Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

That might be one of the greatest things this community has ever released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Yeah Itagaki was pretty much a douche. He's not involved anymore though I think.

I like DoA, but only single player as Bayman. Submission holds/chain throws on ninjas all day.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Zaa Boogie posted:

If you can't watch it you can just view it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlSCXidxy04

Oh man, that fist shake animation at the end is priceless. Shame it got delayed, but I guess that just leaves more time for KoF and UMvC3 then.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Troffen posted:

CS2E (1 new character and story mode poo poo) - 50 bucks

Yep the average BB fan will probably eat it up :sigh:

I need to look up a changelist then, I had forgotten about this admittedly even though I am a BB fan. I am that guy who likes playing FG story modes, so I'll enjoy that, but I don't think I'll be grabbing this day one like I did CT and CS.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I'll just keep hoping they improve Tager, even a little would be nice at this point. :sigh:

Doesn't ArcSys have the Guilty Gear rights again? They should do their own mashup game at some point and go crazy with it. Maybe just go full anime and do that crossover with Arcana Heart like they joked about.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

S-Alpha posted:

Among the aforementioned Voltic Charge counter leading to really great, totally meterless, damage, Tager's combo rate got increased across the board. More damage from every combo?

:stare: Voltic Charge counter? That's awesome. Looking at the whole change list for his combo damage has got me kind of excited for BBCSX.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

AXE COP posted:

What's with all the crossover characters recently? First Kratos, then Cole, now Soul Calibur V is getting Ezio as a star. If anyone cares.

I guess it's better than Yoda and Vader?

I'm more concerned that it's coming out so soon. I guess they really aren't going to put much effort into this one. Unsurprising I suppose.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Mason Dixon posted:

Given one of Daishi's earlier tweets mentioned something about publisher deadlines, and them being reasonably open to feedback during the various demos they've done to the international community so far, I don't think lack of effort will be the main cause if it turns out disappointing.

Fair enough. I can't help but be pessimistic though, and I love SC games.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I'm still really surprised they haven't announced a crossover fighter yet. They keep joking about it, and I think I would be pretty badass.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ZackHoagie posted:

Now that I think of it I'd love to see MB characters re-done to UN:IB's resolution and style.

Yeah, Blazblue quality Sion looks pretty drat cool. But they're done with MB now right?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Here's handcam footage of Ono's proof-of-concept/hype building video for a new Darkstalkers title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_skngJlTDg

drat that was nice. Lord Raptor looked cool as hell.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

uncleKitchener posted:

Also, I've been playing BB recently and I got to say that I'm not feeling Tager. His movement is awful, his backdash is average, his gimmicks tend to backfire on him half the time and he doesn't have any good anti-airs. His grabs are okay, but that tends to backfire on me simply because sometimes I tend to hold it down when I'm right in someone's face and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Don't do the 360A all the time (the one you can charge), just use 360B in those cases, it's immediate. It's not invincible like 360A is sometimes, so it's more of a punishing tool than anything. If you ever get a knock down, use Gadget Finger (22D) to get them back up then mix up afterwards with some of his faster normals, a command grab if you think they'll fall for it, an atomic collider if you think they'll try to jump out of the 360, or 3C for another knockdown to start the 22D again. If you really want to get tricky, you can start whiffing atomic collider mid combo to force the opponent to guess and possibly give you a reset.

Tager has a lot of damage on face value but folks stop falling for it quickly so you have to mix it up a lot. I'm not really the best Tager but I hope this helps.

Edit: if you're talking about using magnetism to pull people closer, 4D, atomic collider and jD is safer to try it with than just holding the command grab down.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Is there an input trick with some the trials in KoFXIII? I'm working my way through Leona's and I'm stuck on 5. It's HK d~uLP b~fLK super. I can do the two charges into super part, but getting the standing HK out after the downback charge time and before pressing up+LP is killing me.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

IIRC, isn't her c.HK 2 hit with the second hit cancelable? You should be able to do the HK and have enough charge time during it.

drat if that's true, charge times in this game are even faster than I thought they were. I'll try it out when I get off work, thanks.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

uncleKitchener posted:

What happened to Tager from earlier versions of the game and is he better in the most recent version in the arcades?

