Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

That stick is great. It's all cobbled together from mostly random poo poo but that's the charm - the cheesy video card box art brings it home. Bonus points if it's a comfortable, responsive stick!

Gootecks posted:

You need a mindset shift that proves to you that the game is not about killing the other guy, it’s about keeping yourself alive. You may not have really thought about it before, but you must know that when the timer runs from 99 to 0, whoever has the most life left at the end of that period is the winner. Yes that sounds obvious, but think about that for a moment. You don’t actually have to BEAT the other guy, you just have to prevent him from beating YOU.

All you need is a pixel more life than he has when the time hits 0 and YOU WIN! Now I know that you’re thinking that sounds like a boring way to play, but I’m not suggesting that you block or run away for 99 seconds every round. I’m simply suggesting that there is another way to think about winning!

Think about any number of kung-fu movies you may have seen before. Think about the scene where the hero climbs to the top of the mountain to face the old grandmaster. In their first encounter, the inexperienced protagonist tries to overwhelm the master with a flurry of attacks. The master easily deflects and defends against every attack efficiently and with little effort. Why is he able to defend so easily even though the young hero is attacking him as furiously and quickly as he can? The answer is simple. The old grandmaster has more experience and has seen everything the young hero could possibly attack him with before and understands how to properly defend and counter the young hero’s every attack. This can easily be applied to Street Fighter.

Quoting this for truth. The concept of a fighting game (more life = you win) is simple.

I actually think it's a good exercise while playing to think to myself "How can I place myself into a situation where I have the best chance to gain/hold a life lead?" Of course you can't seriously ask yourself that question 5 times a second as you play - it has to eventually become a natural part of your thought process. And that comes with practice, with experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Uznare posted:

Check out orochinagi.com for all your KoF needs regardless what you're looking for is here

I love that video, it's very clear and easy to follow (though I don't play KOF at all enough to benefit from it). Are there videos like that for other fighter series? I'm only really playing Blazblue at the moment, but learning about the mechanics of fighting games is fascinating, even if I don't play them.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Brosnan posted:

See you later, Gootecks. :(

Is there ANY info on why he's stepping down? I've yet to find any. :(

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Dodgeball posted:

Is there ANY info on why he's stepping down? I've yet to find any. :(

It seems like he's starting to realize that you can't really make a living playing fighting games. Or maybe he's just bored and wants to try something else.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Dizz posted:

It seems like he's starting to realize that you can't really make a living playing fighting games. Or maybe he's just bored and wants to try something else.

I think he has been making more than fine enough of a living from fighting games, considering he quit his job in like early 2009 and hasn't gone back.

I know there was some drama involved in this but no details have come out of it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dizz posted:

No, story is that Skisonic kept saying poo poo about him being high on stream during FR and it made its way back to the sponsors and welp.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Brosnan posted:

No, story is that Skisonic kept saying poo poo about him being high on stream during FR and it made its way back to the sponsors and welp.

Well if that's true then gently caress that guy.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
Why is Skisonic relevant? Who is he I can't remember

Also, Gootecks was blazed as gently caress when he was on with ultradavid too

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Dane Cook Torrent posted:

Why is Skisonic relevant? Who is he I can't remember

He's the guy who looks like he's always trying to hide under his dreadlocks if i remember right.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
By "the story" he means "rumors random people made up."

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Whelp back to Marvel/Melty

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That would be a way more awesome animated gif if Tom Cruise wasn't a complete gently caress-wad looney toon.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

AndyElusive posted:

That would be a way more awesome animated gif if Tom Cruise wasn't a complete gently caress-wad looney toon.

Just pretend we're still in the 90's and no one knows he's crazy yet.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
All I see is Maverick doing what's right :patriot:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

AndyElusive posted:

SFxT: So bad, even crazy people won't play it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

I actually refuse to go to any Tom Cruise movies anymore but for the purposes of that gif it doesn't bother me.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Bebopaloobop posted:

By "the story" he means "rumors random people made up."

