Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Ashenai posted:

SF2 is actually one of my favorite 2D fighters, graphics-wise, despite it being really ugly by modern standards.

But... SF2 isn't ugly. Unless your definition of ugly is "how big is the resolution" and not something that actually has to do with aesthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

inthesto posted:

The what mentality?

Cash Rules Everything Around Me. Get the money.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Brosnan posted:

If they make a new Darkstalkers on the SF4 engine I'll be really, really sad.

They probably wouldn't, just because it's a game made by Capcom doesn't mean it'll use the same engine and feel the same. MvC3 feels and looks totally different and it was also made by a different team.

That's not to say it'll necessarily be good or done right. Just... not SF4.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Alright, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to set it back to dpad the next time I play.

On the plus side, it means I'm getting slightly less poo poo at the very basics of fighting games.

That and figuring out EX Machine Gun Blow kicks rear end are the high points of the session. (Yes, I am that bad.)

Since you say you are a very beginning person I feel it might be a good idea to make sure you know that using EX Machine Gun Blow randomly outside of combos will generally not end well against smart opponents; it has no special kind of invincibility and if the opponent blocks it they can punish you for it. In combos though? Yes it is a very awesome move. You can follow up with all kinds of junk, especially in the corner.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Ryaomon posted:

So I take it you haven't seen Kinuko's other artwork before?

Isn't the art primarily styled after o_8/Alex Ahad's work? Kinuko has a fairly similar style but it's not the same guy (and I don't think I've ever seen Ahad post some of the kind of stuff Kinuko does that you're referring to).

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He's talking about the game itself, which has excellent animation.

http://art-eater.com/2010/07/test-1-darkstalkers/

I think he meant My Little Pony. That American Darkstalkers cartoon came out waaaay before Flash was in vogue. Did it even exist then?

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Schmendrick posted:

Bitter lately? Viscant figured out how to use a character a lot of people scoffed due to her health. You can't hate the guy for that. You might as well hate guys like Daigo, Wong, and Chris G (Chris G probably deserves more hate for exploiting Reptile's bug in MK9 even if MK9 is a bug-infested piece of crap*).

*I just can't forgive NRS for bugs like the Reptile exploit and the Cyrax bug while guys like Kenshi and Freddy still have exploitable bugs.

He meant "if the thing that came before this statement is true, then that means this thing [the thing you quoted] would be true and valid." There was stuff before that line.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Roguelike posted:

I don't know much about fighting game mechanics. What makes the loop detection system better than the gravity or hit deterioration systems?

Hitstun decay hasn't stopped infinites from happening with 100% certainty in MvC3 (I think there's been at least somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 or 7 infinites found over the course of MvC3's lifespan), and it also stops things from working that aren't infinites. You also aren't 100% sure WHY some things don't work. Loop detection just stops loops, period, and doesn't stop things that aren't loops. Also, it's easy to tell why you got stopped, the reason being "stop trying to loop." Intuitive, and cuts out the problem without any unintentional casualties in combo creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Lhet posted:

Yeah, I understand that, but sometimes there are cases where a lower tier character just deals considerably less damage than similar characters without gaining any tools to justify it. MvC3's Shuma-Gorath kinda felt that way to me and it was annoying.

Shuma in MvC3 actually does poo poo-tons of damage. He just lacks so many options that he still sucks in spite of that.

• Locked thread