Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Last Sunday I held an impromptu drunk Last Blade 2 tournament at a friends party. Most fun I've had playing fighters in a long time. The winner was a girl whose sum total video game experience is The Sims and about two hours of Red Dead Redemption. Somehow while drunk she managed to innately grasp the concept of juggles, combos and timed parry and then proceeded to whomp everybody into the ground. Even the guy playing Musashi (the super broken character who's console exclusive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you have a pre-established group of friends who enjoy competitive games it can be easy to start a FG group. You just have to get things going.

I have a Dreamcast and fight sticks and I managed to get my entire group of gaming buddies playing MvCS2 and Last Blade. You also have to be willing to show people the ropes. I knew a guy who started out not even knowing how to hadouken and now that motherfucker will absolutely waste me as Iori (who is like hadouken motion, the character).

But maybe I game with more competitive people that y'all. Since the guys I play FGs with are all hardcore WoW raiders who spend their off time playing DotA, HoN, LoL and TF2. So they are all into high skill games that require dedication and character knowledge.

Its also nice that if you're all friends and not terribly into the bleeding edge FG scene, in which you must all play SSF4 and MvCS 24/7 the price barrier is lower. You can get a PS2 or DC with top notch fight sticks for less than forty dollars these days, depending on what price the Green Machine is going for online. And that will let you play MvCS2, Alpha 2 Gold, Third Strike, VSav, Last Blade 2, Super Turbo and even odd stuff like JoJo or TMNT.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jock Mocken posted:

I dunno if you've checked ebay lately but green goblin DC sticks aren't really cheap (~50 bucks or so). Local pickups may vary of course

It comes and goes. I'm not sure why they vary in price so much. They were down in the fifteen to twenty five range earlier this year. Interestingly enough the Virtua Sticks are also really expensive these days which is odd, since they have traditionally been pretty cheap.

But yeah, local is the way to go. No one price checks dreamcast peripherals on craigslist and yard sales.

Regardless its cheap to get a DC stick, especially since Cthulhu has DC support these days so if your building a stick you can pretty much get DC support built in along with your PS3/PC stick.

And its all worth it to play Mark of the Wolves.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Am I the only one starting to see Skullgirls as the American Arcana Heart, I have this bad feeling it is going to be an amazing game but people will go ughh and shy away from it because of the fan service or drop it for some other bullshit reason in a month, and only a few people are going to remain playing it in the end.

This is why I secretly dread the idea of Capcom making another Vampire game. I still am holding out for an HD remake of Vampire Chronicle.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Schmendrick posted:

An HD remake of any Vampire game is the last thing I want to see after seeing ST HD and the redefined 3SO sprites (I had to set the graphics to the original to make the game look good on my tv).

The difference here is that Vampire is a game that already was trying as hard as it could to look like the STHD anime style sprites when it first came out. Super Turbo didn't need to be completely redrawn and 3S is already one of the most amazing looking fighters and didn't need a half asses eagle filter tossed on it. But I feel the conversion to fully drawn HD style characters like in HDR is a natural progression of the Vampire series aesthetic.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The only anime fighting game worth a drat is Arm Joe, the Les Miserables fighting game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Is it based on the Victor Hugo novel?

Yes.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I downloaded this game and I have to say: The Policeman is the most fun character ever put in a game, any game.

If you haven't, check him out.

Its a very odd game. Feels like a combination of JJBA and the early KoF games.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Go to Shoryuken's Tech Talk subforum for help on repairing the Madcatz TE stick. They have a ton of resources.

Also Slagcoin:
http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
You're a little bit overcome with fanboyism if you thought Skullgirls would get a slot at EVO. No one outside of the diehards know what that game is. Meanwhile every other non-fighting game person I know is pissing themselves over how awesome SC5 and SFxT are going to be. I seriously had someone tell me today that 2012 was the year "good fighting games come back". That's the power of the Playstation 2 generation for ya.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Rokstar posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't exist. Your best bet would probably be to actually buy a PS2 stick, as hard as that is to do these days.

e: etokki is the only site I know of that still sells them, I've never used a Korean stick before but does anyone know anything about this? http://etokki.com/Playstation2/Saulabi-SPS-3000-PS2 I still play CVS2 occasionally and a PS2 stick I could use for that would be jawesome.

