Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

whip posted:

As a Tekken fan, is SFxT even worth buying? :shobon:

I made a few posts recently about this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Is SxT really as slow as it looks? I never played SF4, but I always enjoyed watching streams of it. I tried watching some of Arturo's stream of SxT, and it was the most godawful boring fighting game I've watched. The characters are so big it seems like their pokes go across a quarter of the screen, and they have a geriatric walking pace and just slowly float through the air when jumping.

The damage is also terrible, excluding infinites.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

uncleKitchener posted:

Tag 2 is just BR with Tag.

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no peg.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

kaujot posted:

Eightarc.

What this too cool for school guy is talking about, is this website, with a clickable link: http://eightarc.com/

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
How often does that site restock? Almost every single item I look at is sold out.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
So looking at their twitter tweet teeet page they say this on March 19:

@LorenzoCalleja should be restocking in 1-2 weeks.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

may contain peanuts posted:

On the other hand CD Jr only plays MK9 on stick and he just won MLG so there's probably something to that.

Like what?

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
Just want to confirm, SC5 at MLG was using a pre-patch version, and the one at NCR was using a patched version... right? I didn't get to see much of the latter stream.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

bleep posted:

The good news is hopkicks have been nerfed a bit. The Tekken Zaibatsu forums are working on translating the change list right now. http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=123451

She was buffed in TTT2 and was considered mid tier I think. I've never played against her outside of ghost battle though.

Crash has always had odd/non top tier characters being used well and even winning. I don't really like to use people in another country(where the culture ensures they get paid) with no "real" job with nothing to do but play this game as my metric for what characters are considered good... especially when they play each other all the time, that's a huge factor in Tekken type games moreso than any other imo.

The Balance Niggy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 27, 2012

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Jmcrofts posted:

There's no reason that 2 on 1 couldn't be reasonable, it just looks (for now) like they went too far.

Reasonable by what metric? 2x1 is blasphemy for a lot of older Tag players. It makes absolutely no sense to us, nor can can we fathom how a developer will balance this correctly(they aren't) given the "balancing" we've seen over the last 5 years. It doesn't make sense to risk it because someone is too loving lazy to learn another character or doesnt like the "Tag" aspect, which is in the name of the god drat game.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Jmcrofts posted:

Reasonable as in not broken. I'm not sure if it actually will be broken, but it certainly comes off that way in these early videos.

You have a lot of faith then I guess! Wish I had that.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
Why is Skisonic relevant? Who is he I can't remember

Also, Gootecks was blazed as gently caress when he was on with ultradavid too

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

PonchAxis posted:

Yeah he was really vague and calm about it so when the whole "gently caress You" thing happened it took me by surprise.

Regardless of the rumors, like the past two(maybe more?) streams I saw him on he was CLEARLY baked. People were trying to explain it as tired, which I bought for a bit, until his gigglefits kicked in and Ultradavid sat there like the robot-mannequin company man he is trying to trudge through commentary.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

AndyElusive posted:

Gootecks has a gigglefit during commentary with UltraDavid and because UltraDavid is so completely not funny the only logical conclusion is that Gootecks must be totally baked on marijuana. Ya I guess that makes sense.

Did you see the stream or are you being facetious?

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Mega Comrade posted:

Unless you claw the controller this is really hard on a pad.

Almost every single pad player I have met "claws" if they play in tournaments, a very select few don't though

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah, Wolfkrone and Fanatiq who are probably the 2 most successful 2d FG pad players right now both do a normal grip and not claw, so do a lot of others.

Those are "new" players and 2d players, should have been specific to timeframe and format(3d)

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Jmcrofts posted:

It's significantly worse than the rest of the series, so yeah I think people should know if they plan on buying it at least partially for the single player.

I can't stress this enough. It was so bad I was laughing at it every time it tried to get serious and eventually mashed X through everything to get the characters.

The netcode is INCREDIBLY good when it works.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Mega Comrade posted:

2v2 looks like it will become the standard so no it won't replace AE. At least not yet.

Really? That's pretty crazy

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Brosnan posted:

It's not that strange because no one knows what the gently caress Jojo's is.

Every snobby 2d player I know won't ever stop talking about it when it's brought up. That and Power Stone, the only 3d game worth their time apparently

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Nerokerubina posted:

why would they put aris in this jesus christ.

More importantly, what exactly is this promo for? I went to the main page, read the "article" and couldn't find any info. This just sounds like more dickriding and turning FGs into a terrible celebrity like cult where people literally stand in line to get their sticks signed by people like Gootecks and Mike Ross.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Zaa Boogie posted:

How in the hell did you jump to *that* conclusion?

Are you incapable of seeing what has happened to FGs and the community as a whole in the last 4 years? More importantly the last two.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

bleep posted:

Please change solo mode damage/rages before console release. :pray:

It was so good before...

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
I have a new stick now with a sanwa in it, as well as buttons. I've had a madcatz TE before and never noticed this:

When I push the stick up, kinda hard, and move it side to side I hear and feel this thump. It sounds like its rolling over something. This happens at the middle point on each side of the gate if I press hard enough or "Marvel" the stick.

Does this just need to be broke in or is there something else up?

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

rivals posted:

I've never noticed that before in new sticks or microswitch assemblies. You may want to pop it open and see if there's something going on in there.

This is one response I got "in the joystick theres this washer that is nested in the black holder that holds the pcb and the gate restrictor to prevent the black holder to chip since its plastic
i had that too and i just superglued the washer to the black holder so it would stop moving around"

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Brosnan posted:

That's pretty awesome.

