Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

SC2 only had G2, which affected being able to block mids/highs when you normally shouldn't be able to after being GI'd, or Nightmare could use it after having 3[B] blocked to make his offense much safer. Could be annoying, but there were easy ways around it and it didn't cause any stupid visual animations. G22 in SC3 was a much bigger problem. It looked terrible, and could lead to guaranteed high damage or ROs (most notably after Lizardman's command throw) from throws, and made stuff like Mitsu's 88B practically risk-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I'm more concerned that it's coming out so soon. I guess they really aren't going to put much effort into this one. Unsurprising I suppose.
Given one of Daishi's earlier tweets mentioned something about publisher deadlines, and them being reasonably open to feedback during the various demos they've done to the international community so far, I don't think lack of effort will be the main cause if it turns out disappointing.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Zand posted:

Are you sure? The series feels more rigid and canned the longer it goes on. It just isn't that fun of a game when there are so many defensive options and only canned offense.
No, he made a generally accurate assessment. I'll grant you III and IV were not overall as fun as I and II, and the 22G glitch from III really hurt the perception of the series.

That said, what I've seen of V so far seems like it should alleviate some of your complaints. Many universal defensive options either cost meter (GI), are not easy to do (JG), or have an obvious counter (quick-step). Canned offense is present in every major 3D fighter, but I think the addition of EX/Supers and hopefully better frames should help there.

I'll see for myself once I get some playtime w/ the build at NEC. If it ends up no different, but at least I'll have given it a try. I'm very interested in seeing how the movement feels and if the offense really is any more flexible.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

From the majority that have played the builds at NEC and SCR, SC5 impressions have been quite positive.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Medullah posted:

Don't we already have this game, and it's called Tekken?

Oh, yeah Tekken totally solves the problem, I'll play that instead.

/Gets hit by full-screen, almost instant, unblockable cheap pew-pew laser

This game is full of cheaters too, I'm not playing anymore! :argh:

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

In Virtua Fighter, pressing guard clears the input buffer. It's done because the buffer window for strings is fairly large, so pressing guard in the middle of a string lets you start another string or move at the earliest possible moment reliably. Really useful.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I would feel better about links if they consistently got harder relative to attack power. Like, I don't think having to link lights should be a thing at all. Light to medium should be maybe 3-4 frames, medium to heavy 1-2 frames, light to heavy either 1 frame or not possible. And remove plinking. Not saying that's a practical solution to a well-established game with lots of characters, just how I would prefer.

Also I hope that's not how it already works, haha. I only played SFIV a little when it first came out.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Considering how fast she is I'd have figured Karula would have a worse matchup. The one good Chizuru I've ever played ran a drat train on my Karula, it was disorienting.

Most everyone shits on Riannon somehow. Even Oboro.

This is closer to my experience, playing Karula against a good Chizuru, though it was at least fairly close. It's really hard to react to her dash and (properly spaced) really hard to punish as well. Spaced right, her jump-in will trade with Karula's normally amazing 2B. I'd like to see some Japanese vids of this match-up, see what they're doing differently, because it feels even at best to me. If anybody would have an advantage, I'd figure it would be Tamaki. But our best player uses Sasara and consistently beats Chizurus.

Oboro is semi-viable, just thanks to j.C. Riannon is great... at near full-screen, and pretty much nowhere else, sadly. The most hilarious match-up though is Multi vs Manaka, that floaty jump of Multi makes it incredibly hard to get in.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I've always played using PS3 sticks, but it seems I have to get another stick now. Due to Evo being on 360 now, and my old SF4 TE sticks never being recognized on random laptops when I want to play <insert random poverty PC game here>. So I need a stick that will work on 360 and PC, and I guess it'd be nice if it worked on PS3 as well. Should I just go with a Qanba, and what's the difference between a Q2 and a Q4?

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

In a way, I'm happy XIII is my first KoF game, because it's hard for me to be too disappointed with Maxima since I don't know what I'm missing. :v:

He's got noticeable flaws (main one being, as mentioned, empty jumps into lows or command throw are a major pain), but somehow he's my best character. Getting past good zoning is also hard, if you play him like most people (on point, where he has little meter). I run him anchor and make sure I save meter to work with, then people have to be way more careful about zoning and less than perfectly timed safe jumps (236236A+C is AMAZING for blowing up both of them). Seriously, that super alone makes him so much more threatening for reaction punishes. Still doesn't make him comparable to the actual good characters, but definitely helps alleviate his flaws. I wish his command throw had guard point as well or something.

And is there an SA Steam group for KoF? Sure it's been mentioned, but I can't find it.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Tae posted:

Post your steam ID.

Here it is.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

rivals posted:

Yeah that seems a bit high for Sasara though as a Konomi player it seems right haha. That matchup is a pain.

I dunno, Sasara has flaws, but in practice she's pretty strong ime against her. I wouldn't put her lower than that. Maybe it's just me, but I swear she somehow guard breaks faster than any other character.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Actually, a netplay patch was released just yesterday for AquaPazza, according to HomingCancel forums. And, while still not being perfect, has improved performance. And now it's out for $30 and is fun, give it a try. My copy is arriving today, though I probably won't be able to try online until later this week.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Had fun playing some AquaPazza last night. Didn't wait long at all between matches, and I'd say the connections were playable, though not lagless. If anybody runs into a color-coordinated Karulau/Serika combination on Ranked, that's probably me.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

PunkBoy posted:

YOU CANNOT...ESCAPE...WRONG DEF. Geese Howard owns.

I heard it as "long death" for the longest time, so he wasn't gonna just kill ya, he was gonna make you suffer, too.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Lynx Winters posted:

A common assist for Touka players is Rina because you can confirm into standing C+D, dash cancel, C, dash, repeat until the assist ends for pretty good damage.

As a Karulau player, I can tell you some things to look out for:

One, don't jump. Just don't do it. Karu's crouching B will stop nearly everything you do in the air, and can be cancelled into super.
Two, the best range for you is just outside of her crouching B range. When you stand outside of cr.B then you can more or less push C any time you want.

Karu's C attacks, dash, and fireballs are all slower than your C, and her B is duckable at that range. Any button Karulau pushes that's not A take about six years to recover, so your main goal is to bait something out and then stay on her since Karulau doesn't really have much in terms of get-off-me moves.

I main Karulau as well, and this matchup advice is solid. Staying just out of her 2B range is especially important, when you're at neutral. When jumping in with Touka at neutral, unassisted, you should be positioned so the tip of j.C connects kinda late in the jump, no closer. Difficult for Karulau to get a clean anti-air there. Then dash in or short hop and j. C again during the block stun.

Also, if you get a hard knockdown (especially in the corner), you can jump in right on top of her or crossup on her wake up freely. Only Karulau's 2B covers that area, and it isn't viable in this situation.

You all can add me as well, PSN is longshot1gg.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Y'all can't be posting Chaos Code music (solid OST) and not post the most hype track, Eleganza.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Told myself I was going to wait for the domestic release of AH3LM, but got talked into going in on the disc import, so I'm looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

A good number of people in my area weren't impressed at the gameplay they saw from Dengeki, but Nitro Blasterz gameplay videos has them more interested. I plan on giving it a chance when it comes out.

• Locked thread