Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awkwerd paws
Dec 30, 2012

weezy kiss baby on the lips in the rap city basement
what should i know about the islanders right now asides from comically bad brooklyn seating arrangement and ziggy palffy john tavares + matt moulson when i catch them on MSG3+ 4am rewind. i learned everything i know about hockey from EA NHL 99. i know the rangers bought the only good hockey player in ohio but no one talks about the isles. even on 24/7 new york sports radio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I have basic network tv at my house (don't ask, I found the place on Craigslist) and I'm wondering if it is worth my money to pay for the streaming feature on GameCenter. I'm in Southern Illinois so we get Blues games, but I'm a Blackhawks fan. I've got an ipad and a computer that I'd be able to stream from.

I guess what I'm getting at is how often would Chicago games actually be available to stream on GameCenter? How exactly does it determine which games are available?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have GCL and can choose home or away feeds. What teams have great commentators I should look for? What teams have terrible commentators I should avoid like the plague?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So in the NHL, do backup goaltenders tend to get quite a few games? Backup goalies only seem to get to start dead rubber games or ones where the main is injured in the EIHL, but I think I heard most goalies don't start two games in a row in NHL teams.

Guess it's something to do with the much faster speed.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

McDragon posted:

So in the NHL, do backup goaltenders tend to get quite a few games? Backup goalies only seem to get to start dead rubber games or ones where the main is injured in the EIHL, but I think I heard most goalies don't start two games in a row in NHL teams.

Guess it's something to do with the much faster speed.

It depends on the teams and the goalies. Calgary will probably have Kipper play 45+ games this season, where other teams that have goalies that are much closer together in skill will have a much more even ratio.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

guppy posted:

I have GCL and can choose home or away feeds. What teams have great commentators I should look for? What teams have terrible commentators I should avoid like the plague?

The answer to both halves of this question is Jack Edwards, Boston.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pat Foley and Eddie Olczyk. :colbert:

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

guppy posted:

As a Penguins fan:

Paul Steigerwald
Bob Errey

Both get filed under terrible.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pretty sure the Avs' Mike Hanes and Peter McNabb are consistently in the running for most boring/homer play-by-play.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I think Doc Emrick could make a game of shuffleboard sound exciting.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Individual people's names mean nothing to me unless accompanied by the name of their local team, like Dangerllama did with the Avs. Sorry, but I'm new and I don't know who anyone commentates for unless you tell me.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I appreciated the discussion of the Blackhawks on the last page. I'm from the Chicago area and have a lot of friends who support the Hawks. I've been to a couple of games, but I didn't really know what was going on. I'm going to try to get more into it this year.

Also, I spend a lot of time in Ft. Wayne, and I've been wanting to go to a Komets game. Anyone know anything about them particularly? They play in the ECHL, I know that.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Hello Towel posted:

I appreciated the discussion of the Blackhawks on the last page. I'm from the Chicago area and have a lot of friends who support the Hawks. I've been to a couple of games, but I didn't really know what was going on. I'm going to try to get more into it this year.

Also, I spend a lot of time in Ft. Wayne, and I've been wanting to go to a Komets game. Anyone know anything about them particularly? They play in the ECHL, I know that.

The Fort Wayne Komets are in their first year in the ECHL and are the affiliate of the AHL Norfolk Admirals, who are the affiliate of the Anaheim Ducks. This means you'll see some Ducks org guys on the team, which I think are Ryan Hegarty, Garrett Klotz, Luca Caputi, and Marco Cousineau (maybe some others, not sure what's up wtih Corey Elkins). Right now, their best player is Brandon Marino, who was not allowed to go to the ECHL All-Star game because he's over 25 (I believe). They seem to play the Cincinnati, Toledo, Evansville, and Kalamazoo a good deal.
If you're on Twitter, @JGKomets is a good follow for information.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

guppy posted:

The New York Rangers have the good fortune of having one of the best play-by-play guys in broadcasting (Sam Rosen) and one of the worst color guys (Joe Micheletti). Enjoy!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Hello Towel posted:

