Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

myron_cope posted:

I edited the second post in. Nobody gave me an updated list, so :dealwithit: (or just tell me who to add/take away. I particularly didn't include draft picks)

You could add RJ Umberger and/or Antoine Vermette for Columbus if you wanted. Umby deserves mention as he hasn't missed a game since he was picked up for a couple picks in 2008-09, has been a ~25 goal scorer consistently, and has become the de facto captain/leader of the team.

That and he pissed off the Blues in the halls of Nationwide during their pre-game soccer game last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DOOMocrat posted:

No joke. When the All-Star Game was in Dallas and Bettman "reassured" Hull it was a good goal it was the hardest I had groaned about hockey since Ray Ferarro went off on Loui Errikson for missing the empty net and calling him a bad player. Seriously Ferarro, where do YOU get the balls?

Wasn't that Patrik Stefan that Ferarro reamed after missing the empty netter, or are we thinking of two separate EN gently caress ups by the Stars?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Do guys coming out of retirement/back to the NHL (Selanne, Sundin, Radulov, etc.) require much adjustment or time to get their legs back under them for the NHL game? The reason I ask is I'm looking at picking up Radulov in a Fantasy league, but don't know if it'll be a wasted roster spot if he may not do much while re-adjusting to the Preds system.

I know this has happened before, but I never paid that much attention other than being aware that guys came out of retirement or back from overseas. Is it like riding a bike or will it take a few games?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Late to the party and because somebody has to do it, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate...

Look Around You posted:

Some advice though: One team that you do NOT want to root for is the Columbus Blue Jackets.

blackshreds posted:

Thanks for all the info!

I don't think I could handle another losing franchise what with my Cleveland sports misery, so I'm def trying to find a regularly competitive team. Leaning towards the Flyers for now.

Also, as a side note, having not really ever paid attention to the NHL before I still somehow knew that the Blue Jackets suck rear end.

If nothing else, you could give Columbus a shot as a second team in the West if you pick the Flyers as your #1. (I have a trio of Pens/Caps/Bolts that I pull for in the East). Whenever they DO figure it out and get into the playoffs, you could be along for the ride, which is a great feeling. Like for me in 2008-09 when the CBJ got in and, after watching a couple not-so-great seasons between the lockout and that year, had a feeling of "They did it" :unsmith:.

Our GM is a dumbfuck, but you can pull for an Ohio team and you could say "I watched them when they SUCKED" whenever said GM or our dumbfuck ownership get it together.

Nationwide's a 12 year old arena that still feels new, with a cannon (yes, replica Civil War cannon installed in the arena) that's fired after each goal and a new video board coming next season. The Arena District is nice.

The fan base, unlike what some people think, is good, loyal, and informed about the game (to the point where HFBoards fan-led grassroots protests actually took place outside the Arena in January in the hopes of ousting management because they'd finally had it), with no assholes like you'll find with some fan bases. Once the CBJ started to play decent hockey late in the going (16-14-1 over their last 31), the fans got back into it. The last home game of the season (against the Isles) was a blast. If and when the CBJ actually build a winner, Nationwide is going to be a fun, noisy place to watch a hockey game.

There has also been speculation that, at some point, the CBJ wants to link up with the Lake Erie Monsters (Cleveland) as their AHL affiliate. If that happened, you could go to Cleveland to watch the "kids" play and, for those that make it to the NHL, say "I remember when...". (Again, like me with Trevor Frischmon, who played for the ECHL Dayton Bombers and, eventually, got to Columbus).

e- The "spending to the Cap" didn't start until this year when Howson said "I guess I'd better do something..." and picked up Carter and Wisniewski. Believe it or not, they were a budget team prior to this year.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 10, 2012

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Playing NHL 12, I just won the Cup with the CBJ and have the Calder Cup Final still to play with the Springfield Falcons. Which brings me to a question I'd never really thought about:

In a situation like this where the NHL team is finished with their season but the AHL Playoffs are still ongoing, would the NHL team send players on two-way deals down (in my CBJ's case, Byers, Atkinson, Johansen, MacKenzie, Giroux, Williams) to provide reinforcements to the farm, give them the summer off, or let the players decide for themselves? Is there something in the CBA, etc. that allows or prevents this from going on?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

myron cope posted:

I don't think NHL 12 prevents you from sending them down, though.

And it handles waivers wrong. It goes by 2-way deals, which only really deal with compensation (2-way have separate AHL and NHL salaries, 1-way don't. It's why Wade Redden still makes his 20 million a year*--and no escrow!). NHL 12 treats anyone on a 2-way deal as waiver exempt. Really, your waiver eligibility is determined by number of NHL games played + number of NHL seasons (or is it age?). And I think maybe "emergency" vs "regular" call-ups. But I'm not sure on that one.

*not his actual salary

Thanks for the info. I figured there was something against allowing eliminated/Cup winning NHL teams to stack the farm. Makes sense.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

How is it that players in Junior will put up ridiculous point totals, sometimes over 100+ points, only to have those numbers tumble to Earth once they get to the AHL or NHL?

For example, Boone Jenner put up a whopping 45G 37A 82P in 56GP last year in the OHL, numbers which would be insane/Gretzky-like in the NHL.

Is it the lack of, for lack of a better term (because I know there are a pile of prospects down there), "talent" as compared to playing those players in the NHL? Sort of a "Men vs. Boys" thing?

myron cope posted:

Like last time, I updated the list of "players to watch" in the second post. If it's wrong, let me know.

I'd throw in your choice of Dubinsky or Anisimov for the Jackets. Looks good other than that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jody Shelley once had a 44 point season in the Q. We know how that translated to the NHL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Word is the return of the World Cup will be announced during All-Star Weekend in my neck of the woods.

How did/does the World Cup differ from Olympic play, and does one mean the NHLers probably won't be in the other?

• Locked thread