Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
You learn Go by starting out on a smaller board and practicing life or death exercises.

Not everyone will benefit from this but that doesn't mean it's not a valid or effective way of learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

In SF4, any time you catch people mashing DP during your combos or block strings, just stop doing them randomly in the middle. If they are mashing nonstop without thinking, you block the DP and get a free punish. This will at least make them have to "risk mashing it" rather than mash with impunity.

Akuma's sweep is one of the main reasons he is so good. Focus attacking it is actually not advisable: It doesn't sound like your friend can do this, but good Akumas option select Raging Demon every time they sweep. If you focus the sweep it cancels into Raging Demon and you eat a full ultra. Try the whiff punishing that Crofts mentioned.

The main thing you'll need to do though is stop dropping your combos. Akuma's only real weakness is his low HP, so every time you have a chance to do any damage at all, you absolutely have to maximize it.

I don't think you are wasting your time by playing others without your BnB's down. It's important to work on all aspects of your play, but you definitely do need to sit down and improve your execution to make it all come together.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Maybe they banned it so they don't have to risk this kind of poo poo happening in a match?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I hate the idea of universal DP's even though I never played Persona and don't really know what they were beyond what the name implies.

One thing I really loved about GG was that many characters had no viable wake up option, and those that did could not, for instance, RC off of their DP and then do 50% damage. This meant that knocking someone down meant pressure, which meant a nice flow and good offense without having to have "vortex characters."

I guess giving everyone a DP is fine as long as the DP is a risk and as long as you can't do huge chunks of damage off of it. It's still more interesting to me to have strong DP's be relatively rare; it differentiates the characters more and is just overall better design.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

I suppose it's cuz I've never been particularly good at any game, but I just don't see how it would utterly destroy GG. I mean, if you're dashing and then want to throw, you'll just FD brake into a throw anyway, right?

You used to be able to OS FD/throw, but they removed it in Slash because it was basically a two-button throw with no whiff animation.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

This is the pricing model I argued about a month or two ago. I was saying they will probably do this and people were telling me it would never work for fighting games. I still am very skeptical that it will be a good thing, but the old model of charging $60 for a new iteration of a game that is mostly just balance changes and a few characters ONLY makes sense for people that play competitively (it made the most sense for arcade releases).

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I started playing guilty gear again and am forcing a bunch of people in my scene to play it. Great game!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

What I have been doing is just bringing a full setup and only running Guilty Gear on it. It helps that a few people are interested in getting good at it, but basically if there are four people waiting to play Marvel and no one is playing Guilty Gear, people will play it. We usually only met once a week but I am doing "Guilty Gear at my place at x time" on the facebook group. It's KIND OF lame to host a meetup and say ahead of time that it's only one game, but Marvel people have been doing that for a while in my scene.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

quote:

and saved my best controllers for nationals and it shows.

Can someone explain this? Do they go through like three controllers a month or something?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Can we please stop talking about Monster cables?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Playing against the computer won't help you learn at all; you have to play against other people that are better than you in order to improve. If your wife and you keep playing in a vacuum, you both will probably progress very slowly but still could have fun.

SF4 is pretty good to start out with, the in-game tutorials are never going to be good enough to teach you how to play either way. Skullgirls and BlazBlue probably are just going to have harder combos and less-basic concepts.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I guess I phrased it poorly. I don't actually think you guys want to improve that quickly. If you start losing to much better players on your own, you will get better than your wife very quickly and she won't have fun playing with you anymore. If you two just keep playing each other then you'll both be equally bad and progress at around the same pace.

edit: When I started playing FG's my roommate and I started at the exact same time. We both improved very very very slowly but were having a lot of fun. Eventually I really had this desire to improve so I found really good people in my area and started playing with them. I invited my roommate to come but he didn't want to. Like a month later my roommate refused to play with me anymore because he could never beat me no matter what.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 28, 2013

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Just what SF4 needed was even more characters to really balance it out for good.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Based on past experience it will not come out for the PC until a few months after console release. Since this seems like a bigger update than most I would expect it to be longer than one or two months.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

By "never before seen" I assumed like Juri, Hakan, or some other brand-new character.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I forgot that I even made that thing. Skimming it, I see some random untrue stuff such as, "Sakura doesn't have good normals," but I think the general thrust of it is more or less accurate. Banana Ken wrote the partially-complete Ken section!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Xrd just rolls off the tongue. It reminds me of Chinese kids trying to type ordinal numbers. "2st I will go to the store, 3th I eat the food-ziz"

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

People tell you not to do that because it's one of the easiest bad habits to fall into within SF4.