No version has outright nerfed him too badly, Extend actually made him better than he has been in previous versions. Of course other characters are still better than him by default, but you take you can get as an anime grappler. Next game he loses a bit of throw damage but gains new combo potential which is nice, even some air combos.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

S-Alpha posted:

I've been trying to get my local scene to play it, but it's pretty hard to fight through all the Marvel and 3S. At least we have people who I can play Chaos Code with. :toot:

Is Chaos Code worth it on PSN? I've got a small Aquapazza/MB group going now, but a little variety couldn't hurt.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

S-Alpha posted:

I think it's fun, but I only play Japanese airdash games, so I'm pretty much the exact target audience. Also, I'm extremely jealous that you've got a group that plays Melty, though. :smith:

If it makes you feel better, it's mostly Aquapazza at the moment. Occasionally BB, GG or AH get mixed in but that's rare. We're in Charlotte, NC where there's a pretty large tournament community, but most of the anime players are elsewhere in the state.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

sentrygun posted:

I'm getting tired of playing on pad and am thinking of picking up a stick, but I realized that my biggest complaint is accuracy and while a stick might be better than a pad, I figure I should go whole hog and grab a Hitbox. Assuming cost isn't a factor, is there any reason not to grab a Hitbox instead of just getting some Madcatz stick? I'd have to learn either one, so really the only thing I can think of is 'people might get mad at me in Tekken' and I don't exactly care about that.

Go with whatever feels better for you ultimately. I personally find that a stick is more versatile because I play lots of other types of games with it as well.

That said if you haven't tried a hitbox yet, you may want to find one to play with to see if you like it first. I tried to use one after coming from playing Street Fighter games with a keyboard and it just didn't work well for me.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

The Madcatz sticks are very good, work well with all games, and will be on sale during EVO. I've heard that the guys making Hitbox take a while to fulfill orders as well.

I haven't had a chance to play with a Hitbox myself- I'm curious as hell about them personally, but from what I've read online is that they take a long rear end time to get used to, especially when doing stuff like Zangief's Final/Ultimate Atomic Buster.

Honestly I'd buy a stick during EVO, get used to that, then grab a hitbox if you're still curious.

This summarizes everything I was thinking as well. If you've got the money to treat yourself, Eightarc might have a coupon up this year as well. I grabbed my Qanba this time last year and it's wonderful.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Ashenai posted:

Counterpoint: UUULTRAAAAA COOOMBOOOOO

That announcer is just so excited. EXTREME :black101:

Game looks pretty bad though, hopefully they'll tighten it up or playtesting reveals it to be an absolute blast. Unless they're rocking a full 90s aesthetic that kind of gameplay probably won't fly in 2013.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Long time developer Ken Lobb is taking on all challengers in KI on the Madcatz stream: http://www.twitch.tv/madcatz/

I have to admit, the game is like 1000% more watchable when someone who knows what they're doing is on the sticks.

It's a nasty game, but I love that announcer so much. He's so drat excited about every combo. Use him for the next Marvel please Capcom.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Broken Loose posted:

Who is going to CEO? I'm expecting Niddhogg, may contain peanuts, apple, Zerp, and sebmal. I'll be working the event and not competing, but it would be nice to know if there's a possibility for a goonsgarden section at Popeye's/the pool/Disney.

I don't hang out in goonsgarden much but I'll be there too if there's a goonmeet happening.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

kaujot posted:

I want a new Rival Schools game really bad. I had such a loving awesome time dicking around with Project Justice back in the day, even though I never seriously understood the game and the best way to play it.

I honestly want another Rival Schools before any other Capcom revivals. They don't even have to work that hard, RS and PJ weren't that well made anyways. As long as I can fight with sports players and camera ladies I am 100% okay with whatever else.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

kaujot posted:

Why is ESDF better than WASD?

Also lines you up with ASDF if you use it well, so moving to typing is quicker.

After playing with a stick and controller for a few years it's really really hard to go back to keyboards, even after learning how to play Gief and Clark with them. I still want to try a hitbox someday, but I just don't think my fingers work like that anymore.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

PrBacterio posted:

On that note, I've been meaning to pick up VF5 one of these days, seeing how DoA has traditionally been my favourite fighting game franchise and is generally considered to be a "Virtua Fighter Light" ... what IS a good starting character in VF?

Kage or Jean Kujo. Can't go wrong with either when you're starting out.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

exmus posted:

Have the q4s ever gone for a lower price? Not sure if I should purchase now with the $10 off or wait for this weekend to see if it goes even lower for evo. Or just try to buy used. So many choices.

I think I got my Q4RAF a little cheaper than that last year during EVO (I wanna say it was $20-25 off?), so I would hold out. It's a great stick regardless of what you spend for it though, so if you don't want to gamble go ahead and grab it.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

uncleKitchener posted:

and no, we had all forgotten about Maximum Impact.

I didn't. :smith: KoF2006 combos were hilariously fun, even in such a terrible game. The English voices just made it sweeter.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Pretty sure that female Paul and Ganryu are the only logical choices. You know, behind the salmon of course.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Arikado posted:

In that EVO build, you could counter breaker a breaker, and then have your combo broken again later in the same combo. Seems pretty stupid that the same combo can be broken multiple times. If I break your breaker, you should be locked out of breakers and eat an entire combo due to my counter breaker.

