Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Popehoist posted:

This is a great MB match, showcasing F-PCiel, who is currently Yun-levels of broken but getting the nerfbat soon, VS C-Roa, who was total trash in previous versions of the game and is still something of an unknown.

As far as I've seen, it's not F-PCiel that's hilariously broken, it's C-PCiel. That loving electro bolt normal gives ridiculously stupid oki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVIDizr63VI

I'll probably end up using C-PCiel, because holy drat does she look fun. She just needs a bit of nerfing, because that poo poo is sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

What the hell ever happened to that planned console port of MBAACC, anyways? I still play AC every now and again, but all the new poo poo really makes me want to play it.

Well, if nothing else, the PC port will be out in a while, but it's too bad there's no netplay on it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, for the one or two people who care, Arcsys put up a little pre-TGS thing for the stuff they're planning on showing off. But with puppets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e7NTTb8ncs

Nothing all that interesting, not that I can understand any of it. New BB stuff and some billiards thing. Oh, and what I can only assume to be Chaos Code console (6:55).

MASSIVE HYPE.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

you're right why would The Land Of The Free ever seize a persons property unless Spooky is actually a terrorist??????? All I know is my government never does anything wrong.

Actually all the DHS needs is suspicion and nothing else to violate your personal rights and also never return anything they confiscate 100% theft welcome to USA

Yeah, gently caress those goddamn Americans, always stealing my stuff for absolutely zero reason at all, gently caress that poo poo man, fight the system, DOWN WITH THE GOVERNMENT.

:jerkbag:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

come on now, I half-quoted yipes for a reason.

my ridiculous posts aside I think it's really unfair and dumb for something like this to happen.

also this ain't D&D so we should probably stop talking about it until something new develops!

I'm so bad with fakeposting. I can never get it right. Too much time spent around the absolute crazies on either side, you start becoming blind to sarcasm. :negative:

I won't say it's not a little unfair, though. There is such a thing as being too paranoid. :tinfoil:

Edit: But, yeah, I agree, not enough is known as of yet.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Really, to this day, the only problem I have with BB is how they've been treating their pressure-centric character, Ragna. In the first one, his health gain meant something, and he could get some drat good damage out when he needed it. But starting with CS, they bumped his health gain down a notch, but buffed his damage output significantly, ending up with the monstrosity that resulted in 5.5k meterless damage with 50 meter gain from anywhere on the screen. Then they went full out nerfbat in CS2, leaving him with pretty much little in the way of damage, ending up at lower than CS1 levels even after burning meter.

For a character who has really no tools to assist in his approach, nor a very effective mixup game, they sure do like making it so that, once you actually do get a hit with him, you can't do a lot without being in a very specific set of circumstances to allow you to get good damage/meter out of anything.

Other than that, which they seem to have done something about in Exceed, I'm pretty much fine with BB as a game. But that's just one decision that doesn't really make much sense.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I'll just keep hoping they improve Tager, even a little would be nice at this point. :sigh:

Among the aforementioned Voltic Charge counter leading to really great, totally meterless, damage, Tager's combo rate got increased across the board. More damage from every combo? Hell loving yes! Makes me happy to have put all the effort into Tager in CS2.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Then Tager escaped with only a few changes somehow he plays pretty much like CS1 to me at least.

Yeah, Tager mostly got away unscathed in terms of character nerfs (mainly his forward throw sending the opponent into the stratosphere, and the additional AC repeat proration), but he had weird stuff happen to him because of the system changes.

The now universally non-cancellable throws made timing tighter on his throw combos, and the instant block nerf really made IB > Driver/Buster much harder to do, which was a pretty big deal.

Also, regarding Hakumen, I actually thought his CS2 changes were pretty cool. His counters got pretty substantial buffs, and the lack of a flash on Snowstorm just makes more sense.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Xlyfindel posted:

Like I said, I could maybe live with the change if it were a new game, but it seems a bit extreme for a standard update.

