Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I thought there was an option to give the characters tights or something like that? Just turn that on and play it, it looks like a pretty fun game and you won't have to worry about pantyshots turning you into a sexual deviant. Otherwise, I dunno, just don't play it? It's not like the scene will be all that big.

So, anyway. KOF XIII. What are the chances that Americans will pick up that game? The series was popular as all hell here in Brazil and the rest of South America, but I feel like even at its apex, it wasn't all that popular in the USA. Am I right? If it becomes somewhat popular, you'll start seeing a lot more of South Americans at big majors, I'd wager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That game is actually pretty fun to waste some minutes with, didn't know Sirlin made card games/whatever the hell those are.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Since my only online-ready gaming device here is my PC, I'm praying that Skullgirls will get a PC release without much delay.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tamagod Sushi posted:

The Society of Like Minded Gentlemen for Sparring in Electronic Entertainment

I actually like this one, use Dudley as the mascot and drink tea during meetings.

Or you could call it the Hospital's Laundry Room.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Wavedashing isn't that easy and just-frame stuff takes practice too. Now, I haven't played Tekken decently since Tekken 3, but it wasn't that easy execution-wise, it's just a different type of execution than SFIV or Marvel.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

scrooger posted:

To say chess has no entry barrier is just being ignorant. A new chess player would be absolutely dominated by anyone who had half a clue.

No execution barrier was what he meant, but yeah, chess is so complex people write books on openings - and if you wanna be okay-ish you better know at least a bit about that, and mid-game strategies, and bishop pressure poo poo I can't remember the name for right now, and a ton of other stuff.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Wezlar posted:

Man I don't want to grind my brain to be good at this poo poo.... Can we just have a rock paper scissors tournament guys?

Not the point. Actually, I just wanted to put poo poo in perspective. Compared to chess, fighting games are way too simple in terms of strategy, to a point where execution actually adds another layer of complexity to the game that'd be missed if it was taken away.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Waterbed posted:

Also I think knowledge is a barrier of entry people refuse to admit exists. If you removed execution most bad players who think they're good would get stomped anyway, but they'll probably just blame something else.

I'll echo this. I find out that most matches I lose in SFIV, it's because I don't know how to react with my character to what the other guy's doing. I play great against 'Gief and Ibukis because I know I can pressure with cl.MK and not get thrown or that I should throw fireballs and zone with my st.MK and HK in the first one, and that I can punish blocked Neckbreakers really hard and fireball-zone Ibuki until she has meter, but if I play a matchup I seldom play, like Rufus or El Fuerte, I'm hosed.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I actually enjoy playing SFIV, but I personally think they could've done without one-frame links (or at least so many 1f links), I dunno if anyone agrees. It's such a narrow window that is actually made pointless by plinking in many cases, so why the hell have it in the first place? It just makes the game even more reversal-happy.

Feel free to point out why I'm stupid for thinking that, tho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On a somewhat related tangent, doesn't Guilty Gear have a mechanic where inputs are repeated for a few frames if they're entered during the active or recovery frames of another move?

Blazblue has something like that too, IIRC. It's repeated for five frames or something like that. Maybe I'm thinking about the wrong game, tho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sade posted:

Ms. Fortune is the only one who's even a little bit gruesome? There's like no blood in the game at all besides her. And her whole schtick is that she's a zombie catgirl with detachable body parts. I think it's a little egregious to jump straight from "made a zombie catgirl character with detachable body parts for an indie fighting game" to "the artist probably jacks off to intestines 14 times a day."

One thing that Something Awful taught me was that, if I don't like a certain art-style, and it envolves anything that can be considered a fetish - which is everything nowadays - that probably means the artist is an irredeemable, disgusting freak.

Although, to be fair, that's a natural defense mechanism in the Internet.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

40 OZ posted:

I've never played one of these games. Why is that?

Because you have no friends. :smug:

Oh, wait, you meant why it's fun. It's easy to pick up, since the inputs are simple, and it's pretty. MvC3 is flashy, but even doing magic series xx air magic series is too complicated for some of my friends, so having a game like Soul Calibur is a good compromise between me being stuck playing Fifa all night long and them being completely lost and not having fun.

Oh, wait, you meant why it's not competitive. Beats me, I'm guessing balance and Tekken being a(the) superior 3D game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I feel it's long overdue for a crying Brazilian flag, especially after that one.

Chronicles of a Saga is such a dumb subtitle.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Play Paul, he's almost a shoto in his boringness and simplicity.

I wonder how much Jun sucks now, in TTT she was pretty bad and my Nina did all the work.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

They did. :v:

But then they gave me Asuka, so I'm fine with it. I just like 1+4, I dunno why, maybe because it used to annoy the gently caress out of people at the arcades I played. :-P

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Groghammer posted:

She even says "Fiber Uppercut" like Sagat :swoon:

It's Tiger Robocop, okay? And Guile has the Alex Full.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Parasoul is probably the easiest cosplay of all time, now that you've brought this up: sweater/skirt or a short dress; a parasol/umbrella.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

chumbler posted:

I feel like people would for the most part care less about balance as long as the best characters are interesting and not one dimensional or brain dead.

