Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robin_ac30
Sep 15, 2005

i'm getting too young for this

XMD 5a posted:

I'm a die-hard fan of "first wave" UK post-rock. Love Bark Psychosis (Hex is the best album of the 90s), Disco Inferno, Moonshake, Main, Seefeel, Insides and, yes, Pram. There are elements of shoegaze/dream pop in some of the stuff, but I prefer the term post-rock.

Long Fin Killie, Prolapse and Flying Saucer Attack are some bands from the UKPR "scene" that overlap quite easily with the shoegaze genre. Excellent stuff all around.

Great to see you mention Hex by BP on here. That's probably my favourite album of all time, just an incredible piece of work. Also anything by DI (especially the early stuff before the bought all their samplers).

First gig I ever put on was Bark Psychosis at Salisbury Arts Center in erm, 1991.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robin_ac30
Sep 15, 2005

ROFLBOT posted:

Indeed, and Against Perfection is surely the link between shoegaze and britpop- combining the sound of the former with the attitude of the latter.

Their second (and last) album I would describe as more studied and mature, but still excellent and well worth tracking down.

Ahh, Adorable were ace. Sunshine Smile still sounds amazingly fresh and is a cracking pop song.

Great live too, caught them a few times on that tour they did supporting Curve.

Pete from Adorable is about to release an album with Terry Bickers from House Of Love / Levitation too. It's dead good.

robin_ac30
Sep 15, 2005

Loop have reformed. Playing / Curating one of the ATP Festivals at Camber Sands in November, plus some other shows too.

Didn't think they'd ever do it! Be great to see em.

http://www.atpfestival.com/newsview/1304261021.php

robin_ac30
Sep 15, 2005

Floodixor posted:

Oh my god, what a lineup.

I'm a huge Curve fan - how were they live?

My hazy memory tells me they were awesome. Loud, in your face, and very very cool to look at as well. Toni Halliday had a wind machine blowing in her face, so it made her look like she was singing into a wind tunnel. Best one I saw of them was at Salisbury Arts Centre, which is an old church - fit the sound kinda well!

robin_ac30
Sep 15, 2005

XMD 5a posted:

Maybe the long awaited Ride and Slowdive reunions will be next...

A little birdie told me that the Ride one will happen, just not yet. So I'd imagine once the Beady Eye new campaign is out of the way...

However, I wouldn't hold your breath (no pun intended) on the Slowdive one at all - really don't think that'll happen.

robin_ac30
Sep 15, 2005

XMD 5a posted:

Neil Halstead was teasing it in a recent interview. Not holding my breath at all, but hard not to get little excited considering Slowdive are my all-time favourite band.

Aye, that was bollocks though wasn't it. Just him plugging his new record, and alluding to a possibility of a Slowdive reunion got more column inches.

I'd love to see them again though - last time I saw them was on that double-headline tour with Cranes when Souvlaki came out, incredible gigs. Saw them at the Manchester gig and the London one at the Garage too.

Wish Kitchens Of Distinction would play live again though - I think they've ruled that out though.

robin_ac30
Sep 15, 2005

foonykins posted:

Just heard this on WFMU last night, I haven't been able to stop listening since.

https://vimeo.com/66646443

The video is a little bit monkeycheeze but the shoegaze totally makes up for it.

Hah yes, this is a great song, and the whole album is excellent. Massive improvement
on their first album too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robin_ac30
Sep 15, 2005

ROFLBOT posted:

Robert Hampson has numerous times said "never" to Loop reforming and, well.... here we are :)

True.

I'd still be incredibly surprised though if Slowdive reformed in the next few years though, mainly
because a one or two members have very young children, not to mention having other projects on the
go.

I was really hoping Kitchens Of Distinction would play again too, but Patrick has ruled out any
live dates, even though they are writing new material.