Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

This is really out there in the realm of impossibility, but think of how much better TvC would have looked if it was all sprites. TvC looks like poo poo because the wii graphical prowess isn't great, but it can handle really really awesome sprites at least. Wouldn't really save the game from its awful gameplay though.

Kirby's Epic Yarn vs Capcom would be fantastic.

Speaking of 3s, Chun's sprites always looked to me like they don't really fit. The art style seems a bit different, the coloring is off, and her stances and animations are just weird. She kind of seems to stretch more than everyone else. I mean she still looks fantastic and incredibly well animated, she just seems sort of out of place somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What the gently caress is x-copying? Is it just more dumb fighting game terminology because "copying" isn't good enough?

Also I'm sure a lot of people pick lovely characters even knowing they're lovely just because they like them. Like me and Guy. Guy is cool but not very good, and I'm not even good enough to do play him at a great level, but you know what, whatever.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

The video was actually pretty good though.

And also pretty accurate to my experience with Tekken 6's netcode, which can best be described as "The kind of netcode in which every one of DSP's whines is correct."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ He's a character in several Kirby games. Most notably in the minigame Revenge of Metaknight (which was awesome) in the SNES Kirby Super Star or All Stars or whatever it was called.

Gamest Mook posted:

The top left cell averages 0 fun per player, the second and third average 12.5 fun per player, the fourth averages 15 fun per player.

In the year 2011, scientistsSmash players have finally managed to quantify fun. I must know what the average fun and standard fun deviation are for a Ryu vs. Bison match in every iteration of SF containing both characters.

That being said, as I understand Metaknight is fun neither to play nor to watch in a competitive setting, but Smash isn't competitive to begin with, so :toot:.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Metaknight is the prisoner's funhaver's dilemma.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Peacock's shout of "Flip the bird!" for that one attack never fails to make me smile. Also her level 3 with the cigar toss still owns.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've recently been playing/watching a fair amount of Alpha 3 on GGPO. I don't really see much talk about it, but setting aside V-ism is Alpha 3 considered a decent game? I know there seems to be some split in opinion between it and Alpha 2 but I don't know much beyond that. A Gen is really fun to watch though, and it sucks that the characters I like aren't that good. R. Mika and Birdie why are you so bad :(. Also are there any good X-ism characters? It seems like for the most part people don't even touch it with a ten foot pole.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you just took out custom combos from the Alpha series then would its core gameplay be good? I guess it's not really a useful question since what's done is done, but it still had some interesting mechanics I think. On a side note, I think the sprites and general art are pretty good. They're really colorful and distinct, and there's also the great Alpha 3 announcer. There are some questionable choices, like for example Ryu's air throw is just his shoulder throw and it looks goofy as hell when he jumps, stops in mid air to stand on nothing and throw the dude over his shoulder, then resumes falling.

Edit: Speaking of sprites, kof2002 and the like have good sprite work, but I always found them a bit odd since it's like they were trying to be more detailed than the limits allowed, and they had more subdued color schemes than SF and less clear boundaries in the sprites themselves. Like they look good, but something always seems a little off about them.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 12, 2011

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

Is probably a more legit competitive game than the actual DoA games.

Wasn't the butt battle minigame or something one of the rounds in the mystery game torunament at UFGT this year?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Buhbuhj posted:

Pols not the one you should worry about, there's a couple other killers that have entered as well. I won't spoil the fun though.

It's me. I'm all of the other killers.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bebopaloobop posted:

Here's the archived stream on Youtube. Lot of blackscreen inbetween matches and some trouble spectating on GGPO, couldn't edit it out because doing video editing on FLVs is a bitch and finding a way to convert it to something without losing sync on the audio is impossible. Also some framerate issues because I forgot to change a setting before going live and nobody told me it was lagging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqoZ9mwKG_0

Cool tip for dudes watching this video: You can skip from like 3:20 to about 5:20. Trust me on that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The only thing which dampens my hype is the knowledge that I will never be good enough to be able to play it at any level above "Just barely not mashing buttons." I can already write Ms. Fortune off the list of characters to try for that reason.

I like that Parasoul color scheme in the video, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just tried Yomi and found it surprisingly fun. Even if Sirlin himself is a bit of an rear end in a top hat or insufferable, he did make an amusing game. I assume there is probably a tier list, but I don't know how stratified it is. Valerie seems to be really good due to unrestricted combos, though.

Kongai didn't really do much for me the few times I tried it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Schmendrick posted:

There's supposed to be a demo for Tag 2 that'll come with Hybrid (which is Tag 1 with HD). It's better than nothing for now, but it seems like Tag 2's console release might be faster. Console Tekken games usually take a year or two to come out because Namco loves to infest them with horrible modes like Scenario Campaign, Tekken Force, and Devil Within while butchering the Single/Versus Player modes people just want.

It's a shame Harada doesn't know people wouldn't miss another mode where Lars or Jin become worthless, emo losers in an anime, fan-fiction plot for a netcode/online play that isn't garbage.

You mean you didn't like Tekken 6's deep and engrossing story? That said, I wouldn't mind a story mode that just centered around Heihachi doing ever more crazy bullshit and figuring out more elaborate ways to kill his family. The brawler mode in 6 could have been fun if it looked like they had spent more than a week on it and it taught actual poo poo about the game, but that just goes back to the usual problem of fighting games generally having awful or nonexistent tutorials (BB of course being an exception.)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

40 OZ posted:

Do we know that for a fact? Evo 2011 got 2,000,000 unique viewers.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/s...-unique-viewers

That is a little less than how many copies of SSF4 was sold, worldwide. What am I missing, here? How can this be a "tiny, tiny" segment of players?

How many people would have watched Evo 3 years before that when the main games were the hardcore fighting gamers' games of choice?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 21, 2011

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Regarding execution in fighting games, I wonder why Tekken doesn't really get picked up by people who complain about execution requirements (disclaimer: I am probably the worst Tekken player alive.) For most of the characters, just to do something requires usually at most a direction and a button press, sometimes multiple buttons simultaneously. Certainly there are much more complicated characters, but take Anna as an example. The most complicated commands she has are for her command grabs, which as far as I understand are broken in more or less the same way as normal grabs, so the advantages to being able to do them are things like damage or positioning. Her basic juggles aren't particularly hard, either. Are there better ones that require better execution? Sure. But basic ones can get enough work done. Being restricted to basic execution just means that you have to be right more often. Likewise in most other fighting games I've played. It's not like in SC or SC2 where there is a high minimum requirement for execution to play at even a basic level.

As for complaints about motions, well there's only so many buttons on a pad/stick. Eventually you have to add motions, and even then there's only so many motions you can make.

VVVV I guess it depends on the level of play you're at. I was thinking more of the type of people who post about "finger puzzles!" and not budding tournament players. For the former group I think they can get by without having perfect movement. If they want to start playing competitively then yeah, they're going to have to get better.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 24, 2011

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ I like the 10 foot tall, brick of muscle SF4 version of Sagat over the ST one, too. He just looks wimpy in ST.

Wait how does Ivy even work without stances? I mean it might make her playable by mere mortals, but does she only have the sword state now or something? Or am I misunderstanding? I've only dabbled a bit in SC4 with Mitsurugi, Siegfried, and Cassandra.

And I can't tell whether that motion is better or worse than before. Wasn't it previously something like db, qcf, ub, db, df? gently caress that poo poo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AXE COP posted:

Trailer for the Soul Calibur V character customisation:

(The video)

I have to say, even though the game is likely going to be awful, the creation is looking really robust.

If I pick up SC5 I have no doubt I will log more hours in character customization than the actual game because character and appearance customization is like catnip to me. Also they highlighted the boob slider in customization. Stay classy, Soul Calibur.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Groghammer posted:

Painwheel's bio is up on the Skullgirls site.

No gameplay, but this might mean we get some in the near future.

While it is not surprising and is more than a little :rolleyes: that they put measurements for each of the characters in the bios, for something that is pretty much an anime game the character weights are actually pretty reasonable as opposed to not a single one being above 100 pounds. Though the measurements and weights being posted in the first place is still embarrassing.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 16, 2011

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Robolizard! posted:

How does the girl with the giant pair of arms on her head weigh less than filia

The arms are just her hat, so I guess clothing is not included in weight. The more illogical thing is that Cerebella should have some enormous neck muscles to be able to support the hat plus whatever the hat is holding.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

40 OZ posted:

So?

Play a competitive game like TF2 or DOTA where it doesn't matter where you live, instead.

Maybe he or she likes fighting games and doesn't like TF2 or dota? I'm not sure why you're assuming that competition is the single reason anyone would want to play a fighting game. Competition isn't the sole defining trait of fighting games. I'm utter poo poo at these games, but I like playing them even with pretty much no prospects for ever playing competitively or even at a decent level. Maybe I'm just not the Right Kind of fighting game player, I don't know.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

40 OZ posted:

Are you trying to get better? It doesn't matter at all what 'level' you are on.