K Sticks are a lot like Euro Sticks but with a much shorter throw. They're real common with Tekken and KoF pros because its harder to accidentally hit diagonals with them which makes them good for precise and dial combos. The Saulabi (FOR POWERFUL GAME, has to be the best engrish slogans ever) is a decent base for building a K Stick but you'll need to put about forty bucks worth of crown hardware into it to make it a decent stick. You could probably score a decent PS2 stick on ebay (just don't buy anything from Fight Stick Asia, those guys are scammers).

Pretty much any PS2 stick you buy will be a project stick do to the lack of PS2 stuff with good stock buttons and sticks (the exception is Hori and maybe the Street Fighter Anniversary Stick). And you'll need to drop a Sanwa stick and buttons into it which is about forty dollars give or take. As far as the relative quality of the available PS2 sticks goes:

-the Mayflash has a lot of tutorials online about how to convert and upgrade it, but its a very average design.
-Combat King has a lot of options for button layout and such but very few tutorials exist on how to mode then. They are very similar to the Qanba Professional Joysticks however and those are quite easy to mod.
-Hori made a bunch of decent PS2 sticks, the arcana heart one is the best but it is pink and white with frilly anime girls on it (also expensive).
-The Street Fighter Anniversary stick is an American/Euro style stick (so all Happ parts, long throws and hard button springs). If you like those its a decent stick that can be upgraded easily (toss in some Yenox buttons with 20 gram switches from Paradise Arcade for a start)
-The Soul Calibur stick is trash

You can buy combat kings with full sanwa installed for about a hundred. It has a removable plate so you can change out the art on some models.

Laugh (the pro player who runs Etokki) likes the Mayflash and has a good tutorial for it on SRK.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

40 OZ posted:

Yeah, I'd try to review k-sticks but really you just gotta try one, and look at the bottom of it to see how the lever actuates. It is too difficult for me to explain. I mostly use Sanwa parts but I have a k-stick with CROWN buttons I use all the time and I have zero problems with it.

There is some suspicion that korean tekken players have such good movement because of the korean sticks but I doubt that is the case. However, I could be convinced that the k-stick helps if there is a big difference in how strong the stick returns to neutral (which I believe you have to return to neutral quickly for some high level movement in Tekken) compared to Sanwa.

I honestly don't know, I don't play tekken and return to neutral isn't a big thing in SF games.

The big reason is the way the switches hit diagonals, and the short throw/return distance. It means while its harder to do things like the hadouken motion, its much easier to do long combo strings like in Tekken or more importantly to do things like Geese's combos in CvS2. Crowns are also smaller and their button spacing on arcade machines is a little tighter than the Astro/Blast/Vewlix layout that is so prevalent in Japanese arcades (and the horrendous "six grid" American and Euro cabs use). Basically their stick and arcade styles are built for playing Tekken and KoF, and when you are raised on that layout and stick style those are the big games you play. It probably doesn't help that both those games are big on precise inputs so they tend to do better than some people who transition to games with really forgiving input like SF4.

I personally love the ball top Crown sticks. They have such smooth and accurate input. I'm not as big a fan of the buttons (always been a fan of strong spring buttons like Seimitsu and Happ) but they are the same level of quality as Sanwas.

Laugh is the gatekeeper of Korean arcade parts for the west. Etokki has all the good quality ones, the stick he makes himself is amazing and he has a wealth of tutorials on the subject. Besides Dave Sirlin I've probably learned more random awesome poo poo about fighting games from him than anybody else.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ergoglobe posted:

It was suggested i post this here instead of in the MVC3 thread.

I've been thinking of making my own fight stick and would like some input on button layouts.
I found a website ( http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html ) that walked me through the whole process and I feel I can do it myself.
The modified Sega layouts ( the ones that are 2nd player and under ) seem to closely mimic the Madcatz TE layout and is what I plan to go with.
A friend told me that the Hori layout isn't that great, and it seemed too curved for my own liking as well.

Don't buy from lizard lick, IMHO they have high prices and bad stock. Get them at Paradise Arcade Shop or Focus Attack.