Also it seems like fighting games are developing their own hipster scene.

Actually, I think this is a fair point. Let's take MvC2 as an example again. The top tiers in that game were far and above everyone else, but the amount of work and strategies required to play made them interesting. On the other hand, Yun just feels like bullshit with his incredibly safe, incredibly dangerous pressure that's not even that hard to execute.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
And there's also the fact that some people don't learn well under pressure, and would benefit a lot more from playing casuals, something that's especially true at a lower level of play.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, the people that play fighting games around here are apparently kinda into Melty Blood, so I guess I'm picking that game up since they won't play SFIV, the only game I'm competent at. I'm loving around as H-VSion right now, which I guess is one of the strongest characters so good on me. Any pointers for someone that's very new to airdash fighters and that would rather sit full screen from people spamming projectiles?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mio Bison posted:

If you're like me and can only learn by ripping people off Spooky's probably the best H-VSion in America and since he only recorded/streamed Melty before SSF4 there's a decent amount of footage out there. Akiha summon :patriot:

...wait, Spooky is good at a game? I'll check some of his videos out.

Thanks ShinsoBEAM! for the tips. The whole Reverse Beat thing is taking a while to make sense for me but it seems like it makes everything that's cancellable pretty safe and leads to a ton of blockstrings.

Also, my "scene" is really, really small, about six people at most. It's just that the guy that usually hosts our sessions is really into Melty Blood, he's a mod at the Brazilian MB forum and poo poo, and since the other guys played a bunch of Guilty Gear/Blazblue/Marvel, we tend to play that game a lot.

Maybe I'll stop being the incredible turtle that I am because of that, hehe.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Jaha can be funny in small amounts, but I get tired of him after a while. And that video with Winrich makes him sound like that uncle. I'm not even gonna do the whole "I'm offended" thing, because I love Chris Hu and the guy's offensive as all hell.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, the mysogyny should stop. During NEC, Persia and Nina did some commentary for Marvel, and Persia actually knows her poo poo, although she's not fuckin' Yipes or anything like that. But all you could see in the stream chat was "get this fuckin' bitches out of here" and variants there of, to stay with a tame example.

It got extremely annoying after a while, because they wouldn't say anything that wasn't direct offenses to the girls and flooded the chat with that. And okay, stream monsters will be stream monsters, but you get people on the mic reinforcing that type of behavior too. gently caress MLG and if they support us/we support them, poo poo like this is the most basic step to be treated as a legit competitive thing.

That's not me being all whiny about stupid jokes, I love offensive jokes, but you can notice when someone is actually being serious behind that sort of comment, especially when that's all they can say even after there's no girls to be seem on the stream.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Yeah that's kinda the problem with offensive jokes. They're you know, offensive. They offend people. How joking you think you are really doesn't make that big a difference

True that, but there's a world of difference between a Louis CK standup set and "hurr fat bitches show me your tits or get out", being offensive as a form of satire a la A Modest Proposal, etc, etc. Anyway, this is derailing this thread and we got another one for this sort of discussion.

Anyone gonna play Tekken Tag 2? I know you lot are allergic to 3D fighters, but Tekken Tag is pretty fast-paced and actually entertaining to watch. Unfortunately, my low-tier bitch condition flared up and Jun/Asuka apparently suck in this game. Not that Jun was good in TTT, quite the opposite. Fuckin' Mishimas.

EDIT: vvv that is true, I'm one of them, hehe. The only player that picked that team up in NEC got blown up pretty badly too.

Dias fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 6, 2011

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

iPodschun posted:

Actually, she is fuckin' Yipes. Persia is his girlfriend.

...and that's why you need to be careful in your usage of expletives, people.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

interrodactyl posted:

e2: The characters in the trial will be Sion, Vsion, Arc, and WArc

Yay, VSion.

Wait, isn't there any chance they can get this on Steam or something? I mean, it's coming out for PC.

Dias fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 7, 2011

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

PSWII60 posted:

So I understand that the 360 pad is terrible for fighting games and I haven't played a fighting game at more than a basic casual level since Soul Calibur 2, I'd love to get good at Ultimate. I've never really felt comfortable, or competent, with a stick and I always used the D-pad for motions over an analog stick. I remember the PDP fightpad getting some buzz, but is that a decent option? Are the motions accurate on the fightpad's thumbstick, or is that more of a lost cause and I may as well just use the stock pad in that case? Or is this maybe more of a just buy a stick, get used to it, and shut up kind of thing?