I can't argue that I have a credible source or anything, but it's pretty obvious if you watched the Cross Counter episode that this is not a careful, thoughtful decision on Ryan's part. He doesn't really have a politically correct explanation prepared so he stumbles through some made-up poo poo about moving on to other things, and then has an unusually angry "gently caress you" to unnamed individuals. You can believe that it's Skisonic's fault or not, but some poo poo clearly went down that precipitated this.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Brosnan posted:

I can't argue that I have a credible source or anything, but it's pretty obvious if you watched the Cross Counter episode that this is not a careful, thoughtful decision on Ryan's part. He doesn't really have a politically correct explanation prepared so he stumbles through some made-up poo poo about moving on to other things, and then has an unusually angry "gently caress you" to unnamed individuals. You can believe that it's Skisonic's fault or not, but some poo poo clearly went down that precipitated this.

Yeah he was really vague and calm about it so when the whole "gently caress You" thing happened it took me by surprise.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

PonchAxis posted:

Yeah he was really vague and calm about it so when the whole "gently caress You" thing happened it took me by surprise.

Is there a video of this? Fighting game drama sustains me.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Six Of Spades posted:

I love that video, it's very clear and easy to follow (though I don't play KOF at all enough to benefit from it). Are there videos like that for other fighter series? I'm only really playing Blazblue at the moment, but learning about the mechanics of fighting games is fascinating, even if I don't play them.

There's surprisingly not much out there as far as general video guides. As far as I know anyways, there's just Sirlin's ST series and the IaMP tutorial video.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

Ashenai posted:

Is there a video of this? Fighting game drama sustains me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3CPrE7pW_A

gently caress you's start at 41:29.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

taser rates posted:

IaMP tutorial video.

everyone should play IaMP because IaMP owns

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

taser rates posted:

There's surprisingly not much out there as far as general video guides. As far as I know anyways, there's just Sirlin's ST series and the IaMP tutorial video.

Ah, that's a shame. But thank you! IaMP looks very interesting!

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Brosnan posted:

As far as I can tell this is the origin of the skisonic rumour

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36429391&postcount=48 posted:

From Marnorz Twitch chat:

Emp_gene_miller: "It's not much of a secret: at final round Snitchsonic was joking about gootecks being high on the mic for 3SOE.. "Not DarryH" ran to complexity and told them, they got pissed off and fired him."

Can anyone deny or confirm?
That doesn't seem like a very trustworthy source to me. I agree that gootecks explanation was bullshit but blaming skisonic because of some random rumour is just as dumb.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
If youre gonna bust fighting game players for being high you might as well shut the whole thing down. james chen and ultradavid sitting in front of two mics... commenting on nothing...

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Sorced posted:

As far as I can tell this is the origin of the skisonic rumour

That doesn't seem like a very trustworthy source to me. I agree that gootecks explanation was bullshit but blaming skisonic because of some random rumour is just as dumb.

Are you seriously telling me that the whole "blame skisonic" thing started from stream chat and nothing else.

Jesus.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

PonchAxis posted:

Regardless of the rumors, like the past two(maybe more?) streams I saw him on he was CLEARLY baked. People were trying to explain it as tired, which I bought for a bit, until his gigglefits kicked in and Ultradavid sat there like the robot-mannequin company man he is trying to trudge through commentary.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Regardless of the rumors, like the past two(maybe more?) streams I saw him on he was CLEARLY baked. People were trying to explain it as tired, which I bought for a bit, until his gigglefits kicked in and Ultradavid sat there like the robot-mannequin company man he is trying to trudge through commentary.

This sounds hilarious, what stream was that?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

This sounds hilarious, what stream was that?
Start of Day2 of final round. http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/310475167?t=64m30s The Gigglefits might come later but the link should take you to the start of gootecks commentary.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

If youre gonna bust fighting game players for being high you might as well shut the whole thing down. james chen and ultradavid sitting in front of two mics... commenting on nothing...

Welcome to e-sports. You can't show up to tournaments hosed up if you are a sponsored professional without running into trouble with your sponsor.