Well, for the most part, it really is a new game. Whole new arcade setups in Japan, new games on the handheld front, etc. We just got the whole kit'n kaboodle for free on console because Arc is cool like that. That's why Extend really doesn't bother me, since, for the CS era, there've been three games, one for 40 bucks, one free, and another coming out for 50. Compared to Arc's previous console updates with GGXX, each being a full-price update, it's not bad at all.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Quegg posted:

BBCS2 stuff

While you could certainly decide on a main right now, keep in mind that any combos you may learn may nor or will not work in CS:EX, which'll be hitting consoles in about two months. However, you can always use this time to get an idea of each general character's strengths and weaknesses. Since you're interested, I'll tell you a bit about the Tager, one of my mains.

Even after CS2 nerfed Instant Blocking's frame advantage, Tager still benefits heavily from it, and due to his rather defensive nature, you would still do well to learn it. And you get some extra meter to play around with, too. As well, if you're able to learn his tech traps, you'll have viable reset options for just about any situation, which can easily result in annihilating a character. On the other hand, however, his terrible mobility is a constant factor working against you. Most of the time, your enemies can just run the gently caress away, and you'll pretty much be unable to do jack poo poo. Things like Tager/Rachel or Tager/Kune are uphill battles, and you'll need to take full advantage of your damage options to have a chance at victory. Annoying cunts.

Also, regarding Haku, he's a very fun character to play as if you have minor precognitive abilities, or are able to read your opponent well. His counters can lead to some cool poo poo, if you can get over the meter cost for some of the followups.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Considering its rather humble beginnings, Melty is pretty disgustingly fun. I like the fast pace of it, there's a nice cast behind it, and the mechanics are interesting.

I haven't really played it since getting into FGs on a higher level, but that's mainly because the developers seem to have this intense aversion to consoles. But hopefully those rumors about MBAACC 1.07 getting a proper console port pan out. And, hey, there's still the hilariously overpriced PC version.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Has there been any word on that coming out stand-alone? I really want that game, but dont wanna buy Carnival Phantasm to get it.

Aside from the aforementioned nebulous rumors about a proper console port that we haven't seen hide nor hair of any real evidence for, no. Which is too bad, since I also really want that game. And then there's the protection on it, which sounds just cruel.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't know where people find these magical, perfect scenes, but every scene I've ever found has just been filled with the worst of the worst.

One was a group of elitist cockbags who, at one point, actually screamed and cursed at a person who had just joined because he wasn't very good, and such. Despite his obvious willingness to learn, they just kept telling him to get out. He never came back, and I too left shortly after that.

The other was a group of Brawl fans that occasionally dabbled in other things, but they weren't very good at it. The most recent one was a group of dope-smoking retards who probably had a mere handful of braincells between them, and the one time I went to a session with them, it was mainly involved with watching people beat their faces against a controller and were amazed when things happen. (Dust + Jump combo is apparently loving amazing in their world)

Wisconsin: Where FGs go to die.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Brannock posted:

:stare: How does this even happen?

I don't know, they were doing their SFIV session so I wasn't paying attention (I don't really play the game), but I think it was some poo poo about non-optimal combos or FADCs or some guff, I don't really know. Nor care at this point. But people like that are just intolerable.

Jmcrofts posted:

State (or just large) colleges.

All of the aforementioned groups were college groups. Shootoffs of the larger gaming clubs in the area, I believe.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

40 OZ posted:

This is really shocking, are you sure you didn't misunderstand what happened? I literally cannot recreate this scenario in my mind.

I dunno, maybe, but I do remember them going on about "Get out, you're bringing us down, wasting our time" and whatnot. Something about if you're not TOP TIER enough to be WORTHY of their TIME then you should just GET OUT.

Christ, even thinking about it again makes me want to slug them.

Editing to quote the same post that was edited to quote my post again. :psyduck:

40 OZ posted:

This is the problem. You don't want anime club's FG night or D&D club's FG night. These exist and they are completely different.

Well, to be clearer, in all of these cases, they were merely subsections of the preexisting anime, D&D, and gaming club. All three were combined into one because the groups wouldn't qualify as being large enough if they were separated.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 31, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

40 OZ posted:

Arcades were usually a whole different ballgame when they were popular. You could get your rear end beat if someone thought you were a cheap player. Was this on-campus where this guy did this?

The group rotated around every now and again, and it was at a guy's house that time. The guy whose house it was was the one who went off on him first.

Yeah. I don't know.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PalmTreeFun posted:

I never really played GG seriously, but didn't AC fix a lot of balance issues like that?

