Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Brosnan posted:

Darkstalkers would look loving amazing done in KOFXIII sprite style. I really don't want to see another hideous SFIV variant.

Rotoscoped 3d models wouldn't look good for Darkstalkers at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

canoshiz posted:

Beats the hell out of Funny and Cool Moments #5992 and streams of bad players

Man I can't stand this poo poo. How many goddamn "Funny and Cool Moments" has that guy done?? I mean I guess it would be alright if it was actually new stuff in every video but when he started doing them and I actually watched a few before I realized what a waste of time it was they were pretty much like 70% repeat footage in each video. Why does he keep doing it?? Why do people enjoy it?? And why does every fg site count it as news?? I actually don't want any of these questions answered and just want them all to go away. Maybe I should go away. Hand me a gun and I'll end it right now. Thanks a lot Keits!!!

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Honestly a Vampire sequel would look best if they took the Skullgirls approach and, you know, actually animated everything by hand. I think rotoscoped animation would look dumb, but HD Remix/BlazBlue graphics would outright make me not want to play the game. HD Remix looks like CD-i Zelda with the constantly shifting proportions and BlazBlue has four frames per animation at best.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

GG era Arc Sys animation would be fine.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think Darkstalkers would suit Arc System Works sprites more than anything else.

No because Darkstalkers is really well-animated and Arc games aren't.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I will paypal bet anyone here 10 US DOLLARS that if a new darkstalkers game gets made, it will be in 2.5D like SF4.

Why on earth would they go back and start hand drawing 2D games again? I think that ship sailed a long time ago for Capcom.

edit- My reasons:

1. I don't think they have the talent on hand to do it.

2. It costs more money. When SNK made KOF13, they did everything in 2.5D (eh or 3D models, you know what i mean) and then used that as a guide to draw it all. I just don't see Capcom doing this, when their 2.5D games are selling like wildfire.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 26, 2011

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Zand posted:

I said this a few pages ago, but honestly, if you're going to troll Sirlin find a good reason. I've ragged on Sirlin a ton but I own Puzzle Strike and it is fantastic, and my roommate owns Yomi and it is also great. I really doubt that anyone calling his games crappy has actually played them. That said, there are a ton of actual reasons that Sirlin is an obnoxious turd but the quality of his games is definitely not one of them.

Can't speak for Puzzle Strike but while Yomi is a decent game every time I pick it up I end up feeling like I'm playing Super Turbo at 1/50th the speed which raises the question "why aren't we playing ST instead?"

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Zand posted:

I said this a few pages ago, but honestly, if you're going to troll Sirlin find a good reason. I've ragged on Sirlin a ton but I own Puzzle Strike and it is fantastic, and my roommate owns Yomi and it is also great. I really doubt that anyone calling his games crappy has actually played them. That said, there are a ton of actual reasons that Sirlin is an obnoxious turd but the quality of his games is definitely not one of them.

I know I hate it when stuff like newspapers have op-eds or magazines run anything nonfactual. I wish that SRK was just a list of facts I could read. It really annoys me when outlets for a gaming community try to express the opinions of that gaming community.

I bet the card games are fun, but they're not my thing. Just something about them seems awkward.

quote:

I think Darkstalkers would suit Arc System Works sprites more than anything else.

Arc sprites look more detailed than animated.

quote:

Bad people make good games all the time.

Counter Point: Derek Smart unless he finally made something good.

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 26, 2011

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mio Bison posted:

Can't speak for Puzzle Strike but while Yomi is a decent game every time I pick it up I end up feeling like I'm playing Super Turbo at 1/50th the speed which raises the question "why aren't we playing ST instead?"

Puzzle Strike is Puzzle Fighter but turn-based and with some serious balance problems.

edit: It's actually really funny to me as a Dominion player because it reeks of generic fighters trying to become the next Street Fighter but not understanding the mechanics of a competitive game. Remember War Gods, how it had a 3D button and that was supposed to change everything? Puzzle Strike is like that but Sirlin didn't research, understand, or probably even play Dominion.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 27, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Broken Loose posted:

Puzzle Strike is Puzzle Fighter but turn-based and with some serious balance problems.

