Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One thing I think MvC3 got right was the VA - there's a lot of it, including lots of situation-specific stuff, and it's all pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

S-U-P-E-R posted:

Did any of y'all get MK HD Kollection? I heard the netplay is rear end and kinda wanted a confirm/deny on that.

New MK thread here. I haven't bought the collection for myself but everyone who has says it's complete garbage.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, east vs west coast: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/vf-tv-live

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Random trivia: Raizing/8ing, the devs responsible for MvC3 and TvC, are also responsible for the Bloody Roar games, as well as that god-awful Castlevania fighting game for Wii.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Quoting from a couple pages back but whatever:

Fayk posted:

It's a little more complicated than that - I bet their designers are more competent (but not ideal) than you give them credit for...the problem is they are trying to serve two masters. They are trying to give the game enough depth to appeal to 'serious' players, while also trying to serve the market/martketing, et cetera. I doubt they think things like comeback mechanics are ideal, except they know it's needed for the game to be successful.

They aren't trying to make the best game. They're trying to make the best commercially-viable game.

Dumbing down the core game for the sake of a player group that lacks the skill or the inclination to grasp or even notice basic FG mechanics is short-sighted and completely counterproductive, and I don't understand why Capcom thinks it's the best way forward. Bad or inexperienced players are going to continue to use "brokenness" or "imbalance" as a mental crutch every time they lose, regardless of whether it's true or not, so rather than making some futile attempt to bring the game down to their level they should just pack them with shiny trinkets and gimmicks and fanservice that allow people to enjoy the game on multiple levels even if they never improve as a player - elements that are almost completely independent from the way the games actually play.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dumbing down their systems isn't really playing a part in their current success, though - MvC3 didn't sell 2.5m copies because of magic pixels and xfactor, it sold because it's fast and flashy and lets you pit Wolverine against Wesker and because Deadpool yells WELCOME TO DIE and because there's a kickin' rad remix of the Bionic Commando theme. It could have played exactly like MvC2 and it wouldn't have mattered to the majority of the customer base, so why gently caress with it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zand posted:

Capcom doesnt give a poo poo and it is plainly obvious that you are confusing what you WANT their goal to be with what their goal actually is. Their goal is not to create a fantasticly balanced, competitive game that will survive for ages. Their goal is to create a game that will last until the next game comes out, that will not have staying power so that more games will sell. This is why UMVC3 is coming out 9 months after MVC3, and why rapid-fire revisions of SF4 are occurring. Capcom stands to gain nothing from supporting and balancing a game that has no microtransactions, they only stand to lose money by increasing the longevity of a single game (because people will be less inclined to buy a new game if their old games are still getting hella play). Capcom is a company and they want to make money. They are not noble game designers out there to make competitively viable games for the community to play. They want to hire Dimps to create Capcom branded content so they can get money

What I am saying is that the factors that encourage most people to buy a big mainstream FG like SF, MvC or MK are usually ancillary to the actual fighting, so loving with the systems is not only the least effective thing they can do to further the promotion of the game to casuals or non-FG guys but it will eventually have a net negative effect across all FGs in general (like the kind that SFxTK is bringing on).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Van Ishikawa posted:

I don't agree that the Player Entitlement issues have any bearing of game complexity. We're in an era of gaming where lots of people have ways to make their voice heard, games are meant to be beaten, you get validation of you sweet skillz from the game itself just for playing it through achievements, and designers are more open to feedback than ever as more and more games deliver patches and updates to fix imbalances. When a player encounters a problem, if its in his disposition to do so, he will whine about it and blame the game for why he can't do something. Being difficult to approach doesn't fix this in any way, there is no magical point where a player concedes that the game they spent $50 on is not for them. "I paid for it, I should be able to play it!"

See, this is where I think a game like the new MK absolutely, unequivocally got things right. All the single-player content - the story mode, the challenge tower, the massive crypt full of unlockables - will keep a lot of players hooked for a substantial amount of time and make them feel as if they've achieved something when they're done, even if they never manage to win a fight against another human being, yet it's not totally divorced from the core game (or as expensive/time-intensive to produce) like those stupid Tekken beat-em-up modes or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zand posted:

Well bloody roar is that kind of fighting game and theres a new one coming out.

