Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Holy poo poo, this is one of the best OPs I've ever seen for a thread.

Hey, quick rundown, JMcrofts just left the SkullGirls team, is anybody else here still working on it? I'm just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
For those of you who are collectors, waiting for SxT, or simply want the late hotness, Street Fighter X Tekken sticks are now available for pre-order. They use the new design with the ribbed white bottom and the red frame, but are otherwise TEs in pretty much every way.

Unrelated: My TE bag came in on Tuesday and it's the best thing ever. I'll post pics in a bit.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

bromplicated posted:

I'm sure you know more than me, but isn't the stick really close to the buttons?

Yeah. It is.

It's made for Japanese Oompa Loompa hands. It's my only frustration with the TE stick.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Skullgirls video time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-5ZH5mx7UQ

Grinta (FIL/CER) vs. Mike Z (CER/PEA/PAR)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tae posted:

So dumb that an indy group can have great sprites which allows ggpo later on and Capcom keeps churning the 3D models that prevent anything good.
"Later on?" I think you mean, "Ships with GGPO."

Dizz posted:

God I seriously hope this comes out for PC.

You're in luck! It's been severely hinted at, and the dev version is on PC. It just won't launch on the PC.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The hit sounds are actually not final, but I really hope they keep the KO sound because it's badass.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
SNK is a company with a fighting games division. Also, the KOF12 sprites are lower resolution and have fewer frames than the Skullgirls sprites. Finally, the artwork of KOF12 came first, with the gameplay and balance later or never.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
edit: gently caress it.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 29, 2011

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
What, pray tell, looks so bad about MvC3?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If somebody doesn't recognize that "good characters" exist, they shouldn't be posting Destructoid articles. Especially when they ignore the simplicity of play for those characters.

A lot of people see the "work harder" statement for a character and think, "Of course! Tiers don't matter! I just have to be a better player!" but that's not what it means. We don't mean that you have to go grind or solve puzzles or some poo poo, we mean that the game is way simpler to win if you play, say, 3S Chun-Li. Just back+fp, c.mk, super.

Or even let's take Wolverine, who is undoubtedly the best character in Marvel 3. All you have to do with Wolverine is qcb+atk and hit an assist button. That's it. If you do it, 95% of the time you will hit your opponent. In order for your opponent to block it, they have to be incredibly good and not pressing a button because Slash is invincible for 15-20f. It can't be any simpler. Not just that, but if you do his magic series combo, babby's first combo, you do around 700,000 points of damage and end up with more meter than you started even when you use a super at the end. If you want, you even have a divekick with a great hitbox that's +9 on hit and +8 on block (holy poo poo!). Just divekick and berserker slash. So simple.

Phoenix isn't as simple. Phoenix has to build up meter prior to coming in, or she will die without transforming. Once she transforms, you can basically mash with her as she's practically an instant win button. All you have to do is make her live up until that point. Incredibly simple. Of course, she has incredibly high variance unlike Wolverine, which is why she has her own tier all to herself.

Once we begin throwing in "perfect execution" and "how much work," we confuse idiots trying to argue that tiers don't exist. I believe the word simple is much more effective at getting the point across of how good a character's standing is.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jmcrofts posted:

Simple characters aren't always good, though, and good characters aren't always simple. I think most people would consider C. Viper in top 5 of AE (or at least close), and she's a fairly complicated character. Meanwhile T. Hawk is one of the simplest characters in the game and he sits close to bottom 5. There are lots of examples of really good characters that are difficult or complex.

I 100% agree, but trying to explain that sort of thing to idiots will only prolong the argument. "What's the difference between a perfect execution Magneto/Viper and a perfect execution Hulk/Dan?" I was more attempting to make a statement about how to communicate matchup data to morons.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 31, 2011

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
My 5 foot 5 rear end could be the highest scoring player in the NBA if I bootstrapped myself

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The absolute worst people in the universe to play games with are people who pick bad characters/teams/weapons/whatever to be funny or because they want to be good at a gimmick, gloat when they beat you, and get upset when they lose because "the game is so unfair".