I'd say Yomi resembles a fighting game (and it doesn't all that much really) far more than Puzzle Strike resembles Puzzle Fighter. There's been an update recently that is supposed to fix the balance too.

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
Darkstalkers was always the experimental franchise where Capcom tried out crazy ideas before bringing it over to the Street Fighter games (ie. new art style, regenerating health, EX moves, fatalities, etc). Hopefully, Capcom continues this tradition and gives us a completely batshit sequel.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brosnan posted:

No because Darkstalkers is really well-animated and Arc games aren't.

Um, this isn't the case at all. If you actually look at the animation, Arc Systems can animate just as well as what the old Vampire games did, just it's only shown in a very select few characters (Faust, Arakune as an example). If you actually pay attention, it's either a stylistic or budgeting choice, not lack of skill.

If I recall, Sirlin stated Puzzle Strike is loosely based off Dominion, with some design influence from Puzzle Fighter.

Yomi looks pretty fun to me. I don't really like the "deck of cards" approach to it. I actually think this was an attempt to make things more recognizable, but managed to just end up equally confusing while managing to add an element, which feels like a net loss. Sirlin doesn't strike me as a bad designer, just he was doing something where the end goal wasn't really worth striving for to begin with with HDR. I agree with the spirit of the goal, but given the resources he had, it wasn't actually worth it IMO.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 27, 2011

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Waterbed posted:

Um, this isn't the case at all. If you actually look at the animation, Arc Systems can animate just as well as what the old Vampire games did, just it's only shown in a very select few characters (Faust, Arakune as an example). If you actually pay attention, it's either a stylistic or budgeting choice, not lack of skill.

If I recall, Sirlin stated Puzzle Strike is loosely based off Dominion, with some design influence from Puzzle Fighter.

Games are judged by their lowest quality. If a single dude in each Arc fighter has good animation while 100% of the others have poo poo animation, the game has poo poo animation. Arc games have comically bad animation from both technical (low frame numbers) and artistic (the attacks often just look like random poses than actual attempts to hurt somebody) standpoints.

I don't expect any people in this thread to have played Dominion, so take me for my word when I say this: Puzzle Strike is 95% Dominion, kind of like how Mortal Kombat 1 was 75% Street Fighter 2.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Broken Loose posted:

Games are judged by their lowest quality. If a single dude in each Arc fighter has good animation while 100% of the others have poo poo animation, the game has poo poo animation. Arc games have comically bad animation from both technical (low frame numbers) and artistic (the attacks often just look like random poses than actual attempts to hurt somebody) standpoints.

You guys are nuts. I'm not sure if you understand what a stylistic choice means. You realize that there are actually negative gameplay implications for Darkstalkters style animation, right? You're aware that BlazBlue has higher frames per animation than like, pretty much every other 2D fighter ever made (except maybe KoFXIII?, I haven't checked those animations). Usually tying with 3rd Strike. You realize that animation can be objectively better without having to be grossly exaggerated. The article about Darkstalkers animation is good (it shows where 3D games can get it really wrong, and why 3D isn't a really good stylistic choice for Darkstalkers). However it isn't some holy grail of animation knowledge.

You might want to spin the fact that yes, Darkstalkers animation is really weird, interesting and out there. That does not make it better than Guilty Gear or Blazblue, in fact, in many cases, it is WORSE for a video game to have extreme animation.

From a pure objective standpoint: I would argue that while I hate the crap out of BlazBlue's characters, the move choices etc, from a pure gameplay perspective, it is better than Darkstalkers in every single department but "woah, that's novel". I am a total animation nerd here too. I love Darkstalkers animation a whole lot, but ArcSystems is entirely capable of replicating the style, doing it equally well, and saying otherwise is totally false. However, in their own games, they choose to do something different.

The DK Rap
May 12, 2010
You know him well.
A remake of Darkstalkers would probably be a lot easier to produce than SF2 HD Remix was, or at least harder to gently caress up so badly for a couple of reasons.