Astro/Blast City/Viewlix layouts are great. I personally love whatever one they used on the Virtua Stick.

edit: Never use wireless fight sticks. They not only have lag but are also banned in any tournament you'll ever play in.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

TheTofuShop posted:

thanks scuz/40 OZ/everyone else for having this stick building talk, my buddy is thinking he wants a stick and I think the two of us are gonna build one for him, all these links will help a ton, the SRK TT forum can be a bit of a minefield.

As far as SRK goes there are some people there who know their poo poo:
Laugh, Darksaul, b15sdm (without a doubt the best custom stick builder right now), snarfulz, the guy who runs Ronin Warrior Customs (forget his name), and the guy who runs Shadoloo customs (also forget his handle, he hasn't posted in a while IIRC). Dev is the guy who does the template thread and is very knowledgeable about art layouts and that noise. And in addition to that all the guys who work for the major arcade parts retailers (LL, Paradise, Focus Attack, even Mad Catz) all have threads where you can get information and useful news.

I would strongly recommend that you mod an existing stick before you do a full custom build. Not only because its easier but because it gives you a good working knowledge of internals and parts and can inform you greatly on what you want to do with your stick. The Qanba Professional Fighting Joystick is a good, cheap stick to modify. Its about sixty bucks from Deal Extreme or ebay (slightly more from https://www.qanbashop.com) and has a short list of advantages to the noob stick builder

-Its very well wired with different color wires for all the major functions
-Its drilled for a Sanwa JLF (or Zippyy if you're weird like me) mounting plate
-It comes with very decent Seimitsu knock off buttons that can be easily swapped for Sanwas or Yenox's if you wish (probably Happ/IL's as well but I haven't measured or tried with mine).
-It has an easy to remove plexi or acrylic (not sure which) top so you can swap around your custom art.
-It has a home button and is wired for an LED to display what PS3 controller it is currently assigned to (this is rare, very few cheap PCB's have home/xbox buttons)
-everything is wired with quick disconnects, meaning unless you break something by accident you can do all the mods you want without any solder whatsoever.

Feel free to start by scratch building, but there are a lot of difficult things about it and the advantage of starting with a mod of an existing stick is that you basically get your PCB and case premade for you (which can be more than the sixty that the Qanba costs). Plus the Professional Fighting Joystick (or Q1 as it is sometimes known) uses the same PCB as Qanba's popular Q4 stick, so you know its solid.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fiction posted:

My Hori VX came today! It's my first stick, so I have no idea what I'm talking about, but from what I can tell at least I think it'll serve me well.

It's a good stick, and unlike older hori's it doesn't feature the cramped hori button layout or the poo poo quality Hori buttons. It should have Sanwa OBSF30's for buttons and a Sanwa JLF for a stick. These are industry standards right now although you do have some other option if you so desired.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
What? No one wants Word Heroes 3?

With all the classic Data East fighting characters added, with guest appearances from TMNT and Double Dragon.

edit: Shaq Fu 2

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

scuz posted:

Stick building question! I need to cut a piece of plexi for the lid on a box, and I need to know the best way to go about it. Last time I attempted something like this the plexi exploded (for lack of a better term) after I cut the third button hole. I was using a spade bit and going really fast with the drill. Since then I've purchased forstner bits, but I'm unsure what the technique should be. Really fast, or slow through the plexi? I'm thinking slow, but I'd like to get some input before I flush $8 down the toilet.
Ideally with a drill press. If you cant get one than make sure the plexi is well supported and weighted on the edges and do a firm downward press. Also, are you using plexi or lexan? Because I'll be honest, Plexi is a bitch to drill by hand while Lexan is super easy. Slagcoin recommends Plexi for a number of very good reasons but if toughness and ease of drilling is your thing than Lexan is superior (although more expensive, depending on sheet size).

I assume you've read this, but I'll post it anyways:

Slagcoin posted:

Drilling

Drilling acrylic and polycarbonate can result in problems, especially with acrylic. As with wood, be sure to have the acrylic supported on a flat surface, and periodically pull out the bit when drilling deep. Spiral-shaped drill bits generally do not work well with acrylic as they pull at it. When using spiral bits, be sure to transition small to large bits through it (like 1/16" to 1/4" in five increments) to make it much easier, more exact, and much less likely to crack. Maybe sandwich the acrylic between rigid panels to reinforce it. If you can find bits without spiral grooves (like glass and diamond grinding bits) to do the work, things are often much easier.

