Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm bad at music genres. Does this belong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teFjDLAKBLY

I like their stuff quite a lot. iTunes of all places recommended one of this band's songs after I bought something from Film School that I heard on Pandora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Redczar posted:

Malory - Words

Indeed, this is nice.

So I'm a shoegaze noob; I did post an Airiel track years ago, but until this week, that's the only stuff of its type I had in my library. I read the whole thread and listened to everything. I didn't really find what I was looking for (see below), but for now I purchased the '99 album from All Natural Lemon & Lime Flavors that was linked here. Silly name, but it makes me think of Sprite which I've always loved. It's heavy but clever use of pitch-bending is one of the few things that made me go "whoa". And I got some other great suggestions that I jotted down for later.

I had these criteria for my ideal shoegaze sound:
- Walls of distorted guitars
- Slow tempo
- Somber mood
- Moderate-to-heavy pitch bending
- Audible bass and drums

So MBV, although I liked a few tracks from Isn't Anything and Loveless, is pretty much out. Bowery Electric, Slowdive, Drop Nineteens, and Nothing, while all worth a purchase, were all missing one or two things I wanted. Fleeting Joy's song "Lovely Crawl" is fantastic and very very close to what I was looking for, but I listened to the rest of the album and was like "meh". Disappointing, really. But Lovely Crawl is totally a "hooooooly poo poo" track, I'll have to buy it on its own sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymixDJ3jWcQ

I also picked up Revolution - The Shoegave Revival and Whirr's Distressor because they were FREE! :dance: The last track on Distressor met every requirement except pitch-bending. Oh well.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Failure is pre-streaming their new one (due out in a week or so):

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/18/stream-failure-the-heart-is-a-monster

I dunno, there's some really cool stuff on there, but I really don't like their choice of first single "Hot Traveler". It's great to have a proper recording of "I Can See Houses", and "Mulholland Drive" is an Floyd-ian epic straight out of 1972. Overall I think this one will take a few listens for fans to appreciate, but it'll get there.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I'm not familiar with Slowdive at all, so I have nothing to compare it to, but this is really good and I like it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Yeah that's really nice. I've had Souvlaki in my wishlist for some time now, it will be bought eventually.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I bought all the stuff on my Bandcamp and Google Play wishlists last week, it was quite a lot of music and included a number of shoegazey things:

3 Airiel EPs (I have everything officially released from them now yay)
Souvlaki
Loveless

And a bunch of new (for me) artists:
Love Spirals Downwards
Beliefs
The Depreciation Guild
Drop Nineteens
The Lees of Memory
The Meeting Places
Stella Luna
Lavinia

Most of these were linked in this thread I think. I haven't listened to it all yet (I'm going in album name alphabetical order and I'm currently on O). Some great stuff so far.

e: Forgot to mention it here when it came out - a Brazillian label put out a Nevermind tribute with all shoegaze bands. A friend from my hometown is in one of them, this is all really interesting. Only two songs sound much of anything like the originals.

https://theblogthatcelebratesitself.bandcamp.com/album/all-our-pretty-songs-nevermind-revisited

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 4, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Listening to the first track, I like it already.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Woah, new Airiel. I've had a couple of their Winks & Kisses EPs (which, by the way, are four in number and combine to form an LP's worth of material as well as a picture if the physical copies are arranged in a square) for a long time but bought the rest of their work earlier this year. Mostly from google play because only Sealand was on bandcamp at the time, but apparently now their full discography is there.

If it wasn't obvious, I love this band. I don't know when I'll next buy more music but their new album is definitely on my wishlist.

e: oh my god, this album is loving amazing. like, it's a perfect mix of everything I like about this sub-genre, plus a prominent bass

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 17, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I'm quite fond of music videos. Those were neat, thanks for posting.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

New haul from Bandcamp:

Palehorse/Palerider - Burial Songs
Slowdive ST
Beach House - Bloom
Airiel - Molten Young Lovers
LACING - Bummer
Nothing - Tired of Tomorrow
Jesu - EIGCTTLFWIC
True Widow - AVVOLGERE

..among stuff from other genres. I've already listened to all of these because Bandcamp is cool like that, and it is an absurdedly good batch of music.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Linked from Airiel's FB page: http://www.post-punk.com/definitive-dreaminess-100-essential-dream-pop-releases/amp/

The intro stated they were excluding pure shoegaze, but Loveless is on there? Anyway, I have a number of these already, and added a few more to my wishlist.

