Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

40 OZ posted:

If you want something that plays nice with Korean joysticks, it is basically a bargain.

Yeah considering that if you don't want to build a case yourself your other option is basically to buy a Saulabi and swap out everything for quality parts and some form of dual-modding, and by the time you do that you would only be saving a little bit of money and spending a lot more time over laugh's stick, which looks like it's using the Paewang pcb. It seems like a good product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Getting stuff to work on 360 is a lot harder and more expensive, as all 360 accessories need a special chip or something. The best way is to just buy a 360 stick and modify it to also work on PS3.

If you have basic soldering skills the best way is to buy a 360 Fightpad, they're quite well laid out for padhacking.

But yeah PS3 to 360 is a tough order. I know Laugh sells PS2 to 360 converters on eTokki with the cracked security chip like the Paewang and PS360 use so theoretically you could crack it open and work something out but that'd really be a waste of effort when Fightpads can be had for 25-30 bucks.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Brett824 posted:

I think someone posted about this earlier in the thread, but has anyone here gotten significant time with Laugh's Omni Stick? I want a really solid and sturdy pre-dual modded stick and I hate the design of the Qanba Q4, but I don't want to drop 200 dollars on something with shoddy construction/obvious design flaws.

People on SRK who got to play with the prototypes were comparing them favorably with high-end customs and as someone posted earlier laugh is first and foremost an enthusiast so he's not going to go to the trouble of having a case manufactured that wouldn't stand up

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

It's completely unrelated to gameplay but one cool thing from Alpha 2 that wasn't in A3 was all the different win icons: normals, weak normals, specials, supers, throws, tick damage, alpha counters, and taunts all had their own. If you won with a raging demon you even got Akuma's kanji as a win icon.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

chumbler posted:

Edit: Speaking of sprites, kof2002 and the like have good sprite work, but I always found them a bit odd since it's like they were trying to be more detailed than the limits allowed, and they had more subdued color schemes than SF and less clear boundaries in the sprites themselves. Like they look good, but something always seems a little off about them.

Garou: MOTW is pretty damned amazing in terms of pulling the absolute maximum out of the MVS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LonlSjoLRzg

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

DoA2 is good for proving that the Dreamcast didn't "have lovely graphics" because it looked better than the PS2 port (and Soul Calibur).

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

There are only two kinds of people who didnt know the Dreamcast had good graphics. Those who have never seen the Dreamcast, and blind people.

I think most people I hear that kind of thing from haven't ever seen it. Something I overheard from two people watching a Power Stone match at a meet last night: "What's that game? I've never heard of it." "Yeah well it was on Dreamcast, nobody played that poo poo"

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I've never played Darkstalkers with people who know how to play. Tell me, how do Robot and Pyro fare in the charts?

I always felt robot was cheap (due to his lazer, hover jump, rocket spam, etc), is he?

Also, is Pyro a fair character? How high is he in the tier list?

I remember playing this game a real long ago, but couldn't find people to enjoy it with :( (my GGPO has a lot of latency too :()

they're not on the charts since those characters are only in the home ports of VSav :)

And yeah I played some Saturn VSav at a FG meet a couple weeks ago at my college and when I told one dude I played Talbain he just went "I HATE him" but it was all good

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What's about the cheapest you can get a good arcade stick at anyway?

right now the TvC stick for Wii is at fire sale prices (~$30 shipped) so if you don't mind getting your hands dirty to mod it for use on other systems that's a hell of a deal. otherwise, it's like the SRK thread linked in the OP says, anything below $50 is probably junk

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Gamest Mook posted:

I can't even imagine trying to get ST DPs to come out consistently on a 360 pad.

I played HDR with regular 360 pads for a couple years and with practice got reasonably used to DP inputs with the analog stick but yeah it's really easy to accidentally go too far and get a fireball. I hope nobody is trying to play using the stock d-pad.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

40 OZ posted:

This is the problem. You don't want anime club's FG night or D&D club's FG night. These exist and they are completely different.

At my school there's an overall gaming club but fight night is its own thing like a couple other people are talking about. I never go to anything else so I can't speak to it but I do know that on the umbrella gaming nights someone usually brings MvC3 or something.

We have a pretty cool group though, there was a lot of CvS2 play last week and I'm gonna get some Project Justice going tomorrow. VSav was well-received as well.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you have a pre-established group of friends who enjoy competitive games it can be easy to start a FG group. You just have to get things going.

I have a Dreamcast and fight sticks and I managed to get my entire group of gaming buddies playing MvCS2 and Last Blade. You also have to be willing to show people the ropes. I knew a guy who started out not even knowing how to hadouken and now that motherfucker will absolutely waste me as Iori (who is like hadouken motion, the character).