I saw quite a few times at EVO this year where a top 8 player made a calculated decision to DP through a non-true blockstring. Good players keep this option available and will use it sparingly.

My biggest argument for not doing it is that it will work too well against bad players. It takes an opponent smart enough to see you do it, think about it, and plan out, "I'm going to stagger a blockstring and just block to bait that out and punish it." Especially if you are playing online, most people are not going to punish like this; they are going to just let you keep DPing through their strings.

If you are up suddenly against a much better player, they are going to know how to punish your mashed DP. You are going to spend too much mental energy focusing on remembering not to mash DP through the blockstring or when to mash the DP that you won't be able to block properly. When you find yourself against someone much better than you, it takes a lot to learn how to block against their setups and offense.

You would want to do it when you are already capable of blocking a player's offense, but you notice that they always are staggering blockstrings and almost never building in any kind of bait. In this situation, even though you are very good at blocking their offense, you make a conscious decision to punish them for not respecting you. Even if you only do it once every few matches, they will have to build baits in anyway just in case.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

dhamster posted:

Anyway here's a replay video of my bad playing, I'm Ryu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRc4X2eEDVw

You need to approach a match of SF4 as a set of conscious decisions rather than doing stuff (like a hurricane kick or a jump) because "nothing is happening".

The only good thing I can really say about your play is that you are throwing fireballs to make your opponent make mistakes and to force his hand. Unfortunately you aren't doing even the most obvious things to exploit this. You did accidentally anti-air him with a standing roundhouse at the beginning of the first round when he jumped over your fireball; if you can do this on purpose that is an example of something you should be doing. Instead of a standing roundhouse you will want to do medium punch DP in most anti-air situations.

You should never just do a random hurricane kick or a random DP. All of the random hurricane kicks show that you basically are entering a neutral position, meaning both of you are standing still, and since you don't know what else to do, you "might as well do a special and hope it hits". It might hit sometimes (same with random DPs), but when it doesn't and a good player sees you do this, he'll just block and wait for you to do dumb poo poo and win purely by punishing you.

Which leads to: when you block Dan's DP, you can do anything you want as soon as he lands. You can do any punish combo in the world. For you right now, I would just recommend doing close fierce XX fierce dragon punch or close fierce XX roundhouse hurricane kick.

You seem to have a vague idea of "poking" with the sweeps you are doing. Sweep with Ryu is a bad poke because if a good player blocks it they get a free punish. Try doing the same thing you are doing with sweep, but use cr. mk instead. If you hit them you don't get the same payoff, but it's safe on block. You can also cancel it into a fireball.

Stuff to do in order to improve, in order of importance:

1) No random specials or random jumps. If you don't know what to do, just wait for your lovely opponent to do something dumb which you can punish. Against better players this won't really work, but you should practice the concept.

2) Learn to anti-air with medium punch DP. When you don't know what to do and feel the urge to do a random special, try to put yourself at a range where, if they jump, they will be at the perfect range to DP them. Try to make them jump and DP them.

3) Learn to execute a punish combo such as close fierce xx fierce DP. Learn to react and do it in a match when you block a DP.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

dhamster posted:

After 20 or so cumulative losses in multiplayer, I won my first game against someone at around my same matchmaking level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBrz4Wq4ibo. I got hammered pretty badly a few times thanks to jumping around too much, but he walked in front of my fireballs enough to balance it out.

Much better!

Your fireball game looks better, especially because you are timing them well after a knockdown so that they hit meaty. I see you trying to DP anti-air, but you still aren't getting it. I saw you get a crouching fierce accidentally and then a super accidentally (the super ended up being more effective than a DP though).

To do the anti-air DP's can be very hard if there is any latency, and since you're really new the execution is probably difficult. Just keep trying it and you'll get it soon enough; once you do you'll find it a lot easier to win.

