Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TheIndividual posted:

And here's a weird one. Back in the early 90s, Blur and Slowdive used to attend each others concerts pretty regularly. This lead to Blur becoming a little bit interested in shoegaze, and creating easily their finest b-side (and probably the one one worth a drat), Sing.

Sing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdrFpPJgxC4

In the UK, it wasn't a b-side, it was actually on their first record, Leisure. The problem was, it was on Leisure, which was a kinda-listless post-Madchester mishmosh and, in fact, 80% poo poo. They'd half-heartedly approach shoegazey guitars again some years later, through their lo-fi self-titled record's sessions---Swallows in the Heatwave and Bustin' + Dronin' are the relevant B-sides from that period. The US version of the self-titled record also ends with a bizarre triple-threat of noise guitar and muttered imprecations, combining the album track Essex Dogs, the b-side Dancehall and a further instrumental called Interlude into one eleven-and-a-half-minute weirdness device. I used to snowblow the driveway with earbuds in under my hearing protection listening to that record, and it was amazing.

As the thread itself goes, I am so glad this is here. I'm just starting to get into the scenes talked about here---I have Loveless, Saturdays = Youth and a few other bits and bobs, and the band of goons I am in has covered Primal Scream (Velocity Girl) and Jesus and Mary Chain (Just Like Honey), so. Yeah.

Here's a bit of an under-noticed gem that I think of when people start talking dream pop and similar: the Ray Davies/Kinks tribute album This Is Where I Belong. Bebel Gilberto goes exotica on No Return, Josh Rouse gets dreampop as gently caress on Well Respected Man (sorry, doesn't look like it's on youtube, but it is on spotify), Yo La Tengo take on Fancy with the delightfully expected result (but the unexpected result that it's neither on youtube nor spotify...), and several others (Lambchop's haunting, reverb-soaked take on Art Lover most notably) fit the bill. The remainder of the album is quite good (Fountains of Wayne, Ron Sexsmith) to fairly what-the-christ-is-this-doing-here (Queens of the Stone Age), but enjoyable nevertheless.

edited because the day I decide to shut my mouth about music is the day I'm in a vegetative state

hexwren fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ras Het posted:

"Goes"? This sounds exactly like everything else she has ever done, that is, gluttonously cheesy synth-bossa? I haven't heard the original though, so maybe it's cool in juxtaposition or something.

Just a turn of phrase, not trying to make a judgement about Gilberto's work---the Kinks original is also bossa nova-inflected as well, so it's not really all that far from what the Davies were doing. I just think it's a good song, in either incarnation.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am totally going to be at the Austin date. I only just started listening to Spiritualized and my mind is already blown. I totally need to be there for this. The only downside is that Spiritualized seems to be rather much winter music, and the date's in May. Ah well

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hatelull posted:

Oh sweet Jesus do you ever ...

Depending on what your entry point was, they will either melt your face or splatter your brain on the ceiling, depending on prior experience. Even when they release "bad" albums, the live show is always such a wonderfully phenomenal piece of sound. The last time I saw them, they opened with "Amazing Grace" that he played faithful and then like a soft projectile to the skull the bottom drops out and it pure bliss. To hear them go from absolute chaos into something like "Electric Mainline" is an awesome thing.

Songs in A&E. I'm aware that it mostly goes up from there.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

In retrospect, MBV live was quite-possibly the least-lit band I've ever seen, possibly excepting Tool. I mean there WERE lights, they just kinda weren't pointed at the musicians. Unless I'm hallucinating, but that's what I remember.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That must have been it. I just remember not seeing much of the stage other than stacks and silhouettes.

Also I'm short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You're thinking Angelfish

efb