Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Zat posted:

Yeah, you get a penalty unless you do.
Yup.

This reminded me of a rule disparity between the NHL and IIHF books about helmets. While you can play without it in the NHL if it get knocked off, according to international rules the player must put his helmet back on or head to the bench. This actually resulted in Finland's 1-0 goal against the Czech in the olympics. Kubina, who was covering the front of the net, left to get his helmet from behind the net on the PK and left Hagman alone to redirect Niskala's shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=ybklq32PqXs#t=59s

larkko fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Eh, the idea is you're supposed to play the puck with your stick in hockey, which isn't a terribly bad idea. Faceoffs were an area where some guys decided the best way to play was with your hands and that was the first option.

I don't really like it either, but I don't mind that they're trying to address the issue. I don't know what the best way to go about this would be.
On top of all this unfair advantage stuff, didn't the NHL communicate that after the Giroux thing last playoffs, when he said that Crosby hacked his wrists to poo poo, they're starting to crack down on slashes and hooks that are directed to the hands?

Would make sense because putting your hands on the puck in the faceoff or in scrums is a busted up wrist waiting to happen.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

The pHo posted:

Hope this is the right place to ask this - I'm in NYC when the Penguins are in town, and it'd be really neat to see the team I've casually followed from an oceans distance over the last 10 years. I'm with a friend who's not really a hockey fan but he seems happy to go to the game, but naturally I don't want him to spend a load of money on something he might not enjoy. So simple question - in MSG, is it worth getting cheap seats or will it just not be fun? Any blocks to particularly avoid? From what I can tell, I'm relying on stubhub for his, so I'm guessing tickets are priced a good chunk over the face value?

I'm guessing maybe up to about $80 a ticket would be a rough spending estimate. If I'm being unrealistic just let me know!

edit: Block 224 is $125/ticket row 10, more than I was planning but enjoyable seats?
As another Euro who went to New York and caught a couple of hockey games, if watching the game in MSG isn't a priority, you could catch the Pens in New Jersey. There's a direct train to Jersey from Penn Station and the tickets are a bit cheaper there. The arena is pretty nice too. Also, if you're feeling adventurous, you COULD go to the Nassau Coliseum if the Pens are playing the Isles. The tickets are reeeeally cheap, but the travel there and back is a hassle and a half.

I had tickets in the pre-renovation Garden from the middle of the upper bowl and they were perfectly fine. I was sitting in the nosebleeds for the Devils and Isles games and they were also good, especially considering the price.

larkko fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 30, 2013

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

marioinblack posted:

One of the great things about live hockey is you can go to a bunch of games and see it play out differently with a new angle. Usually unless you're on the glass, about 15 rows up in the bottom bowl is the way to go. Being down low allows you to see how the puck skips around the ice, and gives you a better view of the game speed. Being up high allows you to see plays develop and broadens your scope a bit in case something interesting is happening off the puck.

So if you do plan on going to multiple games, sit in various spots to get a more complete overall perspective of everything.
This.

Also, sit at least once right on the glass in a professional hockey game. The speed at which players move and especially transition from defense to offense is unreal when you see it that close.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Tony Jowns posted:

So this gif just got posted in the N/V thread:

Can someone tell me why in gently caress there wasn't anybody in goals (or, as far as I could see, even a goalie on the ice)?
It was the end of the game and the Bruins were down by one goal so they pulled their goalie to bring in a sixth skater to try to tie the game.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

inferis posted:

Can you name some bad skaters too so I could look up some vids and compare?
Take your pick from basically any goons like John Scott, Derek Boogaard etc. All horrible on skates, as well as basically anything other than punching guys.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

What is the difference between "no-touch" icing and normal icing and does it make that much of a difference?

Also, and this is just coming from watching the olympics, but why does Jonathan Quick come so far out of the loving net all the time?
Quick and some other goalies come far out from the net to take out the majority of the shooter's angles. This can leave the goalie extremely vulnerable to cross-ice passes though, so the goalie has to use his judgement on when he wants to really come out.

e. Edited some wording. And stuff.

larkko fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Lawnie posted:

The rink isn't a football field wide so you can't just carry the puck in along the wall every rush like the Euros do.
A bit generalized, but basically right. In Euro-hockey you can pass or carry the puck over the blue line even if the opponent has four or five guys back with smart puck movement or personal skill. In the NHL this basically only happens if there are odd-man or 3-on-3 and 2-on-2 rushes because of the lack of space on the ice.

This also affects the tempo and flow of the game. In a Euro-sized rink the game has more of an ebb and flow to it, rather than just being rock-em-sock-em, high-tempo, dump-and-chase, agressive forechecking hockey as in the NHL.

Being a floaty Euro, I think they each have their pros and cons and enjoy both tremendously.

• Locked thread