Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Down Right Fierce.

This isn't hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

40 OZ posted:

Guilty Gear, TVC, Castlevania Judgement (lol), KOF Orochi Saga....

Shamsho collection too.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Bovineicide posted:

There's two big strikes against that:

1. No blood.

2. No SSV Special.

If I remember correctly, they hosed up the controls on those ports too.

Still a fighting game (more than one actually!) on the Wii.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Brosnan posted:

Darkstalkers would look loving amazing done in KOFXIII sprite style. I really don't want to see another hideous SFIV variant.

Rotoscoped 3d models wouldn't look good for Darkstalkers at all.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

GG era Arc Sys animation would be fine.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

whip posted:

What happened with Spooky after his equipment was seized by Homeland Security?

What makes you think DHS ever returns anything they take?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I just found out how the infinite prevention system in Skullgirls works last night and that's the most elegant and brilliant thing basically ever and every combo based fighting game needs use this system, but there isn't anyway in hell that any Japanese company will pay attention to what some indy American developer has done in a fighting game even if it blows what they've been doing for ten years totally out of the water.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 18, 2011

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

flatluigi posted:

Tell us! I love smart mechanics.

It's super simple, Mike Z explained it this way.

When you start a chain of attacks with an attack, the game checks to see if you've already started a chain of attacks in that combo with that attack, if you have, the infinite protection kicks in and the combo becomes breakable.

This would apparently only take up around five lines of code by itself, but Mike added a bunch of exceptions to it so characters do combos players expect them to be able to do.

This system cannot be fooled or solved, doesn't (technically) require any designer input or add additional layers of variables with effects on game balance, and it's very obvious when the player is going to run into or trip the system.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

that's close, but not quite right. You can't start a section of a combo with a move you've already used at all in that combo. Nothing is remembered from the first ground section of your combo, and you can't trigger an infinite during your first jump.

That's the exceptions part. I wasn't clear on what those exceptions are, but I knew they existed.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah plus you can't start a section with ANY move that you've used before, not just any move that you've started a section with before.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. I'm tired and just going to let my mistake stand, I'm totally ok with looking like an idiot.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Are the bursts from infinite prevention bait-able and/or punishable?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I really wish the bursts could be baited and punished, as that would add another layer of mind games to offense and defense, but I understand why they might not be.

Anyway, the whole Hit Stun Scaling vs Loop Prevention thing. Most fighting games attempt to deny infinites from existing by effecting one of the variables that makes them work in the first place, namely histun. Skullgirls seeks to deny infinites by instead going after what infinites actually ARE, namely loops of attacks.

It's no surprise at all why Mike Zs system seems so much more intelligent and elegant than hit stun scaling, because it is, one system is a kludge against infinites and the other is simple outright prevention.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I have no idea why you think this is unique to a hitstun scaling system. This is going to happen in literally any game with difficulty in your combos. All Hitstun scaling is going to do is make the combo system more complicated, but again how is this a bad thing in any way?

It makes the game more complexe, and thus harder to balance, without having any real positive effect on a characters uniqueness, it requires more time and work out of the developer, and thus increases the cost to develop a game, and it isn't transparent to the players. It's also solvabe in the sense that it means given any situation there is always going to be a 100% best combo to do.

And, btw, on the whole loops are cool thing; Yes, loops are cool, but exceptions can be written into this system to provide characters with the ability to loop specific numbers of attacks without creating infinites, without any of the downsides that using a hitstun scaling system would bring.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

SC5, MK9, and SFxT over SG. I'm laughing my rear end off, but it's that sick nervous laughter of the soon to be mentally ill.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Marvel vs Capcom 3 series are honestly very good games. There are a few rather minor issues in the engine that need to be addressed somehow (lol upback), and the game balance isn't stellar, but it's also honestly not that bad, far better than mvc2 at the very least.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Maybe it's comming from guilty gear, but I just cannot stand the idea that you can passively invalidate mixup.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Electromax posted:

I thought BB's netcode was fairly accepted by the players as far as major releases go? Is it fairly likely GG will just use the same code?

It's about the best netcode that isn't ggpo for fighting games. This is still a pretty big gap however.