Picking a lovely character is exactly like the Noah Defense. If you lose, it's not your fault because you're using a poo poo character or you're 8 years old! If you win, it's extra special because you're using a poo poo character or you're 8 years old! Don't think Tiers exist? Pick a bad character and use the Noah Defense when you lose! Want to Stick It To The Man with your favorite character despite advice to the contrary? Use the Noah Defense, that'll show The Man!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Honest Thief posted:

Man that's a lot of butthurt over a 8 year old.

I'm surprised you didn't go apeshit trying to troll me when I wrote a whole paragraph about Wolverine.

40 OZ posted:

Yeah but the "noah defense" as you call it is perfectly fine in his case. He is 8 years old he doesn't have any real agency or political angle here he's a 3rd grader playing video games.

I mean going to evo was probably more his dad's idea than anything, which is pretty cool if i might add. Most dads won't let you play the drums in 3rd grade much less take you to las vegas to play marvel (and blow up Legendary TvC Professionals on stream).
Well, apply that to, say, Gamerbee in 2010. If he lost with Adon, everybody thought Adon was rear end. Gamerbee is a fantastic player, so the situation doesn't come up, but for him picking Adon was literally a win/win situation in the same way as Noah.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 31, 2011

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

40 OZ posted:

This is the biggest thing wrong with your post, though. How is protecting yourself from narcissistic injury the Winning quotient here? I was positive the goal was to win the big monies and be evo champion.

As I said, Gamerbee is a fantastic player and thus avoids using the lovely character defense. I was trying to state that it exists in some fashion, intentionally or not. Plus, sometimes the goal isn't just winning. To use Noah as an example again, he got sponsored by Brokentier recently and has his own t-shirt line. I would claim that as a huge victory.

When fighting a lovely player who uses a lovely character for a lovely reason, it's incredibly common for them to chirp, "You only beat me because you spammed with Chun" or something to that effect. While some people use top tier characters as a kneejerk way to get "good" at a game, lovely players will use terrible characters as a kneejerk "honor system" that never stops working. You don't really see these in tournaments often because those players are terrible. Am I making any sense?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
http://www.twitch.tv/toptiergaming

SKULLGIRLS STREAM, NEW BUILD, NEW CHARACTER SELECT SCREEN, GOGOGO

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
This just in: Skullgirls has officially disabled the Home and Guide buttons while you're fighting.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
So for those not watching the stream, official word is that Skullgirls streaming will be a weekly thing.

And it has the best character select music ever.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gutcruncher posted:

Wait a minute. Is this tournament held under the free ratio system?
You can choose your team's size. Smaller teams function like higher-ratio characters from CvS2.

Cat Machine posted:

How do you go from a design like Peacock to that :(
The old design was too generic and "catgirl" and didn't really get the point across that Ms. Fortune functions like a crazy version of Ghost Rider/Dhalsim and her body parts pop off during her moves.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tae posted:

Did they explain what are the benefits to go 1 character to make up for the health+lack of assists?

225% health and damage currently, and they're considering a Darkstalkers-style red health regeneration system.

(A 2-character team has 150% health and damage iirc)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

What was once a leak is now official. People in the know keep on talking about how disgusting her animations are, so now I can't wait to see her in motion.

One of her likes is bowling. I really really hope his means she has a projectile where she bowls her head across the screen, spraying geysers of blood everywhere, replete with bowling pin sounds.

I also really really REALLY hope that all her moves are accompanied by terrible one-liners. Based off her description (and name), this sounds like it'll definitely be the case and she could be quite possibly more hilarious than Peacock.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tUlnpSYteA

I think it's high time a Skullgirls thread was actually made, now that news about the game is rather regularly pouring in. Or would we rather keep things in here until a release date is announced?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Micgael posted:

So, having transcended a recent bout with being super-broke I have decided it may be time to invest in a stick. Is the general thread consensus still a Mad Catz TE?
The OP directly answers this in no unclear way with a highly visible and legible graphic.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpVhgEUHxwU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gutcruncher posted:

Basewars has an SNES sequel?!

Edit: Oh, its NEO GEO and not a basewars sequel. Still, robot baseball!

DUDE. Super Baseball 2020 was also released on Genesis and Super NES! You need to google the rom and play the poo poo out of it! (Don't get the SNES version, it has a bunch of poo poo removed)

I wonder if it has GGPO support, now that I think about it...