Darkstalker's graphics were aiming for a simpler, cartoon style with bigger sprites and exaggerated proportions than Street Fighter 2. This makes it easier to figure out what's going on in each sprite and doesn't result in the first attempt at SF2HD sprites which had something like 8 shades of colour on characters.

Also, Capcom, starting from X-Men / Darkstalkers / SF Alpha went through a process of having hand-drawn character frames before passing them to the sprite artists who would shrink them, add shadows / light and fine details, like this:

If they still had those lying about it would be a great start for anyone, although in the end it comes down to organising the production of sprites better than SF2HD, having better artists involved and not running out of time/money resulting in some of the errors that crept into the final SF2HD. (Most noticably, in the middle of Guile's crouching Fierce, the shading on his pants completely vanishes. Along with characters' proportions and anatomy changing from frame to frame)

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Waterbed posted:

From a pure objective standpoint: I would argue that while I hate the crap out of BlazBlue's characters, the move choices etc, from a pure gameplay perspective, it is better than Darkstalkers in every single department but "woah, that's novel". I am a total animation nerd here too. I love Darkstalkers animation a whole lot, but ArcSystems is entirely capable of replicating the style, doing it equally well, and saying otherwise is totally false. However, in their own games, they choose to do something different.

I don't know if I'm reading this correctly because the prose is pretty weird, but are you saying the gameplay of BlazBlue is far better objectively than Darkstalkers? That's not true at all.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Capcom is never making another sprite based game. You guys should know this by now.

They also have 3 nice models from mvc they can use when they decide to quickly put together a darkstalkers game.

vv it's the fighting game thread don't be pedantic

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 27, 2011

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Buhbuhj posted:

Capcom is never making another sprite based game. You guys should know this by now.

http://megaman.capcom.com/10/

:megaman:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

That's been out since March.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Beautiful Ninja posted:

:10bux: Skullgirls devs don't have the cash to throw into artists like Capcom or SNK can.

SNK cut and pasted in KOFXIII too look at Joe and Hwa, or Vice and Mature just look at them compare those sprites right next to each other, it is funny.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

That's been out since March.

It was also relatively successful and everyone loved it!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Waterbed posted:

OK so they chose to animate poorly and I would rather they not do that with Darkstalkers. :angel:

Plus I'd rather have an art style that's actually interesting and cool rather than Generic lovely Anime Sprite Fighter #2,437.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Broken Loose posted:

I don't expect any people in this thread to have played Dominion, so take me for my word when I say this: Puzzle Strike is 95% Dominion, kind of like how Mortal Kombat 1 was 75% Street Fighter 2.

puzzle strike in inherently a lot more fun than dominion - there's a lot more stuff to be doing (multiple-action turns are super common), you cycle through your deck faster, you're not encouraged to buy blank chips like in dominion, and there's the entire metagame of managing the gem pile that dominion doesn't have. Dominion just really isn't as fun as many of its successor games, it just happened to invent the genre. Dominion is Street Fighter 1.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

SNK cut and pasted in KOFXIII too look at Joe and Hwa, or Vice and Mature just look at them compare those sprites right next to each other, it is funny.

KoF XIII is pretty good looking, but it's definitely not the most technically impressive game.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Cinroth posted:

Man I can't stand this poo poo. How many goddamn "Funny and Cool Moments" has that guy done?? I mean I guess it would be alright if it was actually new stuff in every video but when he started doing them and I actually watched a few before I realized what a waste of time it was they were pretty much like 70% repeat footage in each video. Why does he keep doing it?? Why do people enjoy it?? And why does every fg site count it as news?? I actually don't want any of these questions answered and just want them all to go away. Maybe I should go away. Hand me a gun and I'll end it right now. Thanks a lot Keits!!!

You can make a "Funny and Cool moment" out of pretty much any random ranked match replay. Maybe he just needs to add some flash animation starter pack sounds like slide whistles and rimshots to win back the heart of the FG community.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Brosnan posted:

OK so they chose to animate poorly and I would rather they not do that with Darkstalkers. :angel:

Plus I'd rather have an art style that's actually interesting and cool rather than Generic lovely Anime Sprite Fighter #2,437.

