on guitar as gigolos are on saxophones. I'm not being blindly optimistic, he's doing what he does best and I can't think of a single lovely Deaner solo off the top of my head so yeah, I'm more than happy to play the waiting game as much as I want to hear it right this second.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

Leyburn posted:

The Live in Toronto with the poo poo Creek Boys version of What Deaner Was Talking About is the ultimate version.

Awfully pretty.

I really wish that album got a wider release. It's one of those ones where if I'm listening to it it's very hard to take my attention away, probably because their non-12GCG songs don't sound much like they did before or since. "Piano Man" was a nice touch as well.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

caligulamprey posted:

Going through Eye's discography, the only releases that I haven't heard personally that line up in the 91 to around 92 Pod era are three Audio Sports albums: 3-6-9, Eat+Buy+Eat and Era of Glittering Glass.

Edit: not it.

I think it could be Aids-A-Delic but I could be completely wrong. It came out in 94, between The Pod and Z-Rock Hawaii, so that might be a good place to start.

Edit: Yep, this is the second track off Aids-A-Delic by Hanatarash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qycnOjAIhkc

Excavation fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 20, 2013

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

me your dad posted:

That's underwhelming to what I was expecting :shobon:

I think there's some other tracks sampled on that album too but that's the only one off the top of my head. I'd listen to all the tracks but I'd rather not, I think my Weendar's done its job for now.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
That's some beautiful poo poo. They look so young, younger than the number 1996 would make you think anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

Slackerish posted:

they would have only been 25/26 around that time

Yeah, they just look younger than I always envisioned them being then. I started to get into them around the mid-90s but that was over half a lifetime ago. It's just odd to see them doing The Mollusk and being on the wrong side of my age.