Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

xzzy posted:

Aren't you not supposed to turn sideways to the shot like that?

Seems like a great way to destroy something important.

All the Rangers do it, and they're the blockingest team in the nhl.

Though Callahan taking Chara's slapper to the ankle did him in last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The dump and chase is organized offensive chaos. Instead of getting the puck stripped from you when you try to get into the offensive zone, you dump it in past the D and hope to outwork them for the puck, either outskating them or outmuscling them near the boards.

From there you usually pass it to one of the other forwards and start what's known as the cycle, aka all those boring passes where people yell "SHOOOOOOT! Shoot the puck!"

Then there's skating it in, where you literally skate the puck into the offensive zone. Defense tries to force the offense to the outside along the boards, since it offers a worse shot and runs them out of room. Offense will 1) try to pass it across to an open teammate 2) Get into a battle along the boards when the offense and the D eventually collide 3) Try to do something to get to the inside of the Defense, or 4) drop pass to a teammate coming up behind them. The hope is that the defense is out of the way of the offensive player who came up from behind.

[NOTE: This is just my view of how things work and what I see.]

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

CobwebMustardseed posted:

At what point does being a guy who fights a lot start to be a drag on the team? Sometimes I’ll see a guy lose his temper during a game and start shoving someone or hit someone with his stick, etc. Whenever this happens, I always think, “Well, that was dumb. Now you’ve given the other team a power play and opportunity to score.” Is there some value here that I’m not seeing? If the guy you go after just keeps a cool head and skates away then all you’ve done is put your team at a disadvantage. Even if you’re successful in getting a guy to square off with you, it doesn’t seem like you’re doing the team any favors.

If you are a team that is riding on your goalie's shoulders, and somebody takes a run at your goalie, they might not necessarily get a penalty, but you sure as gently caress don't want them thinking that's okay. So somebody tells the guy that's not kosher by roughing him up, at the cost of taking a penalty, maybe taking him to the penalty box, too.

Maybe the guy gave your teammate a nasty elbow to the face, so you want to crush his face in. If there's no repercussions for dirty play, be it a penalty or a fist, a dirty team might intimidate another, scaring them because "gently caress that, I don't want to get concussed." Though sometimes I think that's a stretch.

Mostly, though, I don't get it either. If somebody does something questionable, they should get a penalty for it. I'd like to see fighting, or at least the Enforcer role, get penaltied out of the game. And it sort of is getting phased out. Sure, it still exists, but I don't think it's near as bad as it was. I'd rather see the game played out.

I think I'm finding myself more wanting to rant against staged fights. Like when a questionable hit happens, and next shift or next faceoff, two goons duke it out right off the bat. gently caress off with that. Or if somebody lays a clean hit that happens to hurt somebody and everybody has to start fighting. C'mon, hit was clean, get on with it. (Note: I'm not saying that play should continue when somebody's bleeding out on ice or otherwise seriously hurt, but if somebody gets their clock cleaned on a clean hit and they're just shaken up, it shouldn't be grounds for stopping play.)

I don't know if I answered the question. Sometimes you have to let the other guy know that something is not okay. And if there is a fight, the other guy goes in the penalty box, too, usually. I think most players won't go in to fight if the other guy isn't feeling it, because like you said, it'd be silly to take a penalty like that.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

"Guys, I'm done with this."

Oh, no you're not!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

New York state law mandates that I hate all Boston sports teams.

and I ain't no lawbreaker. :colbert:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I don't know if a super-obese person's joints could take dropping to butterfly

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

aw yiss posted:

Guys I need help picking a team to root for help (i am from NY):

Rangers - everyone here seems to hate them and all of my friends like them and I dont like my friends but lundqvist seems pretty sweet.
Sabres - my cool roommate junior year of college liked these guys (their logo is cool as heck).
Islanders - my dad likes them and my gf is from long island but i hate long island.
Canucks - i dunno why I am drawn to them but I really am and their old logo owns. it seems like they might not be that good in the coming years though i dunno?

For instant gratification, a yelling coach and sexy gently caress of a goalie, please hit 1
For moderate disappointment, press 2.
For larger disappointment with a small nucleus of wonderful young talent, press 3.
Don't press 4.

I'm a Rags fan who also roots for the Isles because my family does. Ain't no reason you can't be fans of multiple teams. (I tried to root for Buffalo to complete the NY trifecta, but I couldn't get into it.)

