Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Mega Comrade posted:

No, UMvC3 has far better netcode. Umvc3's main problem is its bar system lies so it appears worse than it actually is.

I borrowed my friends copy of KofXIII and got maybe a handful of games that I found acceptable. It's a fantastic game but I'm not buying it until I see if this patch solves anything.

Yeah the biggest problem with the current netcode is that you're severely limited in terms of people you can play with good connections. Last time I played I was like "oh hey, it's that one guy I played 15 ranked matches in a row with yesterday"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

Well, there's a lot of money burning a hole in my pocket right now, and I was thinking of buying an arcade stick and kind of settled on the Real Arcade Pro V3 SA by HORI which seems to have received great reviews. Still, I'd like to hear some more about the stick before I frivolously commit $150 on a video game implement instead of doing the human thing and giving it away so an African elementary school classroom can eat for a month. Is it a good idea stick to buy?

Edit: oh, and this may be a stupid loving question, but I'm not very hardware savvy: the stick is a PS3 accessory, but can it be used with my PC, too?

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Ultimate-Marvel-Capcom-Arcade-3/dp/B0061YFZC2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327114420&sr=8-2

There's also this offer right now, you can get it for $120

apple
May 18, 2003

uncleKitchener posted:

So, what was going on with Jinmaster? People say he was arrested for assault and theft, but nothing is clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-0ysHcZl_c&feature=player_embedded

Loads of down votes on his video. I suppose that could effect his chances of getting in.

edit:

Eh, nothing interesting.

That's definitely not the same story the other guy told, but it does seem the arrest thing is just rumor mongering.

apple
May 18, 2003

Zexerous posted:

So I helped run our scene's second tournament ever. Lots of drama before poo poo got started, but everything worked out in the end. A big thank you to jmcrofts and his crew bringing the evo monitors, and a even bigger thank you for everyone donating to the "feed banana ken" fund. I need to get a mega phone, I have no voice, but doing something like that was totally loving worth it. :D

Banana ken won every tournament he entered. Which was like 5 tournaments. It was good times. I was really surprised at the turn out and the manager of the venue was even more surprised and is really wanting to work with me on getting another tournament of that size next month. I'm going to have a chat with the manager about them contributing to the pot bonuses as well to bring more people in.

Didn't seem that drama-ridden, maybe I missed something :X

Thanks for running that tournament, the venue is amazing and the tournament was fun. I felt like a little kid again walking into this giant arcade with all these classic titles. There's probably enough space there to hold a major if you combine the party room, so there's definitely room to grow. I'm glad to hear the owner is happy with the turnout. It just sucks you guys simply didn't have enough equipment to run the whole thing smoothly. A stream would be cool next time if you want to draw more attention to the event (it's also fun to commentate!).

But yeah, being a TO is hard work, you were losing your voice by the end and everything. Next time I would try to shoulder a little less responsibility yourself, it just seems like you were running every single event on one laptop. Even for a smaller event you want to have a person dedicated to running brackets, that way you can make sure the rest goes smooth.

I entered SCV, KOF, AE and SFxT btw. I considered entering T6 but switching between 5 games might have made my brain melt. I'm sure Indiana doesn't want me winning everything so I'm looking forward to how they level up. :3:

apple
May 18, 2003

Brosnan posted:

I'm not really sure why people would fund a project that probably should've ended at being a funny YouTube video instead of an actual game.

I pre-ordered it cause I had fun with it at UFGT8. Admittedly all I would do with the game in its current stage is shot matches with friends with it, but I'd definitely play it every now and then if it ends up having netcode.

apple
May 18, 2003

Brosnan posted:

If you think all of this is going to happen with what he's trying to get on Kickstarter you should really look into development budgets and overhead costs more. It's naive and short-sighted for them to think this was a good route to go.

What should they have done? I'm not too familiar with indie developer world. All I know is a lot of people are crucifying Keits due to setting the goal to $30k, setting the "pre-order" to $10 or a combination of both.

apple
May 18, 2003

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Stop encouraging Keits, he is the worst person.