The biggest problem with online gg is going to be frc's for the characters that require them. Not everyone will mind you, but it's going to make characters like I-no even harder to play.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 18, 2012

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

uncleKitchener posted:

It's shouldn't be too hard playing Tager online, right?

There are a fair number of characters that will be playable, the real problem is going to come from playing AGAINST some of the other characters.

A delay isn't going to heavily effect your timing (or at all), but it can make hit confirms harder, and it can make dealing with mix-up harder as well.

And the idea of some of the mixups in guilty gear being HARDER to deal with is pretty drat scary.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Hell, I find it easier to do combos in GG than in BB, just to throw my 2c in. Outside of really obnoxious FRC timings, 4x clean hit sidewinder, and I-no.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mr. Fun posted:

I see people say "doujin fighters" sometimes, but I don't know what it means :blush:.

Anime games, specifically the ones based on japanese comic books. Their design is heavily influenced by guilty gear, but most of them don't really understand why guilty gear is the way it is so they just lump big piles of extra mechanics and bars all over the place.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Wow this is wrong on so many levels.

Why?

Because I didn't include the bit about them being indipendent japanese comic books? Or because most of them have gameplay informed by their various gimmick systems when guilty gears "gimmick" systems were put in place to inform the gameplay?

Would you like to argue about whether doujin games gimmicks are there to inform the gameplay in specific ways, or whether they are there to represent something in the doujin they are based on?

It is worth noting that I don't "hate" doujin games, A lot of the later games in some of these series are quite good.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ok, fair enough.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

40 OZ posted:

Also, I think it is disgusting that people are going after skisonic as a "snitch." In our little world, and as crazy as it sounds, skisonic is a journalist. That's what he is supposed to do. I say this as someone who doesn't really enjoy skisonic's shows or commentary all that much.

Pretty sure it's got more to do with the fact that getting in trouble for smoking pot is about the most petty childish poo poo ever.

Thus, if it's Skisonic's fault that Gootex got in trouble for smooking pot skisonic is a petty childish gently caress.

I don't like Gootex or smoke pot and this is really obvious to me.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Lets see if I can remember this.

6K 2K 2HS 236D long rear end delay 2D SS, jK j2K delay jK, S j.K j.2K j.K dj.S (1 hit) dj.2K dj.D dj.2K dj.D

Pretty sure that's right. I love you forever accent core Slayer.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

PalmTreeFun posted:

Speaking of Sol, what's the difference between Sol and Order Sol? I always played #Reload.

That's a really hard one to explain, but let me give it a try, Order Sol has far weaker normals, and requires a lot more meter management. He does however have a few interesting gimmicks, and charge cancels can make his pressure really really safe.

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong please.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hyung posted:

I recently saw my first match of the new persona fighting game. Seems to me that it's a sped up Blazblue which could mean it won't be as terrible to watch, but the game itself has weak flow. There's also the problem of that annoying bitch popping up on top corner of the screen yelling inane poo poo. I guess the only thing I have left to be excited for is the new guilty gear coming onto PSN.

The flow is about a thousand times better than blazblue if videos of the game in action are anything to go by. Attacks come close together without seemingly much need for timing or pauses for most characters, and overall combo length is pretty short for most characters as well.

The game is also far faster, far more unforgiving, has a greater emphasis on good meter management, and easier to play from an execution standpoint.

I simply cannot see how this game could be worse than BB. I have no clue if it's as good as GG, but it's a far simpler game anyway, so comparisons will be hard. And hell, what is better than GG anyway?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm not totally sure that Guilty Gear is a better game, tho it does have the better character designs. P4a does basically everything that guilty gear does, but in much clearer, and far more importantly, much more accessible fashion.

This doesn't mean I don't want to see more Guilty Gear tho.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Brosnan posted:

I don't really think assigning every mechanic you can think of to a random 2-button combination is any better or clearer than giving your characters moves that people can figure out how to use organically.

Are you implying that it makes things less clear?

Besides, all the "random" button combinations are far from being a big part of what makes the game so very very good.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Waterbed posted:

The game really needs an extra button because pressing some button combos is awkward and it allows them to give the characters a bit more variety in their play which IMO they need a bit of.

