Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I was directed here for the question so ill go ahead and ask.

For an Arcade stick newbie like myself, what is a good introduction stick to get for ps3? Where would my money be best spent? Do i really need Sanwa parts if im new to the hobby...etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I am a new player as well and this is what I bought http://amzn.com/B0041SGD44

I use it on my PC, but it's made for PS3. It owns and it was slightly cheaper than the Mad Catz TE stick.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, either the Real Arcade Pro V3 SA or if you want a more inexpensive option (with somewhat worse parts), the Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick is a decent choice. Get the Wii->USB adapter and it'd work on PC and PS3. Easy to swap in Sanwa parts as well if you get more serious about it.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
You definitely don't NEED Sanwa parts, they're just what most people use.

However, it's worth noting that many cheaper sticks on the market have really low quality parts, relatively speaking, and won't survive much use.

What eriddy posted would be fine, but if I were buying my first stick I'd get an EightArc Fusion, because it's compatible with both 360 and PS3. I'd rather not have to worry about borrowing a stick if the tournament/casual session/etc. only had the console my stick didn't work with.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
$45 bucks for that eightarc stick? That's pretty amazing if it's even halfway decent.

That's the shipping price to mexico I think..

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
How hard is it to swap the stick on a wwe brawl stick? The default one doesn't register diagonal up unless I really grind it into the gate and I have a bag of sanwa buttons + stick laying around.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Can anybody testify about the quality of the hardware in the eightarc sticks? I'd love to get a stick compatible with my PC and PS3 and my PS3 TE is more of a hassle to mod than I'd like which serves me right for not doing a bit of research before dropping cash.

E: It's sanwa parts all the way down so I guess the site answered my question.

Metrohunter fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 3, 2011

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Klaus Kinski posted:

How hard is it to swap the stick on a wwe brawl stick? The default one doesn't register diagonal up unless I really grind it into the gate and I have a bag of sanwa buttons + stick laying around.

Just need a screwdriver.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
The stick I linked (Hori Real Arcade Pro V3 SA) is compatible with both PC and PS3. As for modding, it's all sanwa parts, and it's cheaper than those eightarc sticks.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
That is true. I should keep my eye out for one.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Talkc posted:

I was directed here for the question so ill go ahead and ask.

For an Arcade stick newbie like myself, what is a good introduction stick to get for ps3? Where would my money be best spent? Do i really need Sanwa parts if im new to the hobby...etc

I bought a 6 button Hori stick for ~$50 because I was just getting into it and didn't want to drop the $130-$150 for a TE stick. Now I am going to be buying a TE stick. Total cost: ~$200. I could've saved myself the $50.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
madcatz brawl stick is probably the best choice for low end sticks, followed by the hori fighting stick v3/vx. All the stuff in the brawl stick is easily replaceable, and at least the joystick is easily replaceable on the hori product (mounting holes for a jlf).

Dont get the tvc stick unless you really want a wii stick

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 3, 2011

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
The V3 SA/ VX SA are great sticks for value, easily moddable (except for art). I have one for my 360 that i also use on PC.

And I also bought a low quality stick (hori X2) that died after 3 weeks of Street Fighter 4, so if you are thinking of commiting to buy a stick at least buy something that isn't crap.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Robolizard! posted:

Dont get the tvc stick unless you really want a wii stick

I just saw one dirt cheap and bought it, am I screwed?
Is there something wrong with the tvc stick + converter aside from low quality (but replaceable) buttons and joystick? Are there any latency issues or something? :ohdear:

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Is there something wrong with the tvc stick + converter aside from low quality (but replaceable) buttons and joystick? Are there any latency issues or something? :ohdear:

They were on sale here for $20 and I missed out on it. :( Anyway, no issues with quality or anything (other than the shittiness of stock MadCatz parts), it's pretty much the same as other SE sticks, except that it's a Wii stick. In fact, I think the stick uses Omron microswitches (the same one's found in a Sanwa JLF).

I don't know anything about the Wii to whatever converters, so I can't speak about that. But basically it's good, but you'd have to spend extra anyway for a converter or a PCB replacement, so you'd probably be better off buying a BrawlStick for your system of choice.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
The joystick isn't so good but the buttons are pretty drat nice for the price. They are not the same terrible ones that were on the Madcatz SE. That said, I had one go out in about 2 months.

I really like the size of it and the texture they put on the top feels really nice.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Constellation I posted:

They were on sale here for $20 and I missed out on it. :( Anyway, no issues with quality or anything (other than the shittiness of stock MadCatz parts), it's pretty much the same as other SE sticks, except that it's a Wii stick. In fact, I think the stick uses Omron microswitches (the same one's found in a Sanwa JLF).

I don't know anything about the Wii to whatever converters, so I can't speak about that. But basically it's good, but you'd have to spend extra anyway for a converter or a PCB replacement, so you'd probably be better off buying a BrawlStick for your system of choice.

I'm playing on PC and PS3. Both can accept standard USB joysticks, so unless the converter introduces latency I should be fine.

The tvc stick + converter in FSLink's post cost me $50.52 and I can use them with Wii, PC, and PS3 (thank you Sony for implementing standard USB joysticks).