There are a few very knowledgeable Hawks fans here, and I'm willing to answer any questions you may have too. The Hawks are looking pretty solid right now, as long as ray emery isn't playing.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

awkwerd paws posted:

what should i know about the islanders right now asides from comically bad brooklyn seating arrangement and ziggy palffy john tavares + matt moulson when i catch them on MSG3+ 4am rewind. i learned everything i know about hockey from EA NHL 99. i know the rangers bought the only good hockey player in ohio but no one talks about the isles. even on 24/7 new york sports radio

their backup goalie is signed until literally 2021 and gets hurt every time he plays which is never but it still happens, also they recently picked up a bunch of defencemen from teams who didn't want them anymore and so far it has been proven that one of them who is named Joe Finley is very bad. they have a good player named nino niederreiter who is swiss and played over 50 games last year and scored 1 point and that was because he was playing 5 minutes alongside guys who are a thousand years old and bad - now they are not bringing him out of the minors at all. travis hamonic is a good defenseman and you should like him. matt martin broke the nhl record for hits last year and you should also like him. that's it i guess

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

a false posted:

they are a flaming shitpile with a couple decent young dudes from sucking so much

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

xzzy posted:

Pat Foley and Eddie Olczyk. :colbert:

Foley is getting senile (or been hitting the sauce) and confusing players that haven't played for over a decade. Olczyk has his tired old catch phrases and otherwise stupid commentary. Still better than some other crews around the league, though.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Good announcers: Sharks

Bad announcers: Penguins play by play (their color guy is awesome screw you)
Sabres play by play
Red Wings (both)
Ducks (both)

I don't remember who else has good ones. Dallas?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Blues TV guys are fantastic: John Kelly who has been around forever, Darren Pang who is severely underrated and needs a national job, and Bernie Federko who got shoved between the benches when Pang came on.

Pang in particular is awesome, he's probably my favorite color guy right now.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Pang is "holy jumpin'" bad. Dallas Daryl Reaugh is the best commentator. The Detroit duo is obnoxious.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

Blues TV guys are fantastic: John Kelly who has been around forever, Darren Pang who is severely underrated and needs a national job, and Bernie Federko who got shoved between the benches when Pang came on.

Pang in particular is awesome, he's probably my favorite color guy right now.

Pang contributes to TSN, I think he's fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Emetic Hustler posted:

Foley is getting senile (or been hitting the sauce) and confusing players that haven't played for over a decade. Olczyk has his tired old catch phrases and otherwise stupid commentary. Still better than some other crews around the league, though.

That's exactly why I love them. Dumb tired jokes and a drunk commentator, it's a break from what everyone else does and it's great.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

myron cope posted:

Ralph and Razor are pretty drat good, much better than this market deserves.

http://video.stars.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=0&id=172115&cmpid=embed-share-video

I love Razor's Joe Buck impression.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

That's exactly why I love them. Dumb tired jokes and a drunk commentator, it's a break from what everyone else does and it's great.

It's atrocious. They're distracting, annoying, and often obviously wrong. For example, Pat Foley has no idea how to say "Michalek" and Eddie Olczyk praised niklas Hjalmarsson multiple times for going out of his way to "finish his check" in the neutral zone, leaving him miles away from his coverage in the defensive zone. And those are just 2 examples from last night.

Greg Brock
Feb 28, 2008

myron cope posted:

Good announcers: Sharks

Bad announcers: Penguins play by play (their color guy is awesome screw you)
Sabres play by play
Red Wings (both)
Ducks (both)

Bob Miller and Jim Fox of the Kings do a great job in my view, but I'm biased as hell, so your mileage may vary on that one.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lawnie posted:

Pang contributes to TSN, I think he's fine.

Wasn't Pang the guy who dropped the "White Way" line when comparing Subban and Pietrangelo?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DOOP posted:

Wasn't Pang the guy who dropped the "White Way" line when comparing Subban and Pietrangelo?

That was him, and he felt real bad about it. Having done live broadcast, it's awfully easy to screw up and say the wrong thing (it's usually bad practice to ask the coach on the air "what the players need to do to have sex tonight").

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

JT_Dutch posted:

Bob Miller and Jim Fox of the Kings do a great job in my view, but I'm biased as hell, so your mileage may vary on that one.