Do you play against your roommates? Have some friends on IRC you play? Your little sister? If you compete against absolutely anyone, you are playing competitively.

I live alone and only have online as an avenue through which to play. Also I was using the generally accepted definition of "competitively" as "in a setting with real stakes, i.e. a tournament" rather than the pretty-much-covers-everything definition of "not cooperatively."

40 OZ posted:

Compared to who? JUSTIN WONG?

I am terrible in the sense that I am not capable of performing at anything above the most basic level the game requires, and in that I lose the vast majority of matches. I wish I were only poo poo at the game compared to Justin Wong. That is however irrelevant to what I was trying to say, that people enjoy playing and watching fighting games despite not being even of small tournament levels of skill or having any ambition for whatever reason to be at that level.

40 OZ posted:

It was before they made console ports

I would say that a fighting game is more defined by its mechanics and general gameplay than by competition.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 18, 2011

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

a cross between Chun Li, Morrigan, and Ibuki

Welp, looks like I know who I'm playing. A team of Cerebella and Valentine. And I will be terrible at it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's not like balance and character diversity (not just in the characters present but in the actual ways they play) cannot coexist. It's just harder to do that well. That being said, Street Fighter could consist entirely of Ryu, Chun, and Zangief and I would happily watch and play that poo poo. Now that I think about it, I wonder if the complaints about balance and tiers are in many instances really just more about top tiers not being interesting. Like compare a game in which Ryu is top tier to a game in which Yun is. Even vanilla SF4 Sagat was pretty interesting. Or look at all the complaints about vanilla MvC3 Wolverine. I feel like people would for the most part care less about balance as long as the best characters are interesting and not one dimensional or brain dead.

Also it seems like fighting games are developing their own hipster scene.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spaceship Zero posted:

Playing a goofy singleplayer mode to unlock fancy clothes that alter your stats?

The stats don't affect actual matches. Likewise item stats in SC4 don't affect anything in standard mode. You just get to make dudes that look cool.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fighting games will never be mainstream or widely televised so long as you have people calling a crowd camera streamed from someone's phone the "rapecam." Cut that poo poo out, fighting game community.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's possible I'm misunderstanding something about the loop stopping system, but the combo videos that have been posted for Skullgirls so far all seem to have some loops in them that go unbroken. I'm assuming that they wouldn't demo combos that the system is designed to discourage or prevent, so what am I missing?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PalmTreeFun posted:

Fei Long with his rekkas, and Yun with his lunges,
Even Jin Saotome with Blodia Punches.
Came fighters and fightettes of all shapes and sizes,
and Jean lit up the hearth with a "DARK PHOENIX RISES"!

But all were not happy on this Noel Eve.
From his fortress in Thailand one man wished to leave.
Restless in his bed slept the lonely M. Bison,
Dreaming the death of a frustrating American.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 25, 2011

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

UberChair posted:

Better than the rest, the top tiers they came
Players button-checked, and called them by name:
Now Viper! Now Doom! Now Magnus, and Wesker!
On Nova! On Hawkeye! On Vergil and Spencer!

Last of all did the bottom tiers show.
Tron, Arthur, Hakan, and Hsien Ko.
All were not ready, said Benimaru.
It was time for the feast, but where was Ryu?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 25, 2011

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

whip posted:

The 90's were so awesome :allears:

SF
Shaq-Fu
Fatal Fury
Tekken
King of Fighters
World Heroes
Tuff E Nuff
Mortal Kombat
Samurai Shodown
Virtua Fighter
TNMT: Tournament Fighters
Eternal Champions

I believe you left out the greatest fighting game ever created: Gundam Wing Endless Duel.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

iPodschun posted:

I guess this goes best here:

Mr. Wizard Reveals EVO 2012 Line Up on Wakeup SRK Live Tonight at 7 PM PST
http://twitch.tv/keits

SSF4AE2012 and UMvC3 are locks of course, and likely some sort of TTT2 exhibition since it's not on console until late this year. I'm hoping for Skullgirls, and think KOF would be cool too.

They had better put in KOF. I highly doubt they wouldn't, but I want to see it get a pretty high billing because it's a good game and is also really fun to watch. Main question would be whether they think they can get more than like 4 entrants or however many were at SCR. If BB was in last year it will probably still be in. I'm honestly not expecting Skullgirls to be on the list since its release date is currently March I think? I wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed back again, so uncertainty in release date plus being out for a very short time I would guess make its chances pretty low. I could be wrong on the release date, though. A TTT2 exhibition or panel is probably a safe bet.