Oh, I agree here, but implying that using button combinations for seperate and clear actions would make the game "less clear" doesn't make a lick of drat sense.

Anyway, it's difficult to actually say the game IS better than guilty gear because while this game does a lot of things guilty gear does as well as guilty gear, while making them easier to do and understand, the status effects and personas make it a very different game anyway.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mio Bison posted:

I started writing this exact post when someone compared P4A to GG recently and abandoned it because I didn't want to look like I was trolling the new game but if people are gonna bring it up I'll gutlessly pile on. P4A is an alright game and it's kinda fun but this iteration feels very derpy/simple compared to Guilty or Melty, it's getting a free pass from people who know because people who don't know echo what they hear and nobody wants to kill an anime game that could have legs (fake edit: much like SF4 back in early 2009, it wasn't "cool" to hate on that game for at least a few months).

Just because a game is slightly simpler, and this is pretty arguable from any standpoint outside of execution difficulty, doesn't mean it's a worse game.

This game is basically guilty gear, but easier to play, something that arcsys tried with blazblue and failed on just about every level.

The game hits a lot of the same notes of (air dash fighter) fundamentals, safe offense, hit confirms, blockstring pressure, okizeme, and meter management that guilty gear does, all while being significantly easier to play, that's a hell of an accomplishment.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It costs 60 USD.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The art direction is just really really bad. It's not really possible to say anything else about this, cause we don't really know anything else.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Spencer, for Combofiend.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

FRC's being a little bit easier would be good for the game yes. But then again you could just remove them, give players a way to rc projectiles, and adjust the amount of meter players gain to compensate for the loss of the cheaper frc.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

I wouldn't say it's quite that simple. The big problem with removing FRCs and FBs is that there are a handful of characters who really relied on them. Now for someone like I-No, they could just change move properties to give her things in exchange, but for Order Sol, FRCs and Fafnir are a big part of his game. Fafnir gives HOS some much-needed range, especially for punishing stuff and getting a decent combo off of it without burning 50% meter and his charge gauge. FRCs are an even bigger part of his game, because it allows him to Action Charge and build his all-important charge gauge without eating punishes.

Now I very highly doubt that HOS is even going to be in Xrd, but if they were to put him in down the line one or two versions from now, they'd have to do some serious reworking of his entire gameplan to make him fit the restrictions of the system. And at that point you basically have a different character.

That's not saying I'm not excited for the game, it's probably gonna be great, but you can't just remove them and adjust meter gain to make up for it.

I should have added another bit in. It looks like you can RC anything at nearly anytime now. So with increased meter gain HOS wouldn't really have problems RCing his charges anyway.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Waterbed posted:

um zand dont you play may. easier than 3rd strike... cmon man that's just false.

Quite a lot of the things he said in this post are pretty retarded actually.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I don't even know where to begin so I'm not even going to bother. But dustloops were like, baby's first combo and May is pretty close to being one of the easiest characters to play in GG.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Haha I cannot even do slayers 6p frc anymore. Good thing he's one of those blessed characters who doesn't really need frcs.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Not sure if people saying Dustloop was easy ever played #R Sol or not. The timing was really loving tight to do proper full loops, and there were a bunch of different versions and setups you needed to learn for it. Far from the easiest combos in the game that's for sure.

Of course if you're talking about X2, Sol's dustloop were easy as poo poo to just crank out a few reps of and end with a knockdown. Those were really dumb, but so was most of X2.

I'm talking about #reload as that's the first GG game I played and learned to play. I actually figured out dustloops before actually looking online for anything about the game. Didn't seem that hard. But maybe I was doing something wrong, it was so long ago and my memory is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

heiden posted:

Execution is so much more difficult in ST than in GG. I can do most things in the latter game because of the lenient buffer but can't hit even hit the Blanka ToD poo poo consistently in ST. The highest level of ST stuff like that weird Ken jab-cancelling into super poo poo is completely beyond me, GG never had anything that difficult.

This doesn't mean GG couldn't benefit from being slightly easier to play.

Note: I didn't say a simpler game, just easier to play. Some people keep conflating these things and really need to stop.

• Locked thread