Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

schmitty9800 posted:

Can anyone explain how New Jersey broke things in the early 00's, and what the league did to fix it?
Essentially the Devils used a system called "the trap." It is pretty well defined in the OP, and it essentially means that entering the offensive zone is a nightmare. Keep in mind that pre lockout the NHL didn't have a zero tolerance rule for hooking, slashing, and so on... and two line passes were not aloud. While the trap is still an effective system today, it is not nearly as good. This is because you can no longer hold people up in the neutral zone unless you want a penalty, and cross ice long passes on the breakout can now happen.

The Devils, as mentioned, were particularly good at the system because of the players they had available. Stevens was a monsters in the neutral zone for one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

We did that too, on the way to this

If you ain't the Ducks, take a seat over there with Vancouver.
God drat I was sad when Hull scored. I loving hated the Stars back then. I never really understood why people could even argue it wasn't a goal, as the "foot in the crease" argument is sort of invalid when you're the one shooting.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
One of my buddies I played AA with growing up actually got drafted in the OHL, and a friend of mine's sibling is a current goalie for Michigan State. As for me, I ruined my chances at high level with busted shoulder and knee my Junior and Senior year. Now I just play as a shell of myself in beer league, and I like it. Hockey is more fun when you're not stressed about making a team and keeping ice time.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
It's fairly typical for a broken stick to be put in a passing lane until the next whistle, but what I'm sure is not common is someone shattering the stick even further after a shot goes directly off of it while it's in the lane. Good lord that thing got messed up. Pieces everywhere.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Screw all of you. If Datsyukian isn't a word, I don't know what is. :colbert:

• Locked thread