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, these games are playable with a pad. I can't vouch for the PDP one, although people say good things about it, but even the stock Dual Shock is good enough. If you can get one and an adaptor, or a PS2 one and an adaptor, you should be fine. The 360 controller has a lovely d-pad, tho.

Also, you can one-button dash in Marvel and that's a godsend.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Again, the whole ease-of-access to the insides of the stick is something new to non-custom arcades, isn't it? Thing is, what sort of "features" would you add? I can't think of anything that'd be useful.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Schmendrick posted:

I'm a little surprised no one's capping on pads for people who want to go that route* without Ebaying for a Saturn pad. Yea, sticks will always be preferred, but a pad with a decent d-pad controller with a 6 button layout for $40-60 would be nice (Madcats fight pads are atrocious, and once a pdp stick goes awry, good luck using it in a game like KoF).

*Could someone link the converter/adapter that lets you use a PS3 pad on the 360 that was posted earlier?

Well, Hori pads are supposed to be pretty good - I'm still waiting to test mine, it's at my parents' house.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jmcrofts posted:

No but she's a secret :keke:

Is she another zoning character please say yes I suck at charge characters and playing Parasoul/Peacock will leave an empty hole in my soul.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Is Peacock and charge character???

Parasoul is, I should've made my post clearer.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Every fuckin fighter has an anime cast too soo good luck with your bet

Mortal Kombat, bitch. It's all about gore and tits, provided they look big enough and are coupled with the gore, because that's how America rolls.

But really, can we avoid this line of argument? People get bitchy about anime and won't play good games because of it - even when the art style isn't anime, but whatever. On the other side, people will play poo poo just because it's extremely GLORIOUS NIPPON-like - even if the art style isn't anime again. We should all just shut the gently caress up about it before the thread goes to hell and do something more worthwhile, like bitching at Capcom for not having patched the loving PC version of AE yet, you assholes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Oh so, critiquing a game's art direction is out of bounds now?

This is why there needs to be a Skullgirls thread, so you dudes can migrate and post over there to your hearts' content.

Nah, as long as you substantiate your claims and don't sound like you're just fishing for an argument - and fishing arguments with BL is a bit too easy - I'm fine with that. Since I think I saw a ninja edit happen, I'll try and argue this in a civil fashion. What exactly is the issue you have with the art style?

In terms of the art itself, it's not fantastic, but it's not hideous either. Some characters are better than others, granted - Peacock is great, for instance -, and although it is a bit "sexualized", I don't think it goes any further than any mainstream fighting game we have right now, to be honest. And this comes from a guy that plays prude Rose on SSFIV, hehe. I think we can both agree the BGs are really good and so is the UI so far - it's unfinished, I'll wager. Plus, the effort put into animating kinda makes me give the game a break on art shortcomings.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Peacock is definitely my favorite character so far. I like the diversity of the cast and the uniqueness of each character, but as far as how characters look, well I wish they leaned more towards Peacock overall than say valentine. Maybe the new character will be a strong buff man in a codpiece to balance it out?? I dunno. Peace.

From what I've seen, the male designs they've shown are actually better than the girls, and they are supposed to be DLC.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

40 OZ posted:

Everyone has an easier time doing 2P dp's/hadokens because you are pulling instead of pushing.

It uses way less muscles and if you play with a loose grip a 1P hado/DP can involve your whole arm which is cancer for muscle memory.

Really? I don't play stick, but 1P DPs are easier for me to do than 2P DPs on a stick. Just draw a Z.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Follow Brosnan's lead and shut the gently caress up about this, please, or take it to a more relevant thread.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Are there any news about the KoF inspired Chinese fighting game Xuan Dou Zhi Wang?

Can any Chinese-reading goons tell us what system is it for, and whether it will see international release?

Wow, this game is so "KoF" it hurts, some of the characters are pretty much copy-pasted from there.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jmcrofts posted:

that's close, but not quite right. You can't start a section of a combo with a move you've already used at all in that combo. Nothing is remembered from the first ground section of your combo, and you can't trigger an infinite during your first jump.

That reminds me of Melty Blood combo system, sort of.

EDIT: also, Melty demo needs to allow me to one-button dash.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

interrodactyl posted:

SF4 ruined my execution. Why is Melty so hard?

It's not that hard, you just need to get used to the timing, really.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm the saltiest of the salty motherfuckers now. Why did I had this brilliant idea to get a new controller, now my muscle memory is all hosed up and I can't do half the poo poo I need to do to win with Rose. I'm losing to terrible players and they are farming me for points, this sucks. At least it's easier to play charge characters now and I'm getting my Guile on.

Now posted in the correct place for bitching. Ugh. I feel like punching someone in the face right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lord Chumley posted:

Son, you better hope to God you hit those 1 frame links OR I'M GETTING THE loving BELT.

Execute or be executed. Your choice.

• Locked thread