This seems nutty to us, because historically lots of people are high/drunk at FG tournaments. However, this kind of thing comes with the turf of the BIG ESPORTS $$$$$$$. He should have known better.

Also, I think it is disgusting that people are going after skisonic as a "snitch." In our little world, and as crazy as it sounds, skisonic is a journalist. That's what he is supposed to do. I say this as someone who doesn't really enjoy skisonic's shows or commentary all that much.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 30, 2012

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

40 OZ posted:

Also, I think it is disgusting that people are going after skisonic as a "snitch." In our little world, and as crazy as it sounds, skisonic is a journalist. That's what he is supposed to do. I say this as someone who doesn't really enjoy skisonic's shows or commentary all that much.

Pretty sure it's got more to do with the fact that getting in trouble for smoking pot is about the most petty childish poo poo ever.

Thus, if it's Skisonic's fault that Gootex got in trouble for smooking pot skisonic is a petty childish gently caress.

I don't like Gootex or smoke pot and this is really obvious to me.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

Pretty sure it's got more to do with the fact that getting in trouble for smoking pot is about the most petty childish poo poo ever.

Thus, if it's Skisonic's fault that Gootex got in trouble for smooking pot skisonic is a petty childish gently caress.

That's the most absurd logic I've ever seen. If you are being paid to represent a company in a particular enviroment, show up high, and decide to make a public appearance, you're probably getting fired.

Blaming people who saw it and talked about it, acting as if they were responsible for the whole thing, is pretty dumb. You can't take a whole lot of money from someone that expects you to act in a certain way, fail to act the part, and blame people who pointed it out.

This, of course, is assuming that there's any truth to the whole thing to begin with, which as far as I know may not be the case at all.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I haven't been following the FGC since SFxT was released. I suppose that he may have exposed this somewhere other than one of his podcasts, which would take this out of the realm of journalism, I guess.

NecroMonster posted:

However, you are still aggressively retarded. He isn't in trouble with the police, jesus, tom cannon, or his mom.

Mr. Gootecks is a sponsored, professional video game player, and he showed up to a video game tournament high on drugs. Do you not see why his sponsor might get upset about that? I'm not seeing the debate here.

You or I are free to get high as a motherfucker at a tournament. A sponsored player is not. Can you figure out why?

*obviously this is based on speculation from what I have gleaned from this thread, i'm open to the possibility this stuff had nothing to do with weed or whatever

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Assuming the rumors are true for a minute, who the hell is Not DarryH and why would Complexity listen to him about anything he goddam says? Who the gently caress goes to a players sponsor and tattles on them for anything? Further more if you're a sponsor, who the gently caress takes someones random word for it that one of your sponsored players is high and then fires them over it? I get that this is the FGC but this sounds more like elementary school than esports and this all sounds like one huge stupid game of telephone.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
There is nothing true to the rumours. Complexity doesn't even own crosscounter, so all they could have done is kick him out of their team. You can't fire someone from their own company. https://twitter.com/#!/compLexityLive/status/185087951686991872

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I'm trying to find the video from Winter Brawl this year where D'Nyce accidentally admits to being high as gently caress while commentating and the funny banter that ensues, but no dice.

After going to a bunch of these things, and being in a lot of different hotel rooms, I'm gonna have to side with Gootecks on this one.

Busting FG players for smoking weed? This is like banning pitchers of beer from the bowling alley.

edit: Never mind the fact that's he's a drat Cali citizen and probably is committing no crime at all.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
This should really go in the Pro Street Fighter thread because it's boring as poo poo to hear about in here.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gootecks has a gigglefit during commentary with UltraDavid and because UltraDavid is so completely not funny the only logical conclusion is that Gootecks must be totally baked on marijuana. Ya I guess that makes sense.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

AndyElusive posted:

Gootecks has a gigglefit during commentary with UltraDavid and because UltraDavid is so completely not funny the only logical conclusion is that Gootecks must be totally baked on marijuana. Ya I guess that makes sense.

Did you see the stream or are you being facetious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
I can't believe Capcpom threw Gootecks out in the sticks like that.

• Locked thread