Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sade posted:

Ms. Fortune is the only one who's even a little bit gruesome? There's like no blood in the game at all besides her. And her whole schtick is that she's a zombie catgirl with detachable body parts. I think it's a little egregious to jump straight from "made a zombie catgirl character with detachable body parts for an indie fighting game" to "the artist probably jacks off to intestines 14 times a day."

One thing that Something Awful taught me was that, if I don't like a certain art-style, and it envolves anything that can be considered a fetish - which is everything nowadays - that probably means the artist is an irredeemable, disgusting freak.

Although, to be fair, that's a natural defense mechanism in the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure you can
Nov 3, 2008

I wouldn't really call skullgirls gruesome. Darkstalkers was way more gruesome with jedah and raptor, plus you could cut people in half in that game.

I've taken some time to think about it and I like how Parasol and her soldiers look. She's the best looking character in the game art direction-wise, imo.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
It's all very cartoony. If you think Skullgirls is gruesome what is your opinion of something like Ren and Stimpy? Is that show unwatchable to you?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gamest Mook posted:

MK has probably the whiniest player base of any game for some reason.

Team Fortress 2. Especially goons.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

3rd Strike OE: obviously, the inputs are pretty strict compared to SF4 and BlazBlue. Anyone got some tips with the double quarter-circle motion needed for most of the supers? I'm having a hard time with the motion. I think I might not be going up high enough.

I'm pianoing the buttons, so I'm not too worried about the timing (unless I'm way off and someone is going to come in and tell me something like, "start your piano way earlier than you think"). Not having the input display for training mode makes it difficult for me to debug on my own.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Antillese posted:

3rd Strike OE: obviously, the inputs are pretty strict compared to SF4 and BlazBlue. Anyone got some tips with the double quarter-circle motion needed for most of the supers? I'm having a hard time with the motion. I think I might not be going up high enough.

I'm pianoing the buttons, so I'm not too worried about the timing (unless I'm way off and someone is going to come in and tell me something like, "start your piano way earlier than you think"). Not having the input display for training mode makes it difficult for me to debug on my own.

The way everyone uses a stick is pure preference, but personally i find it easier (on a square gate) to not ride the gate when doing double qcf in older games. in newer games it will account for the slop that can happen when you just ride the gate to do inputs and give you bad habits. its also faster this way and more precise since sanwa sticks have a really small throw (you dont need to move the stick a lot for the switches to activate).. I'm assuming you're using a sanwa stick by the way, because thats what I use and it is almost default for capcom fighters.

edit: \/\/\/\/ ew gross XD

Zand fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 29, 2011

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
Ms. Fortune isn't the only gross character. Painwheel has nails embedded into her body and a mask sewn onto her face. And is that her spine sticking out the back?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Fishmonkey posted:

Ms. Fortune isn't the only gross character. Painwheel has nails embedded into her body and a mask sewn onto her face. And is that her spine sticking out the back?

It's not her spine, it's like a mechanical kind of thing. It's fused to her spine though.

sure you can
Nov 3, 2008

That probably looks gross to a child, or a person who only uses the internet for facebook.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Eh, art style looks okay. I'm more interested in gameplay. Honestly, the whole thing could be about stick men with different fashion and I'd still play it if it's fast paced and fun.

Music however is pretty calm for a game like this. I don't play any 2D fighters, so I don't know how the music is for those type of games.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Sade posted:

I think it's a little egregious to jump straight from "made a zombie catgirl character with detachable body parts for an indie fighting game" to "the artist probably jacks off to intestines 14 times a day."

So I take it you haven't seen Kinuko's other artwork before?

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Ryaomon posted:

So I take it you haven't seen Kinuko's other artwork before?

Isn't the art primarily styled after o_8/Alex Ahad's work? Kinuko has a fairly similar style but it's not the same guy (and I don't think I've ever seen Ahad post some of the kind of stuff Kinuko does that you're referring to).

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Dr Slouch posted:

Isn't the art primarily styled after o_8/Alex Ahad's work? Kinuko has a fairly similar style but it's not the same guy (and I don't think I've ever seen Ahad post some of the kind of stuff Kinuko does that you're referring to).

