Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Topoisomerase posted:

"Dump and chase." Very original. ;)
There's also the variation called the "Chip and Charge" when a forward (in most cases) possesses the puck, flicks it down the ice after crossing the center red line, and then tries to maneuver past the defender in an effort to get to the puck first. The advantage of this play is the defender can't knock the forward who just chipped it in over or else there's an interference call. A lot of times you'll see the defender try and gently redirect the forward so he can push him off his lane. Refs usually allow a little contact, but as long as the forward still has momentum going forward, there won't be any calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

uinfuirudo posted:

A good thing to remember is the cycle can be used to tire out opponents and force them into icing the puck so the best line can get in against the lower lines and gain goals.

The second thing is that this leads to the strategy of taking shots into the mass of people in front of the goalie. Since the cycle takes a bit of time they are also trying to get the goalie to lose sight of the puck before shooting at where he isn't.

I think that maybe it would be a good idea to talk about the teams and why you should or shouldn't support them.
Another thing a constant cycle does is force an impatient team to go after the puck carrier and possibly trip/hook/slash/etc him and give the cycling team the powerplay. Long possessions in the offensive zone leads to penalties quite often.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, good question. As a Tampa resident and Lightning fan, I can tell you that most of the local chatter about the team is some variation of "why do we suck so badly on the power play?".
The issue the Lightning have is the Bolts really struggle to get set up in the first place. They can't get speed in on the blue line and the defenses can close the gaps and take the puck away before the forecheckers can get in there. The Lightning are very good when set up, and obviously have Stamkos to crank in one timers (usually on the goalies blocker side) along with St. Louis and Lecavalier. The Lightning lack a good puck moving defenseman, and the forwards keep getting bottled up by the D.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

CobwebMustardseed posted:

So is the goalie's other side called the long side?
Far side.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Look Around You posted:

I would guess he's wondering about what makes for a 2 minute 4 on 4 vs just two people going in the box for minors and it still being 5 on 5. Because I'm not all clear on that either.
I believe it's referee discretion in that case. As someone who's gone to a metric ton of games, when it's 5 on 5 and 2 people start shoving and trading roughing calls, it's always going to be a 4 on 4, however, if it's 4 on 4 or one team is on the powerplay and the same situation happens, they'll call coincidental penalties and neither team will lose a man.

I think it's something the league has told the refs to do. 4 on 4 brings about more scoring chances so they create that situation given the opportunity to call matching minors. However, they don't like to go lower than that if the situation presents itself.

Also to add when a player gets a 5+2, he and the guy in there serving the minor so the other team gets a powerplay are effective serving the penalty at the same time. The player serving the 5+2 won't get out until 7 minutes are up. So while there's a guy serving his minor, he still in essence has to serve it too.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Jordan7hm posted:

This is seriously my favorite video ever. So ridiculous that we would see that in an NHL game.
I was at this game. Usually you go to games hoping to see something you've never seen before, sometimes it comes in a hilarious way.

I was only hoping they wouldn't make a ton of new rules because of it though, and thankfully they didn't.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
One of the great things about live hockey is you can go to a bunch of games and see it play out differently with a new angle. Usually unless you're on the glass, about 15 rows up in the bottom bowl is the way to go. Being down low allows you to see how the puck skips around the ice, and gives you a better view of the game speed. Being up high allows you to see plays develop and broadens your scope a bit in case something interesting is happening off the puck.

So if you do plan on going to multiple games, sit in various spots to get a more complete overall perspective of everything.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Kennel posted:

As an additional tidbit, he didn't even have to score because the defenceman was hooking him during an empty net breakaway and those are automatically declared as a goal.

Would this have been considered a breakaway? The player never has possession of the puck until he shoots it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
A couple notes from ThinkTank's fantastic post:

- In that conference finals appearance year, Crosby and Malkin were hurt in the first round. Matt Cooke was also serving out a suspension in that series.
- As mentioned if you ever get a chance to read the ownership history of the Lightning, you're in for a treat.
- The Capitals are definitely the team we hate the most, and I hate that the realignment will likely kill this over time. Outside of the Panthers, the Lightning really have no history with division foes other than a couple of playoff series. We don't hold too much bad blood over Boston for their defeat of us, but Tampa Bay area sports fans generally despise of Boston in general (bleed over from the fact the local MLB franchise, the Tampa Bay Rays, views Boston as their biggest rival). The Flyers used to be pretty big due to the conference finals along with the Bucs and Eagles playing each other in 3 straight playoffs along with the final game and first game in Philly's old and new stadiums. This died down as both the Bolts and Bucs became poor in the mid 2000s with a little bit of a revival in 2008 when the two cities met in the World Series, but this is basically dead.
- The Lightning fanbase is by far the best of the three in the area. If the Lightning were to ever put up a half decade run where they were very good year in and year out, they would likely get to the point where a good Bucs team wouldn't topple them in popularity. Ever since Vinik took over as owner, the team has done a very good job selling tickets (with a huge season ticket base). Part of this was him doing a huge overhaul of the arena with the scoreboard and tesla coils mentioned along with a giant organ that takes up a couple sections of space. Here's a look: http://i.imgur.com/PFhN2ZB.jpg
- Our founder is legendary Boston Bruins forward and Hockey Hall of Famer Phil Esposito. He wasn't the best at selling the team to good owners, or running the show himself, but he's the reason the franchise exists in the first place. We even put up a statue of him: http://i.imgur.com/d3fWI5e.jpg

While the Winter Classic's may have taken our regular season attendance record away, we still have playoff single game attendance record. :cool:

• Locked thread