Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

Because rec hockey players are also NHL hockey fans and want to emulate what they see on TV.

Which, to be fair, these days is also a lot of just throwing the puck on net at every opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

More or less, but there's still a few highlight trick goals every year and that keeps the dream alive.

I couldn't tell you how many mites I've seen working on Hertl's goal this past year.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

More or less, but there's still a few highlight trick goals every year and that keeps the dream alive.

I couldn't tell you how many mites I've seen working on Hertl's goal this past year.

That's just because Hertl is awesome and they want to be like him.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Levitate posted:

Ah hah, I knew Gretzky scored a faceoff goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWNJOSGouxw&t=635s

Haha, this video is awesome :allears:

edit: yeah, if you're just playing road hockey with some random guys, if you get a decent shot on net it will go in probably half the time. Last time I played there was probably a goal scored every few minutes. It's crazy how good the defence/goaltending is in the NHL when they can play a full 60 minute game against the best goalscorers in the world and only let in about 2 or 3 goals.

Number Two Stunna fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 19, 2014

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Robo-Pope posted:

On a side note, in that ridiculous year where Lemieux scored 160 in 60, he was on pace to beat #2 Lafontaine by 51%, which doesn't put him at the top but stuffs him right in with all those Gretzky seasons. He was also on pace for 97 goals, which would be the NHL record by a margin of 5.

Not that he was better than Gretzky, he probably wasn't, but the guy was an incredible goalscorer.

I know this is super late, but after years and years of reading the great Gretzky/Lemieux debates, the best response I have for Gretzky is this: Lemieux's career, like Orr's, is a huge "what if?" However, Gretzky actually did those things that Lemieux could have done. This is why Lemieux is usually ranked as the fourth best player of all-time. The top three are Gretzky, Howe, and Orr (take your pick), and Lemieux barely trails behind. After that, there's a pretty huge gap between Lemieux and whoever you want to put fifth (Harvey? Hull? Beliveau? Richard?).

A post one month late.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think there's a fair argument to be made for Bobby Orr being the best player of all time. What he did was absolutely ridiculous.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Twin Cinema posted:

a pretty huge gap between Lemieux and whoever you want to put fifth

BALD
HEADED
CHAMPION

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

a false posted:

BALD
HEADED
CHAMPION

I really wish in those stupid Can-Am Spider commercials Mess is in that he'd drive off while crunching down on a potato chip.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

I think there's a fair argument to be made for Bobby Orr being the best player of all time. What he did was absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, that's why I said take your pick. I am a fan of the 1a, 1b, 1c ranking for Gretzky, Orr, and Howe, because each player has something unique from the other two players that makes them have a legitimate case for best player of all-time.

a false posted:

BALD
HEADED
CHAMPION

For a small time in the 90s, I think I only knew Mark Messier as the Lay's potato chip guy.

This is not a true statement, but I really want to emphasis for anyone who wasn't around how loving often they would play the Messier Lay's commercials.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Do hockey advanced stats have an equivalent stat for goalies to baseball's ERA+ for pitchers? Essentially a simple stat to compare goalies from different eras?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Hockey reference has GA%

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DannoMack posted:

Do hockey advanced stats have an equivalent stat for goalies to baseball's ERA+ for pitchers? Essentially a simple stat to compare goalies from different eras?

Hockey reference has a column titled GA%- which is more or less what you're looking for, but goals against average isn't looked at that much with goalies since it's as much a function of how many shots a team allows as it is the goaltender's actual ability. I should also add that H-ref's stat is based on more voodoo than just goals against average so use at your own risk.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Thanks!

I didn't realize that lower was better at first and was wondering why everyone sucks.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Really when you think about it, goalies are the worst.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DannoMack posted:

and was wondering why everyone sucks.

To hear fans describe it, all hockey players on their favorite team do in fact suck. Every other team has all the best players.

Paradoxically when good players are traded to a fan's favorite team, they suck too.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

xzzy posted:

To hear fans describe it, all hockey players on their favorite team do in fact suck. Every other team has all the best players.

Paradoxically when good players are traded to a fan's favorite team, they suck too.

Austrian Mook and Duro sure tell a different story.

E: vvvv :smith:

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 3, 2014

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

This is actually true for the Rangers though

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Except for Jagr, who basically played with :effort: with the Capitals but has worked his rear end of with pretty much every other team he was with including the Rangers.

Danforth05
Jun 11, 2011

Why is mice sech cowards?
A cursory look through the forums has yielded nothing, so I thought I would ask here.

Are there any goon-affiliated hockey pools? My usual group fell apart last year and I was hoping to line something up come October.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Danforth05 posted:

A cursory look through the forums has yielded nothing, so I thought I would ask here.

Are there any goon-affiliated hockey pools? My usual group fell apart last year and I was hoping to line something up come October.

Normally one or two will pop up before the season, usually in The Armchair Quarterback forum.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Danforth05 posted:

Yes, follow DOOMocrat's advice. I know of three leagues off the top of my head: LOLHL, Fed League, and the HHL. I am pretty sure there is one other league. For the leagues I am involved with (LOLHL and HHL), they are both looking for new people every year. The HHL is a keeper pool, if that peaks your interest more.