I used to play it for keeps, and not especially, no. (Before forgetting everything I ever knew about it, that is.) Eddie was still in a tier of his own, and some matchups were just shy of unwinnable.

'Course, I was mainly a Sol player, so I had to be happy with being stuck at mid tier for the rest of eternity.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

taser rates posted:

The Melty Blood 1.07 PC demo is out, finally. Playable Arc, Warc, Sion and VSion only.
Official site, but it's down: http://meltyblood.info/?p=609
Mirror: http://tinyurl.com/mbaaccpc-demo

Oh, hey, awesome. Too bad they really took a step back from MBAC with the control setup, though.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 18, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV4QGR_BTyo&t=12m32s

Hot loving drat, this system has the craziest poo poo. It really does remind me of every FG system in recent memory crammed into one. Too bad it really dropped off the radar.

Oh well, I guess I have my overpriced import copy of BB:CS:EX for entertainment. The more I see of CC, though, the better it looks.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Apparently CC's filled with braindead infinites, last I heard. It's too bad.

Seriously? gently caress my life.

Well, I guess that means they're taking time on the console port to patch that stuff out then. :unsmith:

:smith:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

When I think of Johnny Fiveaces as a fighting game character, my brain automatically defaults to something like GG's Johnny. Maybe crossed with Frank West. You have a move where you throw an ace, and if it connects, you get buffs to your normals, specials, etc. Hit with five, and you enter Fiveaces Mode, where you get access to the Four Balls level 3, which drops your opponent off a cliff, and gets crushed by more falling balls.

I should stop thinking about this. It's maddening.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

For those who give a poo poo, the full MBAACC PC version is out.

I was planning on maining C. P. Ciel, but following up her QCF+A is nigh on maddening, unless there's something I'm missing with that. However, I took some time out with F. Riesbyfe, and goddamn is she powerful. Why yes, I would like 4.3k for B, C, EX, thank you.

Edit: Herp loving derp, I was relying on old 1.05 footage for my combo reference. That explains a lot. I did find this though. Holy drat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtjyJt2xw84

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 1, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Dumb question, does it have netplay and is it any good?

I've yet to have anything that evolved beyond single digit FPS. I guess it's all about waiting for a true console port for real netplay. But this will do for now. This will do. :gbsmith:

Also, I've been working on P. Ciel B&Bs, and loving hell, those reverse beat loops are something else. This is the first time I've ever really tried them, since I got into MB waaay after MBACvB was relevant. gently caress the airthrow to rising stab/divekick timing, though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Popehoist posted:

gonna lol when the MBAACC side tournament gets double the entrants of mk9

That would be funny. Not gonna happen, but hey.

Also, I don't know what the hell is up with the MBAACC launcher, it reads my TE perfectly well, but not my DS3 for other players. Even with the thirty billion drivers I had to put in to get it to be recognized in the first place. Bah.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

von Braun posted:

Yes, please.

Kinda disappointed that they don't have BB this year. I don't play it myself but the anime playing crowd are probably a bit disappointed. Isn't the newest version coming out for console in a couple of month? Nice to see KoF13 and Soul Calibur 5 in there anyway.

It's already out across the pond. There are a couple of idiots (including myself) who imported it. But it really doesn't have a following anymore.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

So is buying Carnival Phantasm on blu ray the only way to legitimately get this game? I really wanna throw my money at this game but dont wanna pay extra for a blu ray I dont want and dont have a device to watch.

Yeah, that's all it's on. I also want to throw money at them, but alas, can't due to the restrictions. And I even have an interest in getting Carnival Phantasm vol 3. A regular PC release would be great, but if they teamed up with a bigger company to make a console port with proper netcode and maybe some lobbies, I would never stop throwing money at them.

Actually, in getting back into MB, I did kind of realize why I like MB as a game more than I do, say, most others. It's because of the fact that it's based almost entirely on long strings of normals with a special or EX for a finisher, as opposed to most games where it's just trying to connect as many specials as possible. I find trying to execute a long reverse beat loop combo more challenging, yet far more entertaining and easier to wrap my head around than most other longer combo systems. Is this a recognized appeal, or just :downs: on my part?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

My favorite part is learning good oki tactics. Crossups, blurry mixups, tick throws, unblockables, tech traps, etc, etc. Getting a good combo down is fun, sure, but setting the end of the combo up so that, say, they tech right into my anti-air command throw, get hit by my air unblockable, or tech right before hitting the ground, causing them to eat my 720.

