Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I think the OP needs at little description of what "canceling" means. It felt like for a little while the MK thread was nothing but "What does xx mean" and "ok so how do I do it."

OP needs a segment that just says Cancelling is xx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Wezlar posted:

Considering its been 3 years I'm gonna sat probably not. But ST has a bigger scene nowadays anyways

Maybe for hardcore players, But more people play HDR overall from what I've seen if they don't have a PC or local arcade unit.

I still play both, but HDR is easier for people to get into if they want to try SF2 and actually do decently.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

if they don't have a PC or local arcade unit.

that kind of narrows it down :cheers:

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Someone actually DOESN'T HAVE a PC?

:holymoley:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I thought I had talked about canceling but I think I just assumed that someone who'd read the parts about frames/chains/links would innately get the concept, which may have been a little too optimistic. Added it to the terms list.

When I get the chance I'll also add thread links for the current major titles so that they're easy to find.

Second post will be for either A. a more thorough stick recommendation discussion (especially if anyone wants to contribute to this, since my recommendation is still just "buy a TE, stupid"), or B. the terms list if it starts getting so long that it needs its own space.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

washow posted:

Someone actually DOESN'T HAVE a PC?

:holymoley:

Not one that has GGPO ready for ST. It's just easier and more fun to play HDR overall for convenience of it being on a console rather than have to mess around with emulators and set that poo poo up, we have to do that enough for 2I and KOFs as it is.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
So who here plays HDR Classic mode? If schedules match up it could be cool to have a regular weekly goon lobby or something.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Nice OP!

You might condense* the Throw tech/break/soften section into one. For example, Savior actually calls it teching, but the mechanic is softening basically (partial damage, but quicker recovery).

Trivia question - Has a single game ever had mechanics for both, really? Like a tech for proper reaction, but still having softening if you're slower on the draw?

*If you're trying to actively work on the OP. It's nice though!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ZerodotJander posted:

So who here plays HDR Classic mode? If schedules match up it could be cool to have a regular weekly goon lobby or something.

I would. I don't bother with remix mode at all anymore but if you want to play classic mode on xbox i'll play.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
For those of you who are collectors, waiting for SxT, or simply want the late hotness, Street Fighter X Tekken sticks are now available for pre-order. They use the new design with the ribbed white bottom and the red frame, but are otherwise TEs in pretty much every way.

Unrelated: My TE bag came in on Tuesday and it's the best thing ever. I'll post pics in a bit.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

Nice OP!

You might condense* the Throw tech/break/soften section into one. For example, Savior actually calls it teching, but the mechanic is softening basically (partial damage, but quicker recovery).

Trivia question - Has a single game ever had mechanics for both, really? Like a tech for proper reaction, but still having softening if you're slower on the draw?

*If you're trying to actively work on the OP. It's nice though!

Tekken does, on a move-specific basis. If you do King's Giant Swing command throw, it's a 1 break, but if you fail to break you can still soften after he tosses you by timing your tech roll to the moment of impact (which is what deals the damage for this particular throw). This is true of a couple of other throws as well (typically just the few where some of the damage comes from you hitting the ground).

Edit: Also, I really dig the shape on the new SFxT sticks, but I wish they weren't monkey-rear end red.

Edit2: I'll take a look at combining the throw stuff. It occurred to me that people still call it teching even in games that only have softens anyway.

Brosnan fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 26, 2011

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Maximilian has started a 3rd strike online warrior series for those interested in a good players take on the game.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Maximilian has started a 3rd strike online warrior series for those interested in a good players take on the game.

Why would you come in here to post but not provide a link?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GBwi3BGwk4&feature=player_embedded

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Mantle posted:

Why would you come in here to post but not provide a link?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GBwi3BGwk4&feature=player_embedded

Thought I did. Doing this from a phone sorry.

Might it be an idea to link some of the community shows like online warrior and excellent adventures in the OP actually? I know that personally they helped get me get more interested in the community aspects of the fighting game scene.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 26, 2011

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I'm pretty stoked. Birthday Present coming in the mail, can't wait for this bad boy to get here.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Excuse me but where the hell is the mention of the hypest game of the decade, AquaPazza????!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Aquapazza is actually looking like the best new fighter around right now, much to my surprise. Really all they need to do is nerf Riannon a bit and the game would be super solid.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

So besides playing a lot every day, what is the best way to get good at a fighting game? I played a ton of them back in the day (I loved Killer Instincts dial-a-combos) but after getting back into Street Fighter 4 AE I get ruthlessly stomped by people who aren't even very good online and in the arcade.

I have been putting in some hours into training mode but after a few hours session I feel like I'm ready to try out the Bread n butters out on people but I never can pull anything off in a real match. What keeps me motivated is watching some of the live streams and seeing the sick things people can pull off.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I'm sure you know more than me, but isn't the stick really close to the buttons?

VV Shows what I know!

Banjo Bones fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 26, 2011

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

bromplicated posted:

I'm sure you know more than me, but isn't the stick really close to the buttons?