What's your story? :confused: If it makes you feel better the amount of people that poo poo on him is at least as many as those that support him.

Having met him in person, he's a really cool guy and his events are hella fun and well run. If it weren't for this I probably wouldn't have taken his word on the kickstarter thing.

apple
May 18, 2003

blumpkinbliss posted:

Wow, that was loving terrible. I take it all back TSG, you were right, he is the worst.

Yeah I remember that, he did drop the ball. I'm pretty sure he thought he was just talking about an interesting topic to fill the dead air, but he found out the hard way that it's not the kind of thing that belongs on FG commentary, considering I haven't seen him commentate majors ever since. If this 2 year old incident is reason enough for you to not support him, that's up to you.

To me he's that dude that hosts UFGT and does a great job at it, has a cool dad (Papa Keits!) that designs different games (Balrog Ball, Kombat21, etc.) which people can vouch they have been playing and having a blast for most of the weekend. I still think he's alright in my book.

apple
May 18, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

of course, thats what they say duh.

I'm guessing the quarter finals will be filled with pool winners/losers.

apple
May 18, 2003

Futanari Rastafari posted:

Keep up the smarmy comments and you will be well on your way to a Yellow Card.

By then the league of extraordinary gentlemen will be disbanded though, and no yellow card will stop this man from being smarmy ever again. We're hosed.

apple
May 18, 2003

Broken Loose posted:

Even in the off chance that somebody thinks that Smash would be appropriate for a tournament, nobody wants the smell of Smash players.

To be fair, the hygiene in most majors leaves much to be desired.

In other words, we share a common trait :unsmigghh:

apple
May 18, 2003

S-Alpha posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience hooking up a PS3 TE to a PC? I used mine to play Melty on my old laptop, and it worked perfectly, plug in and go. I just got a new one, and it isn't going well at all. It detects it as being a HID, and says it's properly installed, but hitting buttons and moving the stick in calibration doesn't register at all. I know there's a historical problem with nVidia chipsets, but seeing as this is running on Intel, that shouldn't be the problem. I'm pretty much out of ideas on what to try now.

I gave SRK a look, but it's a mess of conflicting opinions and theories, with nothing really applying to my issue. Thought I might as well throw this out here to see if you guys can give me some ideas. If nothing works, thanks anyways.

The main issue is just how far back is the USB backwards compatible, only certain chipsets are:

quote:

For PC use, you need a USB port that is fully downward compatible with USB 1.1. Only Intel and VIA chipsets are certain to meet this requirement.

Other Thoughts:Regarding the PC USB issue, you have two choices. If your motherboard's USB is powered by an Intel or VIA chipset - my ASRock X58 Extreme uses the VIA USB chip - then this joystick works out of the box. Just plug and play.

Otherwise, you must purchase and install a USB 2.0 PCI card with "VIA" clearly printed somewhere on top of the card. There are a few such USB PCI cards available on this and other sites. The Dynex brand USB PCI card available at Best Buy also works; you can see the VIA chip through the transparent packaging.

Of course, with a 360 TE it's not an issue as Microsoft automatically installs drivers for their Microsoft product. :downs:

apple
May 18, 2003

Static Rook posted:

Watching the SF25 event. Every time I see SFxT on a stream I have the same reaction:
  • 1st Match-This game seems kinda fun, why does everyone poo poo on it all the time? It's only $24 on Amazon, too. I'm gonna get it!
  • 3rd Match- Oh god this game takes forever, make it stop...
I know it's old news, but I'm still surprised every time I see SFxT at how many bad decisions were made with this game.

In good fg news, ever since P4A came out I've had a much harder time finding good connection matches in AE. I know I'm 4 years behind, but I just started getting past "total poo poo" level in AE. Come back FGC, come back! (I can't get P4A until next month :sigh: )

I didn't even know SA existed during the year 2000 :stare:

Even though I didn't play a whole lot during spring, AE was already slowing down considerably by then, no one really played ranked with high player points at least. I liked doing ranked to fight a bigger variety of opponents, and I would use the threat of losing 120pp in one go as motivation to not lose! I'm guessing P4A and other fighting games coming out is only going to make things worse.