Yes, Alex is the lead artist and is responsible for the designs of the characters themselves. Kinuko is the lead animator.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)
I saw the unthinkable today: Marn didn't look or act like a clown when he did some stream matches with Filipino Champ on the PC version of AE; I thought that took a lot of effort to be more obnoxious than Marn until I saw that stream (FC's customized PC version is just... :ughh: ).

MrJacobs posted:

Super Turbo has some retarded poo poo, but if you are counting Capcom games, anything made after 3rd Strike, where Capcom actually listens to it's fans should count.

Gamest Mook posted:

MK has probably the whiniest player base of any game for some reason.

To be fair, MK9 had some really broken, stupid stuff going on like the Reptile force ball bug, Cyrax's outfit bug, or the unfixed Kenshi block bug; complaints weren't just balance issues like the twins or Fei Long owning everyone. Character balance is another thing with guys like Yun and the MK DLC guys being stupid good (Specifically Rain, Freddy, and Kenshi due to his block glitch).

Did people really whine about older MK games!? How do you take the PS2 games seriously (they were horrible)?

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 30, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gamest Mook posted:

The MK9 tournament scene has not struggled at all, its attendances at majors relative to the attendances for other games have been increasing since Evo, where it already made a strong showing (500 people, most popular game after AE and MvC3). Why do people think this? Just because it isn't on streams?

Most of the big-name SF/Marvel players aren't playing or aren't placing, so people assume it's dead.

Boxman posted:

If you had asked me, I would have thought it was struggling just because of that one random Avoid the Puddle contest where they basically bitched about the tournament scene for an hour or so. Obviously not scientific or anything, but if you're not really involved in one of the major scenes, it's hard to get a bead on these things. Of course, I probably wouldn't volunteer information about the scene. :shobon:

That was the one with Aris crying over the top of Hector Sanchez, and Tom Brady being Tom Brady, right?

Schmendrick posted:

To be fair, MK9 had some really broken, stupid stuff going on like the Reptile force ball bug, Cyrax's outfit bug, or the unfixed Kenshi block bug; complaints weren't just balance issues like the twins or Fei Long owning everyone. Character balance is another thing with guys like Yun and the MK DLC guys being stupid good (Specifically Rain, Freddy, and Kenshi due to his block glitch).

From what I gather the main reason this stuff takes forever to get addressed is that WB makes them stagger the patches so that they contain a similar number of fixes each time, and because they don't want to release patches until they've recouped the costs for the last one, so as sales slow down patches are fewer and farther between. That doesn't change the fact that some of that stuff should have been caught long before release, but whatever.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Fishmonkey posted:

Honestly, seeing boobs getting punched is probably more "ooh, nasty" than Painwheel and Ms. Fortune's designs.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I'm looking to dual-mod a PDP Versus Controller to work with 360 and PS3. I imagine this would be harder than modding a stick, but is it even possible? Which one of the two would be better to start with? Thanks in advance.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Anyone remember My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic that was brought up a couple times earlier in the thread? The developers just posted a new update about one of the mechanics. This game is sounding better the more I hear, basically the anti-SFxT.

quote:

The Magic system is what really gives each character their own personal touch. Each character has a certain unique skill which they can utilize in limited amounts, similar to BlazBlue's Drive system. There are several primary types- an automatically refilling type, one wherein you have to manually stock charges to utilize, and one wherein you have a finite stock. There are, however, possiblities where types may be merged, and of those featuring the manual charge type, one character may have a different NUMBER of charges to use than another. It is this function of the game that will allow for a deeper layer of strategic gameplay.

For example, Twilight has a manually charging type of Magic...

Wherein, once she reads her book, a section of the meter charges, up to three.

Once she has three meters stocked, she can either use them one by one to place traps to help control spacing...

or...sink all of them into placing a larger, harder hitting trap...

or lastly...

use them all to super charge her projectile, allowing it advanced speed, damage, and different properties than her normal projectiles. As everyone's Magic is unique to themselves, it will allow for very unique styles of play, and will allow for inventive players to do incredible things!