I'm curious if they'll slot SC5 or if it will be written off before release.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gamest Mook posted:

SCR had 60-80 for KOF I heard. And Skullgirls launch date is probably late Jan/early Feb. BlazBlue seems unlikely since Mr. Wizard was talking poo poo in IRC about how if you can't manage 300 people for Evo you don't deserve to be there.

If Skullgirls actually holds to that then I could see it getting a slot, though not as a main game. I didn't know that about BB, though I don't care one way or the other whether it's in. And I did exaggerate a bit on the KOF numbers for SCR, but I'm just really worried that it ends up being forgotten so any number of entrants isn't enough. Is there sufficient interest in it on the east coast or is it more just a west coast thing right now?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lack of Skullgirls is a bit disappointing, but I can kind of understand it. Hopefully SC5 is really good, and I'm happy that KOF is in.

Also I unironically hope SFxT is the hypest thing this year, because that would be hilarious. Gems wouldn't even be a problem if they keep the two station setup they used last year, or was that a different tournament?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ryu fighter. A fighting game which has every version of Ryu in it (except I guess EX) and no other characters. Alpha 3 Ryu would probably be the top/only tier.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

Could 3s ryu parry? And could MvC3 ryu have 5 meters and x-factor? Because that would be pretty good.

Eh maybe you'd want to balance it, but it'd be interesting to just let them all rock as they are.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tamagod Sushi posted:

That the next Final Fantasy fighting game spin off? :haw:

Speaking of Final Fantasy fighting games, are the Dissidia games decent? I'm guessing no, but you never know.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

When you get a choice of which character to unlock from the start, pick Devil Jin, he's a total pain in the rear end to unlock for the mode otherwise, and by far the easiest character to destroy any of the bonus stages with.

I unlocked Miguel. You get Miguel for free on literally the second stage, so I was a bit annoyed. But yeah Tekken 6 story mode sucks apart from the previously mentioned Heihachi catching a bullet with his teeth. I liked the queen's port music, though.

On a different subject, SC5's really good lobbies have made me wonder if anyone has ever made a stick with more or less a texting keypad on it. With online play becoming more prevalent it seems like it'd be a decent feature to add to some sticks, since sending messages the normal way on a 360 sucks.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I was wondering something earlier today. Has there ever been a tournament (solo or team) that experimented with allowing players to ban characters (like 1 each) for their set? I'm not at all suggesting that it is a fantastic idea that must be implemented immediately, but it could potentially add an interesting layer if counter picks had a big impact. Then again it could be completely irrelevant and might be somewhat redundant since as I understand double blind pick is always an option, and there's a strong case for keeping the competition as much inside the game as possible. Note that I'm thinking of 1v1 games here, not team games like mvc.

vvvv I wasn't proposing that it be implemented, I was just curious if anyone had ever tried that format. It would probably also really slow things down too, now that I think about it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 18, 2012

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

As embarrassing a game as it is, Vanguard Princess does have some neat ideas. The different assists are an interesting way to customize play styles (if I remember right, the assists were a mostly ranged one, one that had weird tools for mixups, one that was slow but did a lot of damage, and one that was like a shoto minus the fireball or something), and there is a lot of variety in the characters' play styles. Also most of the attacks I remember had a solid, visceral feeling, like the jackhammer or the big lasers or most supers. It sort of benefits from Skullgirls, because you can point to Skullgirls and say that VP isn't that much more embarrassing than Skulgirls. I also think it is less noisy than the Persona fighting game. I watched the videos of it and there was just so much poo poo, visually and aurally, going on that it was a bit much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Yup I can tell you my major problem with the SE I got from a friend is that the diagonals are very... not sensitive? They require you to basically drag the stick as hard as you can along the bottom to get the diagonal to register, which requires a slower and deliberate motion, and that's not exactly good for fast cancels. The amount of down to forwards with no downforward in between despite not passing the stick through neutral is absolutely baffling.

It's second button on the top row is similar in that you can't really tap it like the rest, you need to depress it to make sure the input registers.

I actually have that same problem with the diagonals on my SE. I don't remember whether it was initially like that or if it just degraded over time though. The stock buttons went bad fairly quick, but they're cheap and easy to replace. I need to get around to replacing the stick.

• Locked thread