You are at least neutral jumping instead of jumping forward, but still too much jumping. I also noticed a few random hurricane kicks still.

I see you poking with cr. mp instead of cr. mk, which seemed to work well in this match. Cr. mp is a good poke, but cr. mk is a better general poke. I would recommend to keep using cr. mp if it's working for you, but try to work cr. mk into your game as well.

The biggest mistake you made was when you blocked her ultra and tried to throw punish (and still missed the throw). This is your easiest opportunity to do a punish because you have more time than in any other situation. The whole time you are blocking the ultra --and good job blocking it-- you can mentally prepare yourself to do a punish. In this situation, after you leave block stun you want to walk up right next to her and do close fierce xx hurricane kick or close fierce xx dragon punch. Either of those combos would have killed her from that point, instead you had to keep fighting and risk losing, and her lovely wake up ultra went unpunished!

Things to work on now:

1) Record someone doing a jumping attack into you on training mode and practice doing an anti-air DP against it.
2) Practice close fierce xx DP and close fierce xx hurricane kick.

Once you have those things down to a workable degree you can start learning some actual offense and mixup.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Do people actually play Divekick? It feels to me just like a really obnoxious joke that went way too far. This controller is just the most frostbitten extremity of the terrible joke.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Left: A man with AIDS. Right: An HIV negative man (Head-INVERTED)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

arcane wizard hand poo poo

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The tiny tsundere girl from Toradora and Magical Wizard Girl #8495

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

MK needs some loving hitsparks holy poo poo

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Neo Helbeast posted:

Working in animation has completely desensitized me, I just see plastic models doing model things to each other.

12 year old me would be so hype for this

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Elitists like to poo poo on people who use them but I have a nicer stick than anyone posting in this thread and you're just bad at videogames.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Most people starting out have no preferences because they haven't used a stick except maybe when they were a kid in the arcade playing mortal kombat. If you have no preference, there's a lot of advantage when it comes to using what 98% of people are playing with.

If the most standard setup works for as many people as it does, it's probably something you can just take as is and not have to sperg out on. If you like building sticks and sperging out about springs and gates more than actually playing fgs, then enjoy yourself with that.

If you just want to play a game, you'll have more fun and less frustration using a square gate and never again thinking about your stick unless it happens to break.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Baby learns to tech within a five-frame window, merely the first step on a long path of amazing abilities that fighting games will give you:

David Sirlin posted:

The tournament started Saturday. I cared less than ever about which characters I'd play. I wish I could have played HD Remix's T.Hawk or Fei Long or Cammy or Akuma or something, but they aren't quite the same in ST, ha. Anyway, it's more about playing the opponent than the character matchup in this world of slow-time. I was even willing to trade in my usual sloppy style of play for an even sloppier one if it meant I could use my time-ability.

The early rounds of the tournament were a good warmup. I don't really know exactly why they help me, but they do. By the time I was to face Mike Watson (former US champion in ST), I felt ready. Mike will tell you that he simply had trouble dragon punching on console sticks (probably true) but in any case, I was able to use my time-power. During a few critical moments, time passed very slowly, and I was even able to notice a couple times when I simulated what might happen if I did X, decided that I didn't like the simulation's answer, then did something else and was successful.

I was able to use my power again vs NKI. It wasn't superior match knowlege, but slow-time that I used at a couple key points. Obvservers might not have noticed those key points because most of the match had me flopping around sloppily, looking for openings. The most interesting part of this match was the very long time (30 seconds???) where I did nothing. NKI was doing Chun Li's lightning legs a few pixels away from me and I have no move at that distance that can beat it. My only real choices are jump in, jump away, or do nothing. I did nothing and NKI kept doing lightning legs. It was an interesting "conversation" in that we each made it clear that we would keep doing our own thing. I chose to do nothing here because he is the one on edge in this situation, not me.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

imagine having to shake someone's hand after that

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Keep in mind--as knowledgeable as this dude sounds--his stick looks like this and has an octo gate:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

yo dog your stick has like eight start/select buttons!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