That was a hoax.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Skullgirls will be lucky if it manages to sell a fifth of the amount of copies as SF or MvC or whatever - it's a digital-only game, it's an original IP by an indie team, the art style is divisive, it's already cultivating a reputation as a niche hardcore game, and there's no single-player fluff - but I don't think that was ever the point.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What I meant was, there's nothing to grind for and no other meta crap thrown in for people to "beat" without ever actually learning anything.

RE: the tutorial, I don't doubt that it's gonna be deep and informative and easy to grasp, but perception is everything, so the sort of people who'd buy Marvel or MK on a whim aren't gonna buy Skullgirls because so much of the pre-release hype is about how it plays and how the systems work, so they're just gonna assume it's unapproachable and not even bother with it. You see the same thing with GG or VF or even MvC2 - people who haven't even played the games decide they're ridiculously complex or broken or whatever and eventually the echo chamber becomes impenetrable and scares everyone off.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gamest Mook posted:

The MK9 tournament scene has not struggled at all, its attendances at majors relative to the attendances for other games have been increasing since Evo, where it already made a strong showing (500 people, most popular game after AE and MvC3). Why do people think this? Just because it isn't on streams?

Most of the big-name SF/Marvel players aren't playing or aren't placing, so people assume it's dead.

Boxman posted:

If you had asked me, I would have thought it was struggling just because of that one random Avoid the Puddle contest where they basically bitched about the tournament scene for an hour or so. Obviously not scientific or anything, but if you're not really involved in one of the major scenes, it's hard to get a bead on these things. Of course, I probably wouldn't volunteer information about the scene. :shobon:

That was the one with Aris crying over the top of Hector Sanchez, and Tom Brady being Tom Brady, right?

Schmendrick posted:

To be fair, MK9 had some really broken, stupid stuff going on like the Reptile force ball bug, Cyrax's outfit bug, or the unfixed Kenshi block bug; complaints weren't just balance issues like the twins or Fei Long owning everyone. Character balance is another thing with guys like Yun and the MK DLC guys being stupid good (Specifically Rain, Freddy, and Kenshi due to his block glitch).

From what I gather the main reason this stuff takes forever to get addressed is that WB makes them stagger the patches so that they contain a similar number of fixes each time, and because they don't want to release patches until they've recouped the costs for the last one, so as sales slow down patches are fewer and farther between. That doesn't change the fact that some of that stuff should have been caught long before release, but whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Isn't the ubiquity of MLP entirely due to obsessed internet dorks? Hasbro or whoever is hardly gonna wanna get them offside by cancelling their little project

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a DOA scene of some description, I remember Tom Brady crying about it for 45 minutes on some MK-related podcast.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Waitwaitwait... the fuckers got Samus in that skanky game? gently caress team ninja, gently caress them to hell.

She's not playable - there's a Norfair/Ridley-themed stage, and if you blow on the mic when playing on that stage Samus will jump out and kill everyone with a power bomb.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

whip posted:

Did they do any fighting games at all after they dropped Tekken?

They did some MK-related stuff, including an online-only tournament with KOTH rules and a ridiculous pot (like $12k or something, from memory).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Capcom's releasing a retail collection of eight XBLA games - SF2HDR's on there, Puzzle Fighter's on there, Final Fight: Double Impact and Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 are on there, some other lame stuff's on there too. $40, releases in "spring". Decent deal for anyone who hasn't got HDR, I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Broken Loose posted:

100 bucks Paypal, and Toxx. Bring it.

What the hell would you even toxx? How are you gonna define "success"?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why don't you just start your own thing? Y'know, something with less steampunk?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Waterbed posted:

Find some artists willing to make a fighting game and I'll be glad to. That's without a doubt the single biggest roadblock in indie fighting game development.

Is it because it's generally difficult to find people who'll stick it through to the end of a project, or is there something specific to fighting games that artists struggle with? Do these issues extend to polygonal stuff as well as spritework?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

redmercer posted:

I did find it interesting that the guy who designed Virtua Fighter wouldn't let anyone code a move they couldn't physically do.

I'm sure you're referring to Yu Suzuki, but the lead designer on the first VF was a guy called Seiichi Ishii who then went on to direct/design the first two Tekken games, and then Tobia and Ergheiz for Square. I don't think he was too worried by realism.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is Shaq-Fu not enough for you?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Roguelike posted:

Does MK9 still have a community? I haven't seen a stream of it in months, and the last I heard about it was Arturo appearing on some podcast explaining why it was almost dead.