And then I get pissed because they mashed DP out of the tech, but that's solvable with baiting.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Waterbed posted:

So I have a completely off the wall question that sounds really general discussion-y but I'm actually kind of interested in hearing this from people I don't know:

What kind of fighting game would you make if you had the chance? General aesthetics and design wise.

The aesthetics don't really matter to me, but what it would definitely borrow most of its mechanics from Melty. I prefer long strings of normals and command normals to something like, say, Marvel, where most of your big damage comes from chaining specials. I like the way it revolves around freeform combos, making it easy to pick up a combo from a random air counter hit, and create and reverse beat blockstrings and hits to make for creative tick throws, tech punishes, and crossups.

I dunno, the more I think of a fighter that would fit just right with me, the more I keep coming back to Melty.

Edit: Oh, right. It has to be on a real console. With proper netplay. That's what would more than likely make it perfect.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I'd love to see a CSEX thread. Assuming people would post in it, that is. The last two threads haven't gone very well at all.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Chaos Code is coming to PS3

:woop:

Here's to hoping they patch it to get rid of some of the crazy infinites and crap.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What infinites.

I thought I remembered talk about CC having an assload of braindead infinites, mainly the twins, if I recall properly. But I haven't been keeping up with gameplay as of late, and it may have been patched already, so I dunno.

Edit: vvv Huh, okay, guess I was misinformed. Oh well, still excited for it.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 2, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Brett824 posted:

A lot of people have gripes with the community that actually does play BlazBlue, not even the game itself. I remember Fanatiq was telling a story about how he really wanted to learn BlazBlue but then encountered so much elitism on the DustLoop forums that he just decided not to.

That isn't exactly unique to BB, though.

Personally, I really quite like the game, but I really like long combo games and poo poo like that, so what a lot of people dislike about it, I probably like.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Actually, BL, while that was the case in CT, from CS on it's been just by hits.

I had a video somewhere comparing a Bang combo which included starting FRKZ in the middle of it for both CT and CS. In CT, it dropped because of the aforementioned timing thing, but in CS, it went through fully, let's see if I can find it again.

Edit: vvv This is why I went back to a square gate after being on an oct gate for a while. It really does help you lock into position nicely.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 25, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, hey, some stuff about Under Night In Birth was uploaded recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JA0qnzPjYI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVo_Pn9d03E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPz3iZa9_jk

Linne looks like a character I would use, but what interests me more than that is that apparently the combo gauge shows hitstun deterioration right under it. I can get behind that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno, if I had the cash available to import it, I'd probably get it. It looks solid enough, and I'd probably main Karula (that loving damage) and/or Sasara.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of stickchat, what's the best spring to add a lot of input resistance to a stick? I currently have a doubled up spring in mine, and even that feels quite loose in the hand, often leading to a screwed up input.

Either what I have in there is too weak or I'm putting too much force into my inputs, but either way, I would like a bit more resistance when I'm trying to do something so that I don't accidentally go a little too far in one direction or another and screw something up. It feels like the slightest touch ends up setting off a couple switches.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Actually, what I've got in my stick already are two LS-55s. Other than that, it's just a mostly stock TE, with some of the buttons changed around to fit my personal preferences, and custom plexi/artwork.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

gently caress yeah am I hyped for it. I get to show off my fraudulent EX Order-Sol and oldschool dustloop again, hell yeah.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jam always makes people want to stuff cotton into their ears. It's part of the metagame. (goddamn do I hate jam's voice jesus)

Though, since last I played GG, I've been shown the light in regards to grappler characters. I think I'll do some experimenting with Potemkin when the game comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mio Bison posted:

I'm sure if you look at enough scenes you'll find plenty of bad Kys but ironically Chipp is like masher catnip (and GRAND VIPAAAAAA speaks for itself).

Even back when I played hardline Sol, I could never get a hang on mashing out the full hits for Grand Viper. Maybe it was a problem stemming from the fact that I played only pad back then, I dunno. I'm sure it's not as bad as my memory makes it out to be.

• Locked thread