Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Ras Het posted:

No, I just meant that the much more song-focused craft of indie pop is generally appealing to me, unlike the swiish and swoosh of shoegaze, but '80s Sarah Records style twee and most popular shoegaze are pretty similar in terms of lyrics, performance and even song structures. And, on that note, I would say Pains fall quite firmly into the twee/indie camp.

That said, even though there's a few Sarah records I love to bits, I think twee (much like shoegaze) got significantly better in the mid-'90s when most bands dropped all the horrible '80s production aesthetics and toned down the Smiths aping.

I definitely agree with the twee production values thing. Recording on a mates 4-track Ampex in their bedroom or whatever really dissolved a lot of the impact their songs may have actually had, as many of them are actually quite well written. And the poor production I think has really stopped them from being as well known and popular as they could be.

A good example is german band The Bartlebees, some absolutely fantastic songs slightly let down by the poor recording. Recording in even a cheap recording studio with a trained engineer shouldn't be something to shy away from in my mind.

I think I said this in the last Shoegaze thread, but really when you look back nowadays a lot of the classic Shoegaze bands and the music they created really isn't that good. I just don't think they've aged that well sadly. I bet more than one of you do what I do in the case of Ride's first album, you stick the disc in, flip it forward to Vapour Trails then turn it off again. Though actually in Ride's case I find their first few EPs better than the album.

The bands that inspired the original Shoegaze bands (like AR Kane and Galaxie 500) and those that were inspired by the original Shoegaze bands(the first Brians Jonestown album is really loving fantastic Shoegaze-esque music) vastly outperform the original core groups in terms of making some really good music, though the likes of Loveless and Souvlaki are obviously great albums which is why they're still remembered. Though it's interesting with those two groups in particular the majority of their early stuff just was pretty horrible, then they somehow managed to pull it together for those releases (though I've never heard Pygmalion so can't comment on that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU