Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
There's no reason that 2 on 1 couldn't be reasonable, it just looks (for now) like they went too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah seriously, I know of at least one other game that seems like it does 2-on-1 pretty well... :allears:

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
I've got a little bit of an instant dislike to the idea, but its more of an emotional how dare they ruin the purity of my precious tag game thing.

I'd be pretty okay with choosing 1 character putting you at a clear (but slight) disadvantage. I think the biggest problem I have even with a theoretical balanced 1 v 2 game is that it is time I would have rather seen spent balancing the core game.

The thing that really gets me about people not wanting to learn two characters is how straight forward team building in Tekken is - it's not like a Capcom tag game where you have to worry about meter usage or anything like that, you can literally pick any two characters and have them work together well.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

Hey fighting games thread, excuse me for just barging in here but I uh I was bored so I made a thing out of a piece of plexiglass, an old USB controller, a 10 dollar toolbox from the local home depot, a can of spray paint and a bunch of spare wire. I thought somebody here might get a kick out of it!

Oh god why did I do this I don't even play fighting games. I even put felt on the bottom and on the wrist-rest, because I had a bunch lying around. God.

I put blue LEDs in there, just in case I ever need to like, hot swap a button in the middle of the woods or something. You know. The case opens in front (hinges in back) for ease of access.

The "artwork" is the lid from my gfx card's box, masterfully cut with a pair of kitchen scissors to fit the case. The acrylic cover can be taken off with a screwdriver.

I have no idea why I made this. My better half and I are having a child in a couple of months and I wrote a novel which - while set to come out late 2012 - is held up on the publisher's end at the moment. I literally have nothing to do all day. I hardly even play computer games. I just felt like making something.

edit: tIMG

Funk In Shoe fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 28, 2012

CrashTestVictim
Oct 2, 2003

...roink PERFECT.

Funk In Shoe posted:

My god that is both hilarious and awesome.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

CrashTestVictim posted:

My god that is both hilarious and awesome.

You have no idea. I've never, ever soldered anything before. I burned out two PCBs from old 10 dollar USB controllers, trying to fit one into a cheapy prototype, before I finally managed to make one work. I am bad at this stuff.

I actually built an even worse prototype, first. I had an old case for a 1999's external CD/RW burner lying around and I spraypainted it black, drilled some holes in it (with my brother-in-law's wood drill!) and finally wired it up.

I bought a soldering iron and destroyed 2 old circuit boards before I finally made one work. Burned the poo poo out of my fingers as well. Soldering is HARD!

Check it out!

Of course, I'd bought 6 buttons online and forgotten that I needed a START/SELECT button as well, resulting in my being unable to do basically anything in SF4: AE once I fired it up. So I had to dig out two old red push-buttons from a drawer and fit them in the side. They're so old and stiff that the acrylic side panel sort of buckles a bit whenever you press them. It's ugly as sin but it works!

edit: tImgs

Koolin
Mar 27, 2010

Funk In Shoe posted:

Hey fighting games thread, excuse me for just barging in here but I uh I was bored so I made a thing out of a piece of plexiglass, an old USB controller, a 10 dollar toolbox from the local home depot, a can of spray paint and a bunch of spare wire.

This is super cool; really inventive. Nice one!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Funk In Shoe posted:

Oh god why did I do this I don't even play fighting games. I even put felt on the bottom and on the wrist-rest, because I had a bunch lying around. God.

I have no idea why I made this. My better half and I are having a child in a couple of months and I wrote a novel which - while set to come out late 2012 - is held up on the publisher's end at the moment. I literally have nothing to do all day. I hardly even play computer games. I just felt like making something.

The answer lies in the heart of battle.

But seriously, now that you've made your own epic custom stick and have the free time go and break that bad boy in!

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Jmcrofts posted:

There's no reason that 2 on 1 couldn't be reasonable, it just looks (for now) like they went too far.

Reasonable by what metric? 2x1 is blasphemy for a lot of older Tag players. It makes absolutely no sense to us, nor can can we fathom how a developer will balance this correctly(they aren't) given the "balancing" we've seen over the last 5 years. It doesn't make sense to risk it because someone is too loving lazy to learn another character or doesnt like the "Tag" aspect, which is in the name of the god drat game.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dane Cook Torrent posted:

Reasonable by what metric? 2x1 is blasphemy for a lot of older Tag players. It makes absolutely no sense to us, nor can can we fathom how a developer will balance this correctly(they aren't) given the "balancing" we've seen over the last 5 years. It doesn't make sense to risk it because someone is too loving lazy to learn another character or doesnt like the "Tag" aspect, which is in the name of the god drat game.

Reasonable as in not broken. I'm not sure if it actually will be broken, but it certainly comes off that way in these early videos.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Jmcrofts posted:

Reasonable as in not broken. I'm not sure if it actually will be broken, but it certainly comes off that way in these early videos.

You have a lot of faith then I guess! Wish I had that.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Funk In Shoe posted:

That, uh.. that sure is some button placement.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Brosnan posted:

That, uh.. that sure is some button placement.

I was thinking the same thing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

stay depressed posted:

I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe he plays Tekken? :downs:

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Well I found a sort of schematic thingie on the web of various button placements but once the time came to drill the holes in the plexi-glass, my brother-in-law's wood drill sort of did a number on me and slid a bit... Caused all sorts of ugly, tiny cracks in the small spacing between the buttons. I have/had no idea what I was doing :) On an positive note, since I made it I have managed to beat SF4: AE on arcade mode, medium difficulty - which I have never managed to do before :) I'm not really good enough at these games to know much about button placements, I sort of looked up some schematics on google and tried to copy/measure to the best of my abilities, but yeeeeah...

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So, I'm really, and I mean REALLY bad at finishing. I've played thousands of matches the past few months, and probably win one out of maybe one hundred or so? I almost feel empty when I actually win. There are plenty of times where I'm winning, then they just turtle and somehow I manage to lose. It's pretty much inevitable. I'll school people, but when I'm about to win, everyone pulls off the most AMAZING, two pixels of health comebacks. I know the guy I'm playing against is probably thinking "Wow! What a comeback! I'm the poo poo!" But I'm like "yeah, that always happens".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

nickmeister posted:

I know the guy I'm playing against is probably thinking "Wow! What a comeback! I'm the poo poo!" But I'm like "yeah, that always happens".

This is endemic to current generation Capcom fighters. If it bothers you, play something else!

EDIT: Also don't be afraid to win by timeout, or use the threat of a timeout to force a lower life opponent to come to you.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 28, 2012

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Don't try to win with chip damage unless you can literally guarantee they have no escape from it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

nickmeister posted:

There are plenty of times where I'm winning, then they just turtle and somehow I manage to lose. It's pretty much inevitable.

If you have the lifelead then why are you still feeling responsible for attacking them? You make it sound like they just start playing defensive and you open yourself up for punishment when you're already winning.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Funk In Shoe posted:

Hey fighting games thread, excuse me for just barging in here but I uh I was bored so I made a thing out of a piece of plexiglass, an old USB controller, a 10 dollar toolbox from the local home depot, a can of spray paint and a bunch of spare wire. I thought somebody here might get a kick out of it!

edit: tIMG
I did indeed get a kick out of it. Looks like it'd be good for shooters, too. Tried Jamestown yet?

(yeah so the button placement is wonky; I give him credit for having a built-in handle)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

nickmeister posted:

There are plenty of times where I'm winning, then they just turtle and somehow I manage to lose. It's pretty much inevitable. I'll school people, but when I'm about to win, everyone pulls off the most AMAZING, two pixels of health comebacks. I know the guy I'm playing against is probably thinking "Wow! What a comeback! I'm the poo poo!" But I'm like "yeah, that always happens".

I'm going to quote Gootecks here (R.I.P)

Gootecks posted:

You need a mindset shift that proves to you that the game is not about killing the other guy, it’s about keeping yourself alive. You may not have really thought about it before, but you must know that when the timer runs from 99 to 0, whoever has the most life left at the end of that period is the winner. Yes that sounds obvious, but think about that for a moment. You don’t actually have to BEAT the other guy, you just have to prevent him from beating YOU.

All you need is a pixel more life than he has when the time hits 0 and YOU WIN! Now I know that you’re thinking that sounds like a boring way to play, but I’m not suggesting that you block or run away for 99 seconds every round. I’m simply suggesting that there is another way to think about winning!

Think about any number of kung-fu movies you may have seen before. Think about the scene where the hero climbs to the top of the mountain to face the old grandmaster. In their first encounter, the inexperienced protagonist tries to overwhelm the master with a flurry of attacks. The master easily deflects and defends against every attack efficiently and with little effort. Why is he able to defend so easily even though the young hero is attacking him as furiously and quickly as he can? The answer is simple. The old grandmaster has more experience and has seen everything the young hero could possibly attack him with before and understands how to properly defend and counter the young hero’s every attack. This can easily be applied to Street Fighter.

tl;dr: when you're ahead on health don't feel like you're under obligation to do anything too aggressive. Play lame.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 28, 2012

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

On the topic of homemade controllers, here's the one I made right after MvC3 came out. I decided I would actually spend some time learning fighting games with it and also quickly decided there was no way I'd play that game on pad. I ordered buttons and got them a week later, assembled a shoebox prototype which I used for far too long, and one afternoon decided to finalize the controller in a cheap pistolcase.

And out of focus picture of the wiring

It's worked quite well. If/when I make another, the main changes I'd make would be to have a way to wrap up the cable around the base or something, make it a bit wider/more ergonomic, adjust the directional layout (as it is 421 is harder than 623), and use a PCB that supports 360.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Why would you want to learn fighting games on a janky hitbox layout? And why Marvel, of all games to try to do it with? That's like the worst game I can think of to play hitbox instead of stick.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Do you have to dislocate your thumb to hit that jump button? :psyduck:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Brosnan posted:

Why would you want to learn fighting games on a janky hitbox layout? And why Marvel, of all games to try to do it with? That's like the worst game I can think of to play hitbox instead of stick.
Main reason was/is that I'm familiar with music games and not used to joysticks. Also I can't think of any reason marvel is a bad hitbox game. Not sure what you'd say makes a game good for hitbox...

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Do you have to dislocate your thumb to hit that jump button? :psyduck:

Thumb is actually positioned fine. My idea behind the layout was that the ring finger is bent by default. It wasn't the best idea. ()

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I play music games and fighting games and there isn't really any relationship between them whatsoever that would make that decision make any sense. And games like Marvel or Tekken require so much more movement and so many more inputs per second than a game like SF4 that using a hitbox seems counterproductive compared to actually learning to use a stick. Even pad is better for Tekken.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Brosnan posted:

I play music games and fighting games and there isn't really any relationship between them whatsoever that would make that decision make any sense. And games like Marvel or Tekken require so much more movement and so many more inputs per second than a game like SF4 that using a hitbox seems counterproductive compared to actually learning to use a stick. Even pad is better for Tekken.

I can't think of any input that a stick can consistently do faster (except perhaps 360s in games without input leniency). You can also fairly easily do some inputs that just seem like they would be too slow to really work on stick, like 236~8P for a very low neutral jumping air hadoken or something, or 6239 for a tiger knee dragon punch input.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If you're going to play on a hitbox then making one like Lhet is the only smart way to do it. I'll never understand why anybody would buy one.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Brosnan posted:

Quick, everyone complain to Harada on Twitter!

No really, go do it!

I did this. ;( https://twitter.com/#!/HiImBleep/status/185157914493857792

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I went with the Sega Astro City layout on my hitbox and it's really comfortable. I only play MK though, and my right thumb is on the bottom left hand button of the right side buttons for blocking.

Weirdly, I also learned on a hit box because I played a bunch of music beat games.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Thinking about making a (s)hitbox next week as a project for my free time, what do you guys wire the buttons up to? The guts of some lovely Gamestop controller?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

diospadre posted:

Thinking about making a (s)hitbox next week as a project for my free time, what do you guys wire the buttons up to? The guts of some lovely Gamestop controller?

I used a Toodles Cthulhu. One advantage is it has dominant directions, so up always overrides down and right always overrides left. This basically just means people can't accuse you of cheating charge moves. Also I guess you can twitch back and forth really quickly by holding L and tapping R. You could use a garbage controller I guess, but it might be a pain to work with.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Wow, I'm surprised by how cheap those are, especially since you don't need to gently caress around with soldering. I'll go with that, thanks.

Now to decide between a shoebox or a pizza box.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

diospadre posted:

Wow, I'm surprised by how cheap those are, especially since you don't need to gently caress around with soldering. I'll go with that, thanks.

Do note that a Cthulhu doesn't work on 360. If you play on ps3 though it's a fantastic PCB.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Here's the results of us playing some WINDJAMMERS

This is part of a series of weekly ranbats.

So what's up for next week?

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
SAMURAI SHOWDOWN 5 SPECIAL
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Date and time is Wednesday, Apr. 4th,10pm EST.

Please note that I will actually be gone, so your TO will be rivals. If he rigs the bracket don't blame me.

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 29, 2012

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Hey, I remember seeing someone post a super-basic KoF tutorial they made on Youtube here some months back, does anyone still have a link to it? I can't find it.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

drugs and paint posted:

Hey, I remember seeing someone post a super-basic KoF tutorial they made on Youtube here some months back, does anyone still have a link to it? I can't find it.

Check out orochinagi.com for all your KoF needs regardless what you're looking for is here

CrashTestVictim
Oct 2, 2003

...roink PERFECT.

diospadre posted:

How could you have a TMNT avatar and not immediately decide pizza box?

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Uznare posted:

Check out orochinagi.com for all your KoF needs regardless what you're looking for is here

Thanks, I've been flipping through stuff there off and on too but I remember liking the video so I figured i'd rewatch it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

CrashTestVictim posted:

How could you have a TMNT avatar and not immediately decide pizza box?

I don't have any of those white plastic things, it might collapse.

• Locked thread