Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

apophenium posted:

Is that a Zero Suit Samus color for Parasoul? :swoon: Also that music is awesome. I love Michiru Yamane.

The best part about Zero Suit Parasol is that she wears pants, yet still manages to have pantyshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Tae posted:

So dumb that an indy group can have great sprites which allows ggpo later on and Capcom keeps churning the 3D models that prevent anything good.

You cant really be mad at Capcom for that. Remember, lots of idiots see 2d graphics and immediately think the game must suck. No Im not kidding.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

3D models however are vastly more cost and time efficient to work with.

For reference, Skullgirls has been in production since before Street Fighter 4 was released.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

For reference, I have a basket of apples while you have a basket and a half of oranges.

Yeah after posting that I realized that the sprites werent the ONLY reason its been taking so long.

Ok how bout this. It took SNK about two months per character to draw the sprites in KOF12.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

SNK is a company with a fighting games division. Also, the KOF12 sprites are lower resolution and have fewer frames than the Skullgirls sprites. Finally, the artwork of KOF12 came first, with the gameplay and balance later or never.

Point being 2d sprites take long as hell to make. You actually just proved my point that eventhough they arent as good as skullgirls sprites and they have a whole fighting game division, they still took ages to draw. 2D takes a helluva lot longer to make than 3d.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

2D looks better though.

This is irrefutable fact.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

What, pray tell, looks so bad about MvC3?

According to some random guy I talked to once, because they looked 'cartoony'

He hopes that on the sequel they actually put some effort towards the graphics.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

Wait a minute. Is this tournament held under the free ratio system?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

UFGT had a New Super Mario Bros Wii tournament that I think was linked earlier in the thread.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Basewars has an SNES sequel?!

Edit: Oh, its NEO GEO and not a basewars sequel. Still, robot baseball!

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 4, 2011

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

SWEET JESUS! Why isnt this in my collection RIGHT loving NOW?!

Edit: Thanks for the tip about the SNES version. Genesis it is!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

KingShiro posted:

LevelUpYourGame is now doing their own version of Excellent Adventures with Tekken 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZrIBqS9yfQ

Skipped ahead in the video

*bad audio quality*
WEOOOO!!!
Can I say penis on this?

*close*

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

The video was actually pretty good though.

Ok Ill give it another try. For you.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

If that doesnt come to America on Xbox Im gonna be mighty sad. I cant afford a PS3 right now.

I still dont even have Arcana Heart 3 in my life :smith:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

demons_souls posted:

teh. Is Rise and TEddy two of the fight characters. They had their portraits.

Its reasonable to assume Teddy will be, but in P4 Rise doesnt fight. I wouldnt be against her being the announcer or something.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Officejet Pro posted:

So I just got back into fighting games and I already have a stick the issue is that i need to be able to use my stick on an xbox 360, so far I have found plenty of 360 to ps3 adapters but none that are PS3 to xbox 360, does anyone know where i could find some ?

Getting stuff to work on 360 is a lot harder and more expensive, as all 360 accessories need a special chip or something. The best way is to just buy a 360 stick and modify it to also work on PS3.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Jock Mocken posted:

DoA2 is good for proving that the Dreamcast didn't "have lovely graphics" because it looked better than the PS2 port (and Soul Calibur).

There are only two kinds of people who didnt know the Dreamcast had good graphics. Those who have never seen the Dreamcast, and blind people.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

MadRhetoric posted:

http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?p=1009077#1009077

gently caress kanji.

You would

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Buhbuhj posted:

It would be cool if people weren't babies over an anime-ish artstyle.

No you dont understand! ANIMES ruin the PURITY of my manly FIGHTING GAME WITH FIREBALLS! REAL MANLY AMERICAN MEN ONLY

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Can we stop having this argument for the millionth time.

The problem with your proposal is that Anime is to Games what Religion is to GBS. It would be like asking a bird to stop chirping.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Whats different about Melty Blood AA Current Code vs regualar Melty Blood AA? Ive been meaning to pick up AA for PS2 and wanting to wait for Current Code hoping it would cause the PS2 one to drop in price, but if Current Code is a significant improvement Ill just bite the bullet and throw my money away.

