Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!

Broken Loose posted:

So I take it you know nothing about Skullgirls.

Just like 99.9% of the population of America :bubblewoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
Just a heads up in case there are people out there that didn't already know, it looks like DreamCancel's doing a bit of a thing today to try and drum up interest in King of Fighters XIII online (a noble goal), which seems an appropriate way to get depressed and angry a'fore St. Paddy's day drinkin': http://dreamcancel.com/2012/03/12/dream-cancel-kofxiii-online-tournament/

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!

uncleKitchener posted:

Oh, yeah, this stick is the poo poo, especially for KOF. Button layout is weird, but it's old Neo Geo. The stick itself on the other hand feels super light and very smooth.

Personally, I wouldn't modify this thing unless it's faulty or damaged.

I ran it through both Norton and AVG. If your antivirus still complains, then just don't download it.

So far, I got no issues, unlike the other time my other PC's display drivers died for a while.

I still use the neo-geo "claw" layout on my te:s for 4 button games :shobon:

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
With the announcement that King of Fighters 13 is making a reappearance at EVO it's time once again that I attempt to learn how to play it for two weeks or so before realizing I have fat stupid fingers and terrible reaction time and then give up forever for another year.

I always start off with Dandy J's beginner's guide, but does anyone else have any recommendations on beginners resources for king of fighters? Dream Cancel tends to just link to stuff like combo videos and tutorials for mechanics geared towards someone who already understands what the hell they're doing, which I don't think I can even begin to comprehend, let alone execute. I'd like to start from a blank slate and work my way up, if at all possible.

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
I entirely missed that second video, thanks! I guess the other issue is that while those pages are great at explaining terminology and concepts, it doesn't really help me with what I should be practicing, or how I should be putting the mechanics to use.

I have a feeling that this tutorial vidya will, though. Appreciate it!

Response edit: yeah, the tutorial's the same, "this is how you do a roll, this is how you do a blowback attack, this is how you do a drive cancel. How to actually use these effectively is an exercise left to the player."

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
That's really weird because I was always told to hit the button EARLY for KoF because it forwards the input for a few frames. I can't find the video I saw that in and I'm poo poo anyway tho so I wouldn't take my word for it, does anyone else know??

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
Found what I was thinking of, seems it's just XIII specific:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evfTWzbI_JY

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
Why is it that when I poo poo in the toilet everything's fine but when I poo poo in the couch my mom hoots and hollers at me

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!

Gutcruncher posted:

Wasnt MK9, KOF 13, and KOF98UM coming to steam? At least it was on the supposed leak list that has so far been coming true.

If anyone wants to keep tabs, here are the links. Don't be fooled by the "May 4th" as the last record update: the format was changed at that time, so that's the earliest any and every record in the registry is currently marked. None have been updated since they were first seen on February 2nd, EXCEPT for king of fighters 13, which had a minor edit in March to add a few weird images:

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII
THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH

And, just for kicks 'cuz it's there:

Ikari Warriors

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!

Terminally Bored posted:

Thanks guys! I'll try MK9 on keyboard then and look for some cheap fightstick in EU.

I learned doing QCF/QCB on keyboard for Samurai Shodown IV. Still can pull it off regularly. Can't do a 180 or 360, though. And DP is way faster to do on KB, can't do them on a stick.
I'm sorry to go off topic but your avatar is absolutely terrifying me, what the hell is it?

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Uhg, of all the characters to get buffed. Surprised there hasn't been any sort of full change log posted, SNK was doing a pretty decent job of that leading up to the console release.
Been googling around, and I think this is a changelist? Does anyone know Japanese?

Edit: backtracking that link led me to this Dreamcancel post: http://dreamcancel.com/2012/02/09/kofxiii-climax-changes/

Edit edit: in any case it's really good to know that they really do seem to be focusing on the netcode, which doesn't mean it actually will be worthwhile, but at least makes me optimistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvGZE7RIlew

Mejwell fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 16, 2013

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!

Roguelike posted:

Juicebox is streaming the King of Fighters beta. So far, the netcode doesn't look so good.
Who's he playing with? There haven't been more than 30 people on worldwide all day, so if he's playing with dudes in the UK that might be understandable, but if it's other CA (he is in CA right?) people that's pretty grim.

(Sorry, I'd check myself but it's not convenient at the moment)

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
Asses akimbo, that's gotta be some sort of mistake or misunderstanding, I can't possibly believe they would willingly gently caress over people like that. Has there ever been any precedent for this?

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
There's a difference between a game going on sale after a period of time and a game that hasn't even been released yet having it's price dropped.

Mejwell fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 20, 2013

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
^^^ it was a joke loose lighten up

No one I know gives a poo poo about "low execution" of Divekick, they just think it's dumb and hilarious. Me, I think that a retail version of Divekick is pretty much the "Grumpycat Movie" of fighting games, and that $10 for it when you can get Skullgirls for $15 is obscene.

Edit: in the interest of full disclosure I would also like to mention that I also think Skullgirls is obscene, for very different reasons.

Mejwell fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 21, 2013

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
For anyone who may have contacted Steam about the King of Fighters pricing change, it's been reverted back to the original $25 preorder/$30 retail pricing. I think the most plausible explanation is SNK wanted to drop the price, but didn't realize people who had already preordered had already been charged, and therefore wouldn't receive the new discount, and when they did, they reverted it. Here's hoping we get an explanation.

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
Those videos just really depress me, because I honestly think that the Skullgirls tutorials were a great example of how you can be helpful and inviting to new players without coddling them by compromising your mechanics, and I would love to see that model implemented in more future games. However, it doesn't help if people won't play the fuckin' things.

Edit: Oh, also, Juicebox posted this in relation to another King of Fighters steam edition update.

Mejwell fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 22, 2013

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
I remember the golden days when people getting hype about the complex and in-depth strategy of Divekick was a main joke of a youtube video

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
I'm not sure whether I will be more disappointed if it turns out to be a lovely bandwagoning spin-off, or if it turns out to be a legitimate attempt at a new full-fledged game, because the former just demonstrates how terribly intellectually bankrupt and moneygrubbing it is, while the latter just means that they could've made an actual new king of fighters game.

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
With the pending release of Street Fighter Ultra for PC, I've got a friend who's never played fighting games beyond drunkenly smashing around with a close group of friends that's thinking it might be an opportunity to dabble, and I don't have any advice to offer besides "no dont". I've tossed them a link to eventhubs and shoryuken and attempted to link them to the original post here, but I feel like that's probably just an overwhelming info dump. Does anyone have any additional recommendations on resources for easing a completely new player into street fighter 4? Nothing can possibly be too stupid treat them as you would a baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!

Trykt posted:

I heard the dude that made the SF4 thread did a really good job and even included a bunch of learning resources with links and descriptions but that's just what I heard, could be total bullshit.
okay if that's true then why is the thread on a forum page whose number is so high I can't even count to it. checkmate smart guy

• Locked thread