ArcSys doesn't look like they're changing it any time soon either. Persona's animations are just as lovely and stiff as BlazBlue's.

tranceMD
Apr 25, 2006

Forsooth! Methinks thou art no ordinary talking chicken.
I'm 99% sure Seth Killian was asked in an interview a while back about the possibility of Capcom returning to pure 2D art, and he basically shot down the idea and ran it over with a monster truck. I would expect a new Darkstalkers game to look like Street Fighter 4: Halloween Edition.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Puzzle Strike isn't really that similar to Dominion, the basic strategies of the games aren't very much alike. It's like comparing table tennis and badminton. The outward forms of the games are similar but the way you play them isn't.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

ZerodotJander posted:

Puzzle Strike isn't really that similar to Dominion, the basic strategies of the games aren't very much alike. It's like comparing table tennis and badminton. The outward forms of the games are similar but the way you play them isn't.

You're exactly right. I said this poo poo a few pages back, but Dominion is a genre-defining game, and Puzzle Strike is also in that genre. Super Turbo is a genre-defining game and every fighting game that comes out after ST is not necessarily "95% the same" even though they likely share incredibly similar basic gameplay. Puzzle Strike does its best to differentiate itself, it even has a different win condition than Dominion. That, along with character chips, make it an incredibly different experience than Dominion.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

The 100 Mega Shock posted:

(Most noticably, in the middle of Guile's crouching Fierce, the shading on his pants completely vanishes. Along with characters' proportions and anatomy changing from frame to frame)

To be fair I don't think any of Udon's talentless "artists" know the first thing about human anatomy.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
For those who haven't gotten the TTT2 prologue yet, LUYG did an episode on new Tag mechanics.

Suben posted:

BR4 was, by all accounts, such a massive piece of poo poo that it basically killed off the series. Funny enough, it was developed by Eighting. They were actually planning on making a new game but then Hudson's U.S. branch closed down and that ended that.

I've looked around online and read people's reviews. Like you said, the made such a horrible release that even the Japanese build still had debugging, meaning that they didn't even make a proper release build for the game. Mocaps, models and voices were reused to save budget and everything was broken.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur
Do we have a KoF thread? Do we need one? Man oh man, I have been playing some KoF XIII.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Spaceship Zero posted:

Do we have a KoF thread? Do we need one? Man oh man, I have been playing some KoF XIII.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3419345

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Fishmonkey posted:

Darkstalkers was always the experimental franchise where Capcom tried out crazy ideas before bringing it over to the Street Fighter games (ie. new art style, regenerating health, EX moves, fatalities, etc). Hopefully, Capcom continues this tradition and gives us a completely batshit sequel.

No please no. Do not let capcom add any more lovely elements to their fighting games.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
What the gently caress. How did I get banned from synirc? Gave me a message about spambots not being wanted and I can't get back on. How do I go about correcting this? :(

Dragas
Apr 21, 2010

something something polish lithuania commonwealth will rise from the ashes

Zexerous posted:

What the gently caress. How did I get banned from synirc? Gave me a message about spambots not being wanted and I can't get back on. How do I go about correcting this? :(

Wait until somebody with power decides to unban you and me and pretty much everybody else!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Zexerous posted:

http://twitter.com/#!/synirc

tl;dr someone with access to spam filters hosed up. They're working on getting everyone unbanned.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
Ok good, so then it just wasn't me then. Whew.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Tekken Tag 2 looks pretty sweet and it's also less ridiculous fan servicey than the new Soul Calibur.

Is Tekken/Soul Calibur like the newbie stepchild in the fighting game genre, because the moves are a lot easier to grasp and I don't feel as dumb as when I demo'd Street Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Tekken Tag 2 looks pretty sweet and it's also less ridiculous fan servicey than the new Soul Calibur.

Is Tekken/Soul Calibur like the newbie stepchild in the fighting game genre, because the moves are a lot easier to grasp and I don't feel as dumb as when I demo'd Street Fighter.

Tekken is not but Soul Calibur is (sorry SC fans).

• Locked thread