Will it be buyable alone, or would I actually need to buy the Carnival Phantasm bluray?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Popehoist posted:

The PC version we're getting is 4 revisions along from the PS2 version. After the PS2 version we had MBAA ver.A, Current Code, Current Code 1.05, and we'll be getting 1.07. There's quite a lot of differences, and if you're intending to actually play the game with friends there's not much point to buying the PS2 version much like there's little point to buying SF4 or BBCT these days.

Wow, thats quite a bit more updates than I realized. Any word yet on the game on its own yet? I really would rather not buy Carnival Phantasm just to get the game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

YFDHippo posted:

I do magically play better :colbert:

I hope you remember to smear pizza grease all over it before using it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Zaodai posted:

Total newbie, started playing SSF4AE with some friends, so I picked up a Mad Catz TE stick for Xbox 360 after reading reviews about how great it was.

It's a nice stick, though it's taking me a bit to get used to it. I have a question, though. I know it's got a selector for Left Stick, Dpad and Right Stick. SF4 will accept input from either Left Stick or Dpad, but is there one that is "better" or does that just change where it sends the input to the 360?

It came defaulted to Dpad, and I was having problems with HCF motions not always coming out, so I tried switching it to Left Stick which helped quite a bit. But I'm wondering if it was just a placebo effect and I started focusing more on making sure the motion was accurate. Is there actually a difference between the two output modes or is it purely in case a game you play doesn't support one output or the other?

Thanks.

Its placebo. No matter what the stick only has 4 directional switches anyways. Leave it on Dpad no matter what, stick mode has a little input lag for some reason.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Yeah nothing to worry about aside from losing expensive equipment for several months for no reason. If that's routine, welp...

Haha, you think hes gonna get it back at all. To be so innocent again...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

This is weird. Not only has My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic not been Cease and Desisted like crazy, but they're actually making progress on the thing. They even did a live stream thinger for it earlier this month. For a free to download fanmade fighting game based on a childrens cartoon, it looks pretty darn fun so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR9qtgIi3Rw&feature=player_embedded

Also the best part of the stream is "Will arcade sticks work? LOL I dunno, if not use joy2key!"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

What surprises me more about this thing's existence is that it doesn't look like a bad game!

I hope they don't ruin it with bad voice acting, or unnecessary "nyaah"s and "uaaaaaaah~"s.

Actually they chose their Twilight Sparkle actress and she sounds close to the real thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYdKEjmJhDA&feature=related

Theyre currently doing Applejack auditions I think, and I saw one on youtube that also sounded real close to the real thing. If that trend keeps up I dont think the voices should be a concern.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Metrohunter posted:

Yes, sticks work fine with this game as it's in the engine. Not sure it's Fighter Maker though.
e: or at least I don't remember the devs saying it was Fighter Maker when asked in their livestream. They did say it had native stick support though!

In their FAQ they mentioned using Fighter Maker 2002 because it was a good balance of ease of use and functionality.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Elephantgun posted:

Don't forget about Blazblue: Continuum Shift: Extended Edition: "The 3 characters you already bought as DLC + 1 more but we're re-releasing content you already have that isn't compatible with your current version so you have to buy it if you want to play online": For PS3/Xbox360

Extend wont be another free update?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

PalmTreeFun posted:

Weird. Last time I checked (which was probably when I was like 16 years old or something), it hadn't updated in years.

In fact the update from this year was 1.0

It was a beta for like what, 12 years?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Couldnt it be possible that CS Extend could still be a downloadable patch, but they just havent announced that yet? Wasnt AE announced only as a disk at first?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Next time anyone runs a Smash tourney charge a large entry fee and give the winner the whole pot, all to ensure a very large prize nobody would want to walk away from.

Leave all items on, ban no stages or characters. Have a few planted players here and there to pick normally banned stages and characters to taint the whole group.

Watch the chaos ensue! CHAOS!!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Shiki Dan posted:

If CvS3 is made, get the loving Ultimate Match team to do it, not Dimps.

