Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus!
Sep 24, 2007

Cinroth posted:

Received my Qanba Q4RAF from gremlinsolutions today and the stick owns and is rad as heck and everyone should own one because it owns.

How much was the shipping to sweden? Cheer's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus!
Sep 24, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

DotA, HoN, LoL and TF2. So they are all into high skill games

Find the 2 things wrong with this statement :allears:

Cactus!
Sep 24, 2007

tranceMD posted:

All that really matters in terms of any given competitive avenue's potential advancement is its potential for profitability. If a fighting game can hold a certain number of spectator eyes, it will be exploited for profit. The big Starcraft scene in Korea where games are televised and guys play professionally and the entire thing plays out similarly to how your average professional sport might, that happened because companies were willing to mine the game's audience for money. And yes, it is the audience that ultimately matters. Professional competitions on a base level exist because people want to watch.

To use a small but relevant example, a potential sponsor isn't going to pay to advertise their product on a stream because Justin Wong is playing Game X; they're going to pay because people are watching Justin Wong play Game X. You might try saying that these things are the same, but they are not. Justin Wong is easily replaced in this example. The audience is static and irreplaceable. It must exist to allow for commercial viability.

To single out people like Scoots or some commentator at Dreamhack is to miss the point. People equate to money, so where the people go, the business will follow. If the scene continues to grow in its popularity, it will steadily become more professional and more people like Scoots will begin to come around, i.e., they will be unable to ignore the potential for profit. And the level of play will absolutely rise as professionalism increases. There will be talented players who are willing to spend All drat Day practicing, and they will be given the opportunity to do so by that increase in cash flow. The level of play will rise, and you would ultimately see something similar to what exists in Starcraft now.

Is Daigo 100 times more likely to be randomed out of a tournament tomorrow than a top SC player? Yes, because the competitive structure is very different. This would eventually change in a more professional environment. Match structure would favor extended sets, something like a FT10, which would more closely align with the amount of time SC matches play out over. To compensate for this, many more filters for the competitors themselves would be put in place. You wouldn't have hundreds of guys signing up for the main event at Evo, you'd have to hundreds of guys trying to work their way through the qualification system for the opportunity to be among the few participating in the main event at Evo. These are all changes one might not like or appreciate, but it's an inevitability if things continue to progress. But who knows if they will or not, idk.

Let me read all of these words... NOT lol

Whats the scoop on 2012 for PC? Any new info out there?? Holla at me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread