Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Gamest Mook posted:

I reuploaded the B3 video since whoever had it up before deleted it. Even if you don't have time to watch the whole thing the grand finals are worth watching.

Wow, thanks a ton for this. I've had the lovely WMV of this for a while and I had thought I lost it when I switched to my latest computer. Been waiting on someone to reupload it since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Cat Machine posted:

I actually thought one thing that MVC3 got really right was the graphics/presentation. The game looks a lot better than SF4.

While the game looks really good, I think one part of the presentation that's just all hosed up is the color schemes and how they interact. There are just too many times where you can't see things clearly or you can't tell things apart and it doesn't really help that the game moves pretty quickly.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Bovineicide posted:

Laugh's new stick was released on etokki.com. I'm not sure how I'd feel about blowing $200 on a stick when my execution is still way better on pad for most things. But it's a multiplatform stick without dual-modding, which is always cool.

If I was still in the market for a dual modded stick, I would totally buy the Sanwa version. It looks real solid and I like the design/aesthetics of it.

e:

Cat Machine posted:

Q4 is less expensive and is pretty much the exact same product, Chinese supremacy

The first time I used the Q4 it took me two matches to accidentally hit start. It's mostly because I'm not the most dexterous person, but it's still a huge reason for me personally not to get it.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 30, 2011

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Gamest Mook posted:

lol

The funny part is I'm pretty sure this is the dtoid writer who prides himself on actually understanding fighting games.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tUlnpSYteA

I think it's high time a Skullgirls thread was actually made, now that news about the game is rather regularly pouring in. Or would we rather keep things in here until a release date is announced?

This is probably the best/most interesting Skullgirls footage I've seen yet. I really liked the resets/pressure game the Parasoul player was running in the first round.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

Any goons going to Seasons Beatings? October 14-16 in Columbus Ohio.

I'm going again this year, and I'm bringing Skullgirls with me! This is possibly my single favorite tournament, so I recommend everyone who is able to come!

I'll be there. I was too busy at EVO to check out Skullgirls, but I'll definitely try to play it at SB if the wait isn't too bad.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I think someone posted about this earlier in the thread, but has anyone here gotten significant time with Laugh's Omni Stick? I want a really solid and sturdy pre-dual modded stick and I hate the design of the Qanba Q4, but I don't want to drop 200 dollars on something with shoddy construction/obvious design flaws.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Spaceship Zero posted:

okay okay okay, i see this all the time and i have no loving idea where it came from

even before they purchase a stick, guys are all, 'oh i'm sure i'll hate square gate, i need an octo gate like america an octo gate would be best, it's what i'm used to'

AMERICAN MACHINES HAVE ROUND GATES. I can't even name a machine offhand I've ever seen with an octagonal gate.

Octagonal is closer to round than square is.

But it does beg the question as to why they don't just buy circle gates. There's plenty of places to buy those now.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Circle gates suck if the stick is not 100% nailed to the ground.

Well if you're really trying to replicate the feel of playing on an American arcade machine you should probably also play with your stick on the floor/another chair anyway.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Spooky's full account is available here. Doesn't seem too sketchy to me.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I'll be there.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Bebopaloobop posted:

The only bad thing you can say about Devastation was the format of several mini-tournaments with 1st and 2nd going to the main tournament and resetting their losses, which has nothing to do with how the stream station was setup.

Nope. Devastation had a ton of problems.

It didn't have a very large and diverse playerbase (probably because a lot of people didn't want to travel to Arizona the week before SB), all the tournaments ran really late/slowly, things were generally disorganized, the people running pools failed to get interesting marquee matchups for the stream a lot of the time and (from what I've heard) they rented a venue far too large for the amount of people they actually got.

e: And honestly, as much as Devastation had higher stream quality/production values/more of a focus on streaming or w/e, I don't think a single person (at the tournament or at home watching the stream) would say Devastation was even close to as enjoyable as Season's Beating's this year.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 22, 2011

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Waterbed posted:

From a pure objective standpoint: I would argue that while I hate the crap out of BlazBlue's characters, the move choices etc, from a pure gameplay perspective, it is better than Darkstalkers in every single department but "woah, that's novel". I am a total animation nerd here too. I love Darkstalkers animation a whole lot, but ArcSystems is entirely capable of replicating the style, doing it equally well, and saying otherwise is totally false. However, in their own games, they choose to do something different.

