Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not talking about execution at all, just the process of figuring out what combos are possible.

If you screw around in training mode in GG you can tell in a matter of minutes that gravity scaling exists and roughly how it works without ever having heard of it before, just by watching what happens if you launch the dummy over and over. An IPS system like Skullgirls' would seem totally random and confusing unless it were explained to you (or if you're some kind of pattern recognition wunderkind, I guess.)

Oh okay, yeah I see what you mean now. Though I think GG is actually a bad example in this case... Gravity Scaling takes a good while to start to really kick in in GG in a significant way. The air hit-stun scaling makes a significant effect a lot sooner and is a lot more likely to cause your combos to drop.

Hokuto no Ken would be a really good example though. That game doesn't have any hitstun scaling and relies almost entirely on gravity scaling (for air combos) and pushback scaling (for ground combos) for it's infinite prevention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Hokuto no Ken would be a really good example though. That game doesn't have any hitstun scaling and relies almost entirely on gravity scaling (for air combos) and pushback scaling (for ground combos) for it's infinite prevention.

And as we all know hokuto no ken's infinite prevention system is impeccable.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That's not what we were talking about at all.

Edit: Less obnoxious answer, we were talking about the obviousness of the IPS system for someone playing the game without any prior knowledge. Not about how good or bad they were, or their implementations were.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 26, 2012

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah, that worked out great.

Also, Raoh's ground and aerial 214 HK can technically allow you to do infinites (works on Heart because of his huge rear end hitbox).

I mean, you can build drive meter pretty quick once you're dried out and know what to do to build more quick.

Then again, this is why I love the game, because any character can kill another.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Again that's not even what we were talking about. I didn't claim HnK had a GOOD IPS, because it's woefully buggy and there are a bunch of things that just completely ignore it (throws, Raoh's 214D outside of the corner, Debounce resets gravity, etc). I said it was a good example of a very obvious implementation of a Gravity Scaling IPS, which it is, because gravity kicks in VERY fast and it's effect is very obvious. It's also not super complicated like Guilty Gear which has like a dozen different IPS systems going at once.

Also just FYI, Raoh's ground 214D loop only works on Rei because Rei gets an extra frame of hitstun while crouching. His j.214D loop works on anyone, it's just really hard to do.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I don't really understand why developers insist on adding a bunch of move-specific exceptions and caveats to their systems expressly intended to prevent infinites that inevitably just create opportunities to do infinites.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
As far as good IPS I seriously think that SBX had one of the best idea's, with the calling assist while being comboed to break out of the combo. It was actually pretty effective and cool.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Yeah, thanks for the correction. It's just that his j.kunai reset was easier on Ken and Heart but harder on others.

I think the infinite-prevention in HNK is fine, it's just that certain things like resets and drive break that, which I'd blame on lack of play testing or maybe it was intentional for the hype factor.

edit: New DOA5 trailer with new stage reveal. Bayman looks like a generic COD/MW character.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 26, 2012

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

As far as good IPS I seriously think that SBX had one of the best idea's, with the calling assist while being comboed to break out of the combo. It was actually pretty effective and cool.

Yeah, but then you have to play Sengoku Basara X soooooo there's that

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
If I'm semi decent at SSFIV, Thid Strike, and Blazblue but suck balls at MVC3, will KoF XIII interest me? Never played a KoF game but they look pretty fun

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
I've never played DOA. Is it/has it ever been good? From what I gather DOAs main draw have pretty much been a bunch of tits flopping about. Is this wrong?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jfzh2s3jlE

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

Weezy88 posted:

If I'm semi decent at SSFIV, Thid Strike, and Blazblue but suck balls at MVC3, will KoF XIII interest me? Never played a KoF game but they look pretty fun

KoF is a more grounded game than Marvel, so the transition shouldn't be too hard, and drive cancels make combos simpler when you have bar for them, so you can fall back on that while you're still getting used to the feel of its normals.
Just don't take combos in the trials as the rule but as exception that can still be educational.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

South Town guy posted:

KoF is a more grounded game than Marvel, so the transition shouldn't be too hard, and drive cancels make combos simpler when you have bar for them, so you can fall back on that while you're still getting used to the feel of its normals.
Just don't take combos in the trials as the rule but as exception that can still be educational.

A huge problem I had with this game is learning to not drive cancel every time I can, assuming that what I was doing could be done without bar usage. It was incredibly frustrating...

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

I've never played DOA. Is it/has it ever been good? From what I gather DOAs main draw have pretty much been a bunch of tits flopping about. Is this wrong?

People who do not play DoA for the best Bruce Ree ripoff character ever or pounding faces in with not-Jean Reno are doing it wrong.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Ryoga posted:

People who do not play DoA for the best Bruce Ree ripoff character ever or pounding faces in with not-Jean Reno are doing it wrong.

I forgot that the game even had male characters based on the marketing and community.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Ryoga posted:

I think Law is the most developed and complex Bruce Lee rip.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Dane Cook Torrent posted:

I think Law is the most developed and complex Bruce Lee rip.

C'mon, Auto-taunts on knockdown. How sweet is that?