That's all I ask.

Then it wouldnt be CvS, it would be SvC :colbert:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Schmendrick posted:

I'll take steroid characters over broken game mechanics/hitboxes, but that's just me. Whoever made SvC should be ashamed of themselves for making such a broken, horrible game.

The worst part about SVC Chaos is that SVC Match of the Millennium, a handheld fighting game from several years earlier, was so much better. How the hell did they manage that?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Countblanc posted:

I was gonna go with "Fight Club" but they said "Fighting" had bad connotations (even though they're aware it's a club for fighting games).

Fisting Club

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Policenaut posted:

"hey guys you wanna get together on friday to play some street fighter? cool see you then" Club

What if its on Tuesday, huh smart guy?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

chumbler posted:

but that just goes back to the usual problem of fighting games generally having awful or nonexistent tutorials (BB of course being an exception.)

You should really check out the tutorials in Virtua Fighter 4 Evo. I have no idea why more games dont have anything nearly that good.

VF also has the only fighting game singleplayer mode that I dont hate!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Anyone remember My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic that was brought up a couple times earlier in the thread? The developers just posted a new update about one of the mechanics. This game is sounding better the more I hear, basically the anti-SFxT.

quote:

The Magic system is what really gives each character their own personal touch. Each character has a certain unique skill which they can utilize in limited amounts, similar to BlazBlue's Drive system. There are several primary types- an automatically refilling type, one wherein you have to manually stock charges to utilize, and one wherein you have a finite stock. There are, however, possiblities where types may be merged, and of those featuring the manual charge type, one character may have a different NUMBER of charges to use than another. It is this function of the game that will allow for a deeper layer of strategic gameplay.

For example, Twilight has a manually charging type of Magic...

Wherein, once she reads her book, a section of the meter charges, up to three.

Once she has three meters stocked, she can either use them one by one to place traps to help control spacing...

or...sink all of them into placing a larger, harder hitting trap...

or lastly...

use them all to super charge her projectile, allowing it advanced speed, damage, and different properties than her normal projectiles. As everyone's Magic is unique to themselves, it will allow for very unique styles of play, and will allow for inventive players to do incredible things!

Its amazing how much these guys are trying to make something actually GOOD! They couldve easily just gone the lazy route and threw together some lovely Mugen sprite dump then internet mouthbreathers wouldve hailed them as visionaries, but no they actually appear to give a gently caress.

Edit: I also love the image of the horn in the fireball, an obvious reference to the Hadoken hands.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Waterbed posted:

That really isn't that unique of an idea and also that game looks really bad because every character looks the same, normal move wise.

Also it's based of my little pony which isn't really bothersome to me, but it makes it so you can't really differentiate limbs and basic attacks through use of a character design's contrast, making it a much harder game to read than normal.

But the only two characters completed enough to show off didnt have the same normals at all. Its true that each character basically having a Drive button isnt the most unique idea, but since when did 'done before' mean 'not good'

The similarity of the pony bodies though, that might be a problem. If their animations are different enough it could help your brain figure things out I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

That being said, it looks like it could be fun for about 5 min before being dropped by most people except for hardcore pony fans. Has there been any information on what kind of other set-ups or abilities these characters might possess within the system.

There hasnt actually been very much shown off about the game yet. Only two (not yet complete) characters, some small writeups on how theyre trying to make it play, and the 'Drive' system, which so far they only posted how Twilight's is gonna work. A couple months ago they did an hour long stream which looked pretty fun, which they came out saying was an old build and theyve done a bunch more since then.

Also theyve posted a few of the animations.

S-Alpha posted:

I haven't really played it since getting into FGs on a higher level, but that's mainly because the developers seem to have this intense aversion to consoles. But hopefully those rumors about MBAACC 1.07 getting a proper console port pan out. And, hey, there's still the hilariously overpriced PC version.

Has there been any word on that coming out stand-alone? I really want that game, but dont wanna buy Carnival Phantasm to get it.

• Locked thread