Its amazing how much these guys are trying to make something actually GOOD! They couldve easily just gone the lazy route and threw together some lovely Mugen sprite dump then internet mouthbreathers wouldve hailed them as visionaries, but no they actually appear to give a gently caress.

Edit: I also love the image of the horn in the fireball, an obvious reference to the Hadoken hands.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
That really isn't that unique of an idea and also that game looks really bad because every character looks the same, normal move wise.

Also it's based of my little pony which isn't really bothersome to me, but it makes it so you can't really differentiate limbs and basic attacks through use of a character design's contrast, making it a much harder game to read than normal.

Totally wish those dudes used their art talent to make a better game. Similar to Card Fighter Clash or whatever, it' really unfortunate these people want to make cool games, and then make really boneheaded decisions that overall hurt the health of the game.

That said, I respect the dedication.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 31, 2011

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Waterbed posted:

That really isn't that unique of an idea and also that game looks really bad because every character looks the same, normal move wise.

Also it's based of my little pony which isn't really bothersome to me, but it makes it so you can't really differentiate limbs and basic attacks through use of a character design's contrast, making it a much harder game to read than normal.

But the only two characters completed enough to show off didnt have the same normals at all. Its true that each character basically having a Drive button isnt the most unique idea, but since when did 'done before' mean 'not good'

The similarity of the pony bodies though, that might be a problem. If their animations are different enough it could help your brain figure things out I guess.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Finally, a game that could attract people that combine the horrid smell of Brawl players with the incredible creepiness of the Melty players at your local anime convention. Truly unprecedented.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Melty players already stink and Brawl players are already creepy though. In fact I imagine there's a not insignificant crossover of those groups and bronies to begin with.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Finally, a game that could attract people that combine the horrid smell of Brawl players with the incredible creepiness of the Melty players at your local anime convention. Truly unprecedented.

I always saw them one in the same. Then again, Metly players are more likely to masturbate while playing their mains while Brawl players are more likely to get into a Noel Brown-style meltdown of excessive swearing and fist fighting.

My local scene LOVES that show which is creepy to see at tournaments where people have pony art on their joystick and little figures glued all over. A couple of the bronies thought I liked Rainbow Dash since I used a green balltop and various colours of buttons with the stock TE round 2 art and started to call me that instead of my usual handle, Anarchy. This is addition to their usual circle jerks of Jersey Shore and other reality shows, but it is the only scene in my area so I need to put up with it or just play online again.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
The moment someone managed to make an entertaining girls show the creeps jumped on it :(

I remember watching the old show and hating the hell out of it. Mainly because I was forced to watch it since we only had one TV at the time.

The game doesn't look bad. Sure, they are a lot of creepy MLP fans, but if the developers manage to keep the tone of the show without introducing any fan stuff it wouldn't be bad.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
The game looks pretty fun for an indie-fighter and I think it's great they could have gone :effort: on it but haven't so far. It's also nice to see fan-projects actually making progress instead of fizzling and dying before they even attain a playable product.

That said, let's not get back into a discussion about how much we hate Smash Bros or the Brony Pizza Hut video or whatever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gamest Mook posted:

Melty players already stink and Brawl players are already creepy though. In fact I imagine there's a not insignificant crossover of those groups and bronies to begin with.

Don't conflate anime fans who play anime games with fighting game players who play anime games, please.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I always saw them one in the same. Then again, Metly players are more likely to masturbate while playing their mains while Brawl players are more likely to get into a Noel Brown-style meltdown of excessive swearing and fist fighting.

My local scene LOVES that show which is creepy to see at tournaments where people have pony art on their joystick and little figures glued all over. A couple of the bronies thought I liked Rainbow Dash since I used a green balltop and various colours of buttons with the stock TE round 2 art and started to call me that instead of my usual handle, Anarchy. This is addition to their usual circle jerks of Jersey Shore and other reality shows, but it is the only scene in my area so I need to put up with it or just play online again.

That's pretty creepy, especially if they can't even pronounce someone's real name, having to use retarded terms like Anarchy to address people with real names.