A hole drill bit will be used in putting joystick and button holes in the acrylic. I tend to prefer hole saws for doing this work, but the arbor on these has spirals that can hurt; either replace the arbor with a bit that does not have spirals, or remove the arbor and make a template that can to center the drill in the proper locations. The only other large bits I suggest for acrylic are spurred spade bits (avoid ones without spurs) and (to a much lesser extent) forstner bits.

A lot of friction can cause acrylic to crack, melt, or warp. Keep the drilling slow and release it from the surface often to let it cool. Water and dish soap can work well as lubricant to keep things cool and smooth. The panel will also be less likely to warp if it is sandwiched during drilling.

AXE COP posted:

I hope they put on a MUGEN tournament.

As long as it includes Everyone vs. Everyone.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Lizard Lick should probably be removed from the OP at this point all things considered.

Maybe replace them with Paradise Arcade Shop or something, just don't direct people to LL at this point because you probably ain't gonna see anything except your money refunded in a few weeks when they fail to ship your order.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I usually play Vampire Chronicles for Dreamcast. Mainly because it allows me and my friend to both play our favorite characters (who otherwise don't share a game). One of these days when I have downtime I'm gonna build a cab for it. Supposedly someones opening an arcade near me as well, and a place like that can always use a Vampire machine.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Bebopaloobop posted:

Basically any stick in that price range from a reputable brand will have very similar parts and a good build. The HRAP is a lot bigger than most sticks, though, so keep that in mind.

And you should be able to use it on your PC. I know there were some problems with MadCatz PS3 sticks on some PCs, but I don't know if they were resolved or if they applied to other PS3 sticks.

The PCB on the Madcatz stick only works on Intel CPUs due to some hardware issue. As far as I know the HRAP is compatible with any PC regardless of CPU.

I would advise against it. Why? Because Qanba is the best stick maker on the market right now. There is a company called Eightarc who basically pimp out Qanba Q3's into really awesome joysticks. Their PS3 model, which is on par with the HRAP (you can see them in some episodes of Excellent Adventures!) is currently discounted at the amazing price of 109 dollars US (http://eightarc.com/ps3-ebony).

If you have modding chops (and by that I mean a socket wrench and screwdriver) you can upgrade what I believe to be the current best priced joystick on the market: The Qanba Professional Fighting Joystick. They're about sixty bucks with free shipping from Deal Extreme (the ones I have ordered came in a week and a half at Christmas time). You need to drop about forty dollars worth of parts into it. A Sanwa JLF, or my preferred stick the Seimitsu LS-32 for the joystick and six Sanwa OBSF 30's for the buttons. Then you can get some cool art and replace the hideous stock art and you're good to go. Its a very simple mod job (someone on youtube has a good video) and requires no soldering for an LS-32 (or for that matter a Crown or any other joystick that doesn't use a wire harness like the JLF). The JLF will require you to do the exceptionally easy task of connecting some corresponding wires to one another (takes about five minutes, a soldering gun and some electrical tape).

I always advocate people building or modifying a joystick instead of buying one of the expensive one (odd because I sell them as a hobby). There is a connection that you wont get with the device any other way. Plus it allows you a nice scale of customization and personalization.

But barring that the Eightarc is a very good stick. Every bit the HRAP's equal, and cheaper to boot. Plus it looks very classy!

Edit: and you can swap the art out on the Eightarc, which the Hori cant do that well.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 21, 2012

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Is anybody looking for the Mortal Kombat Klassic arcade stick? I have one that I'm gonna flip on ebay but I'd rather obviously sell it to one of you cool bros. I can also mod it if that's your jazz.

I don't actually know what the demand for these things is. I've been told they're pretty nice, with a foam bottom and all, but gently caress if I know anything about what MK players want (I used to play UMK3 on my 64, that and like ten hours of the new one is my MK experience).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
TSM has some outside money as well. I think one of them has a real job, one has a bunch of money saved from being in the military and one has rich as gently caress parents who give him some cash.