For better or worse, I gave a SFxT DLC code to a friend of mine roughly a week ago, and he couldn't even find player or ranked matches in his area. Good riddance I say.

apple
May 18, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It has a small scene in South America, especially Chile IIRC. But the way those guys play is very very different from any way I've ever seen people play KI.

Any videos? Sounds interesting

apple
May 18, 2003

redmercer posted:

Seems to me like a lot of the reason arcades are dying out is because they're run like a turn-key business and they either don't give a poo poo if controls break or honestly don't know how to swap out a button.

This is how Time-Outs consistently closed down all over Puerto Rico years ago. A long time has passed since the last person hired even knew how to use a soldering iron.

apple
May 18, 2003

Courtesy of fubarduck on twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chKIiL6MfIY

Looks very similar to SF4. This game is.. something :stare:

apple
May 18, 2003

Don't forget SFxT2013, PSA and Injustice :unsmigghh:

apple
May 18, 2003

Brosnan posted:

You're aware that Capcom doesn't run Evo, right?

Sony has all but grabbed Evo by the balls, so not seeing PSA would be a surprise, honestly!

apple
May 18, 2003

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

How is the netcode and online community for Persona 4: Arena? Playable?

Not that I would ever actually be good at it or even play it for more than a few days but you know. I'm just not very smart.

It's not the best netcode but still solid, and the game behaves surprisingly well under small amounts of delay. Overall it feels more playable than say, SF4 netplay.

Online community on psn is fine. On xbl you'd have to invite people you know to play, it's by far the less popular port because anime and pstriple have some kind of love affair.

apple
May 18, 2003

Dias posted:

Persona 4 Arena has auto-combos, decent mobility and flashy poo poo, look it up.

It's on sale, too!

http://www.amazon.com/Persona-4-Arena-Playstation-3/dp/B007B7BHJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355362062&sr=8-1&keywords=persona+4+arena

Another good option is SFxT, and that's on sale for PC too (seriously). Scramble mode is pretty good for what Hypha needs, just not quite as easy as mashing autocombos in P4A. Your friends would have to know how to do special moves and supers at least, and how to hold down your special move to charge up a super.

apple
May 18, 2003

Honestly, it's kind of bizarre to see someone with M2K's rap sheet receive as much support as he does. It's not like you don't see this type of phenomenon in the FGC; typically a top player's actions are tolerated more to some extent. I've never, ever seen a community put up with so much poo poo from a single top player as much as they do with M2K though.

Look at Wolfkrone; he's being treated as a total outcast by the MI FGC nowadays, specially the moment he stopped dominating AE in the midwest. He hasn't pulled nearly as much poo poo either: he had this one instance of agreeing to split with JWong and going back on his word, making a fuss at final round because he got DQ'd after being 3 hours late, and nowadays just constantly shits on tournaments after he loses for whatever reason he can find. It's kind of sad, really. :shrug:

apple
May 18, 2003

iastudent posted:

Got a monitor question for y'all since I'm looking for something to spend my tax refund on. I know the ASUS VH236H has been the fighting game monitor of choice for awhile, but I saw a couple others as well that appear to be newer models, like the VS238H-P. Is the second one as reliable for reducing lag like the VH, or should I stick with the EVO standby?

IPS monitors (like the VS series from ASUS) tend to have more response time compared to TN monitors (VH series from ASUS), so if gaming is your 1st priority, I probably wouldn't go with the VS.

apple
May 18, 2003

Electromax posted:

Hasbro should look at Capcom and SFxMM as a way to bless the project and connect with a (maybe odd fringe) section of their fan base. Game seemed to respect the characters from what little I saw of it.