Lately I find myself often wondering what my music library would sound like on a proper vinyl setup.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Another year, another digital music batch purchase. Got a $50 google play gift card so I picked up several albums from my rather large wishlist I accumulated since last year. I may buy more, but I need to be careful because I don't want my music library going over 59 GB, as I currently have 64GB storage for backups/phone usage and I don't feel like getting new ones right now. Anyway, not a whole lot of stuff that would fit here this go-round, but I did buy Ride's Nowhere and the rest of Nothing's discography (I only had Tired of Tomorrow previously).

Ride is pretty interesting. Hadn't heard any of their stuff before, but I recognized the name from a shot of a gig flyer from Failure's 2004 documentary. Apparently they opened for Ride in LA 1990-ish, when they still used a fretless bass. This Ride album kind of reminds me of that meloncholy-ish 80's/90's style of britpop, like The Smiths or the few songs I've heard from Blur before they did the "whoo hoo" song. Very different from MBV, my only other exposure to early shoegaze. Guess I need to try some Jesus And Mary Chain next. What else would you all consider shoegaze essentials from that same time period?

Oh, also forgot I bought Film School's Hideout. Many years ago I listened to Pandora at work and they would often play me "Compare" from that album, so I wrote it down and bought it later as a one-off from ITunes. Great song, I still like it a lot, but I don't like having one-offs in my library (unless they're b-sides from singles or something) since album-oriented rock or whatever is pretty dead and that's how I got into music in the first place. So I'm trying to rectify that.

I now have 23 hours of shoegaze/dream pop in my library, that's mostly recommendations from you guys and Airiel's complete discography (I :love: them).

Fart of Presto posted:

Browsed around on Drowned in Sound and stumbled upon this list from November 2018:

Some Velvet Mixtape: 2018 in Reverb, Delay, Distortion and Drone #2

Thanks for this, I listened to all of it. Really interesting stuff. Basement Revolver gal has got some pipes on her. :aaa:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Delicious bass chords.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

:hfive: Ariel fan. Among other things, I love what they do with bass & vocals. Some favorites off the top of my head:

Inside Out
World Cup
Peoria
Shirley Temple Tidal Wave
Firefly
Halo (although that one reminds me of :cry: times)
Where it Belongs
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiqezbc0W8Q

e: forgot Sharon Apple, the song so nice, they recorded it twice (there's a remake of it on their latest EP).

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 8, 2019

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Fenrir posted:

I don't know if it should go here or the indie rock thread really, but anyone know where I can find stuff like this, because it owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wkluV2c9gY

It took me nearly the entire song to figure it out, but minus its mild pitch-bending, this sounds almost exactly like Silversun Pickups.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Is there a Post-punk thread? My (and I'm sure a lot of others') favorite The Cure album Disintegration turned 30 yesterday.

The Blog That Celebrates Itself put out their apparently final release - some pretty dreamy/gazey renditions of Disintegration tracks. They've done this for quite a few albums over the recent years.

https://theblogthatcelebratesitself.bandcamp.com/album/disintegration-revisited

e: wow, I love the title track cover by Echodrone, it's great

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 3, 2019

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I saw these guys (along with Nothing, who was my reason for going) on Saturday, who were opening for some punk-ish band called Basement.

I preempt this next statement by admitting I've only been to a few concerts, but that show was the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life. Like, the venue's equipment clearly couldn't handle these bands at the levels they wanted. I couldn't hear the nuances of the guitars, just pure decibels. Bass and drums were ok. Might've been my fault for not wearing earplugs until Nothing went on. My ear system still feels a little weird. Nothing didn't play my favorite song of theirs, either (Dig). Like, the sound was so off-the-wall I only recognized half of the songs they played, and with those, only mid-way through the song.

So disappointing show, AND I picked up an upper respiratory infection at some point, but I did meet the Teenage Wrist singer/bassist at their merch booth. I did a double-take because I sort-of recognized him from the video "Uhh, are you in the band?". Very nice guy, I chatted with him briefly. He has shorter hair now, and kinda reminds me of someone I went to high school with. I wanted to buy their LP on CD but they only had vinyl. I feel bad because I completely ignored their guitarist who was also there, he left during my conversation with Kam. Sorry dude.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 15, 2019

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Welp. Hope I didn't break anything permanently.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I bought another of this band's albums at the recommendation of this thread and I like it a lot. Poppy Shoegaze with NES/GB chiptunes. It's a really unique sound in my library, I recognize it immediately in a shuffle.