They do manage to pay rent on a pretty dope house with just streaming revenue. And its certainly improved their skill level.

But FG streams don't pull in as much as LoL ones do. However, I think a big brother style show would work much better with the FGC as opposed to the Starcraft, DotA or LoL community. The reason is that in a world dominated by white middle class kids and Koreans, Fighting Games have a much larger diversity factor. Especially in California where a ton a random people play fighting games. So I think with more diversity comes more opportunities with reality TV, because then you can try and paint people with a wide palette of bad stereotypes and not just "white nerdy video game kids".

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Paradise has been slow because Brian has been running around doing stuff to expedite a bunch of new poo poo they're rolling out soon (silent JLF kits! Clear Sanwa plungers!). He's said that he hopes to get all the standing orders shipped by tomorrow.

You have to cut them a little slack, it is run literally out of a guys garage in Hawaii.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

PalmTreeFun posted:

I played some 3D KoF game on PS2. It think it was like KoF 2009 or something like that and it had some Harry Potter-like character in yellow.

Also, it actually had really bad English voices. You could turn on Japanese, but the bodegas and doushitas just weren't as good.

We KoF fans don't talk about Maximum Impact (or KOF12).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Policenaut posted:

So Capcom re-released Rival Schools on the PlayStation Network in Japan. Apparently Capcom went to the lengths to finding and obtaining all the rights for the game, so we might even get to see it re-released in America.

Too bad its the PS version and not the Dreamcast one.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

redmercer posted:

The DC version didn't have the controller massage. :colbert:

Counterpoint: anti-aliasing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Instead of watching true drama unfold (?) on Cross Assault I decided getting better at Tekken was a higher priority. But first I suffered through trying to do the Devil Jin missions in Scenario Mode...without Devil Jin (didn't unlock him first). To be honest it was kind of a joke alternating between Miguel 1,2,1+2 and 1+2,1+2. Did it in less than 20 minutes.

I then decided to borrow my friends Regular Edition Madcatz SF4 stick from 2009 just to see if the hard stuff is any easier, even though I primarily play on pad. iSW from a standing position is way easier but during a combo or bound is harder (most likely a timing issue) while EWGF is actually way easier. On stick I can actually get F, N, D, DF:2 to come out with no spaces in between any inputs in the command history, and I wanna say i can get the drat thing to come out like 1/3 of the time instead of almost never on pad. Still can't play 2-D games on the drat stick though, especially KOF for some reason :I

So I guess my question is how difficult is it to replace the parts of a regular edition and what's the average price (assuming best possible buttons/stick)? I might be interested if I find any other characters or fighting games period easier on stick.

Its a good stick to mod, has a common ground and a solid PCB. The best stick on the market is the LS-58, but as Sanwa JLF or a LS-32 are also acceptable sticks. Depending on your game choice you may also prefer a Crown or Myongshin, which are better for games like Tekken because of their quick ability to return to center. There are some outlier sticks that only obsessed fans or people who really like American style arcade sticks use, stuff like the Suzo 500 and the IL Eurostick.

An LS-58 is 23 bucks, a JLF is similarly priced. LS-32's are usually a bit cheaper at about 18 dollars. Suzo's are only found on ebay for $$$ and Eurosticks are under 15 if you shop right.

You'll need at the least six buttons. Either Sanwa OBSF's or Seimitsu PS14K's which are 30mm buttons. Acceptable alternatives are Crown's and IL Competition Convex or Yenox Concave (especially if you have the 20 gram kind from Paradise Arcade).

Button price varies with the kind of buttons you get, but in general budget for three dollars per. If you get IL or Yenox's with the 20 Gram switches, they'll be a bit less, Seimitsu's are about a dollar more.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The diagonals on the SE and Brawlstick are bad and will not improve. The issue is the gate on the stick is incorrectly sized. You can replace the gate with one from a JLF and it will improve things but in reality you should just replace the stick and buttons.