To be fair, their MLP brand ponies are fighting each other in this game, and that's probably one of the last things they want to do with them. SF and MM, OTOH..

apple
May 18, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

Hitbox is probably technically a superior input device to a Stick, just like Dvorak is probably a superior keyboard layout to qwerty. It's not so much better that it outweighs the inconvenience of having to deal with other people's sticks/keyboards though, at least for me.

Not very related, but one of my co-workers in an internship has used dvorak for years, and it didn't do anything for him in the end. Now he's stuck with that layout and has to switch to it every time he wants to get anything done in a PC that doesn't use that layout or his work slows to a crawl. :smith:

apple
May 18, 2003

KI was one of the first games that made me care about improving combos (even if it's just for that sweet high score list). Combo breaker system was cool too, you needed to land them to unlock the longer combos and stuff. I'd like to see that kinda thing brought back in an interesting way, even if competitively it turns out to be crap!

apple
May 18, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

A game with projectiles? A game where people shoot out ghosts that shoot out projectiles?! Sorry, game is boring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp0s85byvDY

The no-projectiles P4A bracket is literally no one because everyone has a projectile, even Akihiko. :downs:

apple
May 18, 2003

jackofarcades posted:

P4A is a weird situation because the characters are from games which are partly dating sims.

For the record, I haven't actually played P3/P4, just seen a few videos. What I got from social links is basically POWER OF FRIENDSHIP, there's also romantic relationships and sleeping together/having sex is heavily implied through some conversations. The persona universe is not all rainbows and poo poo, I know people would raise an eyebrow to certain characters's backgrounds ( for example, Naoto :can: ).

That said, you still get POWER OF FRIENDSHIP stuff from P4A, specially if you play story mode. However, there's no social link stuff in it and story mode is just a visual novel where you fight in between reading, it's actually pretty cool. I can't think of anybody who would have played P3/P4, be weirded out because they equate social links = dating sim and not play P4A as a result. These guys probably exist, but they're very likely a minority. I can easily think of a lot of things people would find weird or offensive in many fighting games, and P4A being associated with another game whose mechanics seem like that of a dating sim is near the bottom of that list. Your Average Joe won't even know what a dating sim is, and to the random gamer who likes RPG's even the whole romantic stuff is just a means to unlock the strongest arcanas/personas/whatever.

apple
May 18, 2003

jackofarcades posted:

I just meant that some guys get obsessed with the p4a characters because of they come from RPGs where part of the point is to form close relationships. Whatever, I like the games. Now we just need a Tales of... Fighting game.

Oh, I definitely understand. It's been surprisingly tame in my experience.. people enjoy the aesthetics and the whole "omg its persona!" but keep playing it because they enjoy it as a fighting game. Maybe not the best example since the series was conceived initially as a fighting game, but I've played the arcana heart series and it can be quite a mixed bag as far as the people you interact with..

apple
May 18, 2003

Ashenai posted:

Buffering normals sounds awful. Does any 2D fighter do that? I seem to remember that some 3D fighters do.

Persona lets you buffer inputs in general by holding down said input, works like a charm. In some cases KOF lets you do buffer normal attacks too? I know for sure you can buffer any special/super move similarly by holding down the relevant button/s.

apple
May 18, 2003

Seashell Salesman posted:

What if it was only checking for those presses a posteriori and didn't care when you started pressing the input? Would that be indistinguishable to you, would it be what you expect?

If I'm interpreting what you're asking correctly, that would be more like reversal windows in SF4 for example, where you complete a special/super/ultra motion and press the button within a 4 frames of your first possible frame where you can act again.. or how you have a certain amount of frames after completing a motion to press the button to do a special move. This is different from holding down a button or even direction in persona, since what it actually does is repeat the input for the next couple of frames that you're holding it down, with the exception that it doesn't affect motions (but you can still do stuff like hold up to help you jump at the first possible frame).

apple
May 18, 2003

Ashenai posted:

Is that even a buffer? It doesn't feel like one to me. At any rate, yeah that's a cool way of doing it.