That being said, it looks like it could be fun for about 5 min before being dropped by most people except for hardcore pony fans. Has there been any information on what kind of other set-ups or abilities these characters might possess within the system.

Countblanc posted:

Don't conflate anime fans who play anime games with fighting game players who play anime games, please.

But in many cases they are one in the same in my experience, not all of the time, but at least enough for the stereotype to exist.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I haven't watched an anime since like Vampire Hunter D when I was 13 but I played Melty Blood at a FG meet and it seemed like a pretty good game. Everything was polished and the gameplay seemed like a mashup of alpha and marvel.

The nvqrqstrmnm guy who had deer as projectiles was especially pretty sweet. That said, when that game was big and on streams the guys who made it to top 8 were usually some interesting looking gentlemen, even compared to regular FG players.

Maybe I read SA too much but I don't care how good that brony game is, that is wayyyy too much baggage. With Mortal Kombat and Pony Fighter now we have both extremes of bad culture covered in the FG scene. Yuck!!! :barf:

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 31, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Considering its rather humble beginnings, Melty is pretty disgustingly fun. I like the fast pace of it, there's a nice cast behind it, and the mechanics are interesting.

I haven't really played it since getting into FGs on a higher level, but that's mainly because the developers seem to have this intense aversion to consoles. But hopefully those rumors about MBAACC 1.07 getting a proper console port pan out. And, hey, there's still the hilariously overpriced PC version.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

That being said, it looks like it could be fun for about 5 min before being dropped by most people except for hardcore pony fans. Has there been any information on what kind of other set-ups or abilities these characters might possess within the system.

There hasnt actually been very much shown off about the game yet. Only two (not yet complete) characters, some small writeups on how theyre trying to make it play, and the 'Drive' system, which so far they only posted how Twilight's is gonna work. A couple months ago they did an hour long stream which looked pretty fun, which they came out saying was an old build and theyve done a bunch more since then.

Also theyve posted a few of the animations.

S-Alpha posted:

I haven't really played it since getting into FGs on a higher level, but that's mainly because the developers seem to have this intense aversion to consoles. But hopefully those rumors about MBAACC 1.07 getting a proper console port pan out. And, hey, there's still the hilariously overpriced PC version.

Has there been any word on that coming out stand-alone? I really want that game, but dont wanna buy Carnival Phantasm to get it.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

That's pretty creepy, especially if they can't even pronounce someone's real name, having to use retarded terms like Anarchy to address people with real names.

They are trying act like the REAL PROS and believe such actions will make the community better. They only started to call me Anarchy because some of the guys in my scene found my steam ID when steam updated with that Facebook linking and found my username Anarchy Whiskey!. So now they don't call me by my real name but whatever stupid name they have for me since it changes on the week but it has been Rainbow Dash for the past month when a bunch of bronies joined the group. They also send me really stupid Steam and Facebook IMs like to stop playing Team Fortress 2/Company of Heroes/Gears of War 3 and practice my Chun-Li so I can attempt to play serious this week.

poo poo like this makes it really hard for me to take a local scene seriously. It might be growing but it's not anything I even remotely enjoy based on the direction it is going and hardly worth putting up with spreglords just to play offline. I mean, last week I won a weekly scene round robin with a 10 dollar entry, I got a Deathadder Black Edition that looked like a impulse buy and was opened once instead of the advertised pot percentage for placing second. :confused:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Has there been any word on that coming out stand-alone? I really want that game, but dont wanna buy Carnival Phantasm to get it.

Aside from the aforementioned nebulous rumors about a proper console port that we haven't seen hide nor hair of any real evidence for, no. Which is too bad, since I also really want that game. And then there's the protection on it, which sounds just cruel.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

They are trying act like the REAL PROS and believe such actions will make the community better. They only started to call me Anarchy because some of the guys in my scene found my steam ID when steam updated with that Facebook linking and found my username Anarchy Whiskey!. So now they don't call me by my real name but whatever stupid name they have for me since it changes on the week but it has been Rainbow Dash for the past month when a bunch of bronies joined the group. They also send me really stupid Steam and Facebook IMs like to stop playing Team Fortress 2/Company of Heroes/Gears of War 3 and practice my Chun-Li so I can attempt to play serious this week.