That video is also super :yayclod:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Wow, that's basically a how-to-shoegaze video. Didn't realize distortion, reverb, and strumming with the whammy bar is all it took. I don't play guitar anymore, but when I did I had this mid-90's Washburn with a floyd rose tremolo (very springy, impossible to keep in tune) that would have been perfect for that, I think.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Cool! I wonder if the pawn shop I dumped mine on still has it. That was 5 years ago, though. Eh, I don't think I'd buy it back. I'd want to switch tunings frequently and that was a massive pain on that guitar. You had to open the back panel and mess with the spring coils back there.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 11, 2019

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Listening to it now. Sounds good to me! In terms of composition/structure/etc. Maybe a bit more ethereal/shoegazey on some tracks than their previous works but that's A-ok for those of us reading this thread, I think. Only thing is something sounds slightly off, either it's these headphones I have for my PC (some cheapo Sennheisers) that I normally don't listen to music with, or there's audible audio watermarks in the feed on the website. And yes, that's a thing, mostly by UMG label digital albums from more mainstream storefronts (Google Play), and it sucks. I've never had anything I've bought from Bandcamp contain audible watermarks, but I am hearing something a little weird :shrug:

They have CDs available for pre-order, I might just do that.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Which album is this song from? I'm not that familiar with Cocteau Twins but I feel like I need to be.

New Nothing on Oct 30th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezc-BxML-ZM

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Whoo that was a quick response, thank you both. Ken Andrews (probably my favorite artist) had an interview with Matt Pinfield a few days ago and he (Andrews) said Treasure is one of his favorite and most influential albums, so I put it on my list. But looks like I'll be putting this one on there too.

Speaking of which, it appears Google Play is going away soon. Do I need to switch to Amazon digital if I can't find CDs of albums I want to buy? Or is there a better platform for more mainstream stuff that's not on Bandcamp? I'm not ready to take up streaming, I like having my entire library that doesn't require an internet connection to enjoy.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

After watching the recent linked Cocteaus stuff on YT, and the resulting suggestion algorithm, I got sent down a pretty deep Lush rabbit hole. The music video for Sweetness And Light appeared in the sidebar and I was intrigued by the thumbnail (Emma's somber-looking head on a glowing white background) so I clicked and I loved it. That tune is absolutely narcotic. I already had their Split album in my library, probably from someone linking Desire Lines in this thread, but I hadn't listened to it much, and I hadn't heard any of their other stuff (except Lovelife a long time ago, and I didn't care for it). 5 days later, and I've watched like, all of their live footage, interviews, read all the wikipedia articles, and bought Gala and Spooky. Also discovered Starlust off of Split as a 2nd favorite. This is really good stuff, I'm thoroughly enjoying the guitars and vocals. It makes me want to pick up a guitar and a chorus pedal and learn how to play in this style. They do use some distortion here and there but I think the real treat is the clean guitar, it is heavenly. Welp that's my trip report.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

that video makes me laugh now because I read an interview with Emma and Miki and they were like "they were blowing this giant fan in our faces for an hour, it really hosed up our eyes" and now it's the only thing i can think about when i see the video.

Ha, Emma rolls her eyes at one point in the video. At least it kinda looks like that. Now I know why! I appreciate the work and effort musicians put into their music vids, doesn't sound particularly fun to make them. Although the videos from Lovelife are amusingly goofy, they look a lot happier in those. My story with that album is that I got it when it was current, probably from Columbia House or BMG. I hadn't had a CD player long so I was trying out a lot of stuff. Not sure why I picked Lovelife... whatever description they had in the catalog probably piqued my interest. But I didn't like it at all. Guess I was in a phase where if it wasn't excessively loud and lacked massive amounts of fuzz I wasn't interested. These days I can appreciate the BritPop stuff much more but Lovelife is just so flat and rigid compared to their marvelous earlier works.

Is there a fansite or similar online location that has a curated collection of interviews and live footage and whatnot? Took me hours to fall asleep last night because certain passages from Sweetness, De-luxe, and Starlust would not stop in my head.

Also, anyone know if the 2015 CD box set are re-issues or re-masters? 4AD's site is sold out, otherwise I would have bought that instead of digital. Noticed right away that Gala and Spooky are very quiet recordings. They will be joining my pile of "turn this one up" albums along with Pretty Hate Machine, You'd Prefer An Astronaut, and Siamese Dream (and probably others which escape current memory).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

Light From a Dead Star is the big Lush fansite.

https://www.lightfromadeadstar.org/

This is quite the gold mine. Thank you for the link. Especially cool is the complete lyric collection, verified by the songwriters. I was previously reading them from some site called Genius-something, which apparently has a lot of them incorrect. Now I need to hunt around for some guitar tabs, and I guess a Telecaster and a 12-string and a bunch of other stuff to play them on (*gulp*).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Monochrome is amazing. Much like Desire Lines, though, Emma put in a striking passage (the chorus) that shines right through the darkness. Brilliant songwriting. On the whole, I think I like her songs a lot better than Miki's. Although I said "holy poo poo" out loud the first time I heard Baby Talk.

e: apparently De-Luxe was on Rock Band 2?!? I had that game like 11 years ago but don't remember playing that particular song on it. Pretty sure I tried all of them. Maybe the odd time signature of the verse turned me off. Back then, I wasn't big into shoegaze yet, anyway.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 24, 2020

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Nothing has a second video for that album, just released yesterday. It's kinda gory (even the thumbnail) so I won't post it here but it's called "Bernie Sanders".

