Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
MK9 and MvC3 are the worst looking recent fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
This thread is full of salty posters, don't be so free, just download some tech and get hype

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Never even heard of Persona, guessing it's some kinda anime

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

Endorph posted:

JRPG series.

Ah gotcha, no wonder I've never heard of it.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Is Ono trollin' again?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

chumbler posted:

I just tried Yomi and found it surprisingly fun. Even if Sirlin himself is a bit of an rear end in a top hat or insufferable, he did make an amusing game. I assume there is probably a tier list, but I don't know how stratified it is. Valerie seems to be really good due to unrestricted combos, though.

Kongai didn't really do much for me the few times I tried it.

Yomi shouldn't have a tier list because Sirlin is so good that he can craft a completely balanced game

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

Gamest Mook posted:

Quakeworld has gotta be at least equivalent to the craziest fighting game (MvC2) in terms of "how far removed is this from the designer's vision".

Smash Bros

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Finger puzzle appreciation society

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I completely disagree, I'm asking that muscle memory be removed from the games because given two players I'd rather see the one with game-kowledge, reflexes, and strategy win over the guy who has the muscle memory to hit one frame links and FADC's.

Being able to learn to do something like FADC combos or hitting 1 frame links requires good reflexes initially, then it becomes embedded within muscle memory.

So basically your argument is you just hate people who are better than you or have had more practice and time with the game.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Pretty sure Fenn's ideal game is some sort of Pokemon for big boys.

Charizards only. No items. Final Destination.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

Shiki Dan posted:

That's why the Smash competitive scene still exists.

That's a humdinger

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

Soulcleaver posted:

Soul Blade was the only good game in the Soul series and I won't hear otherwise.

Finally someone knows what's up.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

AXE COP posted:

Sony are making their own Smash-style franchise fighting game with characters like Kratos and Sweet Tooth being featured in screenshots. Hopefully it turns out fun.

e: apparently it's called Title Fight?

Someone started a thread but its pretty dead already as there's not really much info.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451551

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I would re-draw all the sprites in SSF2T and then give everyone a fake fireball move to balance it.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

AXE COP posted:

People get really mad about story mode I guess.

So is Soul Blade the Street Fighter 1 of the Soul 'Calibur' series?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Is there still time to put -isms in SFxT?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I stopped reading when I got to "sidestepping sushi and incoming pandas"

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
no items, max of 27 ledge grabs, no level 3 supers, kratos hard-banned, mount olympus stage only

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

Goodpart posted:

Not me. I was one of the few optimists who then proceeded to play the game. I fought against the tide for a week or so, then just sighed and joined the chorus. I like to think my opinion has a bit more weight because I didn't blindly dismiss it.

I would disagree that it's easier to get into than other games: the learning curve is definitely not as steep, sure, but it will teach you NOTHING of value in the broader sense apart from how to whiff punish. AA is poo poo, so you can't AA. Punishing is moot because everyone uses safe moves anyway (donkey kick, Rolento's anything, etc). Zoning is pointless because of all the brainless anti-FB tech that's out there. I could go on forever. It merely provides the illusion of depth.

Not to mention all the things new players can use as a crutch to avoid actually learning the game (gems, auto-combos, and so on).

Other games can teach you universal skills quicker AND better.

As for the game itself, I was in the crowd at Shadowloo Showdown watching the best players in the world go at it. It was boring as poo poo. All the hype you heard from the crowd at the end was because people won lots of money in sidebets, and more universally, people were cheering because it was the last match of SFxT for the weekend. People were booing at the very mention of it. Tournament organisers were embarrassed to have to run it. It's just awful. It was a black hole of hype in an otherwise great day.

I watched the SFxT stream for a while and turned it off, can't remember who was commentating but they were trying to pump it up by saying that the crowd is getting hype now (someone accidentally coughed and then crickets were heard). AE stream later on was a blast to watch from beginning to end.

I really wanted to like SFxT but have gone back to playing SF4 again.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Blanka owns gently caress the haters, he is my favourite street fighter character apart from Deejay because the only thing cooler than an annoying up-close feral jungle fighter that eats bananas and shits lightning is a Jamaican dude who smokes fat blunts and has maracas, and honestly we all know Jamaicans are like that and they're cool dudes right?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Surprised Capcom didn't have a quick reskin of Cody's model as Croc Dundee hidden on the disc as DLC for a stereotypical Australian character.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

Brosnan posted:

A cool stick

I wanna put my grubby finger prints all over that and then complain that you left the start and select buttons boring

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I've been out of the loop for ages, do people who play fighting games still say dumb poo poo all the time like 'get godlike hype and download all that buttery pringle salt scrub'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I think I could get back into it if it were nothing but Jim Carey movie quotes.

• Locked thread