poo poo like this makes it really hard for me to take a local scene seriously. It might be growing but it's not anything I even remotely enjoy based on the direction it is going and hardly worth putting up with spreglords just to play offline. I mean, last week I won a weekly scene round robin with a 10 dollar entry, I got a Deathadder Black Edition that looked like a impulse buy and was opened once instead of the advertised pot percentage for placing second. :confused:

Normally Id say something like 'hey at least you HAVE a local scene!' but no, with a scene like that I think Id just rather stay home and play on Xbox Live or something.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

poo poo like this makes it really hard for me to take a local scene seriously.

Are there any really good players? (someone who has done well at some point in a major tournament) Do people put in "crack" sessions? If the answer is "no" then you have no local scene at all, and if you want one you will have to build it yourself.

Often times there are more than one "scene" in an area- one where it is a bunch of hardcore FG players who meet once a week and play from like 7pm to noon the next day, in a house that is littered with setups, maybe a mame cabinet or two, sticks everywhere, etc. There are guys just passed out in sleeping bags next to two dudes who have been playing guilty gear or marvel 2 for 6 hours straight. There are 5-6 guys on the patio smoking and talking about matchups. It looks like a drug house except people are talking about FG instead of crack. This is the "scene" you are looking for, and where you can level up.

Here we have that, which owns, and then ~another~ scene which is a bunch of 500lb anime fans who get a room at the college and play smash, argue about anime, and have one setup of a proper fighting game which just sits there alone all night. They might play one game for 1-2 hours tops and never discuss any strategy other than where the pizza is coming from. You might have wondered into this scenario.

Either way, if there aren't any good players or people trying to get good, it isn't really a scene.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 31, 2011

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

You really shouldn't take things involving video games seriously at all, because they are just toys, but that scene sounds pretty loving stupid in how they conduct themselves. Refusing to call people real names at a social gathering and demand you take a loving hobby more serious than other hobbies is a huge loving dick move and I feel for ya.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If you have a local scene big enough, it's excusable to use handles instead of names IRL. There are like 4 other guys named Anthony, so I get to be Broken. There are like 6 guys named Alex, so one's Tsak, one's Jebailey, etc.

Doesn't excuse My Little Pony names, though. Nothing does.

Also, that animation looks really lifeless. Either the show had really poo poo animation or the guys doing the game need to study good 2D art like Looney Tunes or Darkstalkers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

40 OZ posted:

Are there any really good players? (someone who has done well at some point in a major tournament) Do people put in "crack" sessions? If the answer is "no" then you have no local scene at all, and if you want one you will have to build it yourself.

You can't really go on and on about how great your scene is, tell people to make their own, and then offer no advice for doing that :mad:. The reason a lot of places don't have scenes is because they are rural, or underdeveloped, or a number of things that aren't just that there are no good players already there.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Countblanc posted:

You can't really go on and on about how great your scene is, tell people to make their own, and then offer no advice for doing that :mad:. The reason a lot of places don't have scenes is because they are rural, or underdeveloped, or a number of things that aren't just that there are no good players already there.

A good scene is two parts

1. Good players

From what I have seen it is difficult to be more than 2 hours from -some- good players. Because of streams all we know now is Mike Ross and Sanford Kelly or whatever, but you don't realize that there are good players all over the place. I've seen that exact scene setup there that I described in loving Alabama. And they had guys who placed well at majors. I've heard there are a couple of great players in Alaska. Kuwait got past the first round at SBO.

If you absolutely can't get any good players, what you might try is to drive to where the nearest good scene is (if it is less than an hour or two), and try to be the "good" player at your smaller local scene.

If you can't get any good players then you can still have a scene but you will all have to work alot harder to make progress.

2. Convenient place to play

Getting a room at a college or whatever is cool, but IMO you need a house or apartment that can host a weekly crack session. Crack session meaning the doors go open at like 6-8pm on friday and isn't over until the next afternoon. This is tough because this kind of thing isn't going to happen in any abode that is inhabited by someone who is not a FG player. There will probably be some beer drinking and a little pot smoking, but generally these are attended by people as young as 16 so nothing too ridiculous going on.