I don't know if I'm reading this correctly because the prose is pretty weird, but are you saying the gameplay of BlazBlue is far better objectively than Darkstalkers? That's not true at all.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Wezlar posted:

I just don't understand why so many people passionately want Justin Wong to get paid to play videogames instead of just worrying about having tournaments to attend and games to play?

Honestly, I don't think anyone actually cares about this poo poo except the sponsors, and sponsors just care because they want to make more money off of pros like JWong. SirScoots is a huge douchebag and he's not warming up to the FGC recently because he saw the light or something, the dude just wants to monetize it.

e: I'm not even someone who's heavily against capitalism within the FGC, but if you're gonna do it stop being a disingenuous gently caress about it.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 5, 2011

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Roguelike posted:

Also Skisonic commentated some and he is basically a less knowledgeable version of James Chen.

Skisonic is way more knowledgeable than James Chen on the basis that Skisonic doesn't just make things up that are entirely incorrect (he actually asks the audience for info and checks on twitter for stuff he doesn't know about, which is neat).

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

PonchAxis posted:

Yeah they've tried this already and they used DOA and Virtua Fighter, followed by Tekken 6. And I think Brawl was a MLG game but honestly I have no idea.

Melee and Brawl

(they both only lasted for the '06 and '10 seasons, respectively.)

e: wait I remembered wrong and Melee started in 04 and went through 06.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

tranceMD posted:

Is Daigo 100 times more likely to be randomed out of a tournament tomorrow than a top SC player? Yes, because the competitive structure is very different. This would eventually change in a more professional environment. Match structure would favor extended sets, something like a FT10, which would more closely align with the amount of time SC matches play out over. To compensate for this, many more filters for the competitors themselves would be put in place. You wouldn't have hundreds of guys signing up for the main event at Evo, you'd have to hundreds of guys trying to work their way through the qualification system for the opportunity to be among the few participating in the main event at Evo. These are all changes one might not like or appreciate, but it's an inevitability if things continue to progress. But who knows if they will or not, idk.

Yeah basically no one wants the tournament structure to progress like this and it's one of the main reasons people reject capitalism in the FGC. The top players in the FGC are pretty drat accessible as far as top players in a competitive game go, and people don't want to see that change.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Anyone wanna take a screenshot of the default control setup for a 360 TE? I can't make heads or tails of this button config.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

It's pretty similar to Guilty Gear.

Mizuumi has a basic arcade setup.

Er... I meant the actual button config in the game. I know it's supposed to be A B C | D E, but I can't figure out the configuration menu.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

sleeps-chan posted:

is this what you need?

that's when the stick is set to LS

Thanks. The separate confirm/cancel buttons confused the hell out of me.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

This might have been answered somewhere already but is there a minimum damage scaling % in SG? If not, what's the average character health number?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

rivals posted:

Yeah, that kid's been a top kof player for years now as I understand. He's one of the only foreigners to win SBO, IIRC. And yes, that's the same kid who just won the China tournament.

I'm pretty sure he's the singular only non-JP player to win at SBO. Unless I've been misinformed.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Gamest Mook posted:

I think Koreans have won Tekken before?

Ah yeah, Wikipedia tells me Nin won Tekken in 05

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Isn't Tom Brady still actually homeless too? I know til pretty recently he was living with PerfectLegend, who kicked him out and then he was living with another MK player in like Virginia.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Dias posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9Fnch8JQs

Wow, FChamp has so much hatred in his little Filipino heart.

So, would anyone say this guy shouldn't be kicked on the face? like, several times, seriously, this is a real idiot.

Just to remember, this is the guy who used to love playing money matches with Daigo's Ryu in his lovely 7-3 matchup but didn't wanna play Sako using Cammy, plus, he used to play Phoenix in mvc3. And now is asking who the gently caress players like kazunoko is, really? just one of the best guilty gear players, a game FChamp wouldn't have the skills to even start playing.

(this might be the best youtube comment section in recent history)

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Choice tweets about MLG MK9

quote:

HelloKittyRicky Ricky Ortiz
The day I play MK is the same day I find women sexually attractive.

quote:

PR_Balrog Eduardo Pérez
A lot of people asked me if i'm playing mk9 again because its on mlg now and my answer is no the game is to boring for me and dont enjoy it

quote:

NerdJosh Josh Jodoin
I can't believe MLG took #MK9 WTF #EX2+ DESERVED THAT SPOT D: #esports

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I also enjoy the tweets where people rescind previous negative thoughts about MK9 and then talk about how they want to play it again because of that #esports money. But there are too many of those to copy and paste.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Zip posted:

I have a sf tournament edition stick that's stock.. I really need a circle gate. What place do you guys recommend me ordering one from?