It's the same dimensions as the arcade cabinet for Street Fighter 4 in Japan.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

quote! = edit

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

bromplicated posted:

I have been putting in some hours into training mode but after a few hours session I feel like I'm ready to try out the Bread n butters out on people but I never can pull anything off in a real match..

!

After you have the combo down change the dummy to cpu and try to land it. The computer plays in a pretty predictable fashion so it isn't the same as a real match but it should help you.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

bromplicated posted:

Yeah. It is.

It's made for Japanese Oompa Loompa hands. It's my only frustration with the TE stick.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Aquapazza is actually looking like the best new fighter around right now, much to my surprise. Really all they need to do is nerf Riannon a bit and the game would be super solid.

I don't see how this is surprising Examu has turned out good game after good game. NC crew almost has a pack that when the game comes out we will mug anyone who mains Riannon unless she gets something changed.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It really wouldn't suprise me if the game just disappeared after SBO though! And Riannon needs more than a "bit" of nerfs considering she should poo poo all over the entire cast

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

bromplicated posted:

VV Shows what I know!

Here's a comparison shot that I stole (but rehosted!) from some dude doing a review. The graphics on the panel itself make the stick location look slightly deceiving.

It's a bit closer to the buttons than on a TE, but really, there's still a decent amount of space.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

dj_de posted:

It really wouldn't suprise me if the game just disappeared after SBO though!

It wouldn't surprise me either since I don't expect any fighting game that isn't made by Capcom, Arcsys, or Namco to last more than a few months, regardless of quality.

quote:

And Riannon needs more than a "bit" of nerfs considering she should poo poo all over the entire cast

Not really, a few small tweaks is all it'd take to take her from god tier down to a reasonable high tier status. Shortening the range and slightly slowing down a few of her normals (the sweep especially), and increasing the startup/recovery on her shower orbs and meteors. Probably reduce the number of projectiles out of the shower orbs too.

A number of characters could probably use better tools to deal with her too. A few characters already do pretty well against her.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Bit late getting in here but just wanted to say I too love the OP and Brosnan for it.

If it doesn't seem too inappropriate could we put the info for the Goon Fighting Game irc channel? I'll just plug it right here on the second page anyhow:

Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #goonsgarden

The channel began life as a Street Fighter 4 oriented goon haven, but considering the directions many of the other more specific fighting game irc channels have gone it seems appropriate to provide another option to anyone looking to focus on their game of choice. If you wanna play or just talk about anything fighting game related or even if you just wanna chill and see what us sperglords rant about then you'll be in good company. Come join us as we discuss frames, GGPO, and how awesome/lovely Street Fighter 4 is!

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
iplaywinner will be streaming VF5: Final Solution tonight at 6pm PST.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Trykt posted:

Bit late getting in here but just wanted to say I too love the OP and Brosnan for it.

If it doesn't seem too inappropriate could we put the info for the Goon Fighting Game irc channel? I'll just plug it right here on the second page anyhow:

Adding links to the IRC channels was in the plans for the OP, I just forgot about it. Thanks.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Oh man, one of my best friends was Sarah in that last VF5FS fight. That Aoi was apparently awesome.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
VF5FS looks like a ton of fun. Really looking forward to its release.

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.
So I got bodied by Mike Ross and Justin Wong in MVC3 and AE respectively. I admit that I'm trash at both games although I've played them the most and I have a problem of studying the game more than actually playing, but oh my god.

3 out of 5 game I got perfected twice by Justin. I saw him toying with the girls and bad players by spamming shoryus but he was total serious face on my ibuki.

Mike demolished me in mvc3 but I am absolutely garbage at that.

So! If anyone else his here at PAX let's level up my game! :unsmith:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Skullgirls video time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-5ZH5mx7UQ

Grinta (FIL/CER) vs. Mike Z (CER/PEA/PAR)

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Skullgirls video time!

Is that a Zero Suit Samus color for Parasoul? :swoon: Also that music is awesome. I love Michiru Yamane.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

apophenium posted:

Is that a Zero Suit Samus color for Parasoul? :swoon: Also that music is awesome. I love Michiru Yamane.

The best part about Zero Suit Parasol is that she wears pants, yet still manages to have pantyshots.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So dumb that an indy group can have great sprites which allows ggpo later on and Capcom keeps churning the 3D models that prevent anything good.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Tae posted:

So dumb that an indy group can have great sprites which allows ggpo later on and Capcom keeps churning the 3D models that prevent anything good.

You cant really be mad at Capcom for that. Remember, lots of idiots see 2d graphics and immediately think the game must suck. No Im not kidding.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Loose posted:

Skullgirls video time!

This game is seriously looking loving awesome. I can't even imagine how much time it must have taken to do all the sprites for these characters.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

apophenium posted:

Apparently it's more based on Olivier Armstrong:

Tae posted:

It's pretty easy to say that and not think about the sheer volume of work doing sprites actually takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Broken Loose posted:

Skullgirls video time!

God I seriously hope this comes out for PC.

• Locked thread