Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Why do people assume if you don't like the new popular games you don't like anything since SF2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Gutcruncher posted:

For reference, Skullgirls has been in production since before Street Fighter 4 was released.

That's a completely disingenuous comparison.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I reuploaded the B3 video since whoever had it up before deleted it. Even if you don't have time to watch the whole thing the grand finals are worth watching.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Tae posted:

It could've been because SF4 was the most lenient and easiest execution version to date, especially compared to Third Strike.

3S has probably the most lenient and easiest execution after SF4...

edit: not to mention BnB poo poo is way easier

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 29, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
3D is way harder to parse quickly IMO which is really the most important thing in fighters, especially something like Marvel where the state of the game can change a lot from moment to moment. I guess there's no reason it has to be that why but for everything thus far it has been. Also the animation in SF4 and MvC3 is pretty tragic compared to 2D games. SF4 especially, stuff seems to ignore fundamental rules of animation and thus has very little snap to it. Even SF2, with its very limited frames, looks better just by virtue of having very good keyframes.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 29, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Hopefully the BlazBlue team thing is a mistranslation otherwise ugh

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
lol

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Cat Machine posted:

I kinda wish the Personas weren't bound to certain characters... It would be cool if it worked like Arcana in AH, where you chose before the fight and got different character properties/options based on your choice!!

I'm really tired of Japan's attempts to half-rear end some kind of assist system. MvC2 already did it perfectly and it's tired as gently caress by now. I don't think Jojo's would have been improved by this feature.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
USA Top Tier Chun Li

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
The numbers next to the bottom bars are just how full that bar is. The one below the health bar is presumably guard meter. I do wonder why it's segmented and why it's greyed out in some images though.

Judging from the number of bars the system looks less convoluted than BB which can only be a good thing.

Looks like you can make your super bar longer somehow... one char has 6 stocks and all the 4 stock bars have 2 black lines on the side.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 31, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

von Braun posted:

From what I understand, tiers in Super Turbo don't really exist anymore.

Where did you hear that?

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I would expect that kind of mystical nonsense of 3S players but not ST players, who are generally more grounded. Arcadia still makes ST matchup charts and there's still a decent gap between the top and bottom characters.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Tier lists are not based on tournament results. Why do people always say this?

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Opinions of top players.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Mochiballs posted:

This is the worst part about it to me because top players debate match ups all day.

It's almost like tier lists aren't the be-all-end-all of the reality of the game.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
The conflation of "tier list" with "matchup chart" is a recent phenomenon I think.

ZerodotJander posted:

I've heard Damdai say something similar to this, the way I understood him is that it's not so much "tiers don't exist" as that Super Turbo is a game where every character has an answer to everything.

That's weird, I think this is way less true of ST than many other games, and it's a better game for it.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Nothing wrong with using the tier list to help you pick a character so long as you're smart about it, i.e. not just "this character is the best so I will use them!"

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

South Town guy posted:

Despite the attempts at a ratio system, I still get the feeling in tournaments everyone will go for 3 characters to maximize their odds, as it happened in the CvS(2) tournaments.

In CvS2 a ratio 3 character has a 117% HP and 130% damage advantage over a Ratio 1 character. In Skullgirls it's 225% for both, so it's not even close to comparable.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 2, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Thongboy Bebop is a tester? That guy has an account, where the hell he at.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Oh my god I can't breathe http://forums.sirlin.net/showthread.php?t=5692

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________
|A's strategy \ B's strategy ->-i'|-i-i Meta Knight Strategy-i-i-i-i-i|-i-i-i-i Non Meta Knight Strategy-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i ''''|
|_________________________'''|____________________ ______'''|________________________________________ ___________''|
|Meta Knight Strategy-i-i-i-i-i-i '|-i-i[-i0-i,-i0-i ]-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i '|-i-i-i [30 , -5]-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i '-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i''''|
|.._________________________|.. ________________________'''|______________________ ____________________________'''''|
|Non Meta Knight Strategy-i-i-i '|-i-i[-i-5-i,-i30-i]-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i'''|-i-i-i-i [15, 15]-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i '''|
|.._________________________|.. _________________________|________________________ __________________________'''''|

The top left cell averages 0 fun per player, the second and third average 12.5 fun per player, the fourth averages 15 fun per player.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

absolutely anything posted:

Winning is the most important thing for me to have fun, so the increased probability of winning from the character select screen will be assigned 20 fun points.

ahaahhahahaahhajhaajdg oh my loving god

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Banning the the Meta Knight strategy here increases the total amount of fun experienced in every match from zero per player to fifteen per player.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Fun Points are the Bitcoin of Smash Bros.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Ratio 3 Cerebella worries me a bit. Grapplers are already all-or-nothing kind of characters and when you're killing a character off one combo (especially in this kind of game where losing a character is really bad) that's going to be even more exaggerated. Seems like it has the potential to be pretty drat random.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I really, really dislike A3. It's similar to SF4 in how everything feels nerfed and crappy. This isn't a high-level analysis so obviously V-ism has nothing to do with it, the game just feels bad. Everything has crappy priority and recovery and VCs are like the only fun thing to do in the game. There's a bajillion characters but you have to play them all so dry. I hate the teching system too. On the plus side it does have V-shoto b+RH though which should have become standard because it's really cool.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 12, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Karin is one of the few characters I think is kind of cool in that game actually. I like Rolento and Sakura too, as far as I can tell they're largely the same as their A2 versions. V-Akuma is pretty cool too. Shame about fireballs sucking rear end and sweep not being cancelable for no apparent reason though.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 12, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I love A2 but I remember when GGPO first came out and Alphaism did a thing about the game, Valle said after a year or two everyone was just begging for something else to play and he didn't really seem enthused about revisiting those days. It's not really relevant to me at all but I get the impression the game degenerates significantly at high level where standing up within footsie range can lead to a 30-90% combo depending on meter. Combine that with some crazy damaging ACs (some of which lead into CC, lol) and I imagine the game gets pretty loving turtly at high levels. Japan certainly never had much regard for it, Daigo called it a "kid's game" or something, lol.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I think the hacky A3 airthrows look awesome!!

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
MK9 is A Good Game

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

40 OZ posted:

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2011/7/18/atp-podcast-mortal-kombat-special-feat-arturo-sanchez-and-li.html

LI Joe, Art, and Aris seem to disagree. They say its a good first effort but the more time they put in it, the more they realized the game was bad. This podcast is a good listen if you haven't heard it.

They aren't slamming the game the entire time at all, and they go into detail into what works and what doesn't.

edit- They also say that the game really hasn't been explored enough because the scene is so small, but part of it is how the game isn't easy to crack. That is, the training mode is rear end, there is "no frame data," etc.

There is also a great discussion about balance patching.

Aris is a loving whiner like a lot of MK people.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah that doesn't mean mk9 isn't a bad game though (it is)

Better than TvC

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
It would be cool if you guys didn't have to have a page-long pile-on every time someone says "pantyshot".

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Endorph posted:

My problems with skullgirls don't have anything to do with the anime art style and everything to do with the pantyshots. I'll still probably end up playing it since it looks fun but I just can't help but wonder why they felt the need to put those in. Especially so goddamn many.

Because the dude who created the IP is your typical anime weirdo? Seems pretty obvious, idk.

It's kind of disappointing that they're limiting their potential audience by doing this poo poo but what are you gonna do? The people driven enough to make a new IP sprite-based 2D fighter in 2011 are going to be weirdos with weird interests. Why else would there be so many anime little girl fighters?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

S-Alpha posted:

Yeah, gently caress those goddamn Americans, always stealing my stuff for absolutely zero reason at all, gently caress that poo poo man, fight the system, DOWN WITH THE GOVERNMENT.

Agreed.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

PalmTreeFun posted:

By the way, shoutouts to paymentplan for putting up with my noob Ryu in Super Turbo last night.

Went back and learned his normals and a couple BnB's though. Also worked on getting shoryukens to come out on a 360 pad. Hopefully I won't be as terrible if I play again.

I can't even imagine trying to get ST DPs to come out consistently on a 360 pad.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
HDR has easier inputs!

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Sade posted:

depending on who you ask, ST has a handful. Guile vs Honda, Guile vs Zangief. Probably O-Sagat vs grapplers.

Vega vs. Guile, Dhalsim vs. Guile, Cammy vs. Gief, Honda vs. Cammy/Zangief, DJ vs. Honda, Dhalsim vs. Sagat are probably just as bad as those. I don't know about 9-1 though.

edit: The only 9-1 matchup on the Arcadia diagram is Dhalsim vs. n.Sagat. It doesn't have old chars on there though. The only 8.5-1.5s are Honda vs. Gief, Dhalsim vs. Guile, Cammy vs. Hawk (which surprises me, I thought Cammy vs. Gief was worse but then I'm probably thinking of o.Hawk) and DJ vs. Honda.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 1, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I'm gonna have to back out of the ST tournament I like sleep too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

SpaceBees posted:

Its OK, its nice of you to step out of a tournament where you would mercilessly body everyone. :)

Hahaha no but judging by the results and how rusty Fingers seemed when we played the other day I think 2nd was a possibility. babyburps69 is like at least 10 times better than me though.

Cat Machine posted:

I'm pretty sure Pol went 0-2 in the last ST tournament iirc

I don't remember this which either means it didn't happen or it was so long ago that I'm a lot, lot better now anyway.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 4, 2011

• Locked thread