Breakers. Breaks. Broke. All of the combo breakers. :psyduck:

Apparently it's because of the way they were using auto-doubles or whatever, but that game still looks broken/lovely by design. Also there's the SFxT syndrome of TOO MUCH HEALTH. God I hate that trend, please go away. Having characters heal after combo breaks just makes it worse.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Ruddha posted:

you have to make your character do the move that looks most like bowing, wait 10 seconds before attacking, and you have to say god speed before attacking

Jedi Knight II for EVO 2015! Only honorable combat here!

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Can anyone with GGXXAC+R experience tell me how Kliff was made tournament legal? I really liked him in AC+ and might main him when +R comes out assuming there will be a decent amount of time between the last XX and Xrd.

They slowed Kliff and Justice down by increasing the recovery on a lot of their moves mostly. From what I've read Kliff is still pretty good but Justice got hit pretty hard.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is the idea of dating sims that they play through it once like a point and click adventure game? The Wikipedia page for dating sim just made me more confused.

If by play once you mean go hunting for every ending with every girl, then pretty much yeah.

That said as dumb as the cast is Aquapazza is fun as gently caress, definitely one of my favorite recent fighters.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Seashell Salesman posted:

Right, so it's not a sim like The Sims or a sports team management game or whatever where there are non-scripted events.

Depends on the game, but generally yeah. This isn't really the thread to talk about all that though. If you feel up to braving it, there's a thread in ADTRW I think for this kind of stuff.

Nativity In Black posted:

For actual fighting game content, is the only way to play Guilty Gear Online the multiplayer patch for X2 Reload on PC?

No GGPO?

You can play Accent Core+ on PSN or Xbox Live, but unless they patched it the online's pretty bad.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

jackofarcades posted:

I just meant that some guys get obsessed with the p4a characters because of they come from RPGs where part of the point is to form close relationships. Whatever, I like the games. Now we just need a Tales of... Fighting game.

There is Tales of VS but you should probably stay away from that.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Gutcruncher posted:

I just got Aquapazza and smashed buttons for a little bit. It seems like it should be pretty fun! Its got assist characters, a 'mood' system that rewards/penalizes depending on if youre offensive or overly defensive, and of course a clumsy maid schoolgirl robot.

drat, someone else with this game. If my PS3 hadn't just died I'd love to try playing online with you, I haven't actually given the netcode a try yet.

interrodactyl posted:

and it also doesn't have Chizuru...

I'm so blessed that in my small group of folks we've got playing this game, there is only 1 Chizuru player and he is terrible.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Wait how was Zappa the best character? I forget the last version I played, but I Zappa was my main noncompetitive character and I remember him being decidedly lowtier. Did they finally let him choose which ghost he summoned or something?

He means pre-patch. +R got a non-titled patch in January I think that tweaked the balance a bit, namely toning down Kliff and Zappa.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

S-Alpha posted:

Gutcruncher and Gwyrgyn Blood talking about how fun Aquapazza is finally got me to go over to Play-Asia to order it. But apparently they have it listed as getting a US release now?

I'm not sure just how bullshit that listing is, because I haven't heard of nor can I find any mention of a US release outside of that page.

Wouldn't count on it. A few of the menus are in English already anyways though, if that helps.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Munsun posted:

That is cool as gently caress if that is a tip of the hat to Panzer and Mike.

Probably unintentional since he works for the state of Zepp and is probably just in uniform, but I dig the design regardless. Looking forward to smashing folks with him again.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

theonlypie314SA posted:

From the P4A thread:

Here's the changes so far for the characters: http://shoryuken.com/2013/08/15/new...r-august-16-18/

Stunedge on twitter is updating more changes as they come: https://twitter.com/hc0519

Shadow Mode's temporary infinite meter use could be cool for some characters, though I'm not sure how much utility it would get over having a burst on hand. I wonder if there's any more balance differences between the two modes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I ran a Divekick set up at school here for a club promotion the whole afternoon and it worked out great! Folks had a good time and there was lots of laughing, even got some folks who wouldn't be interested in fighting games normally to join up. In 9 hours of gameplay already, I think I've gotten my $10 worth. That said I think the crowd hype dies fairly quickly for the game. Having seen the few animations so many times probably killed that off, but the line to keep playing the game never shrank.

apple posted:

Headshots followed by an inescapable death next round will become a common thing, but 5 rounds is still plenty of chances to realize what you're doing wrong.

That said, my biggest criticism is that all the characters who don't have a normal jump or kick but something else actually takes away from the core concept a little bit.

This is the story of my life as a guy who loves playing Jefailey, god drat this character is bad. Dealing with characters that can jump normally is often bad enough, having others like S. Kill around to gently caress with me can get really confusing.

• Locked thread