The strength of the SE/Brawl is that its a strong platform for modding. The shell is decent and the PCB is good. The stock parts themselves kinda suck, but thats a given on any stick that doesn't come stock Sanwa/Seimitsu. The other issue is there isnt a way to do a plexiglass top, you have to do vinyl printing which is expensive and wears out pretty fast. If you want to get rid of the ugly Brawl art I would instead recommend covering it with 3M Di-Noc like so: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lopohdH7E01qzs0p3o1_500.jpg

Best stick on the market right now is the LS 58. I've never seen one mounted in a SE before but if it uses the same mounting plate as the LS32 than its possible.

EDIT: Don't buy from Lizard Lick, order from Focus Attack.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 15, 2012

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

2MB posted:

I got a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3SA about a year ago and my joystick just broke on me. I got a replacement JLF from Focus Attack but I can't seem to remove the screws that keep the mounting plate in. All my screw drivers seem to strip the screws. I've read online that there might be some glue to keep the screws in place? I don't see any though, nor would I know how to properly remove it. Any suggestions?

Can you access both sides of the screw? If so you need to grab the shaft with pliers and the top with your screwdriver.

Another option, does the JLF work in the Hori plate? If so you can just take the JLF out of its native plate and screw it into the one already in the stick.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Unless you're Wolfkrone sticks are better than pads. And this comes from someone who has played hundreds of hours of SFA2G on a pad.

If you do have to pad get a good one with six face buttons. I like the PS2 Nubbytech ones personally (the Xbox ones are bad for some reason).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you're gonna pad, do it right and get a saturn pad and run that poo poo through a converter. I guess you could use a 6 button Genesis pad as well, but that requires two converters, while the Saturn PS2 pad is only one.

Its basically PS2 Saturn Pad > Madcatz/Nubytech > Everything else

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I just want one with the saturn style six buttons, where the top lane is smaller than the bottom because it increases accessibility. But Sega aint gonna put out one because they love making a great product and then ditching it forever (see: Virtua Stick High Grade).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

washow posted:

It's not a fighting game question but I don't know where else to ask.

What are some super fun 3 - 4 player games you could play on emulators of any kind? Already got d&d covered.

Vendetta, motherfucking Vendetta. You can play as Hulk Hogan and Mr. T, there are a ton of guns and objects with which to break faces. Nuff said.

Also: X-Men Arcade, TMNT, The Simpsons, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Captain Commando, Warlords, Gauntlet: Legends, Cannon Spike, Spawn: In the Demons Hand, Saturn Bomberman, Champions of Norrath, Saturday Night Slam Masters, any N64/DC/PS1 Wrestling game with a create a player.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Six Of Spades posted:

I love that video, it's very clear and easy to follow (though I don't play KOF at all enough to benefit from it). Are there videos like that for other fighter series? I'm only really playing Blazblue at the moment, but learning about the mechanics of fighting games is fascinating, even if I don't play them.

Watch Dave Sirlin's Street Fighter 2 videos. Also Damdai's Super Turbo Saturdays videos. Then you will be better at Super Turbo than 90% of the people I play on Supercade and GGPO.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you pad on SF4 than Juri and DeeJay are really good characters to start with. Juri because she has no DP's which are your hardest thing on a pad, her strategy is extremely straight forward, she teaches you about pokes and her Engine is basically "how to do combo strings 101" the move. Deejay is good because in addition to being a very good charge character he can basically punish everything super well. He has killer range poke, a really strong anti air and extremely strong juggles. Once you Deejay well you can switch to just about any character and know exactly when to dish out your moves in order to punish.

And despite what people tell you, sticks and pads are of comparable cost. A stick will run you about 100 to 120, but a good pad will be 25-60 and will wear out over the course of six months or so with continuous play. You can't replace the parts in pads as easy either.

Plus the execution on games that don't telegraph the poo poo out of everything (see: SF4) means that you can't DP regularly on a pad like you can on a stick. You can dash and fireball much easier on a pad, do if you specialize in those characters than by all means pad away (see: Juri).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

S-Alpha posted:

Speaking of stickchat, what's the best spring to add a lot of input resistance to a stick? I currently have a doubled up spring in mine, and even that feels quite loose in the hand, often leading to a screwed up input.

Either what I have in there is too weak or I'm putting too much force into my inputs, but either way, I would like a bit more resistance when I'm trying to do something so that I don't accidentally go a little too far in one direction or another and screw something up. It feels like the slightest touch ends up setting off a couple switches.