Depends on your definition of a buffer I guess? You could call it a poor man's turbo if you prefer :shobon:

apple
May 18, 2003

No, what I mean is say I'm in recovery from some move and I start holding down LP, when I exit recovery I'm still holding down LP and a LP normal comes out. Is that the same as the scenario from P4A you were talking about before?

That's one of the main uses for it yeah, but at least in P4A it has other uses. For example with Shadow Labrys most of her EX moves don't actually make her perform a move, rather it's her persona that performs the move. Since you have to input a motion into C+D, that corresponds to doing a throw for Shadow Labrys herself, and if you want to avoid the throw's recovery, you can do [some motion]>A+C(hold)~D. You do A+C to perform an air turn, and then you "plink" into D to satisfy the EX move input, avoiding the throw whiff recovery while still doing the EX move you want. Holding down A+C ensures you get the C+D you want for the EX input, and the game has a small window where you can "plink" individual buttons to form simultaneous inputs, so it's useful to hold the buttons down in this case.

apple
May 18, 2003

If I'm understanding this right, the important part here is that normally pressing C + D would be picked up as both a throw and an EX move and both would come out (since one is not performed by the player)? This is definitely not a scenario I had anticipated, but it seems like it would be satisfied by regular buffering of input and just not requiring that the C button is up before the EX move sequence is input.

For the first part, yes that's the problem. I don't know what you're trying to say after that :stonk:

apple
May 18, 2003

Say the instants we have polled are (just listing buttons down, all others are up):
code:
t0: .................,[A+C]
t1: ...........,[A+C],[A+C]
t2: ...,[A+C],[A+C],[A+C+D]
At t0 we pick up the air dash and begin it, at t1 we don't see anything actionable, at t2 we pick up the C+D and perform the EX move.

If the EX move is represented as [C+D] then you don't need any explicit mechanic to pick that kind of button hold down, you'd just find it in the buffer like normal. However, I don't think in this case it's even necessary to inspect the buffer (that is to say we don't need any input buffering) since it's just two simultaneous button presses.

There's probably no explicit mechanic needed to handle this situation, it may very well be just an implicit feature of button holds repeating inputs for a few frames (I could be wrong, it's just what I've been able to infer from playing P4A). I was just mentioning an example where you don't necessarily use the button hold solely for doing actions immediately after recovering from something. In this case I'd imagine the P4A engine inspects how long it took you from the special move motion to the C+D required to complete it and determine if you did it fast enough. I forgot to add you do this while jumping, there's a couple of things going on as a whole so I'll summarize it below:

1. Perform special move motion in the air (214 for example)
2. Input A+C and hold it, this turns around the character in the air, leaving you vulnerable for only 4 frames total vs entire throw animations which is undesirable. At this point the special move hasn't come out yet.
3. Immediately go into D. You're still performing an air turn, the game registers the EX move since you were holding A+C. A+C+D is actually burst, but since you're doing an air turn the game doesn't allow you to burst. You can't burst unless you're cancelling off a hit, in a neutral state, waking up or being hit yourself.

A more simple example is how you can make bursts easier by doing D~A+C while holding D (at least with Shadow Labrys). Pressing C first accidentally would do a persona attack which locks out burst temporarily until my persona is done with the move. If I do D~A+C, D is the command to make my persona block, which doesn't lock out my burst and keeps him from doing any other move as long as I keep holding it. In fact, I could be doing something like:

code:
t0: .................,[D]
t1: ...........,[D],[C+D]
t2: ...,[D],[C+D],[A+C+D]
And this would give me a burst. As long as you transition quickly enough (1F?), the potential throw action from t1 is cancelled out by the burst input in t2. Ideally you would always do D~A+C or just A+C+D, but human error etc. This minimizes room for messing up, since starting with A or C you can potentially get a jab or persona attack locking out your burst attempt. In that time chart, if t0 was A or C then burst shouldn't register in t2.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

You can already plink to give yourself an extra frame of leniency (i know not on jabs blah blah blah). It'd have to be more than a single frame buffer to make a big difference for new players.