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006

South Town guy posted:

Cool thanks man, picked it up and I'm looking forward to learning something new. I love MVC but it's just too much going on for my old eyes sometimes.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Weezy88 posted:

You'll probably like it. I'm very new to playing KoF but I feel like it takes the aggression and fast pace that I love from vsav and Marvel and puts it into a more ground-based game. I happen to be into Marvel, but I suspect that a lot of people who are bad at it or otherwise dislike it have a hard time getting used to the sheer amount of bullshit that's happening all over the screen at all times, and KoF is much easier to follow than that.

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

No it is not good and no it has not been good, and no you're not wrong. There are a few die-hards out there, but basically DOA is a game that you play if you think Tekken and VF are too hard and you want a version of them that isn't fun or interesting. It sells well because it looks slick and it's easy to play, but it sort of sits outside the realm of competitive fighting games (the way Mortal Kombat did from like, MK4 through 8).

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I don't really understand why developers insist on adding a bunch of move-specific exceptions and caveats to their systems expressly intended to prevent infinites that inevitably just create opportunities to do infinites.

Generally speaking it's to try and make the individual move feel impactful, powerful, or behave in the way that the player will expect it to based on the art. Another chunk of the exceptionalism is to try and foster difference between characters and player discovery. Super-armored normals in Marvel are an example I like to break out a lot - if you watch people learning the game they get super excited the first time they do a Hulk stand H and it just blows through whatever their opponents were doing.

Sometimes, obviously, it goes wrong.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The DOA community is what you'd expect the Smash Bros. community to be if they had a sense of hygiene. They are stuck with a lovely system that screws people over and doesn't allow for actual competitive play.

Literally half of the people on FreeStepDodge(the one forum they talk actual gameplay on) are on my ignore list. Even the owner of the site can't stand them.

Also, cool KOF bug for those getting into KOF. These games always had the most hilarious bugs in FGs.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I just want to state that this is one of the best FGC related shirts and that I desperately want it.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
is that mr ortiz

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah it is. I must have this shirt.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It will also be available in Rufus yellow. :allears:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
So much better than Justin's shirt.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

uncleKitchener posted:

Also, cool KOF bug for those getting into KOF. These games always had the most hilarious bugs in FGs.

Why the hell does airwalking happen so much in the KoF series

Also list me as another dude who wants a Ricky Ortiz shirt.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Ummm assist breakers are just bursts, they require a certain assist level and delevel it a lot when used. You can very easily get caught without an assist break and get caught in one of the games many TIME OVER INFINITES. Also some infinites were impossible to break at certain points.

So no, SBX did not have a good system at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, Playstation Smash Bros is officially a thing:

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/152?ch=1

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

So, Playstation Smash Bros is officially a thing:

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/152?ch=1

Well, hopefully it won't be a total piece of poo poo like Brawl. I loved Melee, I love Nintendo, but Brawl was a bag of horse-cocks.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
no items, max of 27 ledge grabs, no level 3 supers, kratos hard-banned, mount olympus stage only

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Dodgeball posted:

I loved Melee, I love Nintendo, but Brawl was a bag of horse-cocks.

I don't wanna start a huge derail but I strongly disagree.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Hearing that some of the devs on this are competitive fighting game fans is kind of encouraging. Looks more fun than Brawl too.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

darealkooky posted:

I don't wanna start a huge derail but I strongly disagree.

Pretty much. Brawl was never a fighting game, but that's not stopped it from being fun or a good game otherwise.

There seem to be some key differences with this Sony version though. No ring-outs, and the only items seem to be super attacks and assists. I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of it aesthetically, though. Brawl took a lot of time to redesign the characters so they all looked, uh, cohesive. And here I don't think they've done that; and it looks a bit jarring and messy.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

PalmTreeFun posted:

Hearing that some of the devs on this are competitive fighting game fans is kind of encouraging. Looks more fun than Brawl too.

Fans is an understatement. Two people on the team are Ed Ma and Majestros.

blumpkinbliss
Nov 19, 2007

Jaguar Post
This past weekend by Madcatz TE stick just sort of stopped functioning. The buttons still seem to work ok, but I can move the stick in every direction and absolutely nothing happens. I do have a spare joystick a friend gave me a while ago, but I've never actually opened one of these up. I've spent the last 40 minutes or so looking up tutorials on youtube, but all I can find are videos about modding sticks. I tried to skip to portions where they simply install the new, modded stick, but it seems pretty complicated (some of them use soldering irons and what not). Can anyone point me to a more direct and simple joystick replacement guide? Cause this stuff isn't cutting it.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
You don't need to replace the whole stick, just the PCB that's on the stick. All you'll have to do is remove the top panel screws, lift up the panel, remove the gate on the bottom of the stick (it's attached with black clips and the gate itself is clear, really easy to take off.) Under that is the PCB and it just comes out, no screws or anything. Put the new PCB on with the connector facing the same way, make sure to put the wire on the same way, pop the gate back on and put the top panel back on.

If you have a spare stick you can just swap the PCB's but you'll be left with a spare non-functioning joystick. If you don't want that, you can just get a replacement PCB here:

http://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-tp-ma-pcb-assembly/

Here's a video that shows taking off the gate and the PCB first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2ONYAapOQ

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 27, 2012

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

AndyElusive posted:

I just want to state that this is one of the best FGC related shirts and that I desperately want it.

Who would buy any of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Dane Cook Torrent posted:

Who would buy any of these?

People who want shirts? $25 for a shirt I'll never wear isn't really that much dude, not everybody works at Urban Outfitters or whatever.

• Locked thread