Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

PalmTreeFun posted:

So if I'm not mistaken (from what I heard on the stream), apparently you can patent the MvC2 button layout, which means Capcom can deny anyone the ability to make a game with that button layout.

:wtc:

I don't know enough about patent law to say if you can or not, but I did a quick search of the USPTO database and Capcom has never applied for a patent on a button layout. They did apply for a patent on, well, I can't tell what it is...

Patent application #20100267451 posted:

A game machine is provided that displays an attack direction in a 3D virtual game space when a player character is attacked, such that the human player can readily recognize the attack direction. In the game machine that activates the player character and an enemy character that attacks the player character in a 3D virtual game space, the direction of the attack received by the player character from the enemy character is acquired based on player position information indicating the position of the player character and enemy position information indicating the position of the enemy character in the game space. Damage marks which are objects that indicate the attack direction are generated at positions corresponding to the attack direction in a player region set around the player character, and at least a part of the game space, including the player character and the damage marks, is displayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
One thing to keep in mind is that the market is going to be pretty drat saturated with fighting games in 2012. You have UMVC3, SFxT, KOF XIII, SCV, and TTT2. Add in AE2012 and you have six competitive fighting games, and I doubt many people will spend the time and money to play all six. I'd say the community is big enough to generate serious hype for three, maybe four games, and two of those slots are taken up by AE and UMVC3. This is the absolute worst possible release window for Skullgirls and any other fighting games, by releasing in early 2012 they are setting themselves up for failure. I'd suggest that if they have to delay, they delay until the 2012 Christmas buying season, anything sooner and there won't be enough people buying it to really build up the player base needed for a big success.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I think that the games that have the best netcode will win. Developers are dropping the ball on this, most of them are programming with the idea that their game will be played in arcades, and then trying to retrofit online play later. That approach will only get you so far. In order to have a really great online fighting game, you need to be thinking about online play from Day 1, and designing the game under the assumption that everyone will play it online. If Skullgirls becomes more than a niche title, it will be because of that reason, but the use of GGPO tells me that they are still subscribing to the old way of "Design for offline first, then slap on some netcode later." I haven't been following the development process that closely, so hopefully I'm wrong about this.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Gamest Mook posted:

What the hell are you talking about? GGPO is the best online solution there is for fighting games.

GGPO is great, sure, but that isn't my point. Let me use an analogy here. My car isn't designed to go off-road. I could spend a ton of effort and money to modify it to improve it's off-road capability. However, no matter how good those modifications are, my car still wouldn't have anywhere near the performance of a purpose built off-road vehicle.

Adding online capability to these games is like adding off-road capability to a car. If you start with the idea that you are designing an online game, you'll get a better result. If you try and add it in later, no matter how good you are, you'll get an inferior result because you are dealing with the limitations of the original design.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I also think that the buy in on a lot of these tournaments needs to be raised. If you're spending hundreds of dollars on a flight and hotel room to go to a tournament, I think that it should be for more than a $10 tournament. Who wouldn't pay a $50 buy in for a major? The only people I can think of are casual local players who would be out early anyway, and I think the higher fee would make up for the lack of pot monsters. Heck, EVO is a $70 venue fee for a $10 tournament, if they raise that to $20 they double the prize pool, because it wouldn't affect entries at all. Maybe go even further, I wouldn't mind seeing a $500 buy in "Masters" event at EVO alongside the regular tournament, and it would attract a lot of viewers because it would feature constant high level matches.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Boxman posted:

Does anyone else prefer Sagat as the giant fucker that he is in HDR and SFIV? I love a lot of the sprite work in ST, but I never liked him being so lanky.

Comparing ST to SF4, it looks like the entire cast have been using way too many steroids in the interim.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Plus, chances are your brand new super secret tech will be up on youtube and SRK in a few weeks. That, or there is some non-obvious counter that the few people you share it with aren't seeing, so you end up finding out about it when you go to a tournament.

Also, playing against low tiers is very beneficial, especially if you are serious. Filipino Champ got eliminated from a major tournament because he didn't know the mechanics of Arthur's Level 3 super. If you have characters that don't get play in your scene, make a point of playing them online or pick them up yourself so you know how they work.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Schmendrick posted:

Did they close the registration for NEC this weekend? Just when I got the cash to enter, I found out the deadline was the 28th (I wanna start checking out some PA/NJ/NYC tourneys). :smith:

I think you can register on site Saturday morning, they just closed the preregistration.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I don't think that many top players are "randomed out" at least in Street Fighter. Typically, the top players perform with a high degree of consistency at major tournaments. Sure, upsets do happen, but with the double elimination format the favorite usually tears through inferior opposition in the losers bracket and isn't hurt that much. When was the last time you saw a top player get eliminated by an unknown in Street Fighter? Now Marvel is an entirely different beast, but I think even that wouldn't be much of a problem if they made the matches 3/5.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I'm surprised that there is so much work being put into the MLP fighting game. If this actually gets near release and is popular at all, I'm willing to bet it will be killed by a C&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Wezlar posted:

If this fgtv thing works I think the key will be getting lots of different people to come play. Hopefully they house people who come out for tournaments and stuff. Because no matter how good they are I'm pretty sure most people aren't going to watch 4 guys run sets for 24 hours a day

I can think of a pretty lucrative opportunity for random people to stay as part of a coaching arrangement. I'm sure a lot of people would pay serious money to have coaching from some of the top FG players in the world, plus they get a place to sleep if they need it.

• Locked thread