Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
wow, this really could have been a very brown album had they been so inclined.

totally lost it at the "rough" vocals for "It's Gonna be a Long Night" - is that supposed to be a Lemmy impression???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
that whole story made me very uneasy, but it looks like they've gotten it back together

it kinda feels like the next Ween album is still probably 2-3 years away, but I hope we get another Shinola-type release in the meantime. outside of Quebec and the Mollusk, Shinola is my favorite studio release

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

kinda sucks that Ween has "only" sold a million albums combined

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yeah that's definitely one of my favorite tunes by them. that and "Stay Forever" are two of my favorite country-rock songs (by any band)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I've been relistening to The Mollusk/White Pepper/Quebec a lot lately and think that's an excellent run of albums, especially when you add Shinola to it; I can't really explain why I didn't dig La C so much either, but I think it's because it doesn't really mix the humor with great songwriting the way they used to, rather it's just a lot of things that are either funny or supposed to be funny and only a few songs that would be worth listening to on their own? There wasn't anything pitch-perfect like "Back to Basom", "Transdermal Celebration", "The Rift", "The Argus", "Tried and True", etc. etc., just a bunch of joke tunes that don't work in close proximity to each other. What's disappointing is that White Pepper was kind of their "middle age" album even though they were only 30 at its time of release, so I thought that they'd remain great for decades to come if they just stuck to that sound.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I'm definitely in the "wish this was trimmed by 20 minutes" category. I will agree that it's an utterly unique album, but the Mollusk-quebec period just seems to accomplish its goal so much better

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

thanks for that. it's great that he's getting well (though, isn't this his 2nd or 3rd time in rehab?) and doesn't seem to resent the whole "mythology" of Ween with respect to getting hosed up. can't wait to hear this record.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I think the album's pretty good! A little campy, but it has a nice, lightweight pop feel, kind of like what would have happened had they made a hard turn in the direction of White Pepper. Feel like this is the type of album that Elvis Costello would have done (poorly) and I can't help feel its a little tongue-in-cheek.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Exactly why I think that a break would be good for Gene. If he really can't control himself on the road and his body is breaking down then it's best for him to just do his own thing for a while. I really don't think this is the last of Ween either.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Harminoff posted:

The good thing is is that they have hundreds of tapes worth of stuff that anyone has to hear yet. Even if they are truly done, it doesn't mean that we will not here any new ween.

I wouldn't count on "Shinola, Vol.2" anytime soon. I think one of them (maybe Deaner) ranted at length about how unpleasant putting the first volume together was.

I support Gener (a.k.a Aaron Freeman) in whatever he does but there's something unsavory about the way this all came about. I remember how shocked I was at the recent Toronto 'meltdown' since I thought Gene was under control. It really felt like Mickey really wanted a long break and Aaron, for his health, needed one.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I'm really enjoying it right now; when you ask "what's your favorite song to play live", most artists would say "well, it depends...", or "it changes every day", or give a long list, Deaner just straight up says "Pony"

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

It was a little jarring to find out that a lot people didn't like Quebec. When I first got it I thought it was obvious that it was either their best or 2nd best. The "brown" material isn't so hot but otherwise every cut is top notch.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I'm definitely looking forward to that solo album though tbh I always assumed Ween would be back by like 2015.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Yeah the Freeman album is solid. I hope he keeps cranking them out. This is the direction most Ween fans were afraid they'd go in after White Pepper which is fine by me.

Also, I was kinda shocked to find out that he's only 42. I remember reading some comments about White Pepper like "its ok since they're both like 40 now, but does it have to be so dull?" - they weren't even 30!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

If such a venue existed I'm sure Ween would be the first band to play there

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

If they released this as an $100 9-disc boxset I would buy it no questions asked

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

are there good audio rips of these shows? god drat I wish I could've been there

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

The Pod is thus far the only album to remind me of the Hardcore Devo comps

Kinda dig the "everything is running out of batteries" atmosphere though I don't exactly find myself wanting to listen to it a lot.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Is there a live album in the works? Or any really good boots available? These setlists look incredible.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

sout posted:

https://genius.com/Ween-pollo-asado-lyrics
Some useful comments on this page.

"The math is poor for the sake of comedy." looool

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Live in Chicago killed C&C for me. It's a good album but I feel like it's the one where all the live renditions just blow the studio versions out of the water.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

wow sobriety has really done wonders for him huh

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Milwaukee, god drat it's about time! It's been over a decade!! YEEEHAAAWWW

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yea the Rave kind of blows as a venue, the sound usually sucks and its not very well kept up but I don't care, I've been waiting literally over a decade to see them

my favorite Rave story is sneaking in 4-5 tiny bottles of booze, which I felt it was my responsibility to do, given that they charge like $9.50 for a single Bud Light. I saunter up to the bar and say, "yeah I'll have two COKES please" all sly-like and the bartender says, "okay, that'll be eight bucks". lol

protip sneak the bottles in your socks on the inside of your legs, they'll pat down the outer side

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

thanks so much for those links. only up to "The Rift" on the first one but this is already so drat good

always wished Ween had more live albums, though if there are this many high-quality recordings on archive.org, who needs 'em

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

lmao they played like half of The Pod in Milwaukee

tbh I wish I could remember more of the show, it was really good but I figured I'd get good and browned out beforehand and as a result my memory is spotty here

real good show, even though The Rave's acoustics suck. Ween's crowds rule. at least 3 dudes in chicken suits and lots of dreadlocks everywhere you turned. one dude in a wheelchair right in the center and people kept buying him beers. which, by the way, is super expensive, but hell yeah...Ween

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yea we actually arrived like 10 minutes late. when we got there I was like..."is this uh....'Laura'??? how long have they been onstage??"

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Mickey deleted his Facebook page, what happened..?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

he pretty much does at every show, when I saw him in Milwaukee I think the only song missing was "Don't Stop Living in the Red" and maybe "Fun Night"

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

When I saw them in Milwaukee they played like 8 songs from The Pod, it was awesome and hilarious

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

that guitar tone is so loving ugly, I love it

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

you can download basically infinite Ween shows from archive.org, but yeah you'll need someone to point you to the good ones. that Orpheum one is fantastic obv

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

I wonder why they haven't put out a live album of any of the material since 2016. Back when Deaner was active in the big Ween group on facebook he made some noise about having all the soundboards and wanting to do something with them, but then of course nothing happened. I know there's hardly any money in anything other than touring these days but it seems like a fancy vinyl set or something might be able to turn a profit.

yeah I always thought this was the plan, the fact that it hasn't happened tells me that all is not well between the Weens yet

iirc in 2018 or so there was some really weird and public drama that suddenly got deleted off social media? did Gene relapse or something? idk it's weird that he hasn't done anything since that first solo album and I get the sense that Ween reforming was really more of a "we need to pay the bills and Ween gets 50x the crowds we do on our own" thing

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

lol I watched that movie as a kid and had no idea Ween was a real band, for some reason I thought they were just made up by the producers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yeah Quebec has quickly become my favorite album of theirs, in fact its probably one of my favorite albums ever when it's all said and done

also happens to be particularly amazing if you're on an edible, but you probably figured that already

kinda irked that "Ooh La Va" isn't on the album proper though, that's always been a big favorite of mine