I also have Wii collecting dust. Are there any fighting games on that?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I also have Wii collecting dust. Are there any fighting games on that?

Guilty Gear, TVC, Castlevania Judgement (lol), KOF Orochi Saga....

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

40 OZ posted:

You forgot the most important. Fighters History Dynamite!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

40 OZ posted:

Shamsho collection too.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

NecroMonster posted:

Shamsho collection too.

There's two big strikes against that:

1. No blood.

2. No SSV Special.

If I remember correctly, they hosed up the controls on those ports too.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Bovineicide posted:

1. No blood.

2. No SSV Special.

Still a fighting game (more than one actually!) on the Wii.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Bovineicide posted:

1. No blood.

2. No SSV Special.

Mario strikes again t:mad:

I looked up GG and KoF and apparently they have no netplay. So, basically I'm stuck with TvC and Castlevania Judgment if I want to play some Wii :(

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I looked up GG and KoF and apparently they have no netplay. So, basically I'm stuck with TvC and Castlevania Judgment if I want to play some Wii :(

The netplay is a deciding factor? TvC has horrible nearly unplayable netplay. Castlevania Judgement has horrible nearly unplayable gameplay in general.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I really wanted Castlevania Judgement to be a good game.

The music is great, the graphics are sharp, and the game looks like a put alot of effort into it. I'm not even some huge castlevania fanboy, it just seems like alot of wasted potential. :(

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

No, the lack of blood is all SNK's fault. It was like that in the PS2 version as well.

Maybe in three years or so, we can finally have a home port of V Special on the Neo Geo Station :allears:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Gutcruncher posted:

The netplay is a deciding factor? TvC has horrible nearly unplayable netplay. Castlevania Judgement has horrible nearly unplayable gameplay in general.

I don't have local GG or KoF players. So yes, it's a deciding factor unfortunately. lovely netplay that has some players > No players.

I never played GG personally and from what I hear I'm probably missing a lot.

I tried to convert some people to KoF but playing on a PS2 in the PS3 age didn't appeal to them. Hopefully I can convert them with KoF XIII and make the world a better place.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Metrohunter posted:

Can anybody testify about the quality of the hardware in the eightarc sticks? I'd love to get a stick compatible with my PC and PS3 and my PS3 TE is more of a hassle to mod than I'd like which serves me right for not doing a bit of research before dropping cash.

E: It's sanwa parts all the way down so I guess the site answered my question.
I was looking at the Qanba dual-moded sticks and striking out on availability everywhere when I saw that Aris review of Eightarc sticks and bought a Fusion. I really like it, very solid build case-wise as well in addition to the Sanwa parts. Compared to my TE it's a bit heavier and bit larger in all dimensions, which I also like. Also, the felt on the bottom really is no joke for gripping your pants while you play with the stick in your lap. I thought that was kind of a gimmick when I first saw it but after using it for a while I have noticed I don't flub things then look down and realize my stick shifted as often.

Personally my only gripes are with the cable, which is a couple of feet shorter than a TE and is kind of a trip hazard when it's hooked up to the PS3 in my entertainment center. Also, I was under the false impression that all their sticks had detachable cables from the Aris review and was a little bummed that it's attached on the Fusion but a USB extension cable fixed all my cable gripes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gutcruncher posted:

The netplay is a deciding factor? TvC has horrible nearly unplayable netplay.

Oh god, brings back such horrible memories. I never hated Batsu so much in my life and I have no idea who he is, but gently caress him and his lag fireballs.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Tae posted:

I never hated Batsu so much in my life and I have no idea who he is, but gently caress him and his lag fireballs.

Rival Schools :allears:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Tae posted:

Oh god, brings back such horrible memories. I never hated Batsu so much in my life and I have no idea who he is, but gently caress him and his lag fireballs.

You need to take history lessons.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Shoma should have been the breakout character from RS.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The moral of the story is to steal a Dreamcast and play Project Justice because that game owns and free alpha counters are loving hilarious.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

inthesto posted:

The moral of the story is to steal a Dreamcast and play Project Justice because that game owns and free alpha counters are loving hilarious.

I want a Project Justice sequel so bad. Or at least for some of the characters to make their way into Street Fighter ala the Final Fight characters.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I dont know of any actual latency tests for any of the wii -> usb converters, and since the brawl stick is identical parts wise and you aren't actually planning on playing a wii game with it, it makes more sense to just get the native stick.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

inthesto posted:

Tardy counters for SF4: 2012.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

kaujot posted:

I want a Project Justice sequel so bad. Or at least for some of the characters to make their way into Street Fighter ala the Final Fight characters.

The opposite of that actually happened, Sakura is in the first Rival Schools.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Lord Chumley posted:

The opposite of that actually happened, Sakura is in the first Rival Schools.

Totally forgot about that. Whatever. Project Justice is superior!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

kaujot posted:

No kidding.

I think I saw an Akira card in a trailer or some such for the Heroes and Heralds mode in UMvC3. I guess that's something.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Hello I'm just starting to play. I have a stick now I just need a game. Some criteria: xbox 360, I'd be playing mostly online. Not too complicated as I haven't played these games in ages. I guess all roads lead to SF4, right?

• Locked thread