But maybe I game with more competitive people that y'all. Since the guys I play FGs with are all hardcore WoW raiders who spend their off time playing DotA, HoN, LoL and TF2. So they are all into high skill games that require dedication and character knowledge.

Its also nice that if you're all friends and not terribly into the bleeding edge FG scene, in which you must all play SSF4 and MvCS 24/7 the price barrier is lower. You can get a PS2 or DC with top notch fight sticks for less than forty dollars these days, depending on what price the Green Machine is going for online. And that will let you play MvCS2, Alpha 2 Gold, Third Strike, VSav, Last Blade 2, Super Turbo and even odd stuff like JoJo or TMNT.

I dunno if you've checked ebay lately but green goblin DC sticks aren't really cheap (~50 bucks or so). Local pickups may vary of course

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

I Am The Scum posted:

I have a quick stick question. I wanted to get the one in the OP, but it is no longer being manufactured, and costs far more than it should. Is there a current alternative available?

To put my situation into perspective, I was interested in trying out a stick, as I have a mild interest in fighting games, and have only been using my standard 360 controller up until this point. I don't want to spend too much money for a stick, only to find out that they're just not right for me. $70 is probably my limit, and I would rather not purchase something used.

If it matters at all, I prefer 3d games over 2d, particularly Soul Calibur.

what system? like the man said the 360 Brawlstick is 50 bucks on Amazon right now. the button layout is different from the SF4 models (it's set up like HDR default) and I guess you can't drop in a Kitty for easy multiconsole but the stock stick and buttons are good enough to learn on. A JLF is about $25 if you decide you want something better down the line.

and yes those MadCatz Fightpads are pretty good. imo the D-pad isn't quite as good as a Saturn controller but otherwise they're actually better for playing claw style thanks to the bigger face buttons. get a 360 model if you're worried about compatibility with PC I guess, and if it ever breaks you can use or sell the PCB for padhacking purposes

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

The best home version is the one for Dreamcast, but the ps1 version of 3 is acceptable. The Saturn version is better, but thats how all 2D games are.

I think the psx version has extra stuff from Hunter 2 and Savior 2 to make up for not being as good as the Saturn version, which just added the cut characters back in.

and I had weird graphical issues with Chronicle for Matching Service on DC but that's probably due to a janky cd image or something. Saturn VSav is the best reason to own the 4MB RAM cartridge though.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

This also seems like an interesting alternative, but that shroyuken thread doesn't provide all the information I probably need. Lots of systems mentioned as supported, but not the Wii? Xbox 360 problems; something about needing to remap the keys manually? And more importantly, it's not clear if I will need USB <-> to, say, Gamecube adapter and so on for other systems.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Actually the way the legacy console support works on the Kitty/Cthulhu is to install an ethernet jack in your stick and wire up old controller cables to RJ-45 plugs, so there's no converters involved. Here's the thread about that.

As for Wii compatibility, anything worth playing with a stick should accept a GC controller so it's probably a non-issue.

Broken Loose posted:

What in the world are you wanting to play on the Cube/Wii with an arcade stick?

Other than TvC, I know for a fact that the KoF Orochi collection is on Wii because a dude in my school's fighting game club brings it sometimes. I think there's also a Wii version of GGAC, and there's the GC port of CvS2. Plus shmups and maybe some stuff most people don't play with a stick like Soul Calibur and Smash Bros I guess.

e: beaten but yeah

Honestly if I wanted a Wii stick I'd just mod a TvC stick. You can get them used for like 20 bucks on ebay and SRK and they're piss easy to mod.

there's really no need to mod it if it's going to be used for Wii, pretty much the only people who complain about the TvC parts are spergs on SRK and it's not like any tournaments are gonna be run on Wii anyway.

Anime Reference posted:

Just use MAME you weirdo.

not everyone has or wants to have a computer hooked up to their tv though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Untrue. The gate on the TvC stick is bad and its pretty much impossible to reliably do any kind of move that requires a 360 since several of the diagonals are very bad at registering inputs. The SE and Brawlstick have the exact same issue.

fair enough, I don't play 360 characters so I haven't really noticed. (disclaimer: I only moved to stick from pad a few months ago so I am by no means an expert.) I do know a few people irl who actually prefer the MadCatz buttons because we have huge peasant fingers and they're slightly stiffer though.

E: I still think this exchange on SRK is hilarious:

Jock Mocken fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 30, 2012

• Locked thread