What is even going on? it looks like I saw Kaz's string he got in T4 repeated(the first half) over and over until the kick. Is this some kind of blocking training mixed with TEST YOUR MIGHT/ Destroy Barrels ?

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Cakeequals posted:

So, I was looking to mod my Qanba Q4RAF stick, but no one seems to know for sure what size the start button is. I've heard 24mm, but I'm not sure if that applies to the normal version or just some weird SE. Does anyone here happen to know?

I bet eightarc would know simply because of the partnership, I would email them.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Dandy J posted:

i watched the vid and read the article. are they trying to say that mashing buttons really fast makes you better at tekken?

This is what a lot of people already believe so maybe

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Broken Loose posted:

Soul Calibur 5's netcode is not so much good as it is okay but the game itself is very slow and has a huge input buffer so online is no slower than offline.

What are you talking about?

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Wozbo posted:

You... You really have no idea what the hell you are talking about, do you? I'm not going to whip out my engineering e-peen and start network sniffing, but SC V is pretty good at handling a lot more data at reasonable latencies.

NINJA EDIT: Anyone ever confirm/ deny the 3x the bandwidth thing?

I would pay more attention to the part where he says it lags without being online.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

He's right in that it's still delay-based and no delay-based netcode, no matter how good, can reasonably be considered anything better than decent. The fact that the game works very well with it is another issue.

Can someone please explain to me this really vaguely referenced "input buffer" that he is talking about that is "offline and online" ? He doesn't seem to be right in a single god drat thing he's saying, by the way.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Van Ishikawa posted:

I think he's referring SCVs input buffer which allows you to do things like attacking on the first frame out of blockstun, making the delay based netcode not affect your counterattacks unless its extremely laggy. He's not saying the game has lag offline, but that the game is slower in general as part of the game's mechanics and design, like most "fast" attacks being somewhere around 10f(?) while in SF you have 3f jabs.

I could be wrong and SCV doesn't actually have that buffer but I remember hearing about it at least and have no idea what else he could be referring to. Its simply that the mechanics and buffering system of SCV adapt better to a delay based netcode. It probably has the best delay based netcode around but its still not GGPO.

I see what you are saying, and most characters were slowed down(except with Natsu having the fastest AA) but I've not noticed this buffer at all w/r/t punishment. Even considering the slowdown of most moves I haven't "felt" this "input buffer" ever... and active frames are completely separate from this buffer that he's talking about anyway, right?

Even using Pyrrah now and her crazy punishment I don't see it. I also haven't seen anything about it on 8wayrun nor has anyone that plays at tourny level that I know talk about it. It could be said it's always been there, if it exists? I'd need more info than to believe this exists, such as actual metrics or statements from people good at the game.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Bovineicide posted:

Are they rebalancing TTT2 before console release? Because honestly, it looks like the least fun game since BlazBlue.

Based off of what? The 1v2 and 1v1 aspect? If not that, can you cite something specific? Have you ever played Tekken with anyone good?

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

whip posted:

Lain are you on pad for all stick now?

I use a stick for 2d games and pad for 3d.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Bovineicide posted:

I suck at Tekken, and very few people around here play Tekken v:shobon:v Tekken 6 was basically the first Tekken since Tag 1 that I actually enjoyed, and it even got me into watching Tekken Crash for about a season or so. I'm also probably one of five people who thought the Bob finals at Evo was awesome. I think it's cool that games like CvS2 and Skullgirls let you choose your team size, but it's kind of stupid how they handled that in the new version of TTT2. I didn't think rage was a terrible mechanic before, but holy poo poo it's dumb now.

Granted, I haven't played the game myself, but watching 1v2 matches is an exercise in frustration.

Welp, agree with everything in this post. Oh well, we can only hope Filthie(lol) & community can somehow convince Harada not to implement anything BUT 2v2 in the final release. Someone on TZ suggested making it console only, which makes a lot of sense to me because it would mean hard bans everywhere in the states because we take the queue from what is acceptable in an arcade release.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This is absolutely not gonna happen. Harada was giving interviews at that SC5 Vegas thing and he said that he's thinking about adopting the 2U tag system for the main series.

EDIT: quote http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/egm-preview-tekken-tag-tournament-2/

“We think [Tag Tournament 2] is so unique that if we were to put out Tekken 7, for example, and it only had one versus one, we might get a lot of people out there who ask us why not use the previous format, where you can do two on one, two on two, and one on one? So, we’re not sure, but this could become the standard [for Tekken].”

I'm aware of all of this info and am being hopeful, please do not take this from me....

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
So, who all IS getting GG on XBL?

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

kaujot posted:

I'll be buying it, even though I only ever played it once when it was a big game. I like the character designs. :3:

I loved the poo poo out of the game and due to competition only achieved scrub level. The only way to get good comp in that game was when ATL/TN came down or we came up and that's just no way to practice!! Really excited about getting a 360 and this release.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

S-Alpha posted:

gently caress yeah am I hyped for it. I get to show off my fraudulent EX Order-Sol and oldschool dustloop again, hell yeah.

I only learned Sol and dustloop.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Elephunk posted:

Then you didn't play Accent Core because he doesn't have dustloop in that game!

(It's the same loop with j. 236HS instead of dust)

Yeah I didn't, I only played reload and never even used order sol before since I didnt play AC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
The really loud restaurant girl made me want to kill myself. Every time I did casuals with my friend that didn't even play I would have to turn the volume down. EVERY single time. Was this changed in AC?

• Locked thread