Jim Fox sounds like he has constant cottonmouth and has that weird inflection at the end of every sentence. Otherwise the LA crew has been pretty good from what I've heard.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
the islanders have howie rose who rules and butch goring who is unbelievably stupid but is funny (because of what an idiot he is). he gets everyone's name wrong, including players he sees every single game, and i'm pretty sure the islanders put Mark Streit and Brian Strait on the same pairing to give him an aneurysm.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Nashville's guys on Sportssouth can't enunciate at all and are generally awkward and terrible.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Any good general hockey blogs/news aggregator I should know about? Any blue jacket blogs worth checking out.

Also, convinced my Dad and lil brother to jump on the hockey train. I just increased the CBJ fan base by 30%¡

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

MonsterWalk posted:

Any good general hockey blogs/news aggregator I should know about?

Puck Daddy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks for the answers about commentators, everyone. Another question: how soon do they put up highlight clips after games? I assume they do do that. I want to show a goal from that Anaheim game to people.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

guppy posted:

Thanks for the answers about commentators, everyone. Another question: how soon do they put up highlight clips after games? I assume they do do that. I want to show a goal from that Anaheim game to people.

Depends on the event or the team. Some will have certain things (goals, fights, etc.) from the first period up by the middle of the second and others will take until middle of the next day. Best bet is to watch whatever team's social media outlets. Also I think Gamecenter can do live rewinds and highlights?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

guppy posted:

pretty quickly, usually. like a half hour at most when you go to the boxscore for the game on nhl.com

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Depends on the event or the team. Some will have certain things (goals, fights, etc.) from the first period up by the middle of the second and others will take until middle of the next day. Best bet is to watch whatever team's social media outlets. Also I think Gamecenter can do live rewinds and highlights?
Gamecenter does have Live DVR and typically logs shots and goals in the progress bar so you can jump to them, though it's about ten minutes behind the actual event when it comes to putting those clickable shot and goal icons down.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

MonsterWalk posted:

Any good general hockey blogs/news aggregator I should know about? Any blue jacket blogs worth checking out.

Also, convinced my Dad and lil brother to jump on the hockey train. I just increased the CBJ fan base by 30%¡

for your team specifically hfboards is great to wake up to if you only read stuff thats got CONFIRMED WITH LINK on it. usually someone rehashing twitter will have posted it

just dont take their opinions seriously or make direct eye contact

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

As a Detroiter, I'll accept comparisons to the Yankees, but since the lockout I'd say they're closer to the Lakers. Big-name team that's largely been successful and has a huge fanbase of bandwagoners who root for them simply because they're good. Anymore, they're not able to just go out and buy up every aging star who wants to win a cup.

I think this'll be the season they break their playoff streak, though. They didn't do enough to plug their defensive holes, which doesn't help a team that's always been based around having decent goaltending bolstered by a defense that reduces the number of shots on net.

I'm still rooting for the DBZ line, though. :woop:

*EDIT* I mean the season-long lockout mid-decade.

awkwerd paws
Dec 30, 2012

weezy kiss baby on the lips in the rap city basement

a false posted:

their backup goalie is signed until literally 2021 and gets hurt every time he plays which is never but it still happens, also they recently picked up a bunch of defencemen from teams who didn't want them anymore and so far it has been proven that one of them who is named Joe Finley is very bad. they have a good player named nino niederreiter who is swiss and played over 50 games last year and scored 1 point and that was because he was playing 5 minutes alongside guys who are a thousand years old and bad - now they are not bringing him out of the minors at all. travis hamonic is a good defenseman and you should like him. matt martin broke the nhl record for hits last year and you should also like him. that's it i guess

that seems like everything i really need to know, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I'm watching my third game right now, but one thing I can't get used to is trying to keep track who's on the ice. It's making it hard for me to learn anything about my team, so about how long does it take for someone new to the sport to get used to the substitution difference?

The two sports I watch a lot is soccer and baseball, both of which rarely have any swaps going on, and when it does happen it's really obvious. This hockey stuff is bananas.

• Locked thread