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 4, 2011

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
http://www.twitch.tv/toptiergaming/ is streaming Skullgirls again. Right now it's two morons loving around in training, and they know even less about the game than the stream monsters in the chat. It's really frustrating to watch.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Brannock posted:

H-how dare someone be new to a game... Th-this will not stand...

Let us also consider that these are the same guys who were streaming last week and they have been awarded the privilege of doing so by the game's designers for the purposes of showing the game off.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ashenai posted:

So... the game's designers are apparently happy with how they're doing, since they let them do the stream again?

I understand where you're coming from, though, I literally punch my monitor every I see new character gameplay trailers for MvC3 and they're not hitconfirming into their hypers. WHAT IS THIS BUSH LEAGUE poo poo.

I can see the positive in giving the game to people who want to explore it, but they're answering questions with the wrong answers (like how the OTG system works, bursts, damage properties, etc) that have been answered correctly by the designers on other occasions. So when somebody comes to them with a question related to one of those things they learned, well...

"Does it use 5 bars to DHC from a level 3 into a level 3?"
"Why would it do that?"
"DHCing into level 3s uses only 2 bars."
"No it doesn't."
"TRY IT."
"No it doesn't!"
"Just do it."
".... wow it only takes 2 bars to DHC into a level 3."
:suicide:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

dj_de posted:

It's Cerebella and "And I must scream" should be Double.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
This reminds me: I got to try out the new SxT TE Pro the other night, and it sucked. The red plastic makes it look like a toy, and the housing is mostly hollow plastic (as opposed to the regular TE's thicker plastic with a steel top) so it feels like a toy. It's too light, feels cheaper and brittle, and I have no idea why Madcatz would make something like that after the genius of the TE.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Wait, Holhorse and Boingo can combo into the grab super? This is the craziest poo poo I've ever seen! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfoYK3r_u2c

There isn't really any info on H&B on Standcrash's wiki page. How does Holhorse and Boingo compare to regular Holhorse? I imagine losing Hanged Man loops would lower the fear, but then again, comboable grab super.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Thank god panty shot the game is coming to save us from our modern fighter hell.

At least the Skullgirls characters wear clothes.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Whatever happened to last year's JoJo's league? I need something to pass the time until Ultimate comes out, but the only person to fight on GGPO is sf2feilong :(

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Cinroth posted:

sf2feilong, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure ultra shin grand master *Kakyoin j.C, throw* :madmax:

No bullshit, I spent 3 hours fighting that bastard the other night. I was like, "I literally just reinstalled GGPO for the first time in a year, I'm very much not good at the game, I'd like to learn, is that okay?"

Cue 3 loving hours of Shadow Dio short hop crossup tick/wakeup throw 4-hit resets and mixups. I didn't even realize there was a crossup until fight 6 or so because his stand was obscuring my character (and I was too busy freaking out over the high-low mixup and then trying to tech throw mixups). I have never met a more unhelpful person in my life.

The only advice he ever gave me was "pushblock the jab" at which point he baited my goddamn pushblock and killed me. Fucker.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Tomorrow morning, there's a CEO tournament for those of you in the Orlando area. That's not the important part.

What is important is that this is the first ever tournament with a Salty Runback Bracket. The first 8 people to go 0-2 will be placed into a single-elimination side tournament. The winner of that tournament will get their entry fee refunded to them.

edit: entree how the hell did i bungle that up

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 24, 2011

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Why in God's name would they put a "1 hit combo" indicator in a game?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm waiting for the Egrets' voices, they're bound to be hilarious.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Jmcrofts, let me get this loving straight: Miss Fortune's head functions as HP and operates as a separate entity like a goddamn stand?!

Also, she ties you up in a yarn ball made out of her own intestines?!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBy25YH0DBQ

MEGATROLL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImperialGuard posted:

From what I noticed P1 only used like... one assist?

Looks like one character "teams" are out of the question then, when everything actually comes out of the attache case.

Keep in mind, Peacock is arguably the worst single character in the game. She has a really notable weakspot over her projectiles, and her normals aren't very fast.

• Locked thread