OK, first off you need a stick with a larger dead zone. Spring resistance will only get you so far. If your using a JLF no matter how hard a spring you throw in there, the dead zone (the point in between when you move the stick and when the microswitches engage, counting as an input) is so small that you won't get very far.

If you're dead set on a JLF than your best bet is to file down the spring from a Happ or IL competition joystick.

The kind of stick you're looking for is one of the following:

-Seimitsu LS series (32 or 40 are your best bets)
-Zippyy, this is a very good Seimitsu knock off that has much stronger microswitches than a standard Seimitsu which will add more resistance.
-IL Competition, these sticks have large dead zones and very strong springs, they are the ones in American SF2 cabinets.
-Suzo 500, the be all and end all of stiff joysticks. Probably the best one ever made. They are rare as hell though, so expect to pay through the rear end for one if you desperately want one.
-The Seimitsu stick that was in the Neo Geo MVS is also really goood, but exceptionally rare. The closest you can get is stripping the stick from the Innovation dreamcast stick (which is a good clone but needs to be re-lubed because they use some cheap gross stuff that doesn't work). If you can find an old Neo Geo controller or stick, more power to you.

I would personally recommend you get a Zippyy and install a stronger spring in it. That will give you a J style stick with strong resistance and a medium sized deadzone. Plus if you don't like it they are only about 12 bucks or so.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 9, 2012

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

drugs and paint posted:

While we're on stick chat, I'm curious what y'all use for construction materials on your stuff; I'm looking at either ABS plastic (the stuff eightarc uses) or straight wood (got a buddy who can hook me up with something nice to use on the face so I figure why not make the whole drat thing out of it) for one i'm gonna start work on soon.

You want wooden walls with masonite tops and bottoms. You don't even need good wood. MDF will do if you sand it well and paint it a good color. If you can dovetail, that will be the best, but anchoring the sides to internal posts in another option. Really just read the section of Slagcoin. ABS isnt really a good option unless (like eightarc) you have access to a company that can manufacture cases for you (Qanba in their case) or if you have access to ABS molding gear (through a lab or something). Full plexi cases are doable as well but also fairly difficult. Metal can also work (see: VSHG) but should be avoided because of wiring issues they can cause.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Popehoist posted:

rather than a seimitsu 32 or 40, get yourself an LS-55. It has a ridiculously long throw and helped me correct my issues with going too far on some inputs, like my 236s becoming TKs. It has slightly stronger than average resistance but you will probably still want a better spring for your needs.

Yeah, the 55 is a solid stick, I just prefer the 40 when it comes down to long throw Japanese sticks. It probably has to do with playing on the old Capcom Power Stick for SNES, since that has an LS40 in it.

The advantage of the LS32 is that it also has some resale value since they are pretty common sticks. The 40 and 55 (especially since the 58 came out) are less common, and usually used more for shooters.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Groghammer posted:

I'm looking for a cheap, decent quality PS3 fightstick and so far found this sketchy $40 one and the Hori Fighting Stick V3. Are either of these good ideas? Are there alternatives?

The mayflash stick is pretty average TBH, but the steps for modding it are well documented. Also you can get it much cheaper than that (2 for 50 is common on ebay).

The best cheap PS3 stick (in my humble opinion) is the Qanba Professional Fighting Joystick (sometimes called the Q1) which can be had on ebay for about sixty bucks. Its easy to mod (but requires long shafted joysticks) and has a removable plexi top so you can change out the art.

The stock joystick is pretty bad (no worse than a hori one though) but the buttons are perfectly fine Seimitsu clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Naes posted:

Are there any active online fighting games for PC? I know there is SFxT coming out soon, and maybe skullgirls; I remember a few years ago people used to play 3rd strike online, anything like that still exist? what do people on PC play?

Supercade is good and has a big community of people who play a variety of games. The most played are probably KOF2k2 and Super Turbo, but I've played matches of much more obscure and strange games with people.

If you need to learn Super Turbo, then watch Dave Sirlin's tutorial videos and Damdai's (also the guy who made Supercade) excellent Super Turbo Saturdays.

• Locked thread