The thing with MOBAs is that they are fun to play from the beginning for almost everyone. You are likely playing on a team with your friends, and even if you are a total poo poo player, you can see your character getting stronger and getting more money as the game progresses. You can feed really hard and still have someone carry you, and at the end of the game all you will probably remember is the one or two kills you got (forget your ten deaths) or the teamfight that was really cool and that you participated in. Funny stuff can happen within the game, you can sit there and have a drink while you play. I think streaming has hugely helped MOBAs; it is pretty fun to watch streams of high level players because they are playing on ladders, and online ladders actually matter on those games. There are very very few FG players that stream, and when they do they get a few thousand views. It's usually just them playing lovely people online for no stakes, so it's generally not that interesting to watch. Tournament streams are really the only interesting thing, and so only like once or twice a week will SSF4 be on the front page of twitch games.

I pretty effortlessly got my wife to enjoy League of Legends. I made a noob account and played games with her. She thought Teemo was awesome and loved him, and then she also loved hearing people trash talk each other or say stupid poo poo in chat. When a MOBA game ends, your gut reaction whether you win or lose is: "I want to play another." I have that same reaction on fighting games, but most people don't. The skill ceiling and climb on MOBAs is actually quite high, but you don't feel like a useless blob when you start. Look in the SF4 thread and see some of the questions new players there are asking; they don't understand the most basic and super fundamental aspects of 2d fighters. For a genre that is summed up as: "Two people hitting each other until one loses their health bar," it is actually very very difficult to know what you are supposed to be doing when you start playing. I have never got a friend who already liked gaming into fighting games, but I've got non-gaming friends and my wife, for instance, into MOBAs super easily just by inviting them to play with us and chill out on Skype.

In a MOBA, when you don't know what you are doing you will feed and poo poo, but you're still getting money and still leveling up, and the game isn't ending for a long time regardless of how poorly you do. In a FG, when you don't know what you are doing you are directly shown that you know nothing by the other guy getting in your face and killing you in three combos that you yourself cannot execute. You're struggling to remember that you have to stand up to block a jump-in, and you're trying your hardest not to jump when you throw a fireball. These are not fun hurdles for most people to overcome. Going into training mode to grind out basic combos with arbitrary-feeling timings is also not fun for most people. The average gamer doesn't want to have to "practice" poo poo, they just want to play, have fun, and learn as they go.

I think THE ARCADE did solve all of these problems. Being in an arcade makes everything more fun: you're getting the social aspect and you have people there who can help you learn, and you don't even have the option of training mode. You just want to loving get those combos down so you can beat that smug dude across from you who you've never managed to take a single round from, and you can see the good players having fun and feel the community etc. I always tell new players to come to meetups, which aren't really as fun as arcades, but they work almost as well. I've met a lot of people who think it's really weird to go to a meetup just to play a fighting game though, so sometimes even people who play FGs online for fun don't want to bother playing with other people for real.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I don't really think Smash is a good solution. Smash is fun to me but if you play it with 4 people it loses the FG feeling, if you play it competitively 1v1 no items it plays like a lovely real FG.

I didn't really follow how Killer Instinct worked out, but I think F2P with free character rotations and buying characters and costumes could be a good model that should be further explored. You cannot add new characters to a FG at anywhere near the speed you add characters to MOBAs though, so they'd have to figure something else out to keep things exciting.

The existing model of releasing new iterations of the game, sometimes at full retail price, only works for people like me who get full value out of it. A FG I play and love, $60 is totally reasonable for me even if it's just a rebalance with two new characters. To the average gamer that is awful and a ripoff, and it makes people who bought the first iteration just annoyed because they may want to try the game again after a two-year break, but the game they bought is dead and they'd have to "rebuy the game."

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

if you had degreased the pizza properly your phone would still be functional

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

all these anime games look like poo poo (except guilty gear)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

i only have fun with fgs if i'm playing people who are trying hard to get good and the competition gets pretty high. so dicking around on some creepy anime game isn't very fun to me :(

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

hearthstone :D

honestly i'd rather play something like guilty gear, but there is simply no competition in my area for it. i know there's a decent ggpo scene for a lot of games like st, which i'd be interesting in trying to get good at, but i don't like playing online very much. i usually go to a local meetup like once a week, and everyone there plays sf4 pretty well, some very well, so that's why i play it and not other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Does rx play any fgs still?

• Locked thread