It still draws reasonably large numbers, there just isn't a lot of crossover between players of the Capcom stuff and MK, and if you're not actively watching the MK scene boards you probably won't hear about a lot of the big events/streams.

The MK scene is like 40% 3D FG guys (including crap like SC and DOA, and the people who actually took the 3D MK games seriously), 40% casual MK fans who act like Smash fans and complain about being expected to share events with CRAPCOM games or whatever, and the rest are old-school dudes who've been playing UMK3 for twenty years, or newcomers who don't suck.

MK's getting a re-release in a few months with all the DLC on the disc, I guess that's reason enough to bring it back (as long as they patch that poo poo).

EDIT: re: Skullgirls, that poo poo was never gonna make it without a solid release date.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wayne Brady and Michael Cera, believe it comrades.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's also DD-exclusive, and is 2D (and "anime" [no this isn't a thing I think]), and all the characters are women, and the roster is small, and there's no epic story mode or create-a-character, but this game doesn't need to sell three million copies to be a "success" - if it's good and it's picked up by all the big tournament/streams then it'll sell well enough to ensure we'll get another one, and it'll make other smaller/indie devs take notice. That's enough.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Every page. Every loving page. Someone make a SG thread already.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They got the Guilty Gear license back so they should make a new GG and forget BB ever happened.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently his dad just died or something, so at least he has a reasonable excuse for being a weirdo for a change.

Anyway, crossposting from the MK thread: MK Komplete Edition just got officially announced - nothing new, just a re-release with all the DLC on the disc. Comes out March 3. If you were waiting for an excuse to pick it up then you just got one, I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Waterbed posted:

So I have a completely off the wall question that sounds really general discussion-y but I'm actually kind of interested in hearing this from people I don't know:

What kind of fighting game would you make if you had the chance? General aesthetics and design wise.

If I wanted to make money I'd make a Smash clone with characters, items and locales from indie games, and release it for every digital platform known to man. I guess one big system change would be to add non-playable assists a la MvC, but really, you could pretty much just lift most of Smash's poo poo wholesale and it'd make for a fun, accessible, easily marketable game (provided you don't spent the pre-release period talking about how winning is for losers or whatever).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Chimney Sweeps Week posted:

This exists and its development is something of a Zybournian mess

In my dream scenario it'd be made by credible, reputable, serious devs, obviously.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That was War Gods, I think, and it wasn't Evo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One of the 3D MK games had a similar thing that'd let you commit suicide if you typed in the right code before the other guy performed a fatality. It was also really broken/glitchy in true MK fashion and would lead to some really bizarre scenes (that I can't link to right now but I'm sure it's all on youtube).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does anyone know anything about the Hinokakera games? I've been reading up on 'em a little and they seem like they might be kinda neat.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They said they have other FGs to announce soon, too - my guess is they mean SC5, maybe SFxT but I don't think so.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AXE COP posted:

What if it's Skullgirls though??

Don't they basically only deal with games/publishers that are willing to throw loads of cash at them?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Filthierich is still tight with some of the MLG guys, which is why I think it'll be SC5 (or TTT2 if they're smart [they're not]). It won't be a Capcom game, I don't think Atlus could afford to put KOF up there, and Sega are completely incompetent and won't get VF5FS featured anywhere. I guess there's always that Sony Smash game?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Jackie Chan: Fists of Fire please.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
WB has been chummy with MLG for a while now yet they've never tried to pull any MK footage. Could Atlus/SNK/whoever really be so stupid as to pull something like that? (of course SNK could)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

uncleKitchener posted:

Didn't someone make a comment about AM2 being extreme purists? If they were actually okay with doing crossovers, they would've already made a VFXTekken crossover years ago.

Yu Suzuki is, yeah, but he doesn't really have anything to do with VF/AM2 anymore.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5kToQR4GY

Some new info on the VF5FS port, including confirmation of online lobbies.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some more info on VF5 from Andriasang (click). Eight-player lobbies, replay uploads/saving, voice chat. The new single-player mode is called "License Challenge" - no info there, but I'm guessing it's more of a Tekken-style quick match thing than the usual VF quest-style mode, and that all the dressup items will be DLC.

• Locked thread