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Weird, I've only ever heard to that referred to as a Gordie Howe hat trick.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Okposolypse posted:

A penalty was called on the opposing team. The player serving it couldnt exit the box till a stoppage in play even though the time expired. Additionally nobody off the bench could enter the game for him. Isles avoided freezing the puck and steetched a man advantage past its expiration cause no stoppage meant no return to even steength. Ir was bizarre and Howie Rose had to figure it out on the fly IIRC because it was so bizarre and a play you never see.

Also Im pretty sure it involved a substitution for who was serving it so they could keep thier guy as a PK option but Isles made that read and the teams gamble sort of cost them.

Does anyone remember this? It was againsy a western conf team I think, want to say the Coyotes.

I remember this happening against the Devils. Pretty sure it was a goalie penalty and the Isles got almost an extra minute of man advantage.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

John Scott.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

W.R.T. bad ice: It's funny when NHLers fall down because it's great to be reminded that in the end, they are, in fact, just some guys on ice. So, you know, positives to all that.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

How many sports are interspersed with players engaging in fisticuffs? :colbert:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Isles, Rangers, Columbus since they became Rangers West, and I like seeing the Canadiens do well since I like HAS and they have some awesome guys on their team. I don't know if I'd count myself as a real fan of Columbus or Montreal, but I watch as many of their games as I can, and unless they are up against NY, I root for them.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

In the NHL you are not allowed to spend more then a certain amount on your players' salary. This amount is the cap. But you're also not allowed to spend too little. That's the cap floor. When a player signs a contract, they might sign for $20 million over 4 years, or $5 Mil per year. So for this year, that player's $5 million in salary is going to count towards the cap. Along with all the other players signed to the team, this has to be under the salary cap. You will usually have some wiggle room between your salary and the cap. This is the cap space. It is a good thing to have. Your team is doing what it is doing cheaper than other teams, and that allows you to sign Big Name Star for butt tons of money if you wanted.

Next year the salary cap is I think $64.3 million. The CBA negotiations that gave us the shortened season decreased the cap from this year to next, which is worrying some teams. You see, the salary cap is tied to the revenue in the NHL. When the NHL makes more money, they tell teams it's cool to spend more money. So this is putting a lot of teams in the danger zone of being too close to the cap for comfort. The Red Wings might take advantage of this and reap the benefits of other teams shedding some extra players.

Then there's the goddamn Islanders who traded for Tim Thomas, who will never play (they don't actually have to pay him if he doesn't play) just to use his cap hit to reach the salary floor. If their owner felt like ponying up the cash to do so, they could spend a oodles to sign players to play almost in NYC. But as of right now they got to the playoffs with pretty much less than the legal amount of salary.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Wolfy posted:

So I've pretty much been a fan of the NHL my whole life but I didn't watch a lot of sports from 2006-2009 because I was being a drug addict somewhere. Why on earth was Rick DiPietro signed to a 15 year deal?

Also, the Isles owner had a huge loving hardon for the guy. Drafted #1 overall, projected to backstop the Isles to many a cup, stickhandling much like Brodeur. He WAS supposed to be the next greatest goalie ever, but constant groin injuries, knee injuries, basically the stuff a goalie needs to work, kept him from ever living up to the hype.

I do feel kinda bad for the guy. Most everyone on Long Island is a Rangers fan hates him, basically because he's constantly injured and can't play the game he loves, and can't be the Isle's stud he was supposed to be. He battled with depression apparently, understandably so.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Wow. That is good fuckin' effort post.

E: what think tank wrote. Didn't want to quote all that.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Zat posted:

Mother of god :stare:

Hooooooooly poo poo.

God drat

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Did anybody mention Hartnell? It's a running joke that he keeps falling down.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lpMxc4fZNU

Systems can lead to funny things.

I've always thought of I guess three different sub-systems a team will use that make up a larger, whole system for a team. How they work in the offensive zone, how they work outside their defensive zone when the other team has the puck, and how they work in their own defensive zone. How do you attack? How you stop the other team from attacking? How do you deal with the other team when they ARE attacking?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Not what you're asking about, but I do seem to remember that after an entire 3 periods and overtime, the Isles pulled Nabakov and put in DiPietro for the shootout.

(they lost.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

xzzy posted:

To hear fans describe it, all hockey players on their favorite team do in fact suck. Every other team has all the best players.

Paradoxically when good players are traded to a fan's favorite team, they suck too.

Austrian Mook and Duro sure tell a different story.

E: vvvv :smith:

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 3, 2014

• Locked thread