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Which Lush EP is that? Going to guess Sweetness and Light. I bought Gala just to be efficient so I'm not familiar with the individual covers.

kaworu posted:

I have been trying to find people who will appreciate just how incredible this recording is, and I think this may be the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-M3rs6Vm5c&t=12s

I don't think there is a post-punk thread. I'd lump NO in with Depeche Mode as electronic-leaning post-punk but since This Thing is (directly?) influenced by it, I'd say your decision was correct.

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB7iPiFExN4

Shoegaze keeps pulling me back in. What a great song.

This track is indeed good, but I bought the album based off of earlier thread suggestions and found the rest of it rather disagreeable. :shrug:

teethgrinder posted:

Happy 30th anniversary!

Nice, I have that one too! I'll give it a listen in full later tonight. FWIW, it's the 4th suggested result when you type "nowhere" into wikipedia.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

felt rules. can you guess which huge 80s stadium filling band ripped this song off for one of their best singles?

Hm, The Cars? U2?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Cool interview from last week with Rachel Goswell of Slowdive. It's for Portugese-speaking audiences (Brazilians I think?), but the interviewer speaks English and asks some interesting questions. Rachel's cat also makes an appearance. :minnie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89oD6uHlCkw

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 8, 2020

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

drat that is good. Reminds me a LOT of Walt Mink, maybe not as noodly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJyY7CmereA

That sounds exactly nothing like what Keith Atherton posted. Did you pick the wrong song?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Keith Atherton posted:

“Shoegaze” came about as a derisive term for bands that were said to care more about their effects pedals than the audience when playing. I think MBV was the first to get that term applied.

I've heard it was Moose, but I don't have a link to the article in question.

Concurred posted:

Holy poo poo, is there a word for finding something you never knew you were looking for?

Epiphany? Awakening? Profound Moment? I've had a few of those related to music. They are the small things that can make life worth it. I would advise you to go back and read this entire thread from the start. Listen to absolutely everything and note items which catch your ear. I've purchased a good number of albums for my digital library thanks to posts here. Some are rather obscure and probably won't be mentioned elsewhere.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 20, 2020

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

The next was seeing Lush's "For Love" video on my friend's Sega CD demo disc, and going that afternoon to buy the "Spooky" album. And I haven't stopped listening to shoegaze since.

I'm an avid reader of the Retro Gaming Thread so this caught my eye. It's kind of amazing that music videos (and one from Lush, no less) made it onto a Sega CD demo disc, something I didn't realize was even a thing. But it does make sense. I did some googling, and apparently it was included with the original "model 1" addon (among other items in its free software bundle) if you bought it new:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Hot-Hits-Adventurous-New-Music-Sampler-Rock-Paintings-CDG-Sampler/release/10428334

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

That's way more shoegazey than Lush, imo. I like it.

Now that I think about it, Lush is kinda the least shoegazey of the bands they're lumped in with. I'm not even sure what that means, exactly. This genre seems to be more about culture than music, since all the bands sound so wildly different.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I'm quite fond of the last track on that record, "Turing". The chorus is one of those rock things where the drum BPM is slowed down but the guitars/bass are chugging away. Not sure what to call it. That sort of thing is extremely My Jam. If I were to make a Shoegaze compilation album comprised of stuff in my digital library, that song would surely be on it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Morningrise wasn't their debut EP, but it is drat good. I love both the title track and She Calls. The latter might be my favorite song by them, period.

Debut EP was self-titled: https://www.discogs.com/Slowdive-Slowdive/master/9493

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I bought the EP compilation on CD from Amazon a few months ago. I wanted the Isn't Anything re-issue but couldn't find it so I got the comp instead. I think it's the Sony version. Getting major-label stuff on CD is a good idea because you can rip them to FLAC and not have to worry about audio watermarks ruining the sound (UMG :argh:). Google Play is dead anyway, so aside from Amazon and iTunes (neither of which I want to support for various reasons) I don't know anywhere else to get major-label digital albums.

I second buying from Bandcamp whenever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Happy birthday Kevin Shields

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwfCoKNI5hs

Did they ever play this on 120 Minutes?