Danforth05
Jun 11, 2011

Why is mice sech cowards?
Cool. Thanks guys.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
My local rink just announced that there will be no more stick time, putting one more pickup game in its place.

They said it was because stick time always filled up and they want to get more people on the ice—so why not just have a second weekly stick time? Instead you're going to have a game with 15 people on each bench, with no accounting for skill levels.

No more practice time at all, which I think is the pits.

:(

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

a false posted:

BALD
HEADED
CHAMPION

still one of my favorite promos ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7orVIVroXrU

fake edit: is there hockey coaching chat anywhere?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Question for all you rule experts out there, is the puck technically out of the zone when it breaks the plane of the neutral zone like a football touchdown? Or does the puck need to entirely cross into the neutral zone so you see white between the puck and the blue line? I was always under the assption that as long as it was touching the blue line it's still in the offensive zone, the reason I ask is because the Rangers got called for offsides tonight when the puck was still on the blue line but touching the neutral zone. I'm not sure if that's the right call or a bad call.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Jovial Cow posted:

Question for all you rule experts out there, is the puck technically out of the zone when it breaks the plane of the neutral zone like a football touchdown? Or does the puck need to entirely cross into the neutral zone so you see white between the puck and the blue line? I was always under the assption that as long as it was touching the blue line it's still in the offensive zone, the reason I ask is because the Rangers got called for offsides tonight when the puck was still on the blue line but touching the neutral zone. I'm not sure if that's the right call or a bad call.

To be in (or out) of the zone, both skates have to cross the line (entirely). Same with the puck. It's like a goal, it doesn't just have to break, it has to clear

If the play was moving fast, I'm sure it was just a missed call

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Jovial Cow posted:

It's the same as a goal- the whole puck has to cross the whole line.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Jovial Cow posted:

It doesn't appear the NHL rulebook actually stipulates this.

Buuuut…the USA Hockey casebook states:

USA Hockey Casebook posted:

The determining edge is the edge further from the zone in which the puck is located. Rule Reference 630(a).

I imagine this is the same in the NHL, but I can't find the casebook online.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

This is from the 12-13 NHL rulebook online:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/pdfs/2012-13_RuleBook.pdf
code:
83.1 Off-side - Players of the attacking team must not precede the puck
into the attacking zone.

The position of the player’s skates and not that of his stick shall be
the determining factor in all instances in deciding an off-side. A player
is off-side when both skates are completely over the leading edge of
the blue line involved in the play.

A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or
on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses
the leading edge of the blue line regardless of the position of his stick.
However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the
line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,” provided he
had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the
blue line.

It should be noted that while the position of the player’s skates is
what determines whether a player is “off-side,” nevertheless the
question of an “off-side” never arises until the puck has completely
crossed the leading edge of the blue line at which time the decision is
to be made.

If a player legally carries or passes the puck back into his own
defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in such
defending zone, the off-side shall be ignored and play permitted to
continue.
I don't know if they bothered putting a newer one online

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

myron cope posted:

This is from the 12-13 NHL rulebook online:

That doesn't address the issue of when the puck has left the zone, though. I too would assume the entire puck needs to cross the line (a la USA Hockey) and that it was just a bad line call.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

See also Hockey Canada off-side situation 10. The "N" in NHL.

I'd love to see that NHL case book though.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

PFlats posted:

That doesn't address the issue of when the puck has left the zone, though. I too would assume the entire puck needs to cross the line (a la USA Hockey) and that it was just a bad line call.

You're right, I suppose, it doesn't deal with that at all. But, I would assume (and it may be foolish to assume) that it would work the same way exiting the zone as it does entering. And that's how I've mostly seen it called too

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Word is the return of the World Cup will be announced during All-Star Weekend in my neck of the woods.

How did/does the World Cup differ from Olympic play, and does one mean the NHLers probably won't be in the other?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Word is the return of the World Cup will be announced during All-Star Weekend in my neck of the woods.

How did/does the World Cup differ from Olympic play, and does one mean the NHLers probably won't be in the other?

There's less games and no weak teams so it's a bit more íntense.

It's before the season so everyone is somewhat rusty.

Rules, refs and schedule is tailored for North Americans which makes Euro fans whine even more than usual.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It is also less exciting because the players don't care all that much

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but I heard that the final might be best of 3 which would be hilarious.

Good to see this thread back.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Kennel posted:

There's less games and no weak teams so it's a bit more íntense.

It's before the season so everyone is somewhat rusty.

Rules, refs and schedule is tailored for North Americans which makes Euro fans whine even more than usual.

It also makes the proper IIHF WC worse, so it's bad for hockey in Europe. Especially for nations that are excluded

:norway:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

CBJSprague24 posted:

The NHL is never going back to the Olympics unless someone in the US or Canada is dumb enough to pay to host them

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

The World Cup is basically a glorified exhibition tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Having your career be over at 40 must be pretty hard. Is there some sort of support network for old retired players? I'd imagine this would be something the NHLPA would be involved in.

• Locked thread