Yes it isn't pretty, but we don't have arcades anymore.

edit- I don't mean "it is only for good players" I mean that if you can get 1 or 2 good players, it becomes much easier for everyone to get better.

Also, you need 4 setups at least. Beg or do what you have to, to get people to bring them.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 31, 2011

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

40 OZ posted:

I been trying to make a alternative scene in my city but people always want to go to the original scene. This is most likely that I am one of the oldest players in the scene and the majority of the kiddy-winks only started in SF4 where I started way back in the arcades with SF2. Where I tried to make something more laid back and not so rival-like, they want that intense MLG-style environment where they yell and roar like a loony toon coming out of the crazy house. They aren't focused on getting better, it just winning at all costs with gimmicks and wakeup ultras. Everyone tier whores so it's always whatever Daigo does plus whoever is top rather than what characters they are good at. Every week, it's just Yun, Fei, Ken, and T.Hawk.

I thought some of the other older players, who founded it in my area, would share the same attitude but they are the ones who basically felt like fighting games needed to change with the times by making it a super competitive scene rather than a learning experience. It's a shame since the only other scene is in the next province about 4 hours away and they have the ideal scene you outlined.

Other than that, there are Brawl players who consider themselves a scene, but they got kicked out of the student union building for various reasons so they stink up a local gaming store.

MrJacobs posted:

You really shouldn't take things involving video games seriously at all, because they are just toys, but that scene sounds pretty loving stupid in how they conduct themselves. Refusing to call people real names at a social gathering and demand you take a loving hobby more serious than other hobbies is a huge loving dick move and I feel for ya.

The funny thing about it is that it is the worst players in my area who are doing it. The ones who have lapses of sanity and think I am not going to anti-air a unsafe jump so they keep doing it over and over. They are also terrible at anything but Call of Duty, so you can see where their mindset comes from.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I been trying to make a alternative scene in my city but people always want to go to the original scene. This is most likely that I am one of the oldest players in the scene and the majority of the kiddy-winks only started in SF4 where I started way back in the arcades with SF2. Where I tried to make something more laid back and not so rival-like, they want that intense MLG-style environment where they yell and roar like a loony toon coming out of the crazy house. They aren't focused on getting better, it just winning at all costs with gimmicks and wakeup ultras. Everyone tier whores so it's always whatever Daigo does plus whoever is top rather than what characters they are good at. Every week, it's just Yun, Fei, Ken, and T.Hawk.

I thought some of the other older players, who founded it in my area, would share the same attitude but they are the ones who basically felt like fighting games needed to change with the times by making it a super competitive scene rather than a learning experience. It's a shame since the only other scene is in the next province about 4 hours away and they have the ideal scene you outlined.

Maybe I've always been lucky but I don't think there has ever been a need to regulate the 'tone' of the scenes I have been to. You just give a bunch of FG addicts a regular, reliable space to play and then everything else just happens on its own.

quote:

They aren't focused on getting better, it just winning at all costs with gimmicks and wakeup ultras. Everyone tier whores so it's always whatever Daigo does plus whoever is top rather than what characters they are good at. Every week, it's just Yun, Fei, Ken, and T.Hawk.

This is more philosophical and I don't see how tier whoring or 'trying to win at all costs' or whatever can cripple or damage a scene. That guy who plays a gimmicky blanka at your local scene is teaching you all of those gimmicks so you don't get gimmicked out during tournament play. That guy who plays phoenix is teaching you how to fight phoenix.

The basic philosophy of practicing fighting games is to get better at something. The only metric we have of that, is tournaments. Fighting top tier characters gets you better at winning tournaments than fighting low-tier characters. And yes, there is a point of diminishing returns here, I'm not saying you should all pick Yun all day every day. But if you have a good Yun player you shouldn't get upset at him.

I don't want to make any special commentary about your scene or say how this applies, because I don't really know, I'm just offering a side of the story.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

They are also terrible at anything but Call of Duty, so you can see where their mindset comes from.

Sounds like it is time for a new scene

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 31, 2011

• Locked thread