Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

For 'Coming Soon' you might wanna add Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

dj_de posted:

Where's Arcana Heart 3????
Where's Chaos Code????
Mortal Kombat too!!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

KOF13 really stands out to me as a good example of a modern 2D sprite-based fighter. That game looks fantastic in person.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I actually thought one thing that MVC3 got really right was the graphics/presentation. The game looks a lot better than SF4.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cinroth posted:

The fact that pretty much everyone is voiced by their original voice actors (if they have appeared elsewhere with voices) is really cool.

Can't wait to hear Daniel Southworth as Vergil again after all these years, he's so dreamy :allears:
I'm just curious if Phoenix is gonna be voiced by the guy who did his 3 or 4 grainy-rear end voice clips from like 5 years ago

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Q4 is less expensive and is pretty much the exact same product, Chinese supremacy

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I kinda wish the Personas weren't bound to certain characters... It would be cool if it worked like Arcana in AH, where you chose before the fight and got different character properties/options based on your choice!!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gamest Mook posted:

I'm really tired of Japan's attempts to half-rear end some kind of assist system. MvC2 already did it perfectly and it's tired as gently caress by now. I don't think Jojo's would have been improved by this feature.
I wasn't thinking of stands/assists/whatever. Arcana in AH don't really assist you in combat like stands in JoJo's or assists in Marvel - they usually change certain character properties and what 'ultra' they can do.

Also, from that Destructoid article:

quote:

People didn't start using Wang or whatever his name is in SSFIV until come dude got to the finals with him.

You know, the kickboxer guy from Alpha. Wang.

Seriously can't remember his name. Get over it.

But yeah. Totally agree with this article. This year's EVO supports it too. I think. No tier told you Daigo would get perfected.
:negative:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

chumbler posted:

What the gently caress is x-copying? Is it just more dumb fighting game terminology because "copying" isn't good enough?
It's just a joke based on one of Twelve's supers from 3S (X.C.O.P.Y)... lighten up dude

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I got my Q4RAF from Gremlin, got it literally the day after it arrived in their offices!! I'm not sure if they're still doing the free gift promo, but I got a bonus plexi with mine for free.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

No, that is honestly one of the worst arcade sticks of this generation

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

How do you go from a design like Peacock to that :(

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Does anyone still have the .zip with all the CVS2 announcer voice clips?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yeah, the super at 1:18 looks fantastic

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

No, B15 put that together just the other day iirc

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

And Ryu's mule kick

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What's about the cheapest you can get a good arcade stick at anyway?
It's not like there's a guide in the OP or anything

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Rascar posted:

Heh, they misspelled Balrog's name.
I'm more concerned about whatever it is that Sagat is doing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Constellation I posted:

Don't read the comments, obviously.
gently caress you for saying this because then I went and read all the comments

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Schmendrick posted:

Because when AE was hitting consoles, they added a digital release. You'd think Capcom would do the same to UMvC3, but they love money.
Capcom added DLC for the original SSF4 disc and a new disc with AE's DLC on-disc. There is no outright digital copy of AE for consoles. Not to mention AE was four characters + balance patching and nothing else. UMVC3 is adding a lot more than that.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311729

Ahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

Do character bans in fighting games usually involve some kind of council voting or something?
No, because most fighting games do not have a ruleset much longer than 'play 2/3 matches on default settings, dont pause poo poo or use turbo on your controllers'.

Conventional FGs usually only ban unlockable bosses (Omega Rugal, Akuma, Gill), who are blatantly not meant for competitive play. I can't really think of a conventional fighter where a main roster character has been banned.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Petshop, right? Is he outright banned? I thought he was like O. Sagat.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

SpaceBees posted:

Its OK, its nice of you to step out of a tournament where you would mercilessly body everyone. :)
I'm pretty sure Pol went 0-2 in the last ST tournament iirc

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Konstantin posted:

GGPO is great, sure, but that isn't my point. Let me use an analogy here. My car isn't designed to go off-road. I could spend a ton of effort and money to modify it to improve it's off-road capability. However, no matter how good those modifications are, my car still wouldn't have anywhere near the performance of a purpose built off-road vehicle.

Adding online capability to these games is like adding off-road capability to a car. If you start with the idea that you are designing an online game, you'll get a better result. If you try and add it in later, no matter how good you are, you'll get an inferior result because you are dealing with the limitations of the original design.
Car analogies nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't go there man!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The combo where he uses the other player's Dhalsim to keep his combos going is just :stare:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I won a competition and now I get to play Strekken, UMVC3, TTT2 Arcade and Tekken Hybrid this weekend :D

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

After about 20 years, finally someone puts a proper tutorial in a fighting game.
Blazblue had an hour+ tutorial

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

- 'Ken will have a new move in SSF4'
- 'SSF4 walkspeeds will be the same as those in ST'
- 'MVC3 will have an epic story mode'
- 'MVC3 will be supported after launch with many balance patches'
- 'We meant for Sentinel to have 900,000 HP all along'
- 'There are no comeback mechanics or gimmicks in SFxT'

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

e: woops wrong thread

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Unrelated, but does anyone have the alt.games post where Seth Killian talks about how much he hates gimmick systems?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sentinel health nerf was a knee-jerk reaction to the week 1 Sentinel hate, nothing more.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I have been a part of three different FG clubs in my time as a player and all of them have been ended up just being referred to as 'Fight Club/Night'. It's a somewhat cliché name but it instantly conveys what the group is about and it's a lot less awkward to say 'hey you going to fight club this week??' than some other contrived pun that will get old after a week.

And don't even bother with any fighting game subtitle or technique (Giant Attack, Second Impact, Guard Crush, Double Perfect, Option Select, etc.), literally every single one has been used already.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Having a switch while streaming so you have multiple Tvs hooked up normally 2-3 is enough, and having the commentators across the room from the people playing the stream match IS A REALLY GOOD THING, that more people should do. I'm pretty happy that one of the guys that sometimes streams locally does this it is pretty awesome.
Yeah I hate hearing people talking about my play right next to me, it tilts me pretty hard :mad:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Schmendrick posted:

So if someone wanted to main Yun in 3S, how much hate would he get compared to wanting to main Yun in AE (until 2012 hits, so it'll be cool to use Yun again)?
Just pick whoever you want, no one will hate you

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It's interesting that you bring up soccer players, because any kind of professional athlete will spend hours, days and weeks perfecting their execution when it comes to passing a ball, taking a shot, making a tackle or anything else.

Also worth noting is that 'grinding out muscle memory' does not directly translate into perfect combos an actual match. When you're under pressure and facing a thinking opponent who can defend and space himself, landing a 'difficult bnb' takes a lot of skill, timing and precision. People drop combos in high-level play all the time, as you can see by watching almost any match video from any tournament.

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 24, 2011

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Zand posted:

More like its only fun when one person knows something really fuckin stupid and hard to deal with and the other person doesnt, and the person with the broken poo poo is me
db+horizontal, vertical with Astaroth gave me the longest win streak I've ever had in any online fighter.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dizz posted:

Maybe they will finally say if the game is going to come to PC or not. I need to finalize my suicide notes with facts.
They confirmed a PC release months ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Yeah in euroland, but this game looks pretty absurd (which doesn't matter that much) and I read it leans more on long combos and other more advanced stuff. And how is the online?
Ghooost toooown

• Locked thread