You can only get them from LizardLick as far as I know. I'd recommend not changing your gate and getting used to square gate, but to each his own.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

A lot of people have gripes with the community that actually does play BlazBlue, not even the game itself. I remember Fanatiq was telling a story about how he really wanted to learn BlazBlue but then encountered so much elitism on the DustLoop forums that he just decided not to.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Nobody's ever going to bring out a game as simple as ST ever again, are they? :sigh:

ST? Pfft that game was ruined by Supers and Throw Softening.

Give me some World Warrior simplicity.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I don't get how the scene is going nowhere though. Every year every major gets bigger and new majors start up. Most TOs (at least I know Big-E, Keits and Jebailey have said this publicly) make their money back from running majors and usually even profit enough to help it grow next year. Stream viewership, while still below SC2 levels, is higher than it has ever been for fighting games. Sponsorships from real organizations have really just started happening as a big thing over the past year. EVO this year is probably going to be even bigger and better than last year, like it always is and Capcom has just promised some vague 500 thousand dollar prize circuit of some sort with IPL involved.

The scene was already going places before Aris decided to act like the hugest scumbag on earth on stream, and in all honestly will continue going places for better or for worse.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Schmendrick posted:

If a competitive scene's going to be filled with pot-smoking manchildren who make racist/sexist jokes in some dumpy part of California, no one out of that scene's going to look at you kindly. Third Strike barely got anyone new into it because the community is piss awful regardless to it being online/offline. You make more money by not being a creepy, elitist knucklehead who pushes people away when they want to check your scene out.

There's a reason why Starcraft gets more competitive attention than fighting games.

Okay that doesn't mean anything though. Starcraft gets more competitive attention but they also run weird invitational majors that lose a shitton of money because ad revenue can't sustain them and MLG was pretty close to being broke before that recent PPV Winter Arena stream which was apparently a big success and it's really more of a spectator sport that anything. I like the current state of the fighting game scene a lot and it's really not as filled with horrible people like you're claiming.

e: Oh I didn't realize you're that "SoCal" guy. Don't know why I bothered responding.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

KOF is really popular in California though, isn't it? That sounds like it might conflict with NCR.

Yeah. From what I remember, NorCal specifically had a pretty big + dedicated KOF scene.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Someone needs to make a "DS4 Bingo" in a similar vein to the MvC3 bingo that got made.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

KOF13 MLG entrants posted:

xskullsmasherx69
quickscopessephiroth
If these dudes don't make top 8 I'll be sad.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Electric Crayon posted:

Where can I get a TE equivalent stick without bad fight game artwork. It's bugging me out that I can't find one that isn't SFxT EDITION or SSFIV EDITION.

Also I am lazy and don't want to go to Kinko's to get my favorite anime character printed on a cutout for the stick.

http://store.namcobandaigames.com/s...s=1332345341107

It costs a bunch because it's limited edition, but it doesn't have any bad fighting game artwork on it.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

inthesto posted:

The more detailed answer to this is that for every good idea or opinion he has on game design, he has an equally bad one - most recent example: He thinks that hitstun and gravity scaling are more intuitive infinite protection systems than the one found in Skullgirls :psyduck:.
Something being intuitive, by definition, is a personal and subjective thing. I can totally see how hitstun scaling is more intuitive because combo creation is basically "these things work at the start of the combo, these things work towards the middle, and these things only work at the end". Whereas in Skullgirls you have to be much more cognizant and reason with "wait, did I start a string with this move earlier when I was confirming from an awkward situation or recovering from mistiming something?"

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Okay, so what defines the "start," "middle," or "end" of a HSD combo? What works? What makes the combo shorter? What are the rules? How long is the maximum combo?

That's what makes it intuitive rather than based on logic and reasoning? As time has gone on in MvC3, people have gotten much better internal understandings of how the system works and top players can now salvage combos that work within hitstun scaling from hit confirm situations they might have never seen before. And, when they fail to do this they usually can tell what caused the hitstun decay to take place more rapidly than usual.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 25, 2012

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Intuitive means "Easy to use or understand." Therefore, for a system to be "more intuitive" than another system that operates on a single, clearly defined rule (with 2 clearly defined exceptions), it would most certainly have to have logic or reasoning behind it!

Interpreting intuitive as simply "Easy to use or understand", especially in this case, is a fairly narrow interpretation of what the word means or has ever meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I'll be there playing UMvC3

• Locked thread