Maybe they could add it precisely for jabs? Sounds kinda silly I guess, but it'd be interesting for all the chars with obscure links involving jabs.

.. watch all the hondas start linking EX hands back to back :gonk:

apple
May 18, 2003

Dias posted:

Well, for what's worth, my friend that mains Naoto says that her SMP loop is pretty easy to do, and I know he's not an execution wizard, so...

Executing the loop is easy, as well as knowing how to go into it since it's mostly memorization. Where it gets hard is when people begin to be aware of the common starters and working your way around that. Naoto can even do SMP loops that begin with her silence super, so she can do unburstable 8k or something crazy like that. Sadly her gameplan is heavily influenced by SMP loops, since she lacks in most areas otherwise (poor health, poor anti airs, DP and oki aren't that great, etc.) and as such, if you're forced to spend meter defensively or use your burst it's almost definitely going to cripple you.

apple
May 18, 2003

Redmark posted:

The worst thing that can happen to a competitive game is to be completely figured out. When you have something as barebones as Divekick you run a high risk of that actually happening. I suspect that with kick factor and headshots being what they are every match is going to be a 5-0 pretty soon.

The thing about combos is that combo execution is very rarely what separates good players from really good players, so the scare quotes around "high-level" really aren't necessary. And in games like SF4 where 1 frame links are so important, people do indeed complain about it; certainly very few people play SF4 because they like doing combos.

Headshots followed by an inescapable death next round will become a common thing, but 5 rounds is still plenty of chances to realize what you're doing wrong. First time I played a seth he was also a really good one, I got 5-0'd but was already taking rounds by the second match. Interestingly, even Divekick has (relatively small) execution requirements: Mr. N can kara cancel his kick into float to fake people out, and you can hold float, release dive, hit dive again to do a double jump mid-float. It might be those little things that could give you the edge.

That said, my biggest criticism is that all the characters who don't have a normal jump or kick but something else actually takes away from the core concept a little bit. You have to learn how to deal with gimmick characters much like how you'd learn matchups, it's not as straight to mindgames as one would think.

For those on the fence, $10 is a good price! People may consider it to have the bare minimum, but if you care about netplay and having a bunch of ppl to play it has GGPO. I really think this is the kind of game that should have a demo though.

apple
May 18, 2003

Brett824 posted:

The problem with this is that the only context I'd really ever enjoy this game online isn't even available (a lobby with a bunch of friends).

That's fair, from my perspective I just wanna get on and kick ppl in the head online every now and then. And drinking games if I have ppl over.

apple
May 18, 2003

Doggboat posted:

It's Iron Galaxy! They will fix it, it will just take forever.

They already rolled out a patch earlier to fix some problem with private lobbies, I'm guessing they'll iron out(heh) any kinks as they're found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I ran a Divekick set up at school here for a club promotion the whole afternoon and it worked out great! Folks had a good time and there was lots of laughing, even got some folks who wouldn't be interested in fighting games normally to join up. In 9 hours of gameplay already, I think I've gotten my $10 worth. That said I think the crowd hype dies fairly quickly for the game. Having seen the few animations so many times probably killed that off, but the line to keep playing the game never shrank.

This is the story of my life as a guy who loves playing Jefailey, god drat this character is bad. Dealing with characters that can jump normally is often bad enough, having others like S. Kill around to gently caress with me can get really confusing.

Oh god I just realized the yolo gem counterpick on Jefailey is legitimately terrible. His head loving balloons into max volume and the other guy is in permanent mini kickfactor, poo poo is almost ST Akuma 10-0 matchup if you use someone who goes over him easily like Shoals.

Regarding netplay: I tried some matches earlier and 50-70ms is pretty much offline to me, but I heard seth can cause some gnarly rollback action with all his teleporting. For reference I saw other people on streams get 30ms on ranked so latency can go really